We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Spending TP Wisely

I feel like it took me a long time to get enough tp to obtain my first quest pack. As such, I want to make sure I'm getting my tp's worth.

My toon is level 35. I got him to 32 in Lone-lands and to 35 mostly from the epic quest line plus deeds/tasks.

I was gonna get Trollshaws next cause Turbine says it takes you to level 50. Most people on this forum and elsewhere on the net say Trollshaws is a waste; not many quests and the ones that could take you to 50 are fellowship quests and hard/impossible to solo at level. SO you end up in the low 40's.

Then they recommend Evendim or North Downs instead. The problem there is that those zones only goes to 40; why blow my first pack on 5 levels?!?!

So, then I'm thinking I could get one of the quest packs that start at 39/40 and take you to 50/52, Misty Mountains, Angmar, or Forochel. Im told Misty, like Troll, doesn't have enough quests, Angmar is a lot of fellowship quests, which leaves Forochel. I rode my toon up there and all the beasts were purple to me (i was actually 34 at the time) plus there weren't very many of them. If I go this route, I'm going to have to level to 39/40 first some other way (skirmish?!?).

Trollshaw/Evendim/North Downs/Forochel, what should I do? Im torn between Troll and Forochel, but I'm open.

Evendim can probably get you all the way to 42. Additionally, there are a lot of deeds in Evendim, run two characters through there and it will pay for itself. After that, you will have enough to buy Forochel.
    Silverlode refugee

I agree with Evendim but I advise against Forochel afterwards. Go directly to Moria @ 45 and quest your way through 64-65 there.
    Caputo - Burglar | Drugar - Champ | Wislingard - Warden | Xenilinex - Hunter | Tonenas - RK | Rhichard - CAP

Quote Originally Posted by FragLimiT View Post
    I agree with Evendim but I advise against Forochel afterwards. Go directly to Moria @ 45 and quest your way through 64-65 there.
    I would not do this, especially not on your first character. You could start Moria at lvl 45, but you'll have a hard time killing anything until you reach lvl 48ish, which might result in a few unnecessary deaths. Also, it won't take you to lvl 64-65 by just questing, you'll need to grind through a lot of mobs and instances to get 20 levels out of any expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by VimVeebo View Post
    Then they recommend Evendim or North Downs instead. The problem there is that those zones only goes to 40; why blow my first pack on 5 levels?!?!

So, then I'm thinking I could get one of the quest packs that start at 39/40 and take you to 50/52, Misty Mountains, Angmar, or Forochel. Im told Misty, like Troll, doesn't have enough quests, Angmar is a lot of fellowship quests, which leaves Forochel. I rode my toon up there and all the beasts were purple to me (i was actually 34 at the time) plus there weren't very many of them. If I go this route, I'm going to have to level to 39/40 first some other way (skirmish?!?).

Trollshaw/Evendim/North Downs/Forochel, what should I do? Im torn between Troll and Forochel, but I'm open.
    You could buy Evendim, it's true that you won't have its full worth on this toon but you will have it on your next one, should you decide to roll another (which is very likely for a lot of players). I also want to point out that Angmar doesn't have as much fellowship quests as you may believe. I ran through most of it on my minstrel and did all of it on my champ, and there are very few fellowship quests in the early part. Most of the group content is at the end, when you get close to 50. The reason behind this is that Angmar used to be the main end-game zone before the expansions were introduced.

Forochel is a good option too, but actually starts around lvl 42 IIRC. It's true that it doesn't hold that much quests, but it should be able to get you up to around 50. It has its advantages and disadvantages, just like Angmar, so your choice between these 2 depends on yourself.

As you said, Trollshaws isn't very much of an option. It does start in the 30s but it has very few quests, no instances, all quest locations are terribly far apart without swift-travel options, and the northern half is mostly occupied by elite trolls and spiders, which makes it hard to quest there (because nearly nobody else goes there).

North Downs isn't much of an option either anymore for you since these quests only go up to lvl 38ish I think, and the last quests there are mostly fellowship as well. Evendim on the other hand can get you to lvl 42ish. Annuminas can be hard to solo, but it's possible if you watch out.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
    Fordil of Landroval, Minstrel officer of The Alliance

Check out my Guide for New Players: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?507561-GUIDE-New-to-LOTRO-hints-and-tips

I was gonna get Trollshaws next cause Turbine says it takes you to level 50. Most people on this forum and elsewhere on the net say Trollshaws is a waste; not many quests and the ones that could take you to 50 are fellowship quests and hard/impossible to solo at level. SO you end up in the low 40's.
    All true. All quests not in Tal Bruinen get you 2-3 levels tops. Tal Bruinen adds another 1-3.

North Downs also not recommended. There are some quests for level 35-39, but they are at the end of the zone and mostly fellowship. Most part of North Downs is L22-34 quests overlapping with Lone Lands.

Evendim is THE best choice, trust me. There are hundreds of quests (about 4 to 6 times more than in Trollshaws) that will get you into L42-43 even if you start them at 35. There are also more deeds than in most other areas, allowing you to get your TP back more quickly.

You pretty much need at least TWO quest packs for L35-50. Remember, it used to be the core of the game back at launch, after the starter 20 levels. I suggest to people either Evendim+Forochel (43-50) or Evendim+Eregion (48-52). All of those zones are well structured, with many quests organized in accessible chains and beautiful landscape to boot. For now, you should get Evendim and play through it to L41-43, then go and do the Free Epic books in North Downs, Trollshaws, Misty Mountains and South Angmar - that's at least 1-2 more levels. Then pick either Forochel and Eregion and roll with that. Don't forget to do tasks along the way for extra XP. One single quest pack for L35-50 simply would not do, sorry.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000000704a/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I would sincerelly reccomend Evendim. A big area, almost a paradise for gathering resources, kind of easy way to get Kindred with local faction, lots of quests. Plus, it's continuation of the Shire, so your next toon could quest in OartBarton and gain valuable Gift Mathoms. Yes, some Evendim deeds are very grindy (Limfavrn slayer is a real pain), but having concern for your alts, it would be very good. I do enjoy this region and used to ride and just rest there, mining metal.

Angmar vs Forochel: well, depends on many things. Angmar is grumpy (Mr. Sauron, please invest some gold by hiring new desginer, your Orcish ones are noobs), kind of mountainous maze and forced fellowship; Forochel is beautyfull-looking ice world with a strong accent on Norse mythology, its quests involve riding forward and backward, also cold factor is against you and local lake is not designed for swimming. Getting kindred with Lossoth means huge grind.

Eregion: a must.ANother good region with very little forced fellowship content. I do reccomend it. After all, Moria is near and you probablt going there anyway.

Evendim -> Forochel/Angmar -> (Eregion) -> Moria.

Or in this way:
    North Downs, Misty Mountains and Trollshaws do NOT bring you to the level as said in the description.
    [COLOR="#669966"][center][size=1]Mildford - R9 Hunter • Support - R7 LM
    The Storm Crusaders • Gladden[/size][/center][/COLOR]

To clarify this a bit: The level range stated for the quest packs only refers to what level the quests in the region have. It is not an indicator how much XP you can get out of that region, neither does it state a maximum level you can get from it. This seems to be a common misconception with new players.
    Generally the recommended questing path is Lone Lands (to 30-32) -> Evendim (to 40-43) -> Forochel/Angmar (to 45-48) -> Eregion/Moria (to 47-50) -> Moria (to 58-62), but there are many viable variations and alternatives.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    .... Moria (to 58-62), but there are many viable variations and alternatives.
    afaik Moria is 50-58 and lothlorien 58-62....
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

Quote Originally Posted by Flixxer View Post
    afaik Moria is 50-58 and lothlorien 58-62....
    Reread my whole post Moria has enough content to get above level 60 easily.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    Reread my whole post Moria has enough content to get above level 60 easily.
    very true, there's more than enough to get to 62, i entered Moria at 48 on my captain, and when i exited the other side i was just shy of 62 and i hadn't even touched the foundation quests.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

I too would recommend evendim, it's a really good zone and can get you into the early 40's easily. Just one thing i would waran you about Evendim though there's a couple of quests that send you out of the zone (one to someone in esteldin and one to see aragorn and elrond in rivendel), DON;T skip these and make sure you get the follow up quest from them that takes you back, if you skip these thinking they can't be important and they're too far to travel then you will miss out on two very good long chains of quests in evendim, i missed them on my first character and i was left scratching my head wondering why i had finished the zone at 38 and trying to work out where to go next.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

Question about quest packs, their price in TPs and payoffs.
    Situation: I have purchased most of content and thinking about next quest pack(s). May purchase the following:
    North Downs
    Trollshaws
    Great River
    Wildermore

However, the biggest problem is that some of them offer way too little TPs; unlike Evendim or Moria, these are not the wisest TP investment.
    The question: which quest pack would it wiser to purchase in terms of TP return value?

Quote Originally Posted by NaktiesKarys View Post
    Situation: I have purchased most of content and thinking about next quest pack(s). May purchase the following:
    North Downs
    Trollshaws
    Great River
    Wildermore

However, the biggest problem is that some of them offer way too little TPs; unlike Evendim or Moria, these are not the wisest TP investment.
    The question: which quest pack would it wiser to purchase in terms of TP return value?
    You mean in terms of TP you can get from deeds? I'd guess Great River, but that's mostly speculation, I don't have the numbers. Deeding in North Downs and even more in Trollshaws can be very annoying (and I've done them all). Wildermore is still kind of endgame, which is both good and bad for deeding. If TP are your main concern and you have completed deeds in all the other regions Trollshaws and North Downs might still be worth it due to the reputation meta-deeds. If you care about instances, North Downs includes the Fornost cluster, while the rest have no (scaling) instances.

Quote Originally Posted by NaktiesKarys View Post
    North Downs
    Trollshaws
    Great River
    Wildermore

A friend of mine has created a deed tracker file in MS Excel to keep track of how much TP you can earn, have earned and to see what deeds you still need to work on in each zone. It should be mostly finished but there might be a few deeds missing, so I can't guarantee the following information is 100% correct.

Tp you can grind in each zone (per character):
    - North Downs: 145
    - Trollshaws: 145
    - Great River: 265
    - Wildermore: 135

Note that very few people run North Downs and Trollshaws, and these areas have relatively many fellowship quests, so they might be hard to do on-level. Wildermore currently has a lot of people doing warbands and such, but that might change drastically as soon as HD launches. Great River has by far the most TP, but a part of it is fellowship only on-level and not may people like to grind there anymore. When you reach lvl 95 after HD launches, you'll probably be able to solo it mostly though.

My advice: go with the Great River. It has nice content, great rewards (comparable to Isengard stuff if you have that expansion) and offers most TP back. ND and Trollshaws might not be the most fun areas to quest in while levelling and deeding, but it's quite easy to gain TP there when you come back with a higher lvl toon. I haven't done Wildermore content yet, but I fear it might be deserted when access to HD opens, and you might not be able to get all your deeds done there without fellowship yet.

(PS: don't forget to take reputation TP in mind, Trollshaws and North Downs are required for your World Renowned deed but Great River has 2 factions to get kindred with (although 1 is quite hard since you can only get rep by doing daily repeatables and tasks).
    Fordil of Landroval, Minstrel officer of The Alliance

Check out my Guide for New Players: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?507561-GUIDE-New-to-LOTRO-hints-and-tips

I was TP efficient by buying the quest packs when they were on sale. In the beginning of f2p there were huge sales on them. I had Evendim and Moria at half the price. Both were already good then, but got revamped to include a lot more quests. Evendim got me to level 42 at that time, and I got a leveling gap to Moria, which was below lvl 50 at that time. Now Moria is a bit easier, you can probably start it at level 48. That means you only have a gap of about 6 levels at the moment.

On my first character I filled that gap with tasks, skirmishes and epic quests. The Moria introduction quests can be done at level 45 and span almost a whole level. Volume 1 Epic books 8 tot 15 are all around level 50. You can do those as well for free starting at level 45 if you can find someone to help you with some fights in instances.
    On later characters I had enough TP's gathered to get other quest packs to fill in the gaps. The handy thing about quest packs is that you can earn them back by doing it with multiple characters. I planned to make a character of every class, so you can make a profit by buying quest packs. At the moment I'm missing North Downs, Trollshaws, Forochel and Wildermore.

I'll suggest this path to level cap:
    Ered Luin / Shire / Breeland
    Lone Lands
    Evendim
    -> gap, epics, skirmishes and tasks, later filled with a choice of Angmar/Misty Mountains/Forochel/Eregion
    Moria
    Mirkwood or Enedwaith
    Dunland
    Eastern Rohan
    [B][U]Gilrain:[/U] [COLOR="red"]Dobric 98 guardian[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR="yellow"]Dobli 30 minstrel[/COLOR] [COLOR="cyan"]Dimbli 18 dwarf champion[/COLOR] [COLOR=#8B4513]Dobriel 15 loremaster[/COLOR]| [B][U]Snowbourn:[/U] [COLOR="orange"]Dobs 100 burglar[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR="yellowgreen"]Dorblin 42 runekeeper[/COLOR] [COLOR="#EE82EE"]Dabeldor 21 captain[/COLOR] [COLOR="#3366ff"]Dobegar 21 hunter[/COLOR] [COLOR="lightgreen"]Dobebrand 17 warden[/COLOR]