We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unhappy Community name change - I'll give it up :(

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help me. I tried to contact the customer support via web interface and I did not even receive an automatic mail to respond to. Hope someone reads this and can help me to solve the problem: I want to change my community name ("namidh" at the moment).
    I did not find any possibility on the account administration page, so perhaps I'm blind or I simply have to contact someone - but how I am supposed to if I even don't get any confirmation mail? I think I've contacted support several times: two to three times the German and two or three times the EN support.

Anyone knows how to help me?

namidh

You can't change your forum name, it's fixed when you create it.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

Thought so, too, but then I've contacted the ingame support who explained me that it's possible - via the account management. First I thought he / she meant the account name, but no, the community name was meant.

Then I've contacted a cm here on forums who basically told me to write to the customer support, so they can change my name. But I did not receive any mail and I cannot open one support ticket after the other. After all this causes trouble and I do not want to cause trouble

And, finally, I've read about some users who got their name changed after writing a polite forum message, which I also did (and why I got referred to the customer support)

I also want to clarify - know that it doesn't really matter, but it's more for myself - to point out that I do not want to change the name because I got bored of it, but because it was an error. I got migrated from the EU servers and was on the Codematers' forums before. Someday I got a mail that I will get migrated and while I got through the process of migration I was asked to select a user. I don't know if I was drunk while I was filling out that form but I typed in a name I do not really want.

Later, many years later, I restarted playing Lotro, also discovering not only an "old new world", but also a new forum and at first I had troubles to realize who the heck was this "namidh", till I found out: omg, that was me! And this is why I've started to do some research as Indiana Namidh in the "The Last Name Crusade" (put in some drama, give the kids something to be happy about, give them a taste for heroic feelings).

Namidh.
    Last edited by namidh; Jun 25 2013 at 03:32 AM.

That's odd because in the past we have been told very clearly that it cannot be done without physically editing the database and recommending to create F2P accounts with the names we want and use them to post with.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

Thumbs up

Did not know that - the hint with the F2P account sounds pretty good. Thank you

They stopped forum name changes because it broke things for the user on the combined community sites and created too many headaches. They would only change the name in extreme cases (e.g. name was vulgar or created a security issue). Since a lot of the features that broke are being removed with the forum revamp, perhaps they will consider re-opening the forum name changes again.
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    It is not possible to change your forum name at this time. Be very careful in using the 'free account trick' as that can sometimes run you afoul of the "one forum account" rule.

When the new forums become available we may be about to do name changes, which will be impossible if you have had a free acount banned due to the duplicate account rule (used names are never released and won't be deleted).

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    It is not possible to change your forum name at this time. Be very careful in using the 'free account trick' as that can sometimes run you afoul of the "one forum account" rule.

When the new forums become available we may be about to do name changes, which will be impossible if you have had a free acount banned due to the duplicate account rule (used names are never released and won't be deleted).
    I have a long-expired (4 years old?) trial account and a lifetime account. When I first log into the forums each time it defaults me to the long-expired one (which I sometimes don't notice), and I need to use the "logged in as" dropdown to manually change to the real one. Hope they can fix that....

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    I have a long-expired (4 years old?) trial account and a lifetime account. When I first log into the forums each time it defaults me to the long-expired one (which I sometimes don't notice), and I need to use the "logged in as" dropdown to manually change to the real one. Hope they can fix that....
    Me too, although my "long-expired" subscription isn't even a real one - just the testing account that I started out with in alpha 7 years ago. For some bizarre reason, it thinks that's a "subscription", and worse... it's my default subscription.

In order to remind myself I'm on the bogus subscription, I changed the forum color scheme on the old one to this hideous bright orange. Haven't forgotten to switch to the real one even once since I did that .

Khafar

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Mmh, I have troubles to understand this. Does this mean that it is not allowed to create an account to use for posting on forums, while the other is not used anymore (to post on forums)?
    Last edited by namidh; Jun 26 2013 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by namidh View Post
    Mmh, I have troubles to understand this. Does this mean that it is not allowed to create an account to use for posting on forums, while the other is not used anymore (to post on forums)?
    I read it more as in it's not allowed to actively use two accounts. Like posting on one account and then logging to the other and write "Great post", give reputation to yourself, spam anonymously, etc.
    Retired. My LOTRO projects will no longer be maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteberry_Laurelin View Post
    I read it more as in it's not allowed to actively use two accounts. Like posting on one account and then logging to the other and write "Great post", give reputation to yourself, spam anonymously, etc.
    That's exactly how i saw it too.