We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Wink How to increase your DPS by up to 200% as any class

Simply watch this video if you do not want to read, it uses Aion as a reference but the same mechanics apply to all classes in LOTRO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjUkHSKb8WQ

-------------------------------------

Now, basically what most people do when ever they are fighting is simply use their skills. Doing this provides you with only a fraction of the possible damage you can actually output alone. I have tested this technique on champions and hunters with success, but have not tested any other classes, that being said I am positive it will work on all characters for most skills, if not all of them.

Basically the technique involves weaving, or adding in auto attacks between skills, but timing it perfectly to the point where you cancel your auto attack animation completely. When done on a champion you simply wait for your weapon to move from its starting position, then use a skill, and repeat. Alternatively you can simply wait for your auto attack and then use a skill, but this does not increase your DPS by much the longer the time you add between auto attacks and skills.

As a hunter right clicking a mob to attack it and then using a skill immediately after will start your chains of auto attacks and skills. When successfully done you will begin your induction time for your skill, for example quick shot, but at the same time you will see your arrow get shot. This means you can get an auto attack off and start your induction time at nearly the exact same time, saving you time for every skill used, as well as increasing your DPS.

I have yet to see any one do this when killing anything so I think people simply do not know about attack animation canceling. I hope this helps some of you increase your current DPS, and I am sure some of you will be surprised how much more dmg you are doing simply by adding an auto attack between every single skill cast. One major pro from doing this, besides the increased DPS, is the longer lasting amount of power you have, especially if you are a champion who notices your power depleted in a short duration.

For a champion I found 2H wep + using this technique to provide far better DPS than 2 single handed weapons, even though there are more skills that provide off hand damage. Walking up to a mob and using an auto attack and a skill at the same time resulting in a mobs instant death is to good to pass up, certainly not possible for me to do with two low dmg one handed weps which provide lower crit dmg.

Sounds interesting. You forget though, that most skills that are not fast/instant require an auto-attack between 2 skills. Does this mean that to weave properly you have to do 2 auto-attacks, one regular and one with cancelled animation? Because if the usual required single auto-attack gets automatically cancelled, weaving in lotro seems pointless.

Will test when game gets back on.

You obviously haven't been playing Lotro long if you have only just worked this out.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000193eb7/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by dooley1 View Post
    You obviously haven't been playing Lotro long if you have only just worked this out.
    not playing that long either, but i did not know this either

I think you missed some mechanic in lotro. Every skills in lotro (including auto attack skills) have 2 "delay": 1- animation, 2- duration. Animation depend on skills, could be short or long. Duration equal for every classes and skills, but some classes has skill/buff/legacy... to reduce skills' duration. There are some skills' types: immediate, fast, and normal skill. Immediate skills will cancel the previous skill on queue, break animation, ignore duration and execute immediately. Fast skill doesnt break animation, but ignore duration and executed right after the previous skill's animation end. Normal skill have to wait both animation and duration delay of the previous skill finished before it can be executed. Champ has fastest rotation because they have many fast and immediate skills and - attack duration (improved with capt's buff). Guard have some fast skills but they need parry to unlock those.

PS: nvm i see what you mean. I think it's a bug, like the bug of guard's parry chain. But this doesnt work well for me at least, with ~300 ping.
    Last edited by Hiritier; Jun 24 2013 at 01:36 PM.

I thought they changed it a while back such that auto-attacks always happen- even coinciding with skill useage- regardless of animation....
    [COLOR=yellow][B]Landroval[/B][/COLOR] - [B][URL="http://www.councilofthesecretfire.com"]The Council of the Secret Fire[/URL][/B] Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000001c94/01005/signature.png]Moondog[/charsig]
    [B][COLOR=SeaGreen]Musings on LOTRO and other games:[/COLOR][/B] [url]www.killtenrats.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog548 View Post
    I thought they changed it a while back such that auto-attacks always happen- even coinciding with skill useage- regardless of animation....

I'm pretty sure they did too.

Yes, they did. It's safe to disregard the above advice.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

Correct.

In yet another simplication of the combat system, the need for a proper rotation to get the most out of your auto attacks is of limited use. Auto attacks will automatically fire whenever they are available as soon as the current skill ends, before the next skills begins without slowing down your skills. Auto attacks now execute instantly.

The visuals you see of your character may or may not show auto attack animations depending on what skills you are using and the options that you have set such blending. These options do not change the combat timing or the damage output.

The only optimization left is having a break between skills so that a ready auto attack can fire. Some classes like Hunters may not be able to get all the potential autoattacks because the autoattack becomes available and has to wait for the current induction and execution to end. It is no big loss for a Hunter. Hunter induction skills generate massive amounts of ranged damage. It takes at least five auto attacks to equal the damage output of Heartseeker.

It is a much simplier system. You no longer have to provide a long end gap for the auto attack to execute in. We do not have to worry varying weapon speeds especially for melee attacks. We can't disable auto attacks anymore so that we can string skills together. Or get the next critical skill done before something bad happens.

The idea that auto attacks will double your damage output is bogus. An auto attack is a very low damage attack. You get most of your damage from skills. It is easy to show how little your auto attacks do by attacking an opponent and refusing to use any skills. Kill another opponent using both auto attacks and skills.

For a laugh try this experiment with a DPS spec Minstrel. I can tell you from personal experience. It takes a very long time to beat a mob to death with your melee auto attack.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Jun 25 2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

This worked 3 years ago. Not anymore.