We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by WhifOfDespair View Post
    Okay, that makes a lot of sense.

The thing is, if the app depends on Java 6, it should still be able to run - I have Java 6 installed as well as 7.

Any well-designed app can find if there is a compatible JVM installed on a mac using the 'java_home' command.
    After thinking on things a bit... I suspect that the "real" culprit is Apple's Gatekeeper.

The errors seem to be "security" related type things.

I just haven't spent any significant time on it since the spring trying to guess what might be happening.

Those files I mentioned in my earlier post are what actually happens "next" -- after you click on the ring, and the app "dies." (i.e. did happen previously.)

These are the notes I kept... (which I can't definitely remember what they mean or why I kept them. )

--------<cut here>-------
    PMB info

/Library/Application Support/Media Booster/PMB Files
    tail -f "/Library/Application Support/Media Booster/PMB Files"/pando.log

sudo rm -r "/Library/PreferencePanes/MediaBooster.prefPane"
    sudo rm -r "/Library/Internet Plug-ins/PandoWebPlugin.plugin"

/var/folders/
    sudo find . -name \*PMB\*

#sudo find /var/folders -name \*PMB\* -exec tail -f {} \;

sudo find . -name \*Pando\* -print
    /private/var/db/receipts/com.pandonetworks.pandoMediaBo oster.PandoWebPlugin.pkg.bom
    /private/var/db/receipts/com.pandonetworks.pandoMediaBo oster.PandoWebPlugin.pkg.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.pando.PMB.plist
    Since the directories "Media Booster" are not being created, I am assuming there is some sort of "Protection"/"Secutity" issue.

I did just notice that last find implies exactly that...

tail: /var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/C/PKInstallSandboxManager/7438D0A5-3EAD-42C8-9C41-F5C895FC3360.sandbox/Root/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Print.framework/Versions/A/Plugins/PMBrowser.framework: Is a directory

At this point, I would guess the only "outside chance" of discovering a fix is to submit a Ticket and hope that support will bother to respond.

But since when I managed to get them to put up a Mac Client for Bullroarer at the beginning of the HD beta, they put it up as an Acakamai FTP download, and then replaced it with a PMB downloader... they will respond -- it works for us.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    After thinking on things a bit... I suspect that the "real" culprit is Apple's Gatekeeper.

The errors seem to be "security" related type things.

I just haven't spent any significant time on it since the spring trying to guess what might be happening.

Those files I mentioned in my earlier post are what actually happens "next" -- after you click on the ring, and the app "dies." (i.e. did happen previously.)

These are the notes I kept... (which I can't definitely remember what they mean or why I kept them. )

PMB info

/Library/Application Support/Media Booster/PMB Files
    tail -f "/Library/Application Support/Media Booster/PMB Files"/pando.log

sudo rm -r "/Library/PreferencePanes/MediaBooster.prefPane"
    sudo rm -r "/Library/Internet Plug-ins/PandoWebPlugin.plugin"

/var/folders/
    sudo find . -name \*PMB\*

#sudo find /var/folders -name \*PMB\* -exec tail -f {} \;

sudo find . -name \*Pando\* -print
    /private/var/db/receipts/com.pandonetworks.pandoMediaBo oster.PandoWebPlugin.pkg.bom
    /private/var/db/receipts/com.pandonetworks.pandoMediaBo oster.PandoWebPlugin.pkg.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.pando.PMB.plist
    Since the directories "Media Booster" are not being created, I am assuming there is some sort of "Protection"/"Secutity" issue.

I did just notice that last find implies exactly that...

tail: /var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/C/PKInstallSandboxManager/7438D0A5-3EAD-42C8-9C41-F5C895FC3360.sandbox/Root/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Print.framework/Versions/A/Plugins/PMBrowser.framework: Is a directory

At this point, I would guess the only "outside chance" of discovering a fix is to submit a Ticket and hope that support will bother to respond.

But since when I managed to get them to put up a Mac Client for Bullroarer at the beginning of the HD beta, they put it up as an Acakamai FTP download, and then replaced it with a PMB downloader... they will respond -- it works for us.

Okay, well, I appreciate your efforts here.

I've entered a support ticket, but the initial response I got back was indicative of some disconnect on the part of the support person on even how the 'download page' even works right now. This is not reassuring.

I sent a detailed response back and hopefully the next response will seem more informed.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed here. The fact that the simple "Downloader" app won't even launch is ... wow. I've got hundreds of applications on my Mac and LOTRO's Downloader is the _only_ one that suddenly won't work after the Mavericks upgrade.

Oh well, hopefully this will be resolved soon enough. 'Miss playing LOTRO.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000544bf/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Pew! Pew! Pew!

I still am having quite a bit of trouble with my switch to Mavericks. I have yet to even get to 3.7 GB of memory usage, as I keep throwing an abort on the following error:
    Code:
    Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
    abort() called
    *** error for object 0x75400ab4: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.
    I have submitted a ticket a while ago, but was never resolved.

Crashed a bunch this morning, doesn't matter the area (although Bree is for sure a quick crash).

Ouch. That would suggest bad code. Either it's writing to a pointer after freeing it (totally wrong), or some code is writing to addresses it shouldn't be, whether by writing past the end of a buffer, or using uninitialised values, or similar (also very wrong).

I've suspected there was at least one memory smasher for other reasons, and this would appear to be confirmation. I never got a crash log that demonstrated it, but apparently you are able to reliably reproduce it. Lucky you! Please make sure to /bug it and attach your log.

The unfortunate thing is with HD launching so soon, a lot of the code will no doubt change and they may not be able to easily make use of crash logs from previous versions. Optimistically we could hope they fixed the bug in HD, but pessimistically one might fear it will just make the bug harder to reliably reproduce.

Quote Originally Posted by Formengil View Post
    The unfortunate thing is with HD launching so soon, a lot of the code will no doubt change and they may not be able to easily make use of crash logs from previous versions. Optimistically we could hope they fixed the bug in HD, but pessimistically one might fear it will just make the bug harder to reliably reproduce.
    There are definitely changes in HD... no idea what (if any) will be pointed out in the release notes.

In Beta 6, I seemed to see fewer crashes -- i.e. sessions lasting 1-2 hours were common, as opposed to 45 minutes.

One interesting thing which I did note... there seems to be a "rogue timer."
    Don't know if it is related to Luas or to AFK, although I suspect the latter, it shows up in dumps as implying a Lua timer.
    And it doesn't seem to care if I have any Luas loaded or not.
    In multiple cases I've just been sitting there in some location while typically reading something in Safari, when "boom" - often after being marked "AFK," but not always.

Sadly, this is like the Blind-men and the Elephant -- each part presents a different "feel" to the whole, but none are correct.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I've been playing exclusively on Mavericks for a few weeks now. I've not seen any issues with Mavericks at all. Just the same issues in Rohan which we've had forever. Due to the fact that the LOTRO client is 32-bit and they've yet to create workaround like they have for Windows 7/8. Overall I'd say that Mavericks has given me a good 10% speed increase on frame rates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2