We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Always level LIs to 60

I had this question when I started with LIs, and seen it asked many times:

If I'm levelling a Legendary Item for relics or shards, when should I deconstruct it?

The answer is: Level it to 60 (the max). If you are desperate to extract a legacy, you can stop at 31, but otherwise go to 60. It has been suggested 41 or 51 would also be good stopping places, but that's not true.

I have kept track of the LI decons I have done over the past few months, and it is apparent that levelling to 60 produces the best relics by far. Since I am able to craft level 85 3rd age LIs (hunter bows and melee weapons and bridles), most of my data is for those. Dropped level 85 LIs seem to have the same results as crafted, although I have fewer samples Lower level LIs give lower results, but the trend is similar.

Based on 98 decons, an average 3rd age LI levelled to 60 produced:
    1.8 T7 relics
    8.5 T6 relics, and
    5.8 T5 relics, and refunded
    894,423 IXP (84% of the 1,067,828 IXP to get to 60).

Since I don't normally level LIs to less than 60, for fun I did four to 41 and four to 51. It's a small sample, however.

Levelling to 41 produced on average
    0.75 T5 relics (3 one time, none the rest) and
    9.75 T4 relics, and refunded
    381,025 IXP (55% of the 687,828 IXP to get to 41)

Levelling to 51 produced on average
    6.25 T5 relics and
    10.75 T4 relics, and refunded
    795,625 IXP (89% of the 887,828 IXP to get to 51)

Note: IXP refunds are quantized to particular rune values. With so few samples, the average could be off by a lot. One of the 51s refunded 938,000 IXP, more than the LI had in it.

The difference between levelling to 51 and 60 is only 180,000 IXP. Since going to 60 always produced at least 1 T7 and many T6 relics, and stopping at 51 produced only T5 and T4 relics, levelling to 60 is a clear win.

I used to decon at 31 because that's what everyone told me to do. Then I started getting lazy and just let them all get to 60. It turned out to be a great idea. Thanks for collecting some actual data on the subject! +rep

When they first introduced LIs leveling them to cap was a waste of time. The rewards were barely (and not always) better then leveling them to 31. They have since increased rewards for deconstructing LI at level cap. It's much faster to level them as well now.
    [LEFT][IMG]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r133/quick_fawn/download_zps62d3cec7.jpg[/IMG][/LEFT]

I still have one question : when your LI reaches level 60 you can reforge it a last time.
    So, should I reforge it (and pay for it), or just deconstruct without reforging ?

I've always reforged it prior to deconstructing, just to be safe, but if it is not necessary, I would rather not spend the money on it.

For fun, I did a couple without the final reforge and they produced typical results: T7, T6, and T5 relics and 867,000 IXP runes. The sample size is too small to generalize, but there isn't an obvious difference from the ones I deconstructed after the final reforge. If you need to, I guess you can save the 60s 50c for the reforge.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliahnus View Post
    I still have one question : when your LI reaches level 60 you can reforge it a last time.
    So, should I reforge it (and pay for it), or just deconstruct without reforging ?

Thank you both for asking and answering this question. This is something I have wondered over and over again as I go through the decon process, however as soon as I left the process my fleeting mind would see something shiny in game (SQUIRREL!!!) and I would forget all about it until the next time I did a decon.
    [IMG]http://www.jerrywagoner.com/galrin_pal2.png[/IMG]
    [B] Level 100 Lore-Master[/B]

I've a question:

Bringing LI to level 60 and deconstructing it gives better rewards comapred to level 31 LI. Alright.

But to bring LI to level 60 takes probably 10 times more time compared to leveing it to level 31.
    Deconstructing 10 level 31 LI would probably give me more shards compared to deconstructing 1 level 60 LI.

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by evguenil View Post
    I've a question:

Bringing LI to level 60 and deconstructing it gives better rewards comapred to level 31 LI. Alright.

But to bring LI to level 60 takes probably 10 times more time compared to leveing it to level 31.
    Not really, level 31-60 takes only 10-20% more XP than 0-31. Also if you decon at 60 you usually get a XP pill that's worth about 800k IXP on average (enough to bring a new LI to about level 45-50).
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Quote Originally Posted by Eliahnus View Post

I've always reforged it prior to deconstructing, just to be safe, but if it is not necessary, I would rather not spend the money on it.
    I've never tried it to see but It's always been my understanding that it's not possible to deconstruct, or pretty much do anything to, an LI while it needs reforging.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by evguenil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    Not really, level 31-60 takes only 10-20% more XP than 0-31.
    Uhm. First of, both of those numbers are way off the mark.

Leveling a legendary item to 30 requires exactly 467.828 IXP (irregardless of equip level or age).
    Then, for a third age item, each additional level requires 20.000 IXP, hence another 600.000 for level 60.

As you can see, that is neither 10 times as much nor 5-10 times less. Instead, it is about 128% more.
    Now, if you consider level 31, this changes to 119% more to go to level 60 instead.

Second, as Grimdi noted, when deconstructing at 60, you will get an IXP rune of at least 837.500 (there are four different values there, 837.500, 867.000, 902.500 and 938.000), which will take the next item right up to at least level 48, which means you are very far towards 60 again, with at most about 230k to add.

So you see, considering all the returns, leveling to 60 appears a far better proposition.

HTH,
    SNy
    LotRO on Linux! http://SNy.name/LOTRO/
    Also home to the LI progression diagram.
    Find the new forums unreadable? Try my forum theme.

there is one other thing. I have A LOT of legendary items the time it takes to get to lvl 60 is more than double the time it takes to get to 31. in that extra time I would accrue more legendary items than what I was deconning, my inventory space can only hold so much.

Thank you Grimdi and SNy for making it clear!

thnx, i already was wondering the same... i kept doing the lvl-ing till 31 just because it is written in all guides, but i am really short on relics atm... especially the higher lvl ones, and soon i should get my 1nd fa weapon, then i need my relics ready, so i guess i will try a couple of times till lvl 60
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

I also came to same conclusion (level to 60). Its a shame that there isn't a simple guide to LIs that covers the strategy of LI progression rather than pages of endless details (important details, but endless).

I posted another post in this forum a few days ago where I was trying to get confirmation for the strategy of other aspects of LI progression.

Maybe someone better and writing guides could put together an "Idiots Guide to LIs." The current guides are very good but they never really covered things like what level to deconstruct at etc. The person who wrote the Wildermore guide did a great job of organizing the information. Something like that would be great. A first post with an overview and then other posts for details, such as one per class to cover which legacies are a must and which ones are useless etc. (Of course lots of people will argue of the details, but for a new player a set of advice is so helpful)
    “[I]It will never work, change always makes things worse, and Turbine doesn’t care about us anyway…[/I].” Eeyore
    “[I]But maybe it will have honey or even something better[/I]!!” -- Pooh

Offtopic.

Guides are good. But...

There were times when it was not easy to get any guide. With Internet it is now just a matter of several minutes to find a guide to any game. I remember me wanted to play a certain game after reading as much info as possible to be able to get the maximum from it. OK, I installed the game, created character, went adventuring and.. Guess what? I stopped playing it after 5 or 10 hours... because there were nothing new in game for me. I knew what I must do, where to find stuff, which answers to answer, which bosses to fight with, etc... boring.

Since that day I try to avoid any guide or even preview/review as much as possible (my curiosity does not agree with this approach of course ). I find it ok though, if I search for an answer on a single question while I'm in the middle of something.

Great way to build up your relic and shard pools. Wish melded stuff weren't bound--I have far more shards than I know what to do with, and millions and millions of IXP. I would have hoped that leveling to 60 would be common knowledge by now, but I suppose the old 31 mantra persists.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

Not forgetting that it costs far less to refine T4 and T5 relics into Shards than it does T7 upwards

That is why most players will decon at 31 or 41

If they want T7 or better then they might choose to decon at 60
    HAF-X | ROG Crosshair V Formula Z | AMD FX 9370 4.4Ghz Black | 32Gb RAM | R9 290 4Gb (x2) | LG BD-RE | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 550/540 SSD | Win10 Pro | WEI - 8.5

Quote Originally Posted by Malindruel View Post
    Not forgetting that it costs far less to refine T4 and T5 relics into Shards than it does T7 upwards

That is why most players will decon at 31 or 41

If they want T7 or better then they might choose to decon at 60
    I may be crazy, but I don't recall paying anything to refine relics. Only to combine.

Assuming I'm not crazy, the only benefit of deconning anywhere other than 60 is if you need a legacy immediately and don't have enough IXP to get it to max. You'll get far more than double the relics for just over twice the IXP, and you'll get a lot more IXP back. I guess you also save maybe a couple hundred silver by avoiding 3 reforges.
    Last edited by Frisco; Jul 16 2013 at 02:31 PM.

To get the most shards, forge (combine) T1, T2, and T3 relics and refine T4 or higher. For a small amount of silver, you'll get more shards on average from a T4 relic than for the lower level relics it took to make it. For T4 and higher, if you want shards, refine them without combining. The next higher tier does not yield 3 times the shards, but you have to combine 3 relics to make one of the next tier.

The cost to combine is higher at higher tiers, so save your highest tier relics to combine or meld to make the high tier relics you want to slot.

Deconning LIs is dependant on the level of the characer

Greetings

This thread as with a lot of similar ones seems to be aimed at players with characters at or near the level cap, and is not too helpful to those of us who are still working out way up!

When we receive our first LI the maximum level it can get to without applying a scroll is level 40 so saying that you should level that up to 60 is nonsense!

A lot of players will probably equip as many LIs as they have room for (ignoring those smarties who would point out that you can spend TP to equip more than six - that is irrelevant). But where is the advice on the "best" thing to do when you get another LI that you want to equip but you already have the maximum? Do you ditch your lowest level LI with these least iXP for example? What about the threshold of level 65 where deconning above and below that level produces different scrolls (e.g. those that only works up to level 65)? Should you decon all your level 65 and below as soon as you can use higher levels?

I realise that there are probably as many opinions as there are possible directions that an Elf will give when asked for a route! I currently have a group of toons who have just recently got their level 65 2nd age LIs and another group who have just got their first LIs and to be honest I am relying on instinct rather than advice about when to decon - I tend to do it at level 11 and 31 unless it's a 2nd age when I hang on as long as possible (aiming for level 60) even though I need the slot. Maybe when my toons progress to higher levels I will relax and keep their LIs until they max out!

Quote Originally Posted by Michaleo View Post
    To get the most shards, forge (combine) T1, T2, and T3 relics and refine T4 or higher. For a small amount of silver, you'll get more shards on average from a T4 relic than for the lower level relics it took to make it. For T4 and higher, if you want shards, refine them without combining. The next higher tier does not yield 3 times the shards, but you have to combine 3 relics to make one of the next tier.

The cost to combine is higher at higher tiers, so save your highest tier relics to combine or meld to make the high tier relics you want to slot.
    That would be true, except you don't take into account critical success on relic combinations. With crits, it becomes most shard-efficient to combine all the way to T9. Of course, how high you want to combine will probably be decided by your financial situation, as T7-9 combining costs a hefty amount of silver.

But if you're gold-rich and shard-poor, it's most efficient to combine up to T9. All depends on how much shards are worth to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveLilyAllen View Post
    This thread as with a lot of similar ones seems to be aimed at players with characters at or near the level cap, and is not too helpful to those of us who are still working out way up!

When we receive our first LI the maximum level it can get to without applying a scroll is level 40 so saying that you should level that up to 60 is nonsense!
    Well, regarding the usefulness of all that info for the leveling player, there is some merit to what you say.

Consider the reason, though: it makes next to no sense to invest anything into (or, for that matter, think too much about) legendary items while leveling. You just take them, use them, destroy them and test stuff to get familiar with them so you know one or two things once you are at cap.

As to the first LI, that one is special, anyway, and needs to be gotten rid of ASAP and not leveled up beyond 21 at all (IMHO). See the other recent thread about that.

HTH,
    SNy

Quote Originally Posted by SNy-lotrolinux-EU View Post
    Consider the reason, though: it makes next to no sense to invest anything into (or, for that matter, think too much about) legendary items while leveling.
    rofl

LIs can be an integral part of the game for a player from the time one gets the first one. Pleasure and enjoyment is perfectly possible at every level during the game. Thinking about things comes naturally to the, um, thinkers among us! I currently "invest" almost all of my spare time in playing this game and from what I've read there are many others who do the same - even those below level-cap. Similarly there are loads of players who are not sprinting as fast as they possibly can through the levels but taking their time as I am. Please bear in mind that not every player has the same attitude.

rofl
    So, you've read the quoted part and felt you needed to react with this... gem.. of an answer? Congratulations!

LIs can be an integral part of the game for a player from the time one gets the first one.
    [...] Lots of stuff about playing withou mentioning LIs [...]
    Can they be? Sure. Does it make any sense to see it thusly? No.

Now, you critized the guides. The guides would be written by people with something of a clue about these items. That would include the knowledge I outlined in the part you didn't quote, viz: for leveling, what makes the most sense is: throw them away as they come. It's not our fault the system is broken as it is, now, is it?

Of course, now, what I didn't say that was that you're somehow forbidden to use remebrance crystals and all sorts of stuff on some 59 first age and use it until you are 85. Feel free to do it if you so please. What I said, instead, was that this (IE: investing into or thinking too much about LIs) doesn't make any sense while leveling.

SNy

I'm curious; who in this whole topic suggested this other than you?
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast