We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

what is the music scene like on the different servers (newbie question)?

I’m new to LOTRO, but I’m quite interested in arranging and possibly composing music to be played in game. One thing I’ve been thinking about is on what server to direct my efforts, so I have two-part question:

(1) On what server are people doing the most organized composing/arranging/testing? It seems from scanning the forums that this might be the Eriador Music Society (Elendilmir and Landroval), and Green Hill Music Society (Landroval), but I’m sure I’m missing some people…

(2) Is there an idea that some song styles or arrangements are not appropriate to be performed on the role-playing servers (Landroval, Laurelin)? For example, one could arrange “Stairway to Heaven” so that it would or would not sound appropriate for an Elven Banquet. I’m really interested in the comfort level of people involved in the music scene, not just Turbine’s official policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustinferth View Post
    I’m new to LOTRO, but I’m quite interested in arranging and possibly composing music to be played in game. One thing I’ve been thinking about is on what server to direct my efforts, so I have two-part question:

(1) On what server are people doing the most organized composing/arranging/testing? It seems from scanning the forums that this might be the Eriador Music Society (Elendilmir and Landroval), and Green Hill Music Society (Landroval), but I’m sure I’m missing some people…

(2) Is there an idea that some song styles or arrangements are not appropriate to be performed on the role-playing servers (Landroval, Laurelin)? For example, one could arrange “Stairway to Heaven” so that it would or would not sound appropriate for an Elven Banquet. I’m really interested in the comfort level of people involved in the music scene, not just Turbine’s official policy.
    To answer your questions:

1.) There are musical bands active on several servers. Being based on Laurelin, I'm most familiar with the ones there (The Shades, The Chosen Few, The Songburrow Strollers, Andunie....to name but a few) but then Landroval is the home to The Lonely Mountain Band, who organise the annual, multi-band, in-game festival known as 'Weatherstock', which is coming up on 20 July (check out the PLAYER EVENTS section for news about that). That would probably be the best place for you to see quite a few of the various in-game bands. The bands featured this year come from the Landroval, Laurelin, Brandywine, Vanyar, Crickhollow, Belegaer, Dwarrowdelf and Silverlode servers, but there are bands on most servers.

2.) As far as playing music goes, people are pretty reasonable regarding the type of music so long as the performer uses their common sense, respects the other players and doesn't do the usual rude things (e.g. playing your music right next to where someone else is already playing, playing real world music in the middle of a roleplaying group without asking them, etc). I could say that music that complement the atmosphere of the game are you safest bet, but then that is down to the interpretation of the individual player. I've seen people who like to play LOTRO to a soundtrack of Slipknot (which, personally, makes me want to stab myself in both ears) but to each their own. My advice is just to be sympathetic to the lore of the game and the sort of music that could be expected within the world of Middle Earth and you should be ok.

....Oh....and as for Stairway to Heaven...? Well , if you've seen Wayne's World, you know what the rule is regarding that tune (on ANY server)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000000007fe/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Musician, Orator and Composer in The Shades

Probably the most active server for music is Landroval. There's concerts nearly every night of the week in The Shire, and I'm sure there are some concerts in Bree and probably other places.

If you're free at 11pm EST on Wednesday evening or 10:30pm EST on Thursday, come check out the EMS show in Bree on Elendilmir / Michel Delving on Landroval (respectively.) We play a lot of music that is transcribed or even composed by our members, and we follow up with an Open Mic session where anybody can do solos/duets/trios/pretty much whatever.

Of course, there are a TON of different music groups there that will be happy to help you out. Hit me up on Thearo at our Landy show, and I can introduce you to a few different representatives of various groups.

Both Landroval and Laurelin are servers with awesome music scenes, both boasting numerous musical groups and events. Landroval, I think, tends to have more regular band concerts. Laurelin has more varied types of events that feature music, some of them very ambitious. My musical group, Andunie, is a group of Elf musicians that plays on both Landroval and Laurelin. We have some skilled composers of original music as well as those who transcribe existing music into abc form. (I'm not a composer myself, but I've been told my transcriptions are quite good.) I may be biased, but I think we're easily one of the most musically versatile groups.

Landroval is not an official RP server so technically anything goes there. I have in the past been leader of a group that performed all manner of modern music, some more fitting to the environment, some wildly inappropriate by most RPers' standards, to general praise and enthusiasm from the Landroval community. Landroval is a very accepting group. I'm not really sure how people feel about such things on Laurelin. Though from the response Andunie has received from playing certain songs, I get the feeling that if you can somehow connect the song to the lore (through lyrics or description, etc.) or create a transcription that is not egregiously modern, they're fairly accepting as well. There is no official policy about what should or should not be played with the music system, as far as I know.
    [URL="https://sarahmccabemythopoet.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]Falling Toward Mythopoesis[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] My personal blog.

[URL="https://lotromusic.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#008080]LOTRO Music[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] ABCs, guides and resources for the compleat LOTRO musician.

Feel free to check out the Lonely Mountain Band on Landroval - http://lonelymountainband.guildlaunch.com/

We have three active regular bands and a number of people who sometimes multi-box their own or play with friends and a variety of groups. Our works range from classical to off-the-wall and from hand-composed to midi-conversion. We've also done some music videos with real-life singing and instruments, just for fun, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnBaSx0b3Tc

Y
    ou'll find varying levels of comfort with rp-appropriate and non-appropriate arrangements across both servers, I imagine. Without a solid presence in Laurelin, I can only speak of what I know from Landroval - there is a niche groups for just about everything!
    Bards, Beers, & Longbeards!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/bardsbeerslongbeards[/URL]

1. There are many bands on both of the servers doing regular concerts and are quite musicminded. I have met awesome musicans in different bands on both servers.
    I know there are regular events on Landroval with concerts each week. But on Laurelin you also have qute a few weekly race-based RP-events where there are music/bands performing. (Halls of fire events, Green Dragon events).

Regards to bands: I think we are blessed with a good varity of bands. All from pure elven bands doing intricate compositions and classical arrangement - to hobbit bands doing light hearted Yigs/Bluegrass songs, with clever/funny lyrics. You also have composers doing originals (I know a few, including my own band The Shades). But you have also bands doing songs from other artists using their own great transcriptions. Is all about taste. Everyone puts a great deal of effort into their songs.
    Which brings me to your next question;

2. This will be my personal opinion: When I rp I like to hear music that does not give me references to Real World. I like music that either is originals or music that is not that well-knowned. On concerts I am more forgiving, then I am there for the music, and if I hear a very good transcribed song from other artist I get thrilled. I would have tried avoid Monster-hits that we have heard so many times in RL. I like to think I am in a concert in Middle Earth, not on wembley Stadion Also try think about what instruments you deal with ingame too. Not every song suits the instruments. Just because Metallica's Enter Sandman sound impressive in RL, doesnt mean it sounds just as impressive with Lute and harp.
    When it comes to songs/transcribed songs: I prefer simplicity, after all deal with a quite stripped music system that don't contain all the features that I would like to make a good arrangement.

But again is all about taste, and people might disagree with me, and get drawn to different music. A good advice is to join Weatherstock 20 july. Then you will hear different bands from both servers
    Last edited by Achy; Jun 18 2013 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks to all who have kindly replied so far with suggestions, opinions and offers to check out their groups!

I think I mostly understand how people play in bands (i.e., playing synced ABCs), but I'm not familiar with the term "multi-box" that Summer_Beor used -- could someone explain that?

Thanks to all who have kindly replied so far with suggestions, opinions and offers to check out their groups!

I think I mostly understand how people play in bands (i.e., playing synced ABCs), but I'm not familiar with the term "multi-box" that Summer_Beor used -- could someone explain that?
    He's referring to when someone runs multiple game clients in order to play with multiple characters at the same time. It's one way to form or supplement a band.
    [URL="https://sarahmccabemythopoet.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]Falling Toward Mythopoesis[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] My personal blog.

[URL="https://lotromusic.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#008080]LOTRO Music[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] ABCs, guides and resources for the compleat LOTRO musician.

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnuala View Post
    He's referring to when someone runs multiple game clients in order to play with multiple characters at the same time. It's one way to form or supplement a band.
    To expand upon this, we'll use this with additional free accounts to have alternates in case our regular members don't show up, or to allow us to perform pieces with more instrument requirements - we have 8, 9, and even 10 or 11 piece arrangements that can rarely be done without the use of multiboxed alts.

I'm familiar with only the Landroval and Laurelin servers.

Landroval has a lot of great bands, and is the host of the annual Weatherstock music festival. The Lonely Mountain Band is one of my favorites there. Floradine does an amazing job, and has even done some work with Laurelin's bands. Floradine even did vocals for the Stroller's Waltz and the Grand Biscuit Song for the Songburrow Strollers, and sang a duet with Amorey! Links below.

Laurelin is more role-play oriented server, so the bands there are a bit more traditional than you'll find on other servers. The Songburrow Strollers play traditional folksy tunes, many with hobbit-related lyrics. Some of the songs we play have become quite (in)famous. The Grand Good Song, Home Sweet Home and of course the Bywater Bouncing Song. Amorey and Hobbit Heart do musicals, the next one being on September 22nd!

http://lonelymountainband.guildlaunc....php?t=9076965

https://soundcloud.com/the-strongfoo...raise-the-life
    Sevelda Quickkettle
    The Songburrow Strollers, Laurelin

Sevelda, when you refer to "vocals" and "singing a duet" -- this that in-game? The band and audience would all have to be in the same fellowship, or all on a 3rd-party chat server for that to happen, wouldn't it?

Sevelda, when you refer to "vocals" and "singing a duet" -- this that in-game? The band and audience would all have to be in the same fellowship, or all on a 3rd-party chat server for that to happen, wouldn't it?
    What He/She(?) is referring to is use of the mod Lyrical. It allows you to "sing" lyrics into the /say chat with just the press of a mouse button.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000029110f/signature.png]Orladan[/charsig]