We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LOTR related writing..

Not sure how this will be taken by people. It may be that you all consider it the utmost blasphemy etc. etc. but I shall try it out anyway. What I would like to do is create a selection of writings related to LOTR, made by players of this game, for other players of the game. They can be about anything you like, whether in sequence with something Tolkein wrote or as an alternative to what was written (My first writing will be an example of the latter.) Anyone unsure how this will work just ask your question
    Okay, now on with my first. It takes place at the Battle of the Morannon, and well....I'll let you decide your opinion:

"Down from the Ashen Mountains in the East there poured a vast horde of Men from the far lands in the East. From hundreds of caves bored into the mountains, an endless host of Uruks spilled down into the desolation before their Master's realm. Horns blew, drums boomed. The Black Gate opened ponderously, as the Lord of Mordor sent forth his vast forces, emptying his land for this final destruction of his hated foes.
    The host of the West looked out upon the hordes that now surrounded them, and were struck silent in their horror. Not for the certainty of death that they saw were they silenced; their venture had been doomed to fail from the start. But there, at the forefront of a host of Men all armoured in crimson and black with proud but evil faces, strode the Enemy. The War was drawing to its' end, and the Lord of the Rings had come to claim what was his.
    Upon a mighty steed he rode, even as his servants the Ringwraiths in the North. But dreadful and corrupted was the wretched beast; dark as the Void into which the Great Enemy was cast, with eyes that burned with hatred and malice, as if the flames of Thangorodrim were ablaze once more. Terrible as the creature was, it was but a passing thought to the Men of the West who gazed in horror; for the Dread Enemy had come at last, and all hope had fled. A blackness was behind him, that no light could touch; but He walked in full sight, the more to put terror in the hearts of his foes. Taller than any child of Men even in the Elder Days he walked, shadow taken form in a dreadful armour of some long forgotten metal. Clothed at last in his dwarf-forged armour he walked, a cloak of sable flying in the dread wind he cast about himself. And upon the emptiness above the neck was a mighty crown, made by long labour and terrible cruelty as a mockery of the Kings of Gondor. Red as blood and hard as mithril, it was cast in the likeness of the crown of the long forgotten Kings of Numenor. Upon the dreadful crown was scribed, in the foul language of the Black Land:
    'In Shadows I was forged. In Shadows I shall rule. The West will fail, and Darkness will cover All.'
    As the dread figure approached, his vast army arrayed behind him, hope left the Host of the West, and many cast themselves down in a fearful despair. Even the light of the White Rider was dimmed in that desperate moment, and the mockery of the vile maggot-folk rang in the ears of all.
    Yet even as hope failed and strength fled, the bowed head of King Elessar lifted once more. A cool breeze stirred his hair, and in the midst of the darkness that had fallen he smiled and cried aloud:
    'A wind from the West! A wind from the West! We are not forsaken, do not despair!'
    And as he spoke, all became aware of the stirring breeze. The darkness about the Enemy was blown away in tatters, and a smell of wholesomeness and goodness was carried on the Wind. Raising the Blade that was Broken before him, Aragorn, King of Gondor and Arnor, Lord of Minas Tirith and descendant of Numenor, cried aloud a challenge to the Lord of Barad-dur. And his challenge was answered.
    In fury at the renewed hope of his foes, the dreadful Lord of Mordor order his forces to strike, and he himself entered the fray. Where he walked, no man could master their fear, and their bodies was struck down by his mighty black blade. Before him a path was carved, and soon he and King Elessar stood before each other.
    "So, thou art the fool from the North who claims the title of King and leads this rabble I see before me. It is thou who has stolen what is mine by Right, and seeks to overthrow me!" spat Sauron in his corrupt and terrible voice. "Yet I perceive that thou art only a puppet of the Grey Fool. Can you dance, little Puppet?"
    So saying, he swung his dreadful blade, and darkness seemed to follow its path. The blade of Aragorn caught it, and parried it with great effort.
    "I am no man's puppet, oh Lord of Maggot-Folk. Fall now into the Abyss that awaits you!"
    Again the blades met, and shadows seemed to flicker down their length. For a moment Aragorn was blind, and darkness clouded his vision. With great strength of will, he mastered himself, calling up all memories that remained of his joyful days in Imladris. The blindness lifted, and the blades met once more. Long and fierce was the duel between those two who were bitter enemies, and the forces of both sides around them paused in their awful battle to watch their leaders fight. Long did they fight back and forth, but at the last, overcome by fatigue of body and mind, Aragorn tripped forward, and fell at the feet of his hated Foe.
    Cruel laughter echoed from the emptiness beneath the crown, and red fires flashed where there should have been eyes. "And so thou falls. Let all bear witness to the ending of the Kings. Let all see that there is but one King in Middle-Earth, who is mightier than all. Now die, beggar of the North. Die and know that thy people will suffer great torment and slavery for your insolence. Die, and know that she who you called Arwen Evenstar shall sit in servitude and torment by my side until the end of days. Now die in despair!"
    With that, the blade of flickering shadows was raised above his head for the final killing blow. But even as he raised his great sword, a great terror fell upon the Lord of Mordor. At last he saw how he had been deceived. At last he understood the actions of the Host of the West. In a madness and terror, he turned from his quarry and dashed in blind fury to his terrible steed, calling his Nazgul as he fled. Even on the brink of total victory, at this last moment, when all had been won, some hateful creature had carried His Ring to the heart of His realm. In fear and rage, he mounted his awful beast and with haste greater than that of the North Wind he rode towards Mordor, and the peril that awaited him there."

Well, there it is. The idea was that it is an alternative to the battle of the Black Gate, showing that Sauron was superior to Aragorn, but was defeated at last by his own arrogance/ignorance....
    Anyway, not by any means perfect, and the writing leaves much to be desired, but I tried.
    Dare I say it but..... any thoughts? *takes cover behind overturned table*

Ah.. but what is there to say?

I like both the idea and the writing its self.. as someone who has for quite a while roleplayed along with my kinmembers to storylines that are almost but not-quite-there to lore/original storyline, I appreciate seeing this kind of writing surface among other players of the game.

Definitely enjoyed reading.

~ Evandriel,
    Last edited by Rathrilwing; Jun 24 2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: discovered a typo.

Why thank you! Compliments make for a happy hobbit! *steps out from behind overturned table*

Also want to add that I would like to hear any other similar tales made by LOTRO players. It does warm the heart
    Last edited by Geindir; Jun 24 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: additional message

Red face A little something of my own

While not quite of the same type - here's a short writing around one of my roleplay characters, the best I can do on short notice! As I said in my previous post - my kinmembers and I have created a bit of our own lore, this particular bit created by myself, to exist alongside the tolkien lore.

"She sits in silence, broken maid. Her silver eyes cast to the ground, hair of the same shade falling around her solid shoulders. A spear lays across her lap. Her red and gold armor glinting in the noon sun. Her head is held in her hands with iron grasp, and there is desperation in her eyes. She begins to murmer in soft rueful tones; 'Ah to return to times past.. what wouldn't i do to return to the day before my eyes fell onto Shadow.. curse them.. curse them! I wish only freedom!' she lay upon the stone street and closed her eyes, drifting to a dream inspired by memory. Step by step each sound resonates as she walks the stone hall, candles of odd blue flame lining each side of the passage-way. Iron chains rattle in the distance, and the air is stiff and cold. Aside from the jingling of chains and the crackle of the fire there is silence. A world void of laughter, merriment and song. Ahead the iron doors swung open and in black robes stood a most imposing looking elven man. His voice rings through the hall, as he speaks his image flickers; 'Resadaneth! Hear my voice!' the scene would change and she would find herself in a grand feasting room. three grand chairs set with emeralds line a long table, and in each sits a person. The first being the same man as before, the second a rohirric looking woman, and the third a rustic looking man. By the table a harpist plays and sings, her hair like coal and her eyes the same color. Her clothes are covered in soot and ash, and her dark skin as well. Resadaneth cannot understand the elven words she sings, and a look purely perplexed crosses her face. She walks to the table, reaching out to take a piece of food, but her hand only passes through the table, feeling nothing. She awakes with a start to find herself back on the pavement. She sighs to herself 'One day we shall be free of it.... one day..'

Hope you enjoyed!

~Evandriel.

Geindir, I enjoyed reading your post and think that you have a very good writing style. Overall, I think this is a nice little bit of alternative storytelling. Certainly it would have been interesting if Sauron himself had come forth at some point, though he seems to have done so only at the time of utmost need, and when backed into a corner.

I assume you are also interested in some constructive feedback, so a few items that I noticed:
    - It struck me as odd that Sauron would be wearing dwarf-made armour. I am not aware of any dwarfs ever serving Sauron or being bent to his will; even the 7 rings given to the Dwarves did not have the effect that Sauron desired. So I am not sure how Sauron would have acquired this?
    - I like how ‘King Elessar’ sounds in the narrative, but was Aragorn technically known by this name at this point in the story? Or was it only after his coronation?
    - Typo correction: In fury at the renewed hope of his foes, the dreadful Lord of Mordor ordered his forces to strike
    - Typo correction: Where he walked, no man could master their fear, and their bodies were struck down

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Geindir, I enjoyed reading your post and think that you have a very good writing style. Overall, I think this is a nice little bit of alternative storytelling. Certainly it would have been interesting if Sauron himself had come forth at some point, though he seems to have done so only at the time of utmost need, and when backed into a corner.

I assume you are also interested in some constructive feedback, so a few items that I noticed:
    - It struck me as odd that Sauron would be wearing dwarf-made armour. I am not aware of any dwarfs ever serving Sauron or being bent to his will; even the 7 rings given to the Dwarves did not have the effect that Sauron desired. So I am not sure how Sauron would have acquired this?
    - I like how ‘King Elessar’ sounds in the narrative, but was Aragorn technically known by this name at this point in the story? Or was it only after his coronation?
    - Typo correction: In fury at the renewed hope of his foes, the dreadful Lord of Mordor ordered his forces to strike
    - Typo correction: Where he walked, no man could master their fear, and their bodies were struck down
    Thank you for the corrections! And thanks also for the criticisms too. I shall answer as best and truthfully as I can:
    1) "- It struck me as odd that Sauron would be wearing dwarf-made armour. I am not aware of any dwarfs ever serving Sauron or being bent to his will; even the 7 rings given to the Dwarves did not have the effect that Sauron desired. So I am not sure how Sauron would have acquired this?"
    Answer: I did not truthfully give much thought to this. I was simply trying to create an impressive and formidable image of him, and Dwarf armour was what I thought would look most impressive at the time. Looking back, perhaps Elf-made armour would have made him more formidable? As for how he acquired it, he would have many slaves that he had captured, so it would be entirely possible for him to capture dwarves to work in his forges.

2) "I like how ‘King Elessar’ sounds in the narrative, but was Aragorn technically known by this name at this point in the story? Or was it only after his coronation?"
    Answer: Again, no idea. I just thought saying King Elessar sounded much better than simply Aragorn when talking about a confrontation with Sauron.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Geindir View Post

2) "I like how ‘King Elessar’ sounds in the narrative, but was Aragorn technically known by this name at this point in the story? Or was it only after his coronation?"
    Answer: Again, no idea. I just thought saying King Elessar sounded much better than simply Aragorn when talking about a confrontation with Sauron.
    Ever and anon Gandalf let blow the trumpets, and the heralds would cry: 'The Lords of Gondor are come! Let all leave this land or yield them up!' But Imrahil said, 'Say not The Lords of Gondor. Say The King Elessar. For that is true, though he has not yet sat upon the throne; and it will give the Enemy more thought, if the heralds use that name.' And thereafter thrice a day the heralds proclaimed the coming of King Elessar. But none answered the challenge.

The Lord of the Rings, Book V, Chapter 10: "The Black Gate Opens"
    Last edited by Aestivan; Jul 01 2013 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aestivan View Post
    Ever and anon Gandalf let blow the trumpets, and the heralds would cry: 'The Lords of Gondor are come! Let all leave this land or yield them up!' But Imrahil said, 'Say not The Lords of Gondor. Say The King Elessar. For that is true, though he has not yet sat upon the throne; and it will give the Enemy more thought, if the heralds use that name.' And thereafter thrice a day the heralds proclaimed the coming of King Elessar. But none answered the challenge.

The Lord of the Rings, Book V, Chapter 10: "The Black Gate Opens"
    Many thanks, can't believe I forgot that quote, literally just finished re-reading RotK...