We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Devastating magnitude in healing

A simple question: does devastating magnitude affect healing, since I've never seen devastating heals, only critical?

I chose morale, crit, inc healing relics on my LIs, but if devastates happen in heals, it seems wiser to switch to the other relics.

Thanks in advance
    Siggy

Heals don't devastate.
    [IMG]http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii500/supermaco/2800703.png[/IMG]

Heals do devastate, but they are listed in the combat log as critical heals.

If you make a log of your critical heals you will notice that some of them will be significantly higher than the rest.

I don't know if the devastate magnitude affects those "hidden" devastate heals. I find it hard to check because the critical and devastatinge heals are not always the same. What I am trying to say is:
    (no additional critical multipliers are considered here)

If you dps, the critical hit = 1.5 x the maximum damage of the skill, the devastating hit = 2.0 x the maximum damage of the skill. (you can easily check this my hitting the training dummy with the same skill again and again. All crits will be identical, all devs will be identical).

If you heal, the critical heal = 1.5 x possible heal within the available range, the devastating heal = 2.0 x possible heal within the available range. (you can easily check by spamming the same heal on the same person, the "critical heals" will vary in a smaller range (crits) and larger range (devs) of values).

Because of those variations in critical heals I did not bother trying to find the effect of the devastating magnitude relics.

Lunasa explains it nicely but frankly I wouldn't even bother because your devastate chance is small compared to your critical. Over a long-term fight and consistent healing you will find more benefit in your survivability and tactical mastery. Critical heals are nice but putting a devastate magnitude relic is suggesting you are relying on them to be effective. Even IF hidden devastate heals are affected by the relic the other >90% of the time you are not making full use of the relic slot.

Quote Originally Posted by xDementedx View Post
    Lunasa explains it nicely but frankly I wouldn't even bother because your devastate chance is small compared to your critical. Over a long-term fight and consistent healing you will find more benefit in your survivability and tactical mastery. Critical heals are nice but putting a devastate magnitude relic is suggesting you are relying on them to be effective. Even IF hidden devastate heals are affected by the relic the other >90% of the time you are not making full use of the relic slot.
    That's like saying dps classes shouldn't use those relics either, because devastate chance is small.
    Siggy

Setting of endings or three hunters are probably the best for LI's anyway for healers. At least they give you 'something' decent. If i had a low fate stat i would look at setting of the north maybe instead.

I know devastate has a low proc chance but if you think of all the hot ticks and group heals it definitely has some worth.

Actually it probably has more worth to a healer than a dps class relative to the amount of healing you actually do.
    Last edited by Lazlo10; Jun 20 2013 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jousimies View Post
    That's like saying dps classes shouldn't use those relics either, because devastate chance is small.
    I questioned the devastate relics over long term fights (generally PVE) and I was speaking as to analyze how it benefits as a healer. How lucky you feel with 10% or less is up to you. If you want to maximize dps you can calculate how beneficial your devastates contribute to your dps versus other relic options that instead increase your survivability or base mastery (something that is not affected by proc chance). Burglars with the Moors Quiet Knife set or those who still have baingrist might find it beneficial and can determine what is BIS for their settings. I even have devastate relics for my burglar so I actually do not agree with what you thought I was suggesting. Additionally, PVP is another thing since lucky devastates can define a quick kill, just as healers could potentially do many burst heals if the devastate relics do impact their critical heals. Then I agree devastate relics should be looked at if that is what you prefer. I base my response on what we know but it is still unclear if devastates do impact heals. If there is a thread or dev response that says otherwise then I will probably consider them for my healer.