We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Current Lootbox / Key Drops?

Anyone know what the current drop rate is? 100 orcs kills, 100 worm kills, etc.

Think it needs to be loosened up. No boxes or keys in 3 weeks on any characters.

Turbine hogging them for Lv 90 releases? ;-)~~~~~~

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    I'd say very rare. Like less than 1% rare. My main on Gladden has sold about eight keys in the last month for about 15G a piece. She's sold four Calenard-Bound Lootboxes as well for that price. Why would they make a TP purchaseable item drop more often?
    Tolella Hlothran ~ Minstrel ~ 115
    Crickhollow
    Officer ~ Phoenix Rising

I have 11 loot boxes now. What's a key look like?

An iron looking key with a yellow background.
    Crickhollow
    Officer ~ Phoenix Rising

My guess is that the boxes drop at about a 1% rate and the keys at 0.5% rate. I tend to get more boxes than keys, but I have and do get both. At the listed rates, you can go a very long time without seeing either and get back to back drops from time to time with a long time before the next. Key drops will be less than the boxes by design. You can buy keys in the store. You can't buy boxes there, or at least I have never seen them there.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    An iron looking key with a yellow background.
    I think what he was getting at was that he has had multiple lootbox drops but no keys....

As for the drop rate I don't know, I do know when they were first introduced, I had found more than 10 keys before I found my first box to use a key on. I've now found more boxes but also found more keys, so I haven't had to resort to buying one yet to open a box.
    Originally Posted by Damian6988
    That is not unlike drinking a pot of coffee and taking a Valium.
    "I want to stay up and get more work done, but I don't want to remember any of it."

Quote Originally Posted by Rainith View Post
    I think what he was getting at was that he has had multiple lootbox drops but no keys....
    Oh, maybe. I took it as him asking so he doesn't accidentally sell them.
    Crickhollow
    Officer ~ Phoenix Rising

So far I have had 3 keys drop in a bit over a year. Got two with tokens during the last treasure hunt. I run 7 characters regularly; not multiboxing, each gets a turn. It's probably been 5-6 months since I've seen a key.
    Thing is aside of a fancy cloak and a token that bumper up my tasks limit. I've never gotten anything from a loot box worth keeping.

A short while ao we had 25 keys, but then we started finding boxes, now it's 11. But still ... last week I found 2 keys.

I find an average of maybe 2 - 3 lootboxes and 1 key per week on my main, and I find keys (but almost 0 boxes) on my other toons, but much less frecuently.

When Wildermore first came out my main was averaging about 1 box every other day, with a key rate of about 1 per every 3 boxes (mostly in Balewood).
    I got bored with Wildermore after a couple of weeks and leveled an alt, who currently has 9 keys in his inventory but has yet to see a box.

Unfortunately lootboxes/sturdy keys are RNG based. This means that some of us will get lootboxes and sturdy keys all the time, and some of us almost never do. This means that probabaly the RNG is also based on account id / character id, but unfortunately Turbine has no clue how to implement a decent agorithm.
    There have been several topics on this in the past.

I imagine that the box rate might be slightly higher than the key rate because

a) You can buy keys from the store

b) Some boxes actually drop more keys
    Must remember to engage brain before using keyboard

Come to think of it, i haven't had a loot box or a key drop to me in about three weeks, prior to that i was getting them drop like candy for about two months, must have hit a dry spell.

i only get keys, think of selling them... the drops from the riddermark boxes is bad anyways...
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

I hadn't seen either a box or a key in probably 6 months. Then, for the last 4 days, I've been grinding deeds/rep in Angmar and have picked up 6-7 boxes and one key. Of course, the grinding meant killing 300+ each of the orcs and angmarim. Not too high a ratio, but more than I had gotten in regular play!
    Officer and elder member of the Claws of Abigail kin.

None.

And again, I have been doing nothing but surfing AH, staring at kin chat waiting for someone to say something, and make guild symbols recently.

Back when I wasn't at level cap, however... let me think.
    I don't recall any when I did several virtue deeds. In fact, I think I only got 1 key and 0 lootboxes in the past month. Maybe it's because I opened 6 lootboxes in a roll, got a Tome of Agility VIII in the end, and the RNG proc chance dropped back to 0.00000001%.
    Mildford - R9 Hunter • Support - R7 LM
    The Storm Crusaders (RIP) • Gladden

I have noticed no recent changes to my key and lootbox droprate.
    I typically pick up more keys than loot boxes... I have a stack of 20 sitting in my vault. But yesterday while working on virtues I picked up three boxes. One of them contained a Universal Toolkit and a Crystal of Remembrance! Aside from a relatively high key droprate, I don't often have that kind of luck with the RNG.. so I was stunned, to say the very least. And that was from a level 50 lootbox, incidentally.
    .......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.

Wink

Well, I'm not picking up anything going solo on any alts. I mean, I've grinded deeds to the max on alts, traits, etc. Nothing.

Then last night I grouped up with my husband to do a quest in Dol Dinen & a key drops.

I do like the weapons they drop for lv 10 - 40, those are pretty good & can't get them anywhere else.

I think I'd add first ages to the higher level lootboxes / symbols.

I still think the rate needs to be loosened up. But it seems folks on here are getting them. Wonder why I'm not?

Turbine must hate me because I'm a Lifetime member.....though I've spent a good amount of $$ in their store.

If you farm a lot, you get tons of lootboxes.
    I opened about 250 lootboxes and I have still 70 to be opened, because the rate for keys is about 3/4 lower than for lootboxes (I farm HL recipes, around 1/10000 mobs)

Quote Originally Posted by Castorix View Post
    If you farm a lot, you get tons of lootboxes.
    I opened about 250 lootboxes and I have still 70 to be opened, because the rate for keys is about 3/4 lower than for lootboxes (I farm HL recipes, around 1/10000 mobs)
    That's what I was doing, not obsessively, but I did spend a couple of hours a day in Balewood just after Wildermore came out trying to get a recipe drop. I got over 20 boxes in 3 weeks, no HL scrolls though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie4486 View Post
    I think I'd add first ages to the higher level lootboxes / symbols.
    But I did get a FA symbol from a lvl80 box.

Found keys only on two of my characters (one at cap and one I hardly play) ... The funny thing is that both are female, my male toons never had any luck

Quote Originally Posted by Eliahnus View Post
    Unfortunately lootboxes/sturdy keys are RNG based. This means that some of us will get lootboxes and sturdy keys all the time, and some of us almost never do. This means that probabaly the RNG is also based on account id / character id, but unfortunately Turbine has no clue how to implement a decent agorithm.
    There have been several topics on this in the past.
    Not necessarily so. First of all, the drop rates are low. Second, at least for the Windows client, I am fairly certain that they use System.Random() for the game's pseudo-random number generator. It is possible they use the cryptographic one that is also in the framework, which the Visual C++ 2005/2008/2010/2012 runtime redistributable all share, built in (so no need to write one yourself, unless you want one like the Mersenne Twister). The System.Random() one uses the system clock as the seed. In this case, it will be the server's system clock. There is no need to bring in userIDs into it. See a good stats book for the binomial distribution and Bernoulli Trials (which is the statistical model in use here).

A better question to ask is if the servers are busy enough to have the numbers generated run through the algorithm's cycle length (in this case, for System.Random() that'll be Microsoft's algorithm).
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    Not necessarily so. First of all, the drop rates are low. Second, at least for the Windows client, I am fairly certain that they use System.Random() for the game's pseudo-random number generator.
    It is written in C++.
    Then :
    srand(time(NULL));
    followed by
    rand() % [value]

which is the usual code for RNG
    Last edited by Castorix; Jun 19 2013 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castorix View Post
    It is written in C++.
    Then :
    srand(time(NULL));
    followed by
    rand() % [value]

which is the usual code for RNG
    Isn't rand() just the C++ way of calling System.Random() ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast