We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New Minstrel and I need some Tips

I am not a game player but all of my friends are having a blast on LOTRO so I joined up. I am very impressed and find this game very sophisticated so I am doubly in need of some help.

I am a Level 16 Minstrel Elf and I tried reading many of the threads and other help aids in the wiki, too. I was wondering if there are any good sequences of buffs that make great attack and healing strikes for my group (or even when I solo).

If I understand correctly, I need to have 3 buffs to make an Anthem work. I assume three of the skills together make an Anthem? Are there specific combinations that are used together? It seems that the order activated matters, too.

I am worried about the Codas. It sounds like if I use them, I would lose some of my skills/buffs?

What does "stance" mean? I see there are Harmony and War-speech (I don't think I am high enough to use Harmony yet).

When in combat with my group, do I click on my team to help heal them? Some of the skills seem that I can make them fight better and heal ourselves at the same time.

Musical Instruments--are they used by themselves or with other buffs?

This is a start. I am sure I will have more questions after I practice more.

Our team wants to go out and practice on mobs/foes that aren't too deadly so we can get our plan of action formed and so I can practice my skills. So far we have just gone out and run amok but we have prevailed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider39 View Post
    I am not a game player but all of my friends are having a blast on LOTRO so I joined up. I am very impressed and find this game very sophisticated so I am doubly in need of some help.

I am a Level 16 Minstrel Elf and I tried reading many of the threads and other help aids in the wiki, too. I was wondering if there are any good sequences of buffs that make great attack and healing strikes for my group (or even when I solo).

If I understand correctly, I need to have 3 buffs to make an Anthem work. I assume three of the skills together make an Anthem? Are there specific combinations that are used together? It seems that the order activated matters, too.

I am worried about the Codas. It sounds like if I use them, I would lose some of my skills/buffs?

What does "stance" mean? I see there are Harmony and War-speech (I don't think I am high enough to use Harmony yet).

When in combat with my group, do I click on my team to help heal them? Some of the skills seem that I can make them fight better and heal ourselves at the same time.

Musical Instruments--are they used by themselves or with other buffs?

This is a start. I am sure I will have more questions after I practice more.

Our team wants to go out and practice on mobs/foes that aren't too deadly so we can get our plan of action formed and so I can practice my skills. So far we have just gone out and run amok but we have prevailed!
    Welcome
    I am not really a minstrel player.
    But have experience and I'm lucky to be playing on my Mincer at the moment on Arkenstone
    So I will give it a bash on the basics from my stand point (currently level 40)

You will get 3 Ballads (Minor, Major +1 other (cant remember name))
    You don't need to hit ALL of them but you do need 3 to activate an Anthem
    So you could do 3x Minor or 2x Minor +Major etc....
    This will open up the Anthems skills which give a boost to certain other skills dependant on which Anthem you use.
    They usually last about 20secs ( i think)

The Coda is a huge boost dependent on what stance you are in

When you use the Coda you don't actually lose any skill it just resets them.
    So you have to do another 3 Ballads

As for Stances

When Soloing it is best to go for War-Speech as this is the Damage Boost Stance and opens up some nice damage dealing skills

As for group you need to be ready to heal so stay out of War-Speech

Any Heals in War-Speech are given to you (the Caster) ONLY
    Even if you target your friend, he won't get the heal

Once out of War-Speech in a group, just select the player you wish to heal and he will get that heal
    There are also some Group Heal Skills you get at different levels, you don't even need to target with them skills.
    Just be in range of the group for them to work.

As for Instruments
    Each instrument has it's own benefit or speciality

I use Theorbo in a group as it reduces threat on me, so a mob is less likely to attack me when I heal somebody
    I use a Drum in solo play as it deals a lot of damage

Different players use different instruments

Some players will even use the Bagpipes, though I would prefer to fight the Mob than listen to somebody skinning a cat

Also running amok is a good way to start
    If you fail, you can go back and try and find out what you did wrong
    Best way to play

I was the same when I first started playing my Hunter ....

ooh look a bear - shoot
    ooh look a wolf - shoot
    ooh look an orc - shoot
    ooh look a goblin - shoot

Arrrgghh why am i being attacked by 4 mobs

That's when you realise..... Kill em before you shoot another one
    Last edited by Malindruel; Jun 17 2013 at 07:49 PM.
    HAF-X | ROG Crosshair V Formula Z | AMD FX 9370 4.4Ghz Black | 32Gb RAM | R9 290 4Gb (x2) | LG BD-RE | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 550/540 SSD | Win10 Pro | WEI - 8.5

I guess you read this already. It's a basic overview.
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Minstrel

A few bits have changed but Cloudie-wan's guide is still a great reference. http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...se-of-Isengard

It shows all skills and is still a most thorough description of the class. With pictures. Don't fret when thread gets technical-just bookmark it and look at the skills as you acquire them.

Some good tips here to get you started.

Post 3 in this thread and the following discussion sums up pretty much all you need to know about anthems and traits

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...Advice-please.

This one below has some basic healing and other tips

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...15#post6739815
    Last edited by Calta; Jun 18 2013 at 06:36 AM.
    [COLOR="#DDA0DD"][CENTER][B]Peralda[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - The Numenorean Guard - Landroval~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[B]Yvandriel[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - Extraordinary Adventurers' League - Laurelin[/CENTER][/COLOR][COLOR="#EE82EE"][CENTER]And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”[/CENTER][/COLOR]

Thumbs up

Malindruel and Calta: Thank you so much for replying to my thread. There are so many threads on this forum and although I have read some of them, I am still overwhelmed by the game mechanics and the wealth of information in this forum no matter what race and class you are in.

Calta: I have pulled up, printed, and scribbled notes all over the first link you provided already. I very much appreciate the other links and will read them over well and practice. I most likely would not have found these threads on my own very quickly and appreciate your finding them for me. The link from Cloudie-wan with pictures especially looks helpful. I am not Leveled up enough to use Harmony yet, so the healing thread will be last of my reads.

Now to read and then practice!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider39 View Post
    Malindruel and Calta: Thank you so much for replying to my thread. There are so many threads on this forum and although I have read some of them, I am still overwhelmed by the game mechanics and the wealth of information in this forum no matter what race and class you are in.

Calta: I have pulled up, printed, and scribbled notes all over the first link you provided already. I very much appreciate the other links and will read them over well and practice. I most likely would not have found these threads on my own very quickly and appreciate your finding them for me. The link from Cloudie-wan with pictures especially looks helpful. I am not Leveled up enough to use Harmony yet, so the healing thread will be last of my reads.

Now to read and then practice!
    Glad to help. The amount of information can be overwhelming but i think you'll find these most useful for now. I really recommend post 3 in that thread -it's a great summary.

Main tips: You can use any combination of skills in any stance with any combination of traits. As you level you'll vary these and as you read more about the subtleties you'll try them out. Practice is best way to learn.
    For now, these are your rules of thumb/rough guides-there will be exceptions and you will work out your own preferences.
    1. Red background coloured skills are damage skills. Use red traits for boosting damage stance. war speech is stance for damage. You can only heal yourself in warspeech. you do tactical damage. You will solo like this mostly.

2. Green background skills are healing-blue traits are good for boosting healing. null stance/melody is healing stance. You will likely group heal like this mostly as you get used to healing*.
    (*Although many minstrels heal extremely well in harmony and some argue it is better than melody because of the anthem buffs-there is a lot of flexibility in traits and stances at the moment. I'd try both stances and combinations as you get higher and do more groups. I vary.)

3. Yellow traits are for buffs and boosting harmony stance which is your hybrid heal fight and buff stance...

4. Focus on stats will/vitality/fate-eat food with these buffs when grouping, look for armour and jewellery with these. My new minstrel is doing fine in orange level quests in quest gear.

5. If you have any questions always ask here-the minstrel forum is a friendly place-we tend to be the helpfully inclined

Enjoy your minstrel, chase butterflies, and get lots of fancy hats*

* this is a great laugh- http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...t-you-to-cry..
    [COLOR="#DDA0DD"][CENTER][B]Peralda[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - The Numenorean Guard - Landroval~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[B]Yvandriel[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - Extraordinary Adventurers' League - Laurelin[/CENTER][/COLOR][COLOR="#EE82EE"][CENTER]And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”[/CENTER][/COLOR]

I recommend installing the LUA plugin MinstrelBuff; it will display your active ballads and anthems.

At lower levels you'll likely only have 1 anthem active at a time due to cool down, but I've found this plugin so very helpful in later levels when you can have multiple anthems running and you need to keep track of which ones are active and need a refresh.