We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Problem Exporting Mylotro Blogs

Since MyLotro is discontinuing the blogs, I'm trying to save all of mine. I went to the export link on the blog admin page. The button there says 'Download Export File'. I've tried it on different browsers and computers and it always gives me an error. Anyone else have this problem or know how to save your blogs. I've read the deadline is coming soon, I'd hate to lose all my blogs permanently.
    Tedemir - 100 Champion, WM Historian(K/Weapons), Rk 12
    Azuriael - 100 Lore-Master, WM Tinker(K/Jewelry), Rk 4

What kind of error message are you getting? I was able to successfully export my blog into an .xml file for my admin and private play accounts.

When I use Firefox, it gives me the File Not Found page.
    Code:
     File not found        
              Firefox can't find the file at http://my.lotro.com/user-419741/wp-admin/export.php?author=408201&submit=Download+Export+File&download=true.

Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.
      Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.
    When I used Internet Explorer, it will give me the option of saving or viewing but, when I click on either one, nothing happens.
    Code:
    Do you want to open or save export.php?author=408201&submit=Download+Export+File&download=true(4.23kb) from my.lotro.com? open/save/cancel
    4.23kb doesn't seem like the right size file and I've tried both 'restrict author' settings.
    Last edited by Tovarashh; Jun 20 2013 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovarashh View Post
    When I use Firefox, it gives me the File Not Found page.
    Code:
     File not found        
              Firefox can't find the file at http://my.lotro.com/user-419741/wp-admin/export.php?author=408201&submit=Download+Export+File&download=true.

Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.
      Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.
    When I use Netscape, it will give me the option of saving or viewing but, when I click on either one, nothing happens.
    Code:
    Do you want to open or save export.php?author=408201&submit=Download+Export+File&download=true(4.23kb) from my.lotro.com? open/save/cancel
    4.23kb doesn't seem like the right size file and I've tried both 'restrict author' settings.
    It might be an issue with netscape and FF, have you got IE or chrome? It works for me on both of them.

As to the size of the file i just did an export on one of my own personal wordpress installs; 840 posts, 11 pages, 64 categories, 689 comments, total file size: 906kb, it only exports text and not pictures.

It was IE, not netscape, sorry. It asked me to update Java, did that, just baffled. The file size isn't what it should be for 50 blogs. I could download Chrome and try that.

Edit: Chrome gave me this page.
    Code:
    This webpage is not found
    No webpage was found for the web address: http://my.lotro.com/user-419741/wp-admin/export.php?author=408201&submit=Download+Export+File&download=true
    Error 6 (net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND): The file or directory could not be found.
    Will my blogs be lost or can I still view/retrieve them from my.lotro or somewhere after the changes? I might have to copy-paste everything.
    Last edited by Tovarashh; Jun 20 2013 at 06:11 AM.

It was IE, not netscape, sorry. It asked me to update Java, did that, just baffled. The file size isn't what it should be for 50 blogs. I could download Chrome and try that.

Edit: Chrome gave me this page.
    Code:
    This webpage is not found
    No webpage was found for the web address: http://my.lotro.com/user-419741/wp-admin/export.php?author=408201&submit=Download+Export+File&download=true
    Error 6 (net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND): The file or directory could not be found.
    No, 4.3kb is not enough for a blog that size for sure, just checked on a fresh wp install, just exporting the single page, post and comment it default with the export is 5.41kb, 50+ pages should be at least 200kb.

Just checked on my own LOTRO blog, never bothered writing here, but i can't find export on it, and when i post something it submits for review not publish, that tells me that i don't have admin rights on my own blog meaning i wouldn't be able to export it, it actually looks like i'm set as a contributor on my own blog instead of author or admin, maybe there's an issue with admin rights that the guys need to look into?
    Last edited by Edrogar; Jun 20 2013 at 06:22 AM.

I noticed that the author number(408201) and user number(419741) weren't the same so I changed the author=419741 and it generated an xml file for me to download. It was also only 4kb in size. When I opened it, it contained wordpress script that looked like it was created correctly but, only have a few keywords from my blogs like tedemir, urugarth. I'm not even sure those are blog titles. So maybe I'm on the right track but have some flags missing or off. Can Edrogar or someone post the web page address that is generated when exporting blogs. Maybe I can just use that as a template.

Not really the expected best choice, but you can just save the html files in your computer and then exract it with a notepad. It's a really tedious thing to do, post by post, but at least you don't lose them.

I noticed that the author number(408201) and user number(419741) weren't the same so I changed the author=419741 and it generated an xml file for me to download. It was also only 4kb in size. When I opened it, it contained wordpress script that looked like it was created correctly but, only have a few keywords from my blogs like tedemir, urugarth. I'm not even sure those are blog titles. So maybe I'm on the right track but have some flags missing or off. Can Edrogar or someone post the web page address that is generated when exporting blogs. Maybe I can just use that as a template.
    This is how a wordpress XML from a clean install with only one user, one post, one page, one category and one comment looks.

http://www.swgrp.co.uk/wp/myblog.wor...2013-06-21.xml
    Last edited by Edrogar; Jun 21 2013 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magol View Post
    Not really the expected best choice, but you can just save the html files in your computer and then exract it with a notepad. It's a really tedious thing to do, post by post, but at least you don't lose them.
    It just depends when they'll do this and if we still have access to the blogs after the changes. If we can't retrieve our blogs then I'd start copy-pasting asap. Maybe Cordovan can answer this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edrogar View Post
    This is how a wordpress XML from a clean install with only one user, one post, one page, one category and one comment looks.
    http://www.swgrp.co.uk/wp/myblog.wor...2013-06-21.xml
    The web page address I use to get my blogs to download is http://my.lotro.com/user-419741/wp-a...&download=true. It generates this xml file, wordpress.2013-06-21.xml. The file header looks exactly like your xml file but it says wordpress/2.7 and the lines below don't include the same type of information. It's clearly from my blogs because it has some script..then a blog keyword like tedemir..and some more scipt. So maybe one of the flags is off or missing. I would need someone else with a my.lotro account, or a dev, to tell me what web address they are accessing when they push the "Download Export File" button, if it even shows what page they are accessing. Maybe they just get a save/view prompt idk, but clearly I'm close to retrieving what I want.

It just depends when they'll do this and if we still have access to the blogs after the changes. If we can't retrieve our blogs then I'd start copy-pasting asap. Maybe Cordovan can answer this.

The web page address I use to get my blogs to download is http://my.lotro.com/user-419741/wp-a...&download=true. It generates this xml file, wordpress.2013-06-21.xml. The file header looks exactly like your xml file but it says wordpress/2.7 and the lines below don't include the same type of information. It's clearly from my blogs because it has some script..then a blog keyword like tedemir..and some more scipt. So maybe one of the flags is off or missing. I would need someone else with a my.lotro account, or a dev, to tell me what web address they are accessing when they push the "Download Export File" button, if it even shows what page they are accessing. Maybe they just get a save/view prompt idk, but clearly I'm close to retrieving what I want.
    Can't help you there, i don't think my my.lotro blog is configured right, never been able to post anything as everything as everything i write can only be saved for review and i have no export option.

The my.lotro version of wordpress is a very old 2.7 version, wordpress released 3.5.2 this weekend, but the export shouldn't be much different between them, maybe a few changes but certainly not enough that half of it will be missing, there's definitely an issue there.

It is not likely that my.lotro will be available after the web site update, so if you want to save your blogs, you'll want to do that prior to the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    It is not likely that my.lotro will be available after the web site update, so if you want to save your blogs, you'll want to do that prior to the update.
    That's the problem, we can't the export is broken for some people.

I've also had problems with the export not working.

I've been reduced to cut and paste into word processing...