We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

White screen after logging in

Hi all, so I just downloaded LOTRO off Steam fine, and I have made an account and everything.
    Well my problem is that when I get to the world/server page I select a world and it takes me to a white screen, I still have my LOTRO cursor and can move it fine, but nothing happens from here.. its just stuck on a white screen, what do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Kryseer View Post
    Hi all, so I just downloaded LOTRO off Steam fine, and I have made an account and everything.
    Well my problem is that when I get to the world/server page I select a world and it takes me to a white screen, I still have my LOTRO cursor and can move it fine, but nothing happens from here.. its just stuck on a white screen, what do I do?
    First I've head of this one...

I assume you have a supported OS -- Lion or Mountain Lion -- Snow Leopard is not supported.

See: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client
    for details.

In theory, what is happening at that point in time... The Launcher is handing off to the Game Client.
    Account patching, userid/password validation and world selection are handled by the Launcher. The launcher hands the client a "ticket" and the client then loads the Character Selection screen....

From "getting in line to connect," you first get a white screen, which should immediately (1-2 seconds) be replaced by a black screen which is overlaid with a green and brown graphic of Riders of Rohan charging an assortment of Warg-riders with a bunch of legal trademark info at the bottom.

A couple of seconds later a similar screen is displayed with "downloading" information; followed by the WB/Turbine logos; followed by the first in-game promo display screen. That is followed by the "loading" screen, and finally the Character selection screen.

The speed for all of this is pretty much dependent upon your own system... the display screens "mask" the fact that the setup with the Game servers takes some time. However, all of the graphics are already downloaded to your system and only need to be loaded into graphics memory from disk. The whole thing, for a new account should probably only take about 30 seconds.... unless you are having internet speed issues.
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 80

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    First I've head of this one...

I assume you have a supported OS -- Lion or Mountain Lion -- Snow Leopard is not supported.

See: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client
    for details.

In theory, what is happening at that point in time... The Launcher is handing off to the Game Client.
    Account patching, userid/password validation and world selection are handled by the Launcher. The launcher hands the client a "ticket" and the client then loads the Character Selection screen....

From "getting in line to connect," you first get a white screen, which should immediately (1-2 seconds) be replaced by a black screen which is overlaid with a green and brown graphic of Riders of Rohan charging an assortment of Warg-riders with a bunch of legal trademark info at the bottom.

A couple of seconds later a similar screen is displayed with "downloading" information; followed by the WB/Turbine logos; followed by the first in-game promo display screen. That is followed by the "loading" screen, and finally the Character selection screen.

The speed for all of this is pretty much dependent upon your own system... the display screens "mask" the fact that the setup with the Game servers takes some time. However, all of the graphics are already downloaded to your system and only need to be loaded into graphics memory from disk. The whole thing, for a new account should probably only take about 30 seconds.... unless you are having internet speed issues.
    I believe I am supporting Mountain Lion, I have Mac OS X Version 10.8.2. I am confused with your answer, but all I get is the white screen, no loading or black screen or Riders of Rohan.. nothin. I just don't know what went wrong, I got it straight from Steam, took 1.5 days to download and an hour or so to install. So i'm not sure why I have problems..

Quote Originally Posted by Kryseer View Post
    I believe I am supporting Mountain Lion, I have Mac OS X Version 10.8.2. I am confused with your answer, but all I get is the white screen, no loading or black screen or Riders of Rohan.. nothin. I just don't know what went wrong, I got it straight from Steam, took 1.5 days to download and an hour or so to install. So i'm not sure why I have problems..
    I was attempting to describe the sequence of events involved in launching the client... i.e. what you should see.

Your response here points at the likely problem... your internet connection speed.

The download from Steam is quite quick. 2.5 - 3 hours for most broadband users in the Continental US. (It takes me just under 2 hours on a 15MB FIOS connection.)

The Download from Turbine -- lotro.com -- is dramatically slower. It uses PMB and takes me over 30 hours!

The install sounds about right time-wise... once the installer is downloaded, it takes about another hour to "unpack" the contents.

What kind of connection to the Internet do you have? What speed?

The white screen is correct... at that point a dialog begins between your client and the Turbine servers to setup your game-play environment. To mask that dialog, a series of graphics are displayed locally on your machine. This dialog uses the UDP protocol, which means that if you have a "noisy" line... not just a slow one... you will have trouble.

The next question then becomes -- what kind of a system are you using and how much memory does it have. You need at least 4GB of system memory to run. It can run in 2GB, but you will see lots of strange issues, much like this one. 8GB is better -- especially if you attempt to run any other applications at the same time -- things like Stickies, iTunes, etc. Launch "Activity Monitor" from "Applications/Utilities" -- click on "System Memory" at the bottom and see how much "green" i.e. Free memory you have BEFORE you try to launch LOTRO.

The other local issue you might have is your hard disk. Any hard disk which is more than 50% full will fragment badly.
    LOTRO has several HUGE files. The .app file itself shows as about 22GB, but it is composed of a number of smaller, but large files. The main graphics file is 4.5GB!

So, at startup, your local hard disk can slow down things.

But, I suspect your problem has to do primarily with your connection speed.

Partial cast

:'(

i have the same problem ... i got Mountain Lion OS X V 10.8.4
    as soon as i log in it gets me a White Screen like the one the patch .. but it's black it doesn't saying anything
    and if i try to move it ... or even if i try to Cancel it i cant .. it's Frozen ... i tried to let it for like 30minutes .. but nothing .. still the same nothing happens

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDjnini View Post
    i have the same problem ... i got Mountain Lion OS X V 10.8.4
    as soon as i log in it gets me a White Screen like the one the patch .. but it's black it doesn't saying anything
    and if i try to move it ... or even if i try to Cancel it i cant .. it's Frozen ... i tried to let it for like 30minutes .. but nothing .. still the same nothing happens
    How much memory does your system have? You really need 4GB of RAM to get things to work, and if you are running other applications, 8GB.

Partial cast

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    How much memory does your system have? You really need 4GB of RAM to get things to work, and if you are running other applications, 8GB.
    Processor 2.53GHz Intel Core I5
    Memory 8GB 1067 MHZ DDR3
    OS X Version 10.8.4
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB

mine does this too and i cant seem to figure out how to fix it. help please.

Fix?

So did Kryseer and DarkBear7195 quit playing or did they find a fix?

I just patched my Mac client and have the same issue. I've deleted the local copy and I'm downloading and installing again. I hate to find out that after a 16 GB download I'll still be in the same boat. My Wife's almost identical iMac plays LotRO with no issues at this time... (knock on wood!) We both have 2009 iMacs with a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 and ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB and are running 10.8.4. I have 12 GB of RAM and she has 4 GB of RAM.

So I saw someone say a reboot fixed their white screen freeze....

For me the reboot worked. BAH after downloading and patching and it still not working... a reboot :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Cerender View Post
    So did Kryseer and DarkBear7195 quit playing or did they find a fix?

I just patched my Mac client and have the same issue. I've deleted the local copy and I'm downloading and installing again. I hate to find out that after a 16 GB download I'll still be in the same boat. My Wife's almost identical iMac plays LotRO with no issues at this time... (knock on wood!) We both have 2009 iMacs with a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 and ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB and are running 10.8.4. I have 12 GB of RAM and she has 4 GB of RAM.
    It's hard (virtually impossible) to diagnose what is happening without a lot more information.

What you have is a "graphics display system" related issue.

While you both may have the same hardware, I doubt that you both have the same software, and I don't mean Apple software, installed.
    The "cleaner" the system, i.e. the less non-Apple software you have installed, the better the chance of LOTRO running without issues.

One thing which has been true in the past -- If you have upgraded your system from Tiger to Snow Leopard to Lion to Snow Lion, the number of "artifacts" from third-party software "hanging around" is huge. This is especially true if you have installed any kind of third-party "multi-media" software. Historically that kind of software did some very nasty things to the Kernel to "work." And those changes were NEVER removed by any kind of "uninstall" short of re-instaling OSX. Clearly simply dragging the application program into the trash would NOT remove any kind of Ktext "patches" made during the install process.

Cleaning out the "cruft" is about the only thing which helps or fixes the problem. Minimally a full power-cycle shutdown and re-boot eliminates a lot of the issues. Cleaning Caches (using something like OnyX) can make a difference.

Other than that, the only thing which is known to work is to re-install OSX... and NOT reinstalling any of your third-party programs until after you have installed LOTRO and verified that it works. Then you can install (and try) your various third-party apps, one at a time to see if there is any conflict. However, there may be none as the problem was an artifact from some piece of software you "tried out" briefly some time ago!

Partial cast