We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Need Some Legendary Item Advice

I seem to be incredibly unlucky with my Hunter. I know what legacies I would like. I know I need to eventually deconstruct them to get a scroll so I can swap out a legacy item on a new weapon. Great. The last 30 Hunter LI bows/crossbows I have identified had not one critical legacy. In fact, of the 7 legacies I want I have not seen 4 of them in the last 30 LIs. Is this normal?

Is there another approach to getting a second or first age bow and being in a position to swap out the legacies on it? If it was another class I would just go buy some in the AH, but hunter weapons, especially bows are about 1-2 Gold each. about 10-20X most other classes.

is there a better approach? Am I missing something? To make matters worse the last two 2nd age bows I got do not have a single legacy I would like to keep.

I don't know where you are in the game, but I found that in Moria the barter currency for LIs (rusted dwarf tools, khuzdul tablets, etc) drop non-stop. I had over 100 of each by the time that I finished Moria, and I was still keeping and deconstructing Hunter LIs as I found them. If all you're doing is leveling them to be deconstructed, I've never had any issues getting more than enough LIs for that. I've got plenty of barter currency, 8 LI slots filled at all times, and at least a dozen items in my vault that have dropped from mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcferrin View Post
    I don't know where you are in the game, but I found that in Moria the barter currency for LIs (rusted dwarf tools, khuzdul tablets, etc) drop non-stop. I had over 100 of each by the time that I finished Moria, and I was still keeping and deconstructing Hunter LIs as I found them. If all you're doing is leveling them to be deconstructed, I've never had any issues getting more than enough LIs for that. I've got plenty of barter currency, 8 LI slots filled at all times, and at least a dozen items in my vault that have dropped from mobs.
    I'm level 85 and my problem is with my Hunter. I seem to be getting about 10% of my drops are Hunter (9 in the last 100). yes, I'm unlucky *sigh*. Of these 3 have been bows/crossbow. None of them have any of the legacies I need. On other classes I can purchase more stuff in AH. But hunter LI costs on my server are through the roof. Bow/crossbows are going for 1-2 gold most of the time.

unless I'm missing something there isn't the same options to use barter currency to get LIs at level 85 as there were at lower levels. BUT, if I'm wrong SOMEONE please tell me where.

BTW, my last two 2nd age bows did not have a single legacy that I would really want to keep.

Just out of curiosity, are you leveling the LI's to 31? More often than not, when I first identify a LI, it doesn't usually have much that I would want, but when you level it up and reforge, you get to add legacies. That's when I end up finding the ones I need. I always will level them to 31. That gives me three rounds of reforging, and a better chance to find one decent legacy to pull off when it gets deconstructed.

If you're not sure how to do this, just slot it in your LI panel, but you don't have to equip it. It took me forever to figure out how this stuff works (hopefully one day I'll actually know what I'm doing!)

I hope this helps!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arbornal View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are you leveling the LI's to 31? More often than not, when I first identify a LI, it doesn't usually have much that I would want, but when you level it up and reforge, you get to add legacies. That's when I end up finding the ones I need. I always will level them to 31. That gives me three rounds of reforging, and a better chance to find one decent legacy to pull off when it gets deconstructed.

If you're not sure how to do this, just slot it in your LI panel, but you don't have to equip it. It took me forever to figure out how this stuff works (hopefully one day I'll actually know what I'm doing!)

I hope this helps!!!
    thanks. I've been going to 60 before deconstructing. I used to go to 30, then 40. It hasn't been helping. As I said, I have amazing runs of bad luck. I've had two 2nd age bows sitting doing nothing for four weeks because I can get the right scrolls to swap out the dumb legacies for good ones.

On other classes I can normal buy tons of LIs from the Ah at average cost of about 30-50 k and see what I get. With average hunter bow/crossbow sitting at 1-2 gold I could easily spend 60-70 gold and still not get everything I need.

SavinDwarf, if you're looking for legacies, it only makes sense to go up to level 30. You get a new legacy at 10, 20 and 30, but 40, 50, 60, and 70 only upgrade a legacy tier. If you're also going for relics/shards, it is advisable to level it to 31 for better relics on deconstruction.

That should save you a little bit of time.

Aside from that, your aim is to increase the number of hunter LIs in your possession. I would check in your kin to see if you could round up a couple people to farm an orc encampment or something with you. If your kin is full of selfish people, maybe you could find one on glff. Glff can be a rough place ("/joinchannel glff" to enter and '/leavechannel glff' to leave', but there may be a couple good eggs who'd help you out. If that doesn't work, post in your server's forum (or just tell us your server's name here) and you're likely to get help.

I personally don't save any LIs that I can't use. The AH payoff is too low for the effort/space for me. So that means, if you're on Nimrodel I'd send you a couple hunter LIs for free.

//Edit: As far as bartering for LIs. It takes 1776 marks and 135 medallions at the skirmish camp to get a 3rd age 85 sword. And I think you can make third ages at the relic master using shards. I don't know how much it costs for that.
    Last edited by Elfedlied; Jun 30 2013 at 06:57 PM.

The only reason my 85 Hunter has decent 3rd age LIs is because I was levelling Guard, Cappy, Champ, Warden, and Hunter to 85 over the same period of time and shared good LI drops between them. I also crafted LIs once a week for several of my characters.

It's all luck. The only thing you can do is kill humanoids for more drops or craft if you can.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    [url]http://www.theoldergamers.com[/url]

Also worth remembering that you don't have to use level 85 LIs to be able to get the legacies you want.

You can get the same legacies from any level LI and lower level ones will be cheaper.
    [center][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?18699-How-to-get-help-on-the-Tech-Forums-and-how-to-contact-Turbine][color=gold]How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine[/color][/url]

[color=green]Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.[/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    You can get the same legacies from any level LI and lower level ones will be cheaper.
    This part is incorrect. The item needs to be at least level 75 to extract a scroll for up to 85, lower level items will not do.

SNy

Theres always the Lotro store, though they are expensive, 795TP each I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SNy-lotrolinux-EU View Post
    This part is incorrect. The item needs to be at least level 75 to extract a scroll for up to 85, lower level items will not do.

SNy
    Yes, you're correct, I wasn't clear in what I said, thanks for correcting it. Lower level LIs will give you the scrolls, just not too low.

I was mainly just saying that they don't have to be level 85 which are the ones that many people are posting on the AH at silly prices.
    [center][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?18699-How-to-get-help-on-the-Tech-Forums-and-how-to-contact-Turbine][color=gold]How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine[/color][/url]

[color=green]Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.[/color][/center]

I have definitely been getting scrolls that will go up to level 85 items off level 70 LI's (it *might* even be level 65 ones - I deconstructed two at level 52/54 ish and I'm pretty sure at least one was a level 65 - was going to 60 with them but needed the slots for a couple of class LI's.

They definitely weren't level 75's, because my character is only level 73 now (was level 72 when I deconstructed them think).

Don't forget, you can meld class LI's and weapon LI's off the Relic Master for shards. You can trade Tools and Tablets for Fused Bronze Relics as well (Twenty-first Hall and maybe other places I haven't come across yet) , plus of course, buy them with Marks at a Skirmish camp (7 marks each if I remember right).

At 85 you should rack up large amounts of marks very quickly from skirmishes.

At level 72, I had about 28,000 shards without even really trying (I just get some Fused Bronze Relics now and again when I have a quiet 10 minutes). I salvage the relics at T4 which seems pretty efficient.

Crafted relics are also a rich source of shards as well if you have a good selection of alt crafters.

PS I think I still have a level 65 LI levelling up (if not I will get one - or something between 65 and 70, or both), and if I salvage it and get a usable scroll, I'll update the thread. I'll level it up to level 60 though, so may be a while.

eta: Ok I had two LI's, one level 65, and one level 66, so I burned a couple of runes and took them both to item level 60

Level 65 Mace deconstruction - Minor Weapon Legacy - no level limit (938,000 IXP rune back too). It is 179 shards to meld a level 65 LI for reference.

Level 66 Dagger deconstruction - Major Weapon Legacy - no level limit.

Hope that helps.

eta2: As an aside, it's interesting that the salvaged relics off the level 66 Dagger were much better than off the level 65 Mace. Both had T1's installed (I fill up all the slots on the salvage LI's other than the crafted) from the moment they were slotted. The 65 Mace was mostly T4's and T3's, the level 66 Dagger was mostly T6's and T5's (that may be random though, I haven't done that many to compare). Not important if you want legacies of course. I have all 10 slots available for LI's on both my characters that can use them (it seems very worthwhile).
    Last edited by WychHazel; Jul 04 2013 at 09:14 AM.

You can also make 3rd age bows at whatever tier you have mats for, and use those to find legacies.

Regarding the item level, on occasion when there was a particular legacy I just couldn't find on a level cap item, I found lower level items that had the legacy (or at least were cheap on the AH), leveled them up, deconstructed at level 30, put the legacy into a higher level weapon, leveled it to 30, deconstructed and put the legacy into another weapon etc., etc., until I got a legacy that could I could use on my level-cap weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by WychHazel View Post
    I have definitely been getting scrolls that will go up to level 85 items off level 70 LI's (it *might* even be level 65 ones
    You're very likely mistaken due to the deconstruction result window not actually showing the constraints for the scroll.

Items need to be at least level 75 to give you scrolls that go up to 85.
    I remember being very annoyed with the fact the Turbine changed the first bridle you get from the quest to be level 71 instead of 75 like before, partly due to the resulting scroll being useless for me.

They definitely weren't level 75's, because my character is only level 73 now (was level 72 when I deconstructed them think).
    [...]
    Level 65 Mace deconstruction - Minor Weapon Legacy - no level limit (938,000 IXP rune back too). It is 179 shards to meld a level 65 LI for reference.

Level 66 Dagger deconstruction - Major Weapon Legacy - no level limit.
    Screenshot, or it didn't happen.
    For reference, level 65 book yields max level 75 scroll:

eta2: As an aside, it's interesting that the salvaged relics off the level 66 Dagger were much better than off the level 65 Mace. Both had T1's installed (I fill up all the slots on the salvage LI's other than the crafted) from the moment they were slotted. The 65 Mace was mostly T4's and T3's, the level 66 Dagger was mostly T6's and T5's (that may be random though, I haven't done that many to compare).
    The relics you get out from deconstructing have nothing whatsoever to do with the relics you had slotted before.
    The results have also been changed a while back so that it finally makes sense to level items all the way up.

For items starting at 76, when leveled to 60, you can get T7 relics. I assume it goes down one tier every 10 levels lower (for reference, the 65 book above yielded one T5, so starting from 66 I would expect T6).

HTH,
    SNy

I don't do internet newb 'screenshot or it didn't happen' nonsense, because I could care less what you or anybody else thinks.

While freshly extracted and in my pack, there was no reference to any level restriction on either of them *at all*.

I know that, because the OP was interested in usable scrolls, so I immediately checked. Both of them. Not even a up to level 85.

I then put them in my vault.

However (and it is a big however), having just gone to the vault to double check, there is *now* a level restriction on them of maximum level 75 (which should still be plenty good enough for the OP to be going on with, and to do what he needs to do). I repeat, there was no mention of *any* level restriction while they were in my pack. None. Nada. Zilch.

Interestingly, two other scrolls that were in my vault, and both previously level 65 maximum, are now *also* level 75's. Say what the heck?

Now those two, are REALLY puzzling. O.o

I now wish I had saved all the lower level ones instead of selling them (eta: they were too low for the level of the weapons I was then using). /sigh

"The relics you get out from deconstructing have nothing whatsoever to do with the relics you had slotted before."

It's computer software, never say never, and with no such thing as pure random number generation, and things like preferred paths, for what it costs (basically nothing) I'll carry on thanks.
    Last edited by WychHazel; Jul 04 2013 at 04:31 PM.