We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The duties of Eowyn

Just re-reading RotK, and I came across the section where Eowyn rides with the Rohirrim as Dernhelm. Now, I never thought about it before now, but how has she been able to leave the refugees behind? The old, sick an injured in Dunharrow? Who was left behind to govern them? And what is the "understanding" between her and Elfhelm? Surely he would feel duty-bound to inform his King that his niece had disobeyed his orders and followed him into battle?
    Curiosity killed the cat....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240000002126b0/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

In reality Eowyn was appointed as no more than a figurehead, a representative of the royal family if you will, to create a semblance of normalcy when the full muster along with the king and the only heir apparent (Eowyn was not eligible according to male primogeniture) were leaving the kingdom.
    In practice the land was governed by the current local lords in Eastfold and Westfold and the whatever representative of the King's household left in Edoras for the King's lands. Military command was left to Erkenbrand (also the Lord of Westfold). Any global matters would be decided by the Council of the crown in the absence of the king and any heirs.
    So Eowyn's absence hardly affected day-to-day operations.

As to the understanding with Elfhelm, it concerned his quiet acceptance of a stranger attaching 'himself' to his command. Whether Elfhelm in fact realized Dernhelm's identity is left ambiguous, but even if he did he would be sympathetic as a fellow warrior. Also Elfhelm would have fully realized that a woman who managed to attach herself to the marching army once wouldn't be deterred from repeating the feat once again even if he did report her.
    Last edited by Egorvlad; Jun 16 2013 at 08:17 PM.

I don't think I'd like to be in Elfhelm's shoes if Theoden had lived and Eowyn had died though.

Thank you for clearing that up! I always like to get answers so quickly
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240000002126b0/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Geindir View Post
    Just re-reading RotK, and I came across the section where Eowyn rides with the Rohirrim as Dernhelm. Now, I never thought about it before now, but how has she been able to leave the refugees behind? The old, sick an injured in Dunharrow?
    Sounds like she worked for the United Nations refugee program