We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What can we expect with the new housing later this year?

The last time we got any word was the diary back in May.

Since then, I've not seen anything here. (Yes, I admit I might have missed something. I'm human.)

Since it's almost July, can someone from the community team please prod someone from the housing dev team to at least give us a notion beyond what we've been told as to what we can look forward to (and/or plan around) with housing?

If there was some sort of off-site announcement (another site/twitter/etc.), I'll be happy to know about that as well.

*fills a table with many things team members and devs might find appeasing*
    Club Éclair-Second Servings members are at 19 trainings or below.
    I can't fit all my Tortoise Stone Bearers in my sig anymore.
    This August will be our 7th Annual Month a' the Chicken on Landy!

I am curious, too. Anything on this that you might be able to add to the next "20 Questions", Sapience?
    [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/yNh3me2.png[/img][/center]

Never, Turbine wont make any housing update. They aint gonna bother no metter what they say.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/232210000000f8048/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I read somewhere that rooftop helipads are going to be added to all Deluxe houses/kin houses.

Not sure.

I am not personally sure of any update to the active housing. In all honesty there are alot of things that should be upgraded as far as that is concerned.

Things that would be nice to see:

1) Individual players able to own houses not account wide, but individual toons each able to buy and customizes their own living space.

2) Size upgrade for the kin houses and Deluxe houses. In all honesty the deluxe houses are just not big enough.

3) Possibly a big on here. A total revamp on the housing system. (ie: Instead of purchasing already made player houses, the player buys a plot of land at a set size. The player then purchases a house kit and can then build and create a living space to their own design.)

Now theses are just some things that my small group of friends who play all think would definitely spruce up the housing system and make the houses in game more appealing. More and more we hear from others that the housing system is stupid and isn't even worth wasting money on. I understand that this is a company and you all need to make you money somewhere, but in all honesty I pay good hard earned money for my sub and as a paying memeber of this community and this game would at least like to hear this post responded to by a mod or gm.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000013e8c8/signature.png]Camrielin[/charsig]

I got the impression it was going to be delivered with the Helms Deep expansion. We are going to have wait until Turbine to talk about the expansion all the other goodies that come with it.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I got the impression it was going to be delivered with the Helms Deep expansion. We are going to have wait until Turbine to talk about the expansion all the other goodies that come with it.
    I would have to go digging through the Dev Tracker, but I am virtually certain that Sapience has said otherwise - that housing changes are expressly not tied to Helm's Deep but will be rolled out separately when ready. They may well come after. Still, it would be nice to know what sort of changes they are working on.
    [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/yNh3me2.png[/img][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Aestivan View Post
    I would have to go digging through the Dev Tracker, but I am virtually certain that Sapience has said otherwise - that housing changes are expressly not tied to Helm's Deep but will be rolled out separately when ready. They may well come after. Still, it would be nice to know what sort of changes they are working on.
    It is clear Turbine is working on the housing feature. At best we will get the new housing feature with Helms Deep. Otherwise it will be later. A lot is going to depend on everything that is going to be crammed into that goodie bag.

Some features will get pushed out into updates after Helms Deep. Two good candidates for being pushed out is the Helms Deep instance cluster which would be similar to what happened with Rise of Isengard and Riders of Rohan. And or the housing feature.

Hopefully Turbine will provide some more information on the Helms Deep expansion and or what else is coming this year in the near future since Turbine had nothing to say at E3.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I had hoped that maybe something official had been released somewhere I just hadn't seen it (wouldn't be the first time), but I also started this post in the hopes that at least Turbine would know/be reminded that we'd really appreciate some sort of breadcrumb trail to want to see what's coming next.

From discussions I've had with others, one thing on a lot of folks' minds is if it's worth jumping on foreclosed properties in their respective kin neighborhoods if only to find a few months later that Turbine will be releasing a new system where folks can make kin only neighborhoods.

Anyhoo...thanks for the responses. I'm still hoping someone will give us a bit more official news soonish rather than just before releasish. (A gal can hope.)
    Club Éclair-Second Servings members are at 19 trainings or below.
    I can't fit all my Tortoise Stone Bearers in my sig anymore.
    This August will be our 7th Annual Month a' the Chicken on Landy!

i am really loving that idea of buying a plot of land and building a house like that, since me and the kin i am in are planning on doing a housing tour and contest come october, i believe we may hear or see something with housing when update 12 comes out, i read that a while back and not positive where i read it but could of sworn that is what was said
    If you are going to be bad, be bad with purpose, otherwise your just not worth Forgiving

Damon Salvatore

What a cute idea for a contest, Sponge, I may have to borrow it at some point.

As to the direct topic, I would also like to know the planned changes, especially since I'm browsing neighborhoods, but not yet repurchased any homes for my characters or my kinship. Would definitely suck to corner out a section in a neighborhood for kin and member housing only for any changes make us wish we'd purchased different properties.

The change I'd love most is no more rent. I don't know, bugs me we can't buy our houses. They could charge a little more, initially, and then just follow the same rules for rental housing, except visiting your home stands in for rent and the neighborhood housing broker declares it abandoned after a year-long absence. In fact, if they really are worried about soldiers as a previous comment pointed out, they could make it that friends visiting your home (instead of choosing people for "upkeep costs" permissions, those same people now count toward proving your home isn't abandoned). Hate anything resembling a recurring bill in a game I play to escape from such mundane concerns for awhile. So much so that I would find 150gold kin-house buyout a good deal even though I'd then need to quadruple my cash supply just to buy one and end up broke. I would pay 100 gold for a permanent deluxe home. Then, if no one's used those houses within a year, the neighborhood just declares them abandoned, things get sent to escrow, house is freed for others to purchase.

I hear though that rent is at least a little less disruptive these days though (that you can pay for half a year ahead of time). That's a little better, but I can't afford to own in real life...can't you at least make it possible in my fantasy escape? *pouts* Please?

Barring that...yeah, what are the changes? Even if it's just a possibility stage, what are the possibilities you're looking into for housing changes?

Can we expect a change in hooks (amount & or placing)?
    Chests?
    Upkeep?
    Significant changes in all the functionality but not really in looks or hooks?
    Will neighborhoods and houses get redesigned?
    Will we be able to purchase new housing slots the way we can character slots (so that we can have up to three personal homes...or maybe four--one for each neighborhood type, if we so desire)? I'd dish out up to 995 turbine points for an additional housing slot (which is almost double the cost of an extra character slot)!

Feel Free to use that housing contest idea! i think it would be nice to own two homes even if it means buying a extra housing slot on the store, i'd be willing to pay 995 points for that, as right now with my RK i started i may finally go and buy a house in the dwarven area but would still love to go and find a house out in the shire area as well, not sure if this would happen but its a nice idea.
    If you are going to be bad, be bad with purpose, otherwise your just not worth Forgiving

Damon Salvatore

I would also love that! It would definitely solve how torn I am about, not only which character's name I want on the deed (and to own it story-wise), but would also solve my waffling between a lovely hobbit property vs. my favourite elvish property. Having both would be awesome
    [center][url=http://kindredspiritsoflandroval.wordpress.com/the-characters/elaureth/][img]http://kindredspiritsoflandroval.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/mini-el.jpg[/img][/url]
    [color=#98FB98]LOTRO Blog: [url=http://kindredspiritsoflandroval.wordpress.com]Kindred Spirits[/url][/color]
    [color=#7FFFD4]At My Middle Earth: [url=http://mymiddleearth.com/members/saronai/profile]Saronai[/url][/color]
    [color=#9370D8]Personal Blog: [url=http://musesings.wordpress.com]Muse Sings[/url][/color][/center]

i fully agree with that i have tried decorating elven homes (can be done nicely but a lot of time has to be invested in it) Bree homes are ok but i just can not find a good way to decorate those ones, i have not tried dwarven houses yet since i am at a measly 400 silver on my RK on silver lode, and with the shire housing i have a nicely decorated front yard so far on another server but can not find a good way to decorate the inside of it

Damon Salvatore

I wanna be able to buy crafting stations for my house so I can craft there. Workbench, large wall. Oven large yard. Forge large yard. Add a supplier with discounts to the housing areas.
    100 Warden / RK / LM / Captain / Guardian / Hunter / Burg / Champ / Minstrel
    Brandywine

I expect nothing from this game anymore. This way is easier to deal with upcomming dissapointments.
    I can foresee my houses will be filled up with Store-linked buttons.
    I hunt. I kill.

Warden by destiny, Hunter in the heart.

I would also love to see massive changes in housing, but the cynic in me says that Turbine will use this as an opportunity to monetize the housing feature. I predict:

1 - Number of interior and exterior hooks will remain the same or be reduced, and you will only be able to buy more via the in-game store
    2 - Changing the nature of hooks (say from small furniture to large), will only be purchasable via in-game store
    3 - Additional housing chests made available but only purchasable via TP or Mithril Coins

I'd love to see freeform decorating with no hooks and predetermined place settings. But that won't happen because that would allow people to clutter their homes full of housing items, turning it into extra "free" storage. So there will be limits to the number of hooks. I'm okay with that, but I'd like to see them become much more flexible in terms of placement and requirement (large vs small vs thin, etc). I hate to be so skeptical, but I'm growing kind of disappointed at the way the monetization has crept into everything now, it has cheapened the game.

I don't really enjoy being nickel and dimed either, but I know it takes a certain amount of profit to keep this game running and improving as well. I would rather they find a way to monetize new features in older beloved content such as housing than ignore it completely because it requires too many resources with little to no payoff.

I'll only object if they start rising the basic costs for things at the store in a way that puts less value on each Turbine point to a point that what you can earn in game becomes nearly obsolete. It's good where it is. Beyond that, if it'll get them to work on areas of the game I want improved, I won't begrudge them some sort of one time turbine point fee to unlock (provided you haven't purchased them as part of an expansion package).
    [center][url=http://kindredspiritsoflandroval.wordpress.com/the-characters/elaureth/][img]http://kindredspiritsoflandroval.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/mini-el.jpg[/img][/url]
    [color=#98FB98]LOTRO Blog: [url=http://kindredspiritsoflandroval.wordpress.com]Kindred Spirits[/url][/color]
    [color=#7FFFD4]At My Middle Earth: [url=http://mymiddleearth.com/members/saronai/profile]Saronai[/url][/color]
    [color=#9370D8]Personal Blog: [url=http://musesings.wordpress.com]Muse Sings[/url][/color][/center]

i fully agree with all of that, i'm willing to spend tp to get better housing items or housing improvements would certianly be worth shelling out 10 or 15 bucks in TP to see housing upgrade like having a workbench to work on tailoring or a area for working on my mining.

Damon Salvatore

Quote Originally Posted by Caernach View Post
    I would also love to see massive changes in housing, but the cynic in me says that Turbine will use this as an opportunity to monetize the housing feature. I predict:

1 - Number of interior and exterior hooks will remain the same or be reduced, and you will only be able to buy more via the in-game store
    2 - Changing the nature of hooks (say from small furniture to large), will only be purchasable via in-game store
    3 - Additional housing chests made available but only purchasable via TP or Mithril Coins

I'd love to see freeform decorating with no hooks and predetermined place settings. But that won't happen because that would allow people to clutter their homes full of housing items, turning it into extra "free" storage. So there will be limits to the number of hooks. I'm okay with that, but I'd like to see them become much more flexible in terms of placement and requirement (large vs small vs thin, etc). I hate to be so skeptical, but I'm growing kind of disappointed at the way the monetization has crept into everything now, it has cheapened the game.
    Well it takes money to keep the servers alive, content coming & employees working. There already struggling with this as is but people still complain. Extra addons for housing is fluff. It is not needed to play & progress through the game. This is the kind of stuff that should be in the store. Just selling cosmetics & mounts is not gonna keep the bills paid.
    It's not Teal... it's [SIZE=3][COLOR=#00ffff][B]CYAN[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]!

I have to agree with Eartholleth, this is the perfect place for the store to come in.

That said, I wrote a write up in the player suggestions forum about how housing decorating can be more fun for us and earn some profit for Turbine. I figured some of you in this thread may be interested in it: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...and-Profitable

Edit: I *think* it follows the idea of 'revise and revitalize' rather than 'complete overhaul' as said below by Sapience, BUT I am only a player and I naturally have little idea how using the hooks in the manner I outlined in the link above would be revitalizing, or if such work would mean more along the lines of outright overhauling. The future will reveal it soon enough
    Last edited by Laire; Aug 07 2013 at 02:47 AM.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    I just want to set some expectations before too many people start getting the wrong ideas.

Primarily, please do not confuse 'this year' with 'Helm's Deep'. While there may be some first steps in launched alongside Helm's Deep we aren't trying to tie the two things together. Any housing changes wouldn't be tied to a HD purchase for example. So don't expect HD to launch with an entirely new housing system, and I'd caution against thinking we're going to be able to rip out the old system and build a new one from the ground up. That's just not in the scope of this. If you think more in terms of revise and revitalize, you're a lot closer than if you're thinking overhaul and rebuild.

Curious!

I'm not a 100% sure but I remember reading somewhere (20 Q&A or forum, can't remember) that crafting facilities will be added to houses, just want to know if that is right, before I get too excited. (sorry if it has been asked and answered before).

no i believe they said that putting crafting spots in housing would make areas like bree and such be like ghost towns cause most people would craft at their homes

Damon Salvatore

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc. View Post
    I'm not a 100% sure but I remember reading somewhere (20 Q&A or forum, can't remember) that crafting facilities will be added to houses...
    See Q42 here. They've said for years that they were concerned about making housing an every-day sort of attraction due to the effect that could have on social hubs. However, they now apparently think crafting might be OK. I wouldn't count on getting any sort of full-service hubs (lots of travel destinations, all sorts of vendors, etc) there though... that really could impact the social centers of the game, and housing can never serve that purpose - it's far, far too spread out over many hundreds of neighborhoods.

Khafar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast