We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I no longer know how to play this class

I'm lost.

Hunter was decent damage and great crits.

I see people on hunter spamming improved fleetness every few seconds but they appear to deal the same damage as I do. They also spam some other kind of buff at short intervals, it looks confusing.

I barely managed to play my hunter to cap but I have little experience with fellowships on it. This means it has no very good items and it has not been the first choice for any raid or fellow for two or three years.

Actually, I can't remember if anyone ever asked for a hunter past two years.

Anyway - I just can't get to grips with the new skills. They seem to deal little damage or they seem very slow or they appear to be some sort of buffs that makes the character skip a damage-dealing skill.

Nobody asks for a Hunter to group with. They ask for DPS and then Hunters and Champs answer.

A lot of the "New" Skills are just improved versions of older skills

Put in just to make us hunters spend more of our hard earned silver

And there is very little call to use the rest

I have never used Fleetness, never had a cause for it
    In fact there are quite a few of the older skills I have never used except if there was a deed for it

Also there is no real need to have top gear to join a fellowship.
    If anybody tells you otherwise they are lying

With the top gear Raiders it's a Catch-22 situation

They wont let you join because you haven't got X piece of gear
    You can't get X piece of gear because it's in the instance they are doing
    HAF-X | ROG Crosshair V Formula Z | AMD FX 9370 4.4Ghz Black | 32Gb RAM | R9 290 4Gb (x2) | LG BD-RE | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 550/540 SSD | Win10 Pro | WEI - 8.5

Depends

It depends upon how you play. I play alone a lot. After quite a bit of trial and error I play in a style that has (at least once a month or so) people sending PMs to the point in which I have blocked several of them (they have gotten nasty). I focus on vitality first then agility. I also use traps quite a bit (both from Rain of Arrows and created traps) and fear effects (a bard arrow that causes foes to run and a "yell" that scares creatures) and heal while they are gone. I have gotten to level 85 with her and have fun doing it. I have good armor, jewelry - the best my characters can make.

I have gone on raids with her very successfully (and have been asked back). The extra vitality keeps me alive more than focusing on pure agility. And I love hunter porting.

Quote Originally Posted by patchinko View Post
    ...they seem very slow or they appear to be some sort of buffs that makes the character skip a damage-dealing skill.
    I'm mainly traited blue and use improved fleetness and needful haste constantly to speed up inductions.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000017697b/01008/signature.png]Silvathorn[/charsig]

My six month to yearly visit back here to see if anything has changed for the better for hunters. Sadly not. But a few words for the OP.

I wish you would have seen me two or three years ago, I quit the game shortly after RoI release. After listening to the dev of that day and the public relations guy, I tried to tell everyone this but only half listened, some rerolled and some tormented themselves with staying. Very few quit with me.

I'll refresh what happened, and what I see each time I revisit these forums on a six month to yearly visit.

They changed the entire dynamic of the way the game was after RoI. From a game where hunters had top single target dps, and everyone who rolled a hunter knew their place in the fellowship was full single target dps, that was their main role. Champions had a decent single target dps, but had some amazing AoE dps. They knew their role in a fellowship and it was their main role. Every party used to have both of these for every run, because of the need of aoe and single target dps for every dungeon. Loremasters had their role, it was a very important role, it was keeping power to the dps and also to crowd control everything because if they did not, fellowships would die fast, they had dps but was not even close to hunters or champions. But they knew their role and when they rolled their character they knew what their role was, and every fellowship needed a Loremaster because of many needed crowd control situations. Burglars also were a unique role, their roll was starting fellowship manuvers, something every single fellowship knows, is a powerful tool that can shift the entire balance of every fight, they did not have huge dps, but if the fellowship needed huge dps their fellowship move would provide that with no problems asked. When you rolled a burg, you knew what your main role was in a fellowship, and it was a needed piece of the fellowship puzzle 100% of the time. Now I could go on with all the other classes but I think I have made my point about how each class pre-RoI had their roles and main roles.

After RoI, they uncapped every stat, which allowed damage modifiers for every class be buffed up outside the old roles they played pre-ROI, making them all have equal damage as the hunter. Thus the dev for RoI said, hunters really did not need any adjusting. Well he was wrong. What had actually happened was, burgs now got top single target dps while keeping fellowship manuvers, loremasters got top single target dps while keeping their amazing crowd control, champions got top single target dps while keeping their top AoE dps and even got an added bonus of tanking in raids, and what did hunters get? They got to keep their top single target dps, and lost their power restoration on legendary traits, unfinished stances, and no other main role.

The dev was right, the hunter dint need much changing, but it got nothing added either, and continued to be power nerfed. HP that cant even tank anywhere close to a champion and sadly to say, devs who ignored everyone after that from day one. Even statements that said they looked at the hunter and everythings fine here folks, nothing to see. A public relations guy who was an attack dog on anyone who tried to implement change in the media and so I responded the only way I could, even being as addiced to the game as I was back then (two kin houses on two characters, my main house, thousands of gold I never knew what to do with, every single craft maxed out), was to then take all the knowledge of the hunter, which was all the media interviews, all the data on hunter and every other class and then Ctrl + Alt + Delete, because it wouldn't be fixed until either all these people had been fired or a new dev who knew the hunter could be put in, which I knew would be years.

Sure I could have rerolled, but my first and true love since launch of the game was hunter. I know there are a lot of hunters right now who probably feel trapped, but like quitting smoking, you reach a point where you no longer need the fix, because you find other better things to fill your time with. Good luck with you OP, and I want to welcome you to my world. It might not be your thing, but STEAM has a great amount of single player games you might have missed out on, or another MMO, I personally recommend EVE and Skyrim. Till next year when I come back to see if its changed, take care, and reroll if you can enjoy not playing a hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfers View Post
    Very much this - a big pile of +rep headed your way (what little I can add anyway)

I'm lost.

And still is.

I see people on hunter spamming improved fleetness every few seconds but they appear to deal the same damage as I do. They also spam some other kind of buff at short intervals, it looks confusing.
    Improved Fleetness has a 30-second duration and cooldown. The other buff, I assume it's Needful Haste, which makes you attack faster. That or Hunter's Art, which kinda sucks.
    On Imp. Fleetness/5 blue, the thing is you don't do a lot of big hits, instead you rely on quicker, but (relatively) less-damaging shots. You get focus quicker thanks to quicker inductions and Imp. Fleetness, and therefore many (blue-line) Hunters usually end up spamming PS. With the -1 focus cost to PS/Blood Arrow buff to Fleetness with the Erebor Huntsman 2-set bonus, you can find many Hunters traited blue using that armour.

I barely managed to play my hunter to cap but I have little experience with fellowships on it. This means it has no very good items and it has not been the first choice for any raid or fellow for two or three years.
    To be honest, in a group, one DPS'er with sub-par gear won't really effect the instance a lot (based on my countless RoF t2 runs on my Hunter back when 75 was level cap, with yellow quest gear from GR, jewellery from volume 3 epics, etc).

They don't specify for Hunters, they just ask for DPS, at this time when everybody farms instances for a living. I see some runs specifying for Champions, however, for their AoE DPS (and much to the dismay of a Hunter in my kin).

Anyway - I just can't get to grips with the new skills. They seem to deal little damage or they seem very slow or they appear to be some sort of buffs that makes the character skip a damage-dealing skill.
    New skills... At least for RoR, one is for AoE/gaining focus (Imp. Split Shot, greatly improved from the regular version and greatly enhanced by max AoE targets legacy), one reduces threat (Imp. Distracting Shot, daze + aggro dump, so you can use it either only for CC or for reducing threat, which it doesn't do very well for the latter), and the last one is for survival (CotH, a mix of random effects; can be used offensively by dazing everyone nearby though). Besides, people usually just spam PS, that's all the damage you need.
    On the buff, it sounds like Hunter's Art, costing 1 focus to buff yourself based on your current stance (+5% ranged damage/+finesse/+icpr for Strength/Precision/Endurance stance respectively). If I have 1 focus left, I'll click PS and most of the time a second focus comes and PS fires - else I'd just use QS, then PS. Not going to bother with Hunter's Art.
    Play your Hunter, mess with traitlines and see which playstyle suits you.
    [COLOR="#669966"][center][size=1]Mildford - R9 Hunter • Support - R7 LM
    The Storm Crusaders • Gladden[/size][/center][/COLOR]

My six month to yearly visit back here to see if anything has changed for the better for hunters. Sadly not. But a few words for the OP.

I wish you would have seen me two or three years ago, I quit the game shortly after RoI release. After listening to the dev of that day and the public relations guy, I tried to tell everyone this but only half listened, some rerolled and some tormented themselves with staying. Very few quit with me.

I'll refresh what happened, and what I see each time I revisit these forums on a six month to yearly visit.

They changed the entire dynamic of the way the game was after RoI. From a game where hunters had top single target dps, and everyone who rolled a hunter knew their place in the fellowship was full single target dps, that was their main role. Champions had a decent single target dps, but had some amazing AoE dps. They knew their role in a fellowship and it was their main role. Every party used to have both of these for every run, because of the need of aoe and single target dps for every dungeon. Loremasters had their role, it was a very important role, it was keeping power to the dps and also to crowd control everything because if they did not, fellowships would die fast, they had dps but was not even close to hunters or champions. But they knew their role and when they rolled their character they knew what their role was, and every fellowship needed a Loremaster because of many needed crowd control situations. Burglars also were a unique role, their roll was starting fellowship manuvers, something every single fellowship knows, is a powerful tool that can shift the entire balance of every fight, they did not have huge dps, but if the fellowship needed huge dps their fellowship move would provide that with no problems asked. When you rolled a burg, you knew what your main role was in a fellowship, and it was a needed piece of the fellowship puzzle 100% of the time. Now I could go on with all the other classes but I think I have made my point about how each class pre-RoI had their roles and main roles.

After RoI, they uncapped every stat, which allowed damage modifiers for every class be buffed up outside the old roles they played pre-ROI, making them all have equal damage as the hunter. Thus the dev for RoI said, hunters really did not need any adjusting. Well he was wrong. What had actually happened was, burgs now got top single target dps while keeping fellowship manuvers, loremasters got top single target dps while keeping their amazing crowd control, champions got top single target dps while keeping their top AoE dps and even got an added bonus of tanking in raids, and what did hunters get? They got to keep their top single target dps, and lost their power restoration on legendary traits, unfinished stances, and no other main role.

The dev was right, the hunter dint need much changing, but it got nothing added either, and continued to be power nerfed. HP that cant even tank anywhere close to a champion and sadly to say, devs who ignored everyone after that from day one. Even statements that said they looked at the hunter and everythings fine here folks, nothing to see. A public relations guy who was an attack dog on anyone who tried to implement change in the media and so I responded the only way I could, even being as addiced to the game as I was back then (two kin houses on two characters, my main house, thousands of gold I never knew what to do with, every single craft maxed out), was to then take all the knowledge of the hunter, which was all the media interviews, all the data on hunter and every other class and then Ctrl + Alt + Delete, because it wouldn't be fixed until either all these people had been fired or a new dev who knew the hunter could be put in, which I knew would be years.

Sure I could have rerolled, but my first and true love since launch of the game was hunter. I know there are a lot of hunters right now who probably feel trapped, but like quitting smoking, you reach a point where you no longer need the fix, because you find other better things to fill your time with. Good luck with you OP, and I want to welcome you to my world. It might not be your thing, but STEAM has a great amount of single player games you might have missed out on, or another MMO, I personally recommend EVE and Skyrim. Till next year when I come back to see if its changed, take care, and reroll if you can enjoy not playing a hunter.
    +Rep
    This post explains my LOTRO whole experience and explains why i have left LOTRO. There are other reasons why i left but my hunter being neglected update after update after update with no care from devs really ticked me off (and still does). Some games i suggest are Rift (because it went like 95% free and is one of the best f2p models ive ever seen), Skyrim, Vindictus, Path of Exile, SWTOR, and many other top ranking games and MMO's.
    The end of an age has come and the wheel of time turns on. We will meet again when the wheel allows it.

I'm lost.
    How about trying to see this as a chance of customization?

Actually, I can't remember if anyone ever asked for a hunter past two years
    For most part, outside raids that would require a good class setup, no class is named except Captains. You dont ask specifically for a mini since a rk can do as good as them. You dont ask for a champ since a LM can fill its role with AOE dps. Guard-warden. Hunter-rk-champ.
    So i suggest you dont think much of it.
    Most 3,6 man are faceroll anyway.
    [CENTER][URL="http://postimage.org/"][IMG]http://s5.postimg.org/oiz5srzbr/download_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[COLOR=#ffffff][I][B]Only fools and dead men never change their mind[/B][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

I'm lost.

No big deal really. Just get good gear, buff up with imp. fleetness and maybe burn hot and needful haste also, focus, run towards target, use left hand(or right hand if you hit skills with mouse) to spam the penetrating shots button and hold a cup of coffee in your other hand. If you run out of focus, use a focus potion or IC.
    Anyone can play hunter now and I'm starting to get really bored of the whole class as it is now. It's as advanced as a r0 freaver but does descent single target dps. Unfortunatly hunters can't do much other then dps and all classes can do dps now. IPS spam made me giggle in the beginning but now..
    [center][IMG]http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t393/grapsn/1013265_608478239173945_469554244_n_zpsc9ae7993.jpg[/IMG] [/center]

Hear me bark!

LOL so your sad that hunters cant one shot creeps anymore with BH+HS?? sounds like you never knew how to play the class in the first place. They gave other classes damage, but they gave us fleetness and beautiful blueline traits, this makes us durable and gives hunters an opportunity to kite and deal damage. I agree some more survivability would be much appreciated but RoR rings are great with heals plus IHR and Crit Def also id recommend getting mender jewls set for the bubble swap during combat, I believe that's achievable in moors? a nice 3.6k bubble is GREAT to have in your bag every 20 mins(Esp when sparring creeps at GTA) and you still get to hang on to the rest of your hunter and agility gear. In turn I think Turbine has made huntering more of a challenge, but also more enjoyable of a class to play, it just takes some time and gear! Hunter morale bubble/ AOE daze, Imp Scouring blow?! imp quick shot(extra focus) and Low Cut 50 percent bleed chance?! just some awesome usefull stuff Turbines been adding to our class, in my opinion hunters can even be OP with 2 erebor and 4 moors pieces(reducing focus cost to spam PS), but for most that evens out the gap they feel their class has had. I started when RoI came out but have plenty of knowledge of what the class was like, Id take a kiting self healing skilled hunter over a DPS crazy HS one shooter as my char any day.

Some changes were good, some just never happened. I still love my hunter and I have accomplished deeds I am proud of.
    No, I am not some mighty mix-max no-lifer, I am just a random hunter, but I have done my fair share of DPSing in every raid and instance this game has to offer. I have tanked the grim in Smaug T2, the troll-boss in Foundry T2 (back in the 75-days) and 2-manned IP t2c with a LM and I remember doing Necromancer's Gate with 12 hunters raid back at 75 when we didnt have bubbles yet ... nothing too fancy maybe, but still those are my little victories.

All this and much more those who left the game has missed becouse they were affraid that they wont be simply the best DPS class and will have to compete for a place in the group.

Just play the game and learn your class, it's still a great one.
    I hunt. I kill.

Warden by destiny, Hunter in the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyKOko View Post
    Some changes were good, some just never happened. I still love my hunter and I have accomplished deeds I am proud of.
    Yup. The 6-hunter Sambrog run on Snowbourn (Tigven, Aedfrith, Skaredykat, Neldowar, Nudrolin and can't remember the 6th) was hilarious and insanely fast.
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by sheythemoose View Post
    LOL so your sad that hunters cant one shot creeps anymore with BH+HS?? sounds like you never knew how to play the class in the first place. They gave other classes damage, but they gave us fleetness and beautiful blueline traits, this makes us durable and gives hunters an opportunity to kite and deal damage. I agree some more survivability would be much appreciated but RoR rings are great with heals plus IHR and Crit Def also id recommend getting mender jewls set for the bubble swap during combat, I believe that's achievable in moors? a nice 3.6k bubble is GREAT to have in your bag every 20 mins(Esp when sparring creeps at GTA) and you still get to hang on to the rest of your hunter and agility gear. In turn I think Turbine has made huntering more of a challenge, but also more enjoyable of a class to play, it just takes some time and gear! Hunter morale bubble/ AOE daze, Imp Scouring blow?! imp quick shot(extra focus) and Low Cut 50 percent bleed chance?! just some awesome usefull stuff Turbines been adding to our class, in my opinion hunters can even be OP with 2 erebor and 4 moors pieces(reducing focus cost to spam PS), but for most that evens out the gap they feel their class has had. I started when RoI came out but have plenty of knowledge of what the class was like, Id take a kiting self healing skilled hunter over a DPS crazy HS one shooter as my char any day.

My view of a hunter isn't a ballarina-ninja or Robin Hood in tights. Ever been deer hunting? You wait so long you freeze to death and then ka-bam! You club your seal and go on your way. Granted sometimes you miss and the deer gets away and sometimes you fall out of the tree, but you don't close in for the kill with a pen knife and try to paper-cut it to death.

For reference:
    http://www.google.com/images?q=balla...Q&ved=0CCUQsAQ
    Last edited by EmyrSelyf; Jul 16 2013 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sheythemoose View Post
    If you know so much why aren't you high ranked yet? You know so much yet every time I would see you out in the moors you'd get facerolled (can't say about recently because I haven't been online).
    [Jonp - Rank 11 Hunter] [Garaluk - Rank 9 Reaver]

Quote Originally Posted by MightyKOko View Post
    2-manned IP t2c with a LM

This.
    not sure if anyone else has tried, but its possible to solo Peak t2c a hunter. Class is nowhere near broken. Its player error.

@shey the reason hunters were "damage crazy" was because there was no aud back then. When you could swift bow a creep for 8k combos followed by 4k ps spams. Back when hs could 1 shot. Wasnt just HS that was damage crzy. It was literally "best defence is a good offence". Kite?no, you just killed them faster with overpowering outgoing damage.
    . Btw, faron was available at 75. Erebor H sets is based on faron.Youalways had fleet ps spam
    Last edited by Patriotp3a; Jul 20 2013 at 08:18 AM.
    Fellowship Hadacar: I now have a mental image of a little pea with a NE Patriot's logo painted on it.
    From Dwarrowdelf to Arkenstone | Asylum | No-QQ