We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Captain Shouts - Why they don't do as much damage as they should

For those who want to know why captain shouts don't do that much damage is kinda simple yet odd.

In the days of Shadows Of Angmar when the level cap was 50 each level you would get Tactical damage rating that stopped at level 50 because in Moria they released legendary weapons that would increase tactical damage rating like lore-master, Rune-keepers, minstrels. All of their weapons give tactical damage rating increase on the Legendary weapons. Captains don't have anything that help, and captains have tactical skills (battle-shout, routing cry) and the problem is they hit so low and your forced to use them in order to do anything dps wise.

This is why I think Captain shouts are weak is because captains don't have anything to increase their tactical damage rating like other classes. I hope in helms deep something will happen.

please post your own idea's and maybe something magical will happen.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000122a48/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Ancient Captain of Windfola

Quote Originally Posted by ApplepieGooddog View Post
    For those who want to know why captain shouts don't do that much damage is kinda simple yet odd.

In the days of Shadows Of Angmar when the level cap was 50 each level you would get Tactical damage rating that stopped at level 50 because in Moria they released legendary weapons that would increase tactical damage rating like lore-master, Rune-keepers, minstrels. All of their weapons give tactical damage rating increase on the Legendary weapons. Captains don't have anything that help, and captains have tactical skills (battle-shout, routing cry) and the problem is they hit so low and your forced to use them in order to do anything dps wise.

This is why I think Captain shouts are weak is because captains don't have anything to increase their tactical damage rating like other classes. I hope in helms deep something will happen.

please post your own idea's and maybe something magical will happen.
    Going by what the character sheet says, our tactical mastery is drawn from might. Tactical mastery feeds into both tactical damage and outgoing healing - so we've got the mastery to back it up.

As far as DPS goes, from what I know of the tacticals, there isn't anything like a weapon DPS on their LIs for overall tactical DPS (ignoring the various skill and damage type legacies).

So I'm not really seeing what you're getting at =/
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

This sword has +5 Tactical Damage rating on it, I guess that's the tactical damage bonus you're thinking of.

As far as I know the weapon DPS itself cannot be improved on LM/Mins/RK mainhand LIs, only the Tactical Damage rating increases. Unless Captains can get both increased, swapping to Tactical Damage rating rather than Weapon DPS would be quite a nerf as I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post

This sword has +5 Tactical Damage rating on it, I guess that's the tactical damage bonus you're thinking of.

As far as I know the weapon DPS itself cannot be improved on LM/Mins/RK mainhand LIs, only the Tactical Damage rating increases. Unless Captains can get both increased, swapping to Tactical Damage rating rather than Weapon DPS would be quite a nerf as I see it.
    I mean, the only two skills we have that do tactical damage are Routing Cry and Battle-Shout. I would guess that most of the level related stuff is automatic, and we haven't been stagnating because of it. It's just not as strong as our counterparts because we are not tactical DPSers.

While I suspect that tactical mastery may play a part in how threat is calculated - I have no concrete proof to that claim other than a rather nice tin foil hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    I mean, the only two skills we have that do tactical damage are Routing Cry and Battle-Shout. I would guess that most of the level related stuff is automatic, and we haven't been stagnating because of it. It's just not as strong as our counterparts because we are not tactical DPSers.

While I suspect that tactical mastery may play a part in how threat is calculated - I have no concrete proof to that claim other than a rather nice tin foil hat.
    Indeed, but as the topic is Captain Shouts, that is most likely the 2 skills OP is talking about. I agree the effect on the total DPS would be extremely small if Captains were given Tactical Damage rating on LI, but it'd still make our shouts hit harder.

As for threat (and Captain tanking in general), I think the tin foil hat is our best answer.

The idea isn't to replace it on the current legendary weapons. The idea is the fact that when your first leveling a captain Battle-shout is the best skill you got and around level 50 it never get any stronger mainly because of tactical damage rating the amount that a first age RK weapon gives you 93 points of tactical damage rating which is about... About 100% increase shout damage. Funny enough with that your shouts would do the same damage as your normal attack (or even auto attacks) it's just makes it fun to shout again. .

Bottom line is with helms deep ANOTHER 10 levels of battle-shout doing the same damage. Unless something is done about shout damage to make it more fun to use. Like it was when leveling.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000122a48/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Ancient Captain of Windfola

Quote Originally Posted by ApplepieGooddog View Post
    The idea isn't to replace it on the current legendary weapons. The idea is the fact that when your first leveling a captain Battle-shout is the best skill you got and around level 50 it never get any stronger mainly because of tactical damage rating the amount that a first age RK weapon gives you 93 points of tactical damage rating which is about... About 100% increase shout damage. Funny enough with that your shouts would do the same damage as your normal attack (or even auto attacks) it's just makes it fun to shout again. .

Bottom line is with helms deep ANOTHER 10 levels of battle-shout doing the same damage. Unless something is done about shout damage to make it more fun to use. Like it was when leveling.
    AFAIK, they were autoleved with everything else...

There really needs to be a general Damage Rank legacy on the main-hand LI so our class isn't hurt by (yet another) fringe case.

The base damage on our shouts does scale. It just doesn't scale very well at all. I think this is the bigger difference between us and the Tactical classes, rather than LI ratings.

I mean, the innate rating on LM books is Tactical Healing Rating, just like on our emblems. Same goes for RK Satchels and Minstrel Songbooks. So they're not getting extra tactical damage from their LIs. Maybe from some of their legacies, but we have a legacy that increases Routing Cry's damage as well.

The problem is, Routing Cry's base damage is still very low. +40% of bad damage is still bad damage, unfortunately.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    I mean, the innate rating on LM books is Tactical Healing Rating, just like on our emblems. Same goes for RK Satchels and Minstrel Songbooks. So they're not getting extra tactical damage from their LIs. Maybe from some of their legacies, but we have a legacy that increases Routing Cry's damage as well..
    But as I posted earlier in this thread, their mainhand LI has Tactical Damage Rating, which does quite a good bit to their damaging skills.