We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Armor: craft it or grind it?

So, I have a level 68 warden I'm cruising along with. I've been using pretty much whatever gear I get as quest rewards, and it's served me well thus far. I'm just curious: I see some sweet armor kicking around, like the Moria or Lothlorien sets, and some of the Reputation gear. Is this stuff worth grinding instances for Medallions and such, or working my tailoring up to make my own? I play primarily solo, focusing on Epic Quest and most of the solo side-stuff, so I don't think I need the su[er-uber-bestest gear, but it would be cool to have at least one special set or something.

Thanks!

That depends on how fast your leveling is going. If it's quick then just take what you get from quests until you hit 75. If it's slow and easy then at that level you can start getting crafted armor sets at that level that are better than what's in Moria or Loth.

Now if you are wanting the armor for cosmetic reasons then have at it.

Lightbulb

We are at days to the new expansion release. You my not even have enough time to grind the whole set & by when you get it whole, will be time to replace it for 1 better. Craft the set sounds better & then you can use the spare time on more effective ways to improve your character or to level alts.
    By the way, you already out leveled the Moria sets. They do nice cosmetics, but you can already wear better sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholaas1981 View Post
    So, I have a level 68 warden I'm cruising along with. I've been using pretty much whatever gear I get as quest rewards, and it's served me well thus far. I'm just curious: I see some sweet armor kicking around, like the Moria or Lothlorien sets, and some of the Reputation gear. Is this stuff worth grinding instances for Medallions and such, or working my tailoring up to make my own? I play primarily solo, focusing on Epic Quest and most of the solo side-stuff, so I don't think I need the su[er-uber-bestest gear, but it would be cool to have at least one special set or something.

Thanks!
    At your level you could head into Dunland and start collecting nice armor, one piece at a time, from quests there. This will be much faster than any other method. The reputation armor is good too. Dunland loot items are doled out piecemeal. So are Dunland level crafted items. I have a full set of crafters and they only made a couple pieces for each of my characters in Dunland. The rest came from loot and rep quartermasters.

The crafted armor evens out starting in Rohan. You can make a nice critted, crafted, set for level 80 and a great set for 85. I presume Helm's Deep will continue this with a level 90 crafted set.

On the other hand, you can take the time to get through the rebuild Hytbold series in Rohan and get an amazing set of "reputation" armor. That takes some time at 84-85, and best to read the guide to determine exactly what level of reputation you need and which buildings must be completed for each piece of armor.

On the third hand, when Helm's Deep is released in a few weeks, it may render Hytbold armor moot. By the time you complete enough Hytbold to get most of a set, you'll be past level 85 and capable of getting better armor (I presume) from Helms Deep loot.

If you don't mind the work and time involved in levelling up crafting, then you may want to start working on this now. Go back and look over your unfinished deeds for things to kill which drop hides to feed your crafting needs and to complete virtues and gain a trickle of TP at the same time. Once you get this up to your current level, it's easy to keep it there in future expansions so you have the luxury of crafting yourself a complete set of critted armor when you reach a milestone level.

All the above verbiage kinda boils down to: They all work out about the same in the end, so do whichever is the most fun for you.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    [url]http://www.theoldergamers.com[/url]

I have a full set of maxed crafters and enjoy making the best things I can for all my characters - part of my fun in this game, but I think you can get along just fine on quest rewards - it's certainly not worth the gold to buy good crafted gear that you will outgrow quickly with levelling being so quick. Crafting is more of a fun thing for me or my kids would be running round in whatever they picked up.