We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

How does a half-elf choose to be mortal or immortal?

So, i know that half-elven were given a choice to be one of the elves, or men, but i just wonder how does they do that?

The only choice was mentioned was Earendil. He made his choice in front of Manwe, in Valinor, so i can imagine that the great Valar touch his "magic ward" on Earendil's head and "Pooop!!" he became an elf with those fancy pointed-ears (lol). But what about other half-elven? Do Valar meet them in their dream and ask them: "ok which kin you want to be?" If so, when? When they reach adult age? When they marry (another elf or human)? Could a half-elf chose to be elf, but then fell in love with a mortal and said: "Sorry gods, suddenly i think elf is gay, i want to be a mortal."? But somehow, it still doesnt sound right to me.

Probably it doesnt like an immediate choice...

At first i thought probably they need to go to Aman and live there a while to become an elf. If they stay in middle-earth, they can live longer other human, but finally the power of the elf will fade and they getting old and die.

But then i remember Elrond and his sons have never been there untill after the war of the ring, but age doesnt effect on them and they are still counted as elves.

Then i thought, ok, probably you need to live in the elven realm if you are a half-elf. Some kind of "magic" there would keep your elf-blood's power from fading. Example Arwen, when she lived in Rivendell, she's an elf, like her brothers, but when she married Aragorn and moved to Minas Tirith, she became a mortal.

So what is your theory?

Not only Earendil. Tolkien stated clearly that Earendil, Elwing, Elrond, Elros, and Elrond's children were given a conscious choice of kindred. Choice granted by the Valar empowered by Eru himself in this matter.
    So all they had to do was decide.
    Last edited by Egorvlad; Jun 24 2013 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    Not only Earendil. Tolkien stated clearly that Earendil, Elwing, Elrond, Elros, and Elrond's children were given a conscious choice of kindred. Choice granted by the Valar empowered by Eru himself in this matter.
    So all they had to do was decide.
    Yeah, but the problem is how. I think you missed the point of my post. When i have to made that decision? When i come to adult age? When i get married? How Valar know which kin i chose? I have to pray to them, or they visit me in dream and ask me? What if i decided to be an elf, but yet married a mortal, live in middle-earth all my life and never ever set foot in Aman?
    Last edited by Hiritier; Jun 24 2013 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiritier View Post
    Yeah, but the problem is how. I think you miss the point of my post. When i have to made that decide? When i come to adult age? When i get married? How Valar know which kin i chose? I have to pray to them, or they visit me in dream and ask me? What if i decided to be an elf, but yet married a mortal, live in middle-earth all my life and never ever set foot in Aman?
    Earendil, Elwing, Elrond and Elros were actually asked to make a decision on the spot so to speak.
    Earendil and Elwing made it in Aman before the Valar. Elrond and Elros were presented with the question after the War of Wrath.
    Elrond's children made their final choice by deciding whether to leave Middle-earth for Valinor.

The final transition is made directly by the will of Iluvatar when you make a conscious choice. There's no second chance and no other way.
    Last edited by Egorvlad; Jun 24 2013 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    Earendil, Elwing, Elrond and Elros were actually asked to make a decision on the spot so to speak.
    Earendil and Elwing made it in Aman before the Valar. Elrond and Elros were presented with the question after the War of Wrath.
    Elrond's children made their final choice by deciding whether to leave Middle-earth for Valinor.

The final transition is made directly with the will of Iluvatar when you make a conscious choice. There's no second chance and no other way.
    I see... But what if Arwen decided to leave Middle-earth after Aragorn died? Can she still be immortal?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiritier View Post
    I see... But what if Arwen decided to leave Middle-earth after Aragorn died? Can she still be immortal?
    No. As I said, the decision is made once and for all. She made it by refusing to accompany her father and brothers. After that she no longer had any options.

the power of the word

there's a concept used in sociology/anthropology. what this characters did can be classified as performativity(the capacity of speech and gestures to perform an identity). their election make them what they chose. like when you are marriied when you say i do ..ect..if you want to know more about this concept read Judith Buttler ......though shes a messy writter .
    Ascension-Arkenstone :
    Third Marshal Finarfintook Minstrel
    Fire Rk Finarjul r10 & Finwetook r7 burg
    Creeps: Finsnightmare r8 defiler/ Finscreep r5 rvr