We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

failed to read authentication response [err: unexpected end of file][line: 1][col: 1]

hi after the maintenance today this keep coming up when i log on what does this mean
    tks Tom

I had the same error.
    When you start the launcher, clear the user name and manually retype it in, then the password.
    This is all I had to do to get it working.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom1294 View Post
    hi after the maintenance today this keep coming up when i log on what does this mean
    tks Tom
    The long involved explanation has to do with caching... the login processing is accomplished via HTTP... so "everybodys" "caching edge-servers" get in your face.

All of those things are supposed to improve your performance -- what they do is allow you to see what you saw before.

Consequently if something is changed you won't see it until either the cache times out, or you force a clear... by, as mentioned, re-typing your userid.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I just got this now, and I tried clearing the username and retyping it and that didn't work... so I don't know what to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeleaf View Post
    I just got this now, and I tried clearing the username and retyping it and that didn't work... so I don't know what to do...
    You are probably on the edge of Turbine coming back on line after a long DNS problem. Quit the client, re-launch it and try again.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Unhappy Helppp

i have the exact same problem and i have manually logged in over and over again, i have relaunched the whole entire thing again and i even redownloaded it again. the same thing still pops up, every time... any help would be deeply appreciated

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muhhgv View Post
    i have the exact same problem and i have manually logged in over and over again, i have relaunched the whole entire thing again and i even redownloaded it again. the same thing still pops up, every time... any help would be deeply appreciated
    Please read the login bulletin in the Launcher -- LOTRO was down from 6am to 12pm on Monday.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Unhappy

yeah... but today is wednesday, yesterday was tuesday, you're talking about monday..
    Maybe it was monday for you (time zones) but i can asure you, it didnt say anything about it being down or any maintenance or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by muhhgv View Post
    yeah... but today is wednesday, yesterday was tuesday, you're talking about monday..
    Maybe it was monday for you (time zones) but i can asure you, it didnt say anything about it being down or any maintenance or anything.
    The specific error: "failed to read authentication response [err: unexpected end of file][line: 1][col: 1]"
    occurs because the client cannot successfully talk to the Authentication server. (gls.lotro.com)

Since there was no content modification with Monday's downtime, it is quite possible that Turbine did some internal network re-arranging.

This could easily cause that problem if your DNS cache is not current... which is probably your ISP's problem.

Primary fix... try resetting your modem. i.e. power-cycle it so that you get an new DHCP address. (Assuming of course that you don't have a static address. If you do have a static address, clear your ARP cache. If you don't know what a static address is -- you don't have one!)

Secondary fix... wait. If Turbine changed addresses on their internal network, it will take 24-48 hours (from noon EST 8 October) for those changes to propagate across the Internet.
    (note: 48 hours just passed.)

Try... use Utilities/Network Utility -- Traceroute to "gls.lotro.com

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

I'm experiencing this problem intermittently when i log in. Sometimes I change servers frequently during a play session, which I've been doing today, and I'm seeing it frequently. If I restart the launcher it usually clears up. Another thing I'm seeing is the login process getting "hung up" somewhere in the process. Sometimes it hangs at "getting in line" sometimes at "connection successful." In each case if I restart the process it clears up. I've never seen these things ever before, and the frequency of them has me concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    If you do have a static address, clear your ARP cache. If you don't know what a static address is -- you don't have one!
    Thanks for the info Valamar. How do you clear the ARP cache?

Quote Originally Posted by BentoIce View Post
    I'm experiencing this problem intermittently when i log in. Sometimes I change servers frequently during a play session, which I've been doing today, and I'm seeing it frequently. If I restart the launcher it usually clears up. Another thing I'm seeing is the login process getting "hung up" somewhere in the process. Sometimes it hangs at "getting in line" sometimes at "connection successful." In each case if I restart the process it clears up. I've never seen these things ever before, and the frequency of them has me concerned.

Thanks for the info Valamar. How do you clear the ARP cache?
    I guess my first question is -- how are you switching servers without quitting and restarting the Launcher?

All of the symptoms you describe are "typical" transient communications issues. I.E Internet connectivity.
    The Internet is NOT the marvelous, all-powerful entity that most people think it is. It has constant problems.
    For the most part, those problems are self-correcting. But "self-correction" takes time.
    Consequently, while they exist you see "strange things" -- because your Mac and the Turbine servers are having trouble holding a conversation.

That is why quitting and restarting the Launcher will clear most of them -- that process takes time.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff."
    (Dr. Who)

Other than that...

The arp command is available in Terminal ... "man arp" for the gory details. However, as I mentioned, it will only have an effect if you have a static IP address (and possibly not even then depending upon your network Typology.)

"arp -a" will display what is in the cache... which for most users will simply be the address of their router (and maybe your iPhone and iPad or printer).
    If that is the case, then power-cycling your router is the only way to do have any clearing effect as your router is the issue, not your system.

The cleanest way to flush the arp cache in OSX is to reboot. The flush happens automatically.

Otherwise, First quit all open applications - Safari, Mail, LOTRO, Messages, iTunes, etc. - anything which communicate over the internet.

Then in a Terminal window "sudo arp -d -a"

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)