Inspired by this thread http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...or-class-ideas on general improvements to creep classes (thank you lolaaronvon) I just felt I needed to get a few things off my chest. This here is a bit of an info dump, a catharsis outlining problems, and potential solutions after a long period of frustration. Not that I expect anything to be forthcoming from turbine. This is just another 'thinking aloud' thread for us idealists.
Note- I do not want to come across a partisan, over-zealous creep complaining about this, that and the other. Ideally, I just want to see fair, balanced play, gameplay which is as equally fun and rewarding for both sides – which we all do, I’m sure. I try to look at these issues dispassionately. Yes, I play Creep, but I hasten to add that my outlook and disposition has been very much steeped in freep-play, being a 6-year player, having completed virtually all content to end-game on freep, every quest, every raid, every deed etc. I have played Freepside in Ettens in the past as well, mostly during Moria and SoM days. But today I choose to PvP on Creepside, because, personally speaking, I find it's more fun. But I am trying to present this with a point of view that is unbiased.
- More trait slots. We need more trait slots! We get 7 slots by default from the start. I would like to see a Maximum of 10 obtainable slots. Let us imagine that the 8th slot unlocks at rank 8, the 9th at rank 12, and the final 10th slot at rank 15.
- Does anyone seriously use the Physical and Tactical Mitigation corruptions? We are so limited in the number of Corruption slots as well, that to actually have any effect out there we are forced really to choose a Mastery+Crit+Health build that precludes any further mitigation. For the record, my corruption build (BA, rank 12) is Health for Power 2, Damage for Power 2, Mastery 1 + 2, Crit 1 +2)
One suggestion I have, short of demanding an increase to the number of Corruption slots as well, would be to at least merge the Physical and Tactical Mitigation bonuses into one corruption, which would offer both together. Similarly Crit Protection and Crit Rating combined into one corruption would be far more desirable, and not in my opinion overpowered.
- It's been talked about for a long time. But I think it's time for Turbine to add ranks that go beyond rank 15. This would grant an incentive (beyond just deeds – which, thanks to U11 no longer mean anything at all) to the now growing number of rank 15's to continue playing, and legitimize the existence of hard-earned rank 15 gated skills and abilities.
- An option when Tab selecting targets to 'skip' pets and npcs. It can be very annoying in a crowded battlefield to select a desired target when you have to toggle through all the numerous pets and npcs, which you have no interest in targeting. I would find it very desirable, in these circumstance, for Tab to actually ignore everything except actual players.
- A bear cull. Bear npcs are everywhere. I feel there are far more freep-friendly bear npcs than creep-friendly troll/warg npcs. The bears around Tir and oc in particular constantly interfere with the action. In fact a general npc reduction across the board is in order. Npcs are actually useless anyway, they serve only to get in the way of pvp - of player versus player. So why have so many? I say limit them to keeps and camps.
- Freeps are currently...op. We all know it, but at the risk of being a nerf-shouter, I wonder if turbine have forgotten about an old feature that used to exist in Ettenmoors, called 'Not Usable with Monster Play'. I do feel there are a great many abilities on freepside that should be 'Not Usable With Monster Play’, which alone, if applied, could rebalance the situation.
The reason I underline 'abilities' here is because I do not necessarily mean ‘skills’ per se. I'm not petitioning to have any freep skills removed, just the abilities they generate to be... somewhat curbed.
What I mean is this. What would it look like, and feel like, if the bonuses – the legacies – of Legendary Weapons/Items were greyed out for Ettenmoors play? Before the freeps cry 'Whaaaat!!!!', it's merely a premise to think on, on how this would impact Moors play if the Legacy bonuses were unavailable in the Moors. I am not suggesting at all that Base stats, Dps Ratings etc. associated with the weapon/item, or the Relics slotted on it, be changed or removed… only the legacies that elevate damage further, or add this many ticks, improve this bubble, increase that sprint/charge/cc/ or other skill effect and duration. Only these types of bonuses applied by legacies. In effect this would revert each skill back to its initial ‘pre-legacy enhanced’ state. Is this an outrage to freeps, or is it a palatable/plausible idea? There's probably a number of things I haven't thought of, associated with legendary weapons, in which this suggestion may negatively impact our desired outcome for better balance. I don’t know. I’m merely putting this on the table.
- I’m sure I’m not the only one who is nightly dismayed by venturing into DoF (Delvings of Thror for the uninitiated) to get the buffs? Sometimes it can be fun, running in there en masse to catch the freeps, mid boss fight, with their pants down. But this ‘PvE’ is getting tiring. And yes the DoF buffs are nice, but tbh I’d be quite happy if Turbine announced tomorrow that DoF buffs were being abolished.
I think Turbine’s initial idea was that all this PvE shenanigans would benefit and enhance the PvP experience. It doesn’t and it isn’t. It’s bad enough we all have to run around after each other, all night long, flipping, and re-flipping the bloody outposts. But what else can be done with DoF if it was to no longer provide infamy/renown buffs? Don’t know for sure, but, what about… make it an Ettenmoors raid, an actual private encounter, available to both sides, with weekly locks, like any other Lotro raid? PvP there would not be possible by virtue of the fact that it is a private instance. The incentive? Maybe just loot – for both sides. For the creeps maybe Sigils, lootboxes, buff and boost potions and scrolls – maybe something even better than that, dare I even suggest Legendary Creep weapons?? Whatever the case, it would encourage tribes to get together – to work together as a team and do something different, and only being able to go there once a week it wouldn’t detract much from the PvP situation in the rest of the Moors, and the PvE haters won’t have much of an argument anymore.
- Zergfests and raid babies. It is becoming more of a problem I’ve noticed, at least on my server (Eldar). Without naming any names, I, like many other creeps, are getting tired of raid vs raid when freeps insist on bringing overwhelming numbers all the time. Let me highlight the general creep mentality: Creeps make a raid only when A) the freeps have a raid, or B) the freeps have overwhelming numbers and we are being farmed. The freep mentality however seems to be more: A) make a raid no matter what – even against soloers, and farm, zerg, and farm some more! And B)… er, see A).
This isn’t a hard and fast rule, of course. On occasion this trend is round the other way, and it is the Creeps who are raided up and farming, but only rarely, and often only in response (with some backlash) against the farmers, and to square the account.
But most importantly, when and if the freep raid disbands, the creep raid will disband as well. It does not continue to farm relentlessly. Not so the freeps. Again, not naming names, but if the creep raid was to disband simply because the raid leader has to go to bed, or has to go do something else (yes, creeps have real lives too), the freep raid continues… continues to zerg and farm, to take advantage of the fact that the creeps are no longer grouped, are scattered and mostly solo. They continue to farm.
I enjoy raids, I am not anti-raid at all, and I don't want to be one to suggest the raid dynamic be killed. But I would like to see a general reduction of accrued/incoming infamy and renown when raided up against significantly inferior numbers. If you are outnumbered, and the opposition is raiding against you, then I see this as unfair, and I think it quite correct that there be a penalty for this type of behaviour. One already receives less points for a kill when raided up in comparison to when they are solo. If ’significantly’ outnumbering the other side (and I’d leave the definition of ‘significantly’ to turbine) then a further reduction is, I believe, appropriate.
An amendment to the mercurial and pretty unreliable Outnumbered Buff – how it is defined, and how it is administered – is in order as well, because at present it doesn’t really do that much, or last long enough to make it worth having. These solutions together may, ideally, dissuade certain freep parties always from compiling massive raids, sometimes 2 raids, to Pve the map all blue, and farm all night. It may even provide a new incentive for freeps to split off into groups, or, god forbid, go solo?!
- Finally, a minor point. Isn't it a bit annoying, when, as a creep, you arrive at Grams, or as a freep at GV, you visit each npc to pick up your quests only to find that Keep quests are not available because your side already controls them? At some point, later in the night, with Keeps flipping back and forth, you will no doubt wish you had that quest, and will rely (sometimes unsuccessfully) on someone else sharing it with you. I say have all quests, namely Keep quests for CGs/Tyrants, available to pick up at all times regardless of whether said Keeps are blue or red.
That's it. Thank you for listening.