We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads

Hunter's Bow of the Third Age (85)- DPS Legacy question

Got myself a bow of the third age that's level 85. I'm now sitting here wondering just how important the DPS legacy is. It's already a heck of a lot better, DPS wise (twice), than what my 60 SA I've been using til now has been.

In a way, it just does not seem worth the cost.

An 85 has 150.2 DPS (235-426 Damage) starting out and to max it out would cost 230 points according to the LIP calculator. Max, it will be 156.2 DPS, which I assume only adds maybe 10 damage to the weapon. In the long run, is that really worth 230 points, or would those be better spent on the other legacies such as Focus Critical, Quick Shot Slow or -Induction Power Cost?
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    Got myself a bow of the third age that's level 85. I'm now sitting here wondering just how important the DPS legacy is. It's already a heck of a lot better, DPS wise (twice), than what my 60 SA I've been using til now has been.

An 85 has 150.2 DPS (235-426 Damage) starting out and to max it out would cost 230 points according to the LIP calculator. Max, it will be 156.2 DPS, which I assume only adds maybe 10 damage to the weapon. In the long run, is that really worth 230 points, or would those be better spent on the other legacies such as Focus Critical, Quick Shot Slow or -Induction Power Cost?
    This is a great question & I am looking forward to the responces.

----

IMHO: I do not think it is worth it to invest in a small amount of DPS .. in all honesty .. how long are you going to be holding on to that weapon?

If you were going to spend .. do it with the other legacies .. at least 1 of those will carry over to your next bow. Thus it is an actual investment.

Wyllo

PS: I would love to see Hunter Bows get a DPS overhaul anyhow .. It makes me weep to see crit'd crafted bows have great percs & better DPS then what I carry as my primary weapon. We can only hope for the future.
    (sigh)
    When in Danger, When in Doubt, Run in Circles, Scream & Shout

I went ahead and skipped DPS for the time being, and maxed out Focus Bow Crit, Induction Bow Power Reduction and Quick Shot Slow. So far, I'm happy with it as it's already doing loads better than what I got accustomed to. I have quite a bunch of scrolls to reset points if I need to, but I don't think I'm going to just yet. I feel the -10% power usage on inductions, +25% crit rating on Focus, and 10% Quick Shot Slow outweighs the minor DPS gain.
    And Fourteen Other Alts

You used a lvl60 SA for.... 25 levels? Five levels would be more reasonable..

Also, I can't think of many circumstances in which I even consider taking -power over DPS on a hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by EmyrSelyf View Post
    You used a lvl60 SA for.... 25 levels? Five levels would be more reasonable..

Also, I can't think of many circumstances in which I even consider taking -power over DPS on a hunter.
    Yeah. Made it more fun and challenging. It did decent enough damage it wasn't useless.

And I just don't see the extra 10 DPS from 230 points mattering all that much in the long run. Those points can be better spent on something else, and power consumption is a good choice, for me at least.
    And Fourteen Other Alts

I'm just thinking that if your dps is twice as high, you might need half the power ;p

You may have used a lot of power before because you were taking too long to kill lvl 84 things with that lvl 60SA.

Still, I'm sure it built lots of character and great survival skills.

IMHO, if you aren't a tank or a healer then DPS is the number one overriding priority. All other stats are there to support DPS or survivability. An argument can be made that survivability is only there to support dps since dying dramatically lowers it.

The base damage and dps rating on your weapon is just that - a base to be used to more easily compare weapons. It is, in essence, your auto-attack damage. In addition to auto-attack, you have ranged damage skills as a hunter. Every one of these hunter ranged skills are also affected by the damage rating of your weapon. You are not just raising the dps from 150.2 to 156.2 - you are raising it by significantly more than that once you take into account the increased damage of your skills. How well you as a player use those skills will also affect your personal dps.

I personally like Critical legacies and Critical Magnitude legacies. I'm not a min/max player and I don't raid in this game but even as a primarily solo and small group player I believe the Hunter is primarily a dps class and any points spent on non-dps legacies (like quick shot slow and Induction power) are wasted points.

Quote Originally Posted by RavnDottir
    If you were going to spend .. do it with the other legacies .. at least 1 of those will carry over to your next bow. Thus it is an actual investment.
    This is only partially true. Yes, you can extract one legacy from any legendary item you have leveled to item level 30 or higher; however, points spent are not extracted nor is the legacy tier carried over. All legacies are extracted at tier two and are applied with no points. So no, there is no investment here that you would not get in any case. It is only a way to exchange a legacy you don't want for one you do want on a new weapon.

You can also check out the link in my signature, for the LI progression diagram.
    Maxing the DPS will add ~4% dps (select 2hand, then click the dots for 85 and 79 (79 r7 equals 85 r1) and see for yourself).
    There's very little that will come close to it, I would sooner skip the last steps in the crit multiplier (19.x%/22.x% vs. 25%) or the quick shot crit rating (4%/4.5% vs 5%) because that should turn out to be less than what the dps does.

HTH,
    SNy
    LotRO on Linux! http://SNy.name/LOTRO/
    Also home to the LI progression diagram.
    Find the new forums unreadable? Try my forum theme.

Okay, thank you for the replies. It was interesting seeing some other PoVs on the subject.
    And Fourteen Other Alts

I wouldn't skip the DPS legacy completely either, but yea the points on a 3rd age weapon are not as plentiful as on 2nd and 1st age ones, and you probably won't waste empowerment scrolls on it either, considering how easily 2nd age weapons are obtainable.

However, the higher the rank, the more expensive it becomes while the increase stays usually the same (there are exceptions), so for 3rd age LIs I try to get as many cheap ranks as possible from all important legacies, and only if I still have some left I actually start maxing the most powerful ones, to which the DPS certainly still counts.