We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

PvMP Strategies Against Defilers/Reavers

Hey guys, just wondering on how you guys deal with high rank/store-bought Defilers and Reavers?

With the store-bought/high rank defilers, it ends up just being one massive boring fight. I just walked away after a twenty minute fight with a store-bought defiler last week because he kept fearing me and healing up. These fears are unpottable apparently.

With the store-bought/high rank Reavers (high-ranks more-so) it just feels like I'm hitting a brick-wall. And as soon as I get below half-health, the fight is over at that point. I just get critted into oblivion with DS and Impale.

So, do any of you have strategies? By the way, these fights I have so much trouble with include the creeps branding. I can usually handle most other creeps if I plan the fight carefully.
    Eniigmatik | Exploit

Actually I wrote quite long post, but... thank you Turbine for your uber working forum.

For now all will come to simple question: You are QK or Gamble?
    Gifford brg // Clodvig mns // Clodas wrd
    Clodburz dfl
    WeRock
    Yes, english is not my native language.

I'm QK.
    Eniigmatik | Exploit

As qk i do this:

Reaver:
    reveal weakness >> location is everything >> surprise strike
    Then i Mez (im traited so i get 3 seconds) him go to back and burglar advantage >> double edge >> aim (for crit garanted) >> flashing blades
    If he got more than 50% of morale i use knives out (2 pieces bonus pvp with bleed) if not i use touch and go
    then improved faint tack >> subt. stab >> cunning attack >> counter defense >> trip and start again surprise strike >> burglar advantage >> double edge >> flashing blades or exposed throat id FB on cd.

Defiler:
    i do not fight with defiler r6+. I Just cant kill most of them.
    "Do or Do Not, There is No Try."
    Yoda.

Well, I am Gamble so can only help in this matters:

Def: I CC as hell, Gamble give me many options for that, with higher evades than in QK, it's just waiting when def will make mistake, loose power, with new MG you can survive, and just wait for effects, but yea... it will be really long fight.

Rvr: Debuff, and once again debuff, CR + disable, in good moment KO with pandemonium set. Quite importent is positioning. After a while you can expect suicide rage, in this moment just hips and observe how unlucky guy trying desperatly to find you.
    Gifford brg // Clodvig mns // Clodas wrd
    Clodburz dfl
    WeRock
    Yes, english is not my native language.

Defilers I find not to be a problem at all in the state of the moors. What I do is if you don't have a decent dps rotation you should get one asap. When you get that, you might already have one, you want to try to just play with him for a bit and get your dev chance up(assuming you have the unseen set). Once your dev chance is up you want to start your stuns. Having them stunned and getting optimal positional you should just wreck them. Also if you have the time you can always switch your gear to more dps orientated gear if you are too heavy on tac mit/morale build.

Reavers are a different story. Reavers are still tough and as a QK burg you want to keep his deeps as low as possible. If he sticks the miss chance debuff on you, pot that. Keep disable on him. Some people like to pot a bleed instead of the miss chance, which is nice because impale is crazy deeps, but it's honestly up to you. Get early stuns/mez to try and get him to pop ATO and Resilience/stun pots. After you know he has popped those, your stuns will be uncounterable(if that's a word lol). Good luck out there!
    [center][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/PerishableOath]Burglar 'Moors Videos[/url][/center]

against defilers, for the first 30 seconds, i use only surprise strike, subtle stab, and glee.

once i get my dev buff up to 15%, i riddle(if they pot this, its awesome, if not no big deal), and go into my normal dps rotation. assuming they didnt pot the riddle, i twist after going through my crit chain once or twice, which they will pot.. at this point they should be around half, and will try to fear+big heal. when they fear, pot it, and if addle is up ill interrupt it, if not ill FA+provoke and hope the mez procs, get behind for even more positional, and by this point then tend to be dead.

with reavers, i find it very funny to start the fight out of stealth, and hit KO during their charge so they burn half their own morale lol. basically though, its keeping disable up, get positional when you can, and pray to god impale doesnt crit with 3+bleeds on you. if you have trick range(and if you dont...why not?:P) dust+twist when yuo get 3 bleeds on you to maybe kite a bit let them tick off, so when they do impale, it wont hit quite as hard. other than that, glee early, make full use of provoke mez, since 15 sec cd is <33, and hope they dont crit impale lol
    Last edited by lugbur; May 22 2013 at 03:15 PM.
    lugbur R11 reaver /// guthfred R9 cappy /// beregon R8 hunter /// guthblade R9 champ + too many other things

Re: Defilers

For defilers, addle and fear pots are key. Keep addle up, and they shouldn't get many, if any inductions off. So, they'll try fear/heal. Once you pop the fear pot, they really have no more tricks up their sleeves.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Amdul; May 30 2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "All of us have left someone behind. That is why we brave the darkness. We fight so they may see the dawn."

I dont even see how its possible to lose against a defiler with a burglar now a days, i can finish every 1v1 against a defiler with full morale and power.

As for reavers...

Avoid taking an impale with more than 2 bleeds. Knives out or cc when you feel an impale coming ( they try to stack bleeds before using it ). Trick range works wonders, dont forget to glee.
    I do it for the lulz. ~SnH~
    People @ turbine/WB are a huge tease, but dont worry they end up screwing you on every update/expansion.
    " When enough scrubs get together, they accomplish great things "

Depending on how much grind you want to get into....here's something left of field I posted on Reddit a few weeks back

I came during u9 when spiders were OP and burgs were struggling.

I threw the book out the window after I found I could not beat reavers and spiders back like I could at 65 and decided to run MMode.

I've got more CC than you can shake a stick at and haven't lost a 1vs1 against any class in months, no TnG, no HiPs, no starting in stealth etc. etc.

Ok the book out the window....

MMode = confound and disable. With that much finesse debuff our evade and parry is back on the table and with the right virtues you can bring resistance back into play

MMode = more riddles Personally I use +16m riddle range - more to annoy than anything else but it does stop em gettin' away.

MMode = super long tricks With AoE dust lasting 1m15s you can spam and forget with +9m trick range. Kite your reavers using spammable disable and Quite a Snag on a 15CD with the root

MMode = laugh in the face of spiders trait virtues that max resistance and tac mit. Aim for 11k ish Resistance. Once you have finesse debuffed the spider you see the old 'Resist' come up like in the old days. If they do get any DoTS on you your full poison clear is available on a 20s CD. Kill the pet first. Add a side helping of poison resist food for good measure

Specifics on gear:

*Sword > Dagger for the plus parry, off hand new r10 mace. *Cloak = Sarchol from Pits *Legendary titles = +parry as evade takes care of itself. (Even though the parry number is less it is claimed that I parry more than I evade..?)*edit you could go crit def. now with wildermore. *Gold rings from Snowbourn (crit def. and HoT) *Great River Runes -2.5% att.dur + morale.

Where does this leave me? with bugger all agility (about 1800) BUT thanks to the lovely people at Burg PvMP Armour City we have the Unseen set....so I'll dev you in the face all the way back to Gramsfoot and if you try and hit me I'll take the stacking bonus from the Chance set...

Finally macro your heal. Put glee and glee pulses on another bag with Inc healing relics/gems/runes. Then at the press of a button you can swap bags, Glee for 1500+, swap bags bag. (and enjoy a little server lag)...

I think thats the main points covered except one - it is super fun running mischief, enraging BAs from 36m away, hot swapping the pandemonium armour to double riddle two healers from 40m away...and spamming dust on warg packs for 1m15s....wait to be focused for being the most annoying person ever but you won't die because YOU ARE MADE OF IRON with 45% mits...

Please ask if you want me to expand on anything...or offer even further tweakin...
    [SIZE=3][B]Ohpra ([I]née [/I][/B][I][B]Oprah[/B][/I][B]) Commander of the Juiced Up Dog Rooter[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=3][B] Bomantankz[/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?518497-Are-you-ready-to-be-sectioned"][I]Are you ready to be sectioned?[/I][/URL][/SIZE]
    ------------------------
    [URL="http://www.dd-asylum.info"][COLOR=#ffa500]www.dd-asylum.info[/COLOR][/URL]

trick kiting, lawl. stop reading right there.
    lugbur R11 reaver /// guthfred R9 cappy /// beregon R8 hunter /// guthblade R9 champ + too many other things

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrcsBane View Post
    With the store-bought/high rank defilers, it ends up just being one massive boring fight. I just walked away after a twenty minute fight with a store-bought defiler last week because he kept fearing me and healing up. These fears are unpottable apparently.
    If you don't have the addle on -75% induction, the defiler should not be able to use Fell Restoration in the time you are feared (maybe 5% of the time); if you are feared then spam the number/click the button to execute addle, it will be the first thing you will do straight when you are unfeared. Keep addle up all the times.

When it comes to store potions, just be lame back, it is hard to finish a defiler (store brought/high rank) with him using store potions (been there, done that), and a suggestion is either:

1) Make a second tool, add the subtle stab relic on it and switch it whenever you use some subtle stabs;
    2) Get your level 65/75 ettenmoors set out of the vault and switch it before a subtle stab. The -50% incoming damage debuff is amazing.
    Warning: Number 2 can cause stress and some DPS loss.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrcsBane View Post
    With the store-bought/high rank Reavers (high-ranks more-so) it just feels like I'm hitting a brick-wall. And as soon as I get below half-health, the fight is over at that point. I just get critted into oblivion with DS and Impale.
    If Impale crits, your chances are close to zero, because it simply does way too much damage on a higher ranked reaver. This means that the reaver vs burg fights are pretty crit dependent (no impale/ds crit vs many burg crits -> burg wins). However, try to start off with a Cunning attack. Why? Because Surprise Strike is way too less damage since the -20% buff on reavers. Cunning attack will do more damage over time and you will be able to hit more and more; rather than a 900-1k Surprise Strike, which does not do much. Try to stun/daze the reaver (preferably end your first crit chain with ET since it can stun), else use the earlier used IFA for a provoke. If both fail, then use a quick riddle. once the second buff is off, go for a Startling Twist, if you have a respectable reaver, he will not pot it. Else, you are fighting a noob and you will most likely not win due to lameness/a possible wrath later on. If the reaver uses wrath, use KO, counter the cooldown. Keep disable on all the time since it might fk up the reaver's rotation and naturally it will give less damage.

Good luck!
    [IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/2qx7sdx.png[/IMG]
    [B]:::[/B][IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/33lk1hx.png[/IMG][B] :::[/B] ~ Arrostorm
    [B][color=green]::: Commander Vilemaw Sad, Watcher ::: - Get it? ---- [/color] [color=blue]::: Master Guardian Ceburia 'the Banned' ::: ----[/color] Snowbourn[EU][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by sebo2yoface View Post
    Knives out or cc when you feel an impale coming.
    Knives out does not work to mitigate impale damage. Something about impale not being considered a melee damage source or some garbage. I believe it's a bug but not sure. Rather, use KO on dev strike. Only thing you can do to mitigate LOLpale is to try to get rid of some of the bleeds by potting/kiting.
    [center][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/PerishableOath]Burglar 'Moors Videos[/url][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Agonize View Post
    Knives out does not work to mitigate impale damage. Something about impale not being considered a melee damage source or some garbage. I believe it's a bug but not sure. Rather, use KO on dev strike. Only thing you can do to mitigate LOLpale is to try to get rid of some of the bleeds by potting/kiting.
    30% of the initial impale hit ignores mits, and the extra damage per bleed ignores all mits.

Defiler: Faceroll, spam subtle stab, spam glee, dominate. If you play your burg correctly, and you are geared correctly, you should never lose to a defiler these days with the glee power return.

Reaver: pot your wounds, try and avoid big impale crits by either b/p/e, stacking crit defense, or dust miss chance, and when in doubt: blow cooldowns, lmao.

Trait Disable. Traited Disable is so sick nasty in PVP vs reavers and wargs, it's ridiculous, go 5 red, with sneak speed, and disable in the moors.

CC is pointless and will just hold you back, between resilience and stun pot, learn to fight without CC, don't use it as a crutch, work on superior movement to get your positional damage.

I don't use stuns or mezzes in any fight with any solo creep, fight straight up debuff/damage, and there is only one reaver on my server who gives me trouble, and he gives everyone trouble, he's a great player

If you can learn to fight reavers without CC, and without knives out or touch and go, and learn to dominate most reavers, And you happen to come across a really good one like I referenced, you have two options. Take your death like a man, or pop cooldowns. It all depends on how deep your imaginary sense of video game honour goes.

Also, along with not CCing stop using stealth. If you gimp yourself, and learn to win while gimping yourself, when you choose not to gimp, and use your resources, they become far more potent.

Instead of ganking the next creep you see, riddle them, unstealth, and jump, try and get a 1v1 without stealth, without CC, and without CDs. Die a few hundred times and you will become a pro.

If you can learn to play this way, when you choose to use stealth and stuns in the open field, they become way more potent, because you arent using them to survive, you already know how to survive without them, now you are using them as a weapon instead of a defense
    Manbeorpig 100 Beorning, Brandywine.

A few good points were made as to more of the specifics for fighting each class, I suppose I'll put my 2 cents of agreements in.

Agree that for the first 30 seconds of a defiler fight, just essentially spam Surprise strike to get your dev buff up, glee to heal your morale and power, and subtle stab to reduce the CD of glee, while mixing in other dps as needed.

After your dev buff is up, faceroll and watch the defiler melt, same goes for warleader, no stuns should be needed for either defiler or WL.

Reaver ( my rotation goes off not starting in stealth, as I never do, so it may differ, substitute in stealth skill first if you choose to) reveal weakness, dust, for the slow, disable (traited) surprise strike, if crit chain is open now, work up it, if it is not open, try with all you've got to get it open early, and glee as soon as you drop below its heal range, continue to work them down the best you can.
    Manbeorpig 100 Beorning, Brandywine.