We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Frustrated with LM =\

I'm working on Book 3 Chapter 5 part 2, and I can't find the spot for the elf stone to give me inspiration but aside from that, I have to get past level 35 elite mobs (I'm level 37 almost 38) and I keep dying just trying to kill them. I can kill one at a time, it takes awhile but doable, but when 2 comes I just can't keep up and the heals are always on cd so I just die. Do LM's suck this bad or is it just me? I really love LM and want it to be my first 85 but I die so much I just log off and get discouraged that it won't get better. Any advice? Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by andinic28 View Post
    I'm working on Book 3 Chapter 5 part 2, and I can't find the spot for the elf stone to give me inspiration but aside from that, I have to get past level 35 elite mobs (I'm level 37 almost 38) and I keep dying just trying to kill them. I can kill one at a time, it takes awhile but doable, but when 2 comes I just can't keep up and the heals are always on cd so I just die. Do LM's suck this bad or is it just me? I really love LM and want it to be my first 85 but I die so much I just log off and get discouraged that it won't get better. Any advice? Thanks guys!
    I love my LM!

I will admit to not doing this book until I was OP. I'm not that into the Books for the most part.

That said, have you tried different pets? I love my cat (lynx), except when I need some tanking done. I find the bear (on lower levels) helpful for that. The bog-lurker cannot be beaten for tanking, but I'm sure you don't have him yet.

I would also suggest the usual: scrolls, food, hope, etc. Presuming you've done that and have your traits at a reasonable level, those elites are still going to be tough. You'll have to use your control skills--blinding flash, etc. to try and face one at a time.

Honestly, I put my other toons on the shelf for the longest time once I started this class and I never thought it was weak. It's just different. LM's can't blow things up as quickly as an RK (or even a mini), but they can slow mobs down, do good DOT etc. Your best skills--sticky gourd, sticky tar (handy for slowing things down), and storm-lore are just around the corner.

March of the Ents!

I have a toon in each of the classes. If you ask me which is the most fun, I'm going to say, immediately, "Lore-Master!"

Hang in there. Either gain a level or two or try to get some help.

Flanks are your main form self-healing as an LM until you hit 77.

Until then, check out the "convenient" potions that can be found on the LOTRO Store which have a much lower cooldown time than regular in-game-acquired potions, heal for less, but also have a HoT.
    Last edited by addict82; Jul 13 2013 at 08:16 PM.

Sounds good thanks for the advice and I love hearing people talk about the class they love If I can't find help I'll just wait until I'm 40 or so.

Yes we feel squishy at times. Honestly it sounds to me like you are rushing. I too had issues until later levels and then finally in the 80s, the game has changed so that on/slightly above levels are not a threat. Look for other entry points, drop down on them from above, use the tab key to select through the local mobs and see just how many there are. Plan an attack, not always but when it starts to feel not fun.

My biggest weakness was rushing instead of playing more strategic. The LM is supposed to be an "advanced class", a label that always kinda bugged me because personally I find the whole gamit/song thing more complicated - but, I suspect "advanced" actually stands for "you will cry more" lol.

Wandering mobs or "ads" (I think?) are the biggest threat to us because we see the 2, maybe 3 mobs we can control and then a big ugly shmuck enters the scene and we either run or fight...and die.

Armour and jewellery matter. If you can not get crafted made for you, or craft it yourself, search the auctions and add to the will, the fate and so on. An item with an extra 200 max morale is not a window dressing, it's a damage buffer of sorts. Every once in a while I play without a pet - in fact I more often go without lately. It builds confidence and the pet becomes a bonus. And most times they just seem to come upon a scene get up on their hind legs and shout " who's ready to rumble?!" while you fumble for a hope token.

Glad you like the class, it's my favourite for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidster View Post
    Yes we feel squishy at times. Honestly it sounds to me like you are rushing. I too had issues until later levels and then finally in the 80s, the game has changed so that on/slightly above levels are not a threat. Look for other entry points, drop down on them from above, use the tab key to select through the local mobs and see just how many there are. Plan an attack, not always but when it starts to feel not fun.

My biggest weakness was rushing instead of playing more strategic. The LM is supposed to be an "advanced class", a label that always kinda bugged me because personally I find the whole gamit/song thing more complicated - but, I suspect "advanced" actually stands for "you will cry more" lol.

Wandering mobs or "ads" (I think?) are the biggest threat to us because we see the 2, maybe 3 mobs we can control and then a big ugly shmuck enters the scene and we either run or fight...and die.

Armour and jewellery matter. If you can not get crafted made for you, or craft it yourself, search the auctions and add to the will, the fate and so on. An item with an extra 200 max morale is not a window dressing, it's a damage buffer of sorts. Every once in a while I play without a pet - in fact I more often go without lately. It builds confidence and the pet becomes a bonus. And most times they just seem to come upon a scene get up on their hind legs and shout " who's ready to rumble?!" while you fumble for a hope token.

Glad you like the class, it's my favourite for sure.
    Yes shamefully I admit if I die once then I rush things really bad, but I kinda like that you need to think things through and come up with a strategy. Ok so you say will and fate for jewelry (I do have an eastment jeweller ) should I be stacking will/fate for virtues as well? I changed them out to phys mit/resist virtues but I'll switch back if it will help. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by andinic28 View Post
    That quest is a PITA to be sure. It has been a while since I did it, but if I remember right you do not need to fight any elites before you can activate the elf stone to get inspired greatness. (There is more than one path to your goal. At least one of them does not require you to fight elites early, but you might have to avoid one or two that wander around.)

A tricky part is that the right place to activate the elf stone is when you are so close to a pair of elites that you *almost* aggro them. For a melee class that is no problem, but ranged classes usually try to attack before they get that close.

And no, it is not just you, and it is not just LMs. That quest is one of the more difficult in the Epic line.

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    That quest is a PITA to be sure. It has been a while since I did it, but if I remember right you do not need to fight any elites before you can activate the elf stone to get inspired greatness. (There is more than one path to your goal. At least one of them does not require you to fight elites early, but you might have to avoid one or two that wander around.)

A tricky part is that the right place to activate the elf stone is when you are so close to a pair of elites that you *almost* aggro them. For a melee class that is no problem, but ranged classes usually try to attack before they get that close.

And no, it is not just you, and it is not just LMs. That quest is one of the more difficult in the Epic line.
    Ok yeah I went and tried both paths but I'll be more careful this time before coming up on the elites to see if I get the warning to use it. Ha I found the path, there's actually 3 and it's the one right down the middle with hardly any elites lol
    Last edited by andinic28; Jul 13 2013 at 09:21 PM.

It first I thought you meant Freeing Dori, but you are doing the one in the grove right?

From your first post you said you couldn't find the spot to activate inspiration. Is that correct, or did you find it after a while? If you are doing it without inspiration then it will be tough as Inspiration gives you the hit point buffer to burn through everything. Its been a while and it wasn't my LM, but I remember that it was a pain to activate the inspired greatness, because you have to find the exact spot before you get to where the Elites are. Some good hints here :http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...ne-not-working.

If its generally against 2 elites, how I'd do it:

Make sure you are traited for a 30 sec Blinding flash which means 2 red (could do it with 3 red but unless you are confident with your timings the extra 10 secs will help)

Vitality food, regen food, Potions, and a Hope token, all will help to buffer you.

1). Start at range and mez one elite. Keep half an eye on it / the time. The most important thing is to keep it locked down.
    2). Pull the other to you with something non-AOE (sop command first as it won't agro). You want it far enough away from the other that whatever you do to it won't break mez on the other.
    3). for pet its either: Bear and try to get it to tank, or my preference Raven and use every flank (for healing unless you really don't need it).

At this point its down to your strategy for killing the first Elite. Personally my priority would be:
    Firstly keep the debuffs on (SOP: Command, Fire Lore, Gust of Wind).

Secondly Rotate your stuns to keep it out of the fight as much as possible (L.O.R.D, test of will, Imp Staff strike, bane flare), making sure you don't waste them with their immunity. -- Remember SOP: Righteousness if it does it to you (trolls and the like). Often for you stunned =dead.

Thirdly if there's nothing else; burn it down.

Lastly keep you 'get out of jail free' skills in reserve. Primarily Wisdom of the Council, but Herb Lore can give you a chance to back off and get the fight back under control. I always forget Call to the Valar, but if a Mez or root misses reseting them gets you another go. (It also resets your debuffs -- in particular Fire Lore, as a bonus).

Once you have one dead, go for the other. If you are beaten up a bit, you can keep it locked down until you are ready.

-----Having just finished the second half of this I just realized you can take them down one at a time, so I'm probably stating the obvious, but I'll leave it just in case----

See? We Lore-masters stick together. It's an awesome class. The forums are only part of helping, asking in game /advice for any "LMs out there" also helps. Use the non-melee, de-buffing skills first, in tough situations. They take a few seconds of time but they reduce the fight.

I've done this quest with my warden and my champion. It wasn't difficult for them. I love the LM and he's level 38 atm. I don't think that at that level it would be difficult but I will try it. i thought that you would be invisible to those elites at this point but maybe I'm wrong. In any case, I traited 3 for elemental damage but I kept my Bane Flare at least. With four elemental traits, IIRC you loose bane flare. I'm not expert on LMs but we have so many skills we can use to be awesome. I keep my bear on this level because they have shouts that can take the heat off us when we need to and they have stuns. Also, on all my alts, I always provide them with battle scrolls, foods, etc. so that in difficult battles I am always prepared.

100 Warden, 48 Hunter, 44 Champ, 42 Loremaster, 39 Runekeeper, 40 Burg, 36 Mini, 33 Guard

Thanks guys awesome advice! @Carolas- I did get it done I found the spot for inspiration but I'm sure your advice will help in other situations as well, thank you!