We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Just a quick question about crit rating

When i hover over my crit rating it says: The magnitude of a critical or devastating hit is increased by 23.5%.

What i don't get is;

Does this affect heals ? (i'm guessing it does)

Where does this come from ?

I see in the tooltip that critical rating affects magnitude, so i'm probably answering my own question but 23.5% does seem a lot.

I have 2 settings of the 3 hunters on my lI's but these again according to the wording only affect devastate not crit.

I guess what i am asking indirectly is that "is this a good thing" for a healer.

Crit rating and magnitude are always good for healers
    Siggy

In a word, yes.

That's why my minstrel wears a lot of gear with crit on it. Critting BC in particular can heal for truly stupid numbers.
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

As far as I know, heals can not 'devastate' though, so the increased devastate magnitude is not useful for a healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathili View Post
    As far as I know, heals can not 'devastate' though, so the increased devastate magnitude is not useful for a healer.
    I'm not sure about that. I know all heals show up as either regular or critical in the combat log, but looking at the numbers, I'm fairly certain that some of those criticals really are comparable to what for damage purposes are devastates (but then, who would want to devastate their fellows ).

Easy example: My harmony coda heals between 1.5k and 2k morale per target (approximately). I regularly see critical heals between 3k and 4k, but I also see the occasional heal above 5k (the larges I've noticed was above 5.4k on a warden tank). A simple 'lucky crit' doesn't match the numbers (especially since I regularly crit for 3-4k on the same players). Like I said above, from these numbers I'm fairly certain that there is a possibility to crit-heal with an increased magnitutde similar to the dev crits on damage, it just doesn't show up as such in the combat log.

Not saying I know exactly how it works, but keep in mind
    Wardens and Guardians try to get high Incoming healing.
    Add to this certain buffs from several different classes,
    both short buffs and longer ones and that can explain the
    1k difference at times.
    Incoming healing buffs, Outgoing healing buffs, Tact Mastery
    buffs, Crit-buffs affecting Crit magnitude, add em up...
    Afaik heals do not devastate...

Ok there are a few things here.

So the 23.5% is coming from your crit rating, which effects both crit chance and crit magnitude, so with just your base and bonus from crit rating critical attacks do 173.5% on a critical and 223.5% damage when they devestate. However there are other buffs such as call of war (red capstone) which buff this further, so would do 273.5% damage on a crit, and 323.5% damage when they devastate. The rule is is it says critical multiplier then it affects both critical and devestating hits, but if it only says devastating hits.

However for healing:

The extra crit magnitude from critical rating is not applied to healing. Source - http://www.lotro.com/en/game/article...fence-revision
    I believe the reason for this is offensive skills have there crit magnitude offset by crit defence, whereas heals do not, so if heals were to get extra magnitude from crit rating it would be a major buff to healing.

You can (and should) increase crit magnitude of healing through other means, notably instruments and traits, which add as expected. Also I agree with Bramor (who I think put me onto it), although heals never show up as devastates I have seen heals which are more consistent with a devastate magnitude than a critting one. No idea if they still benefit from the devastate runes, but I would expect they do. I'll say I have not done exhaustive tests, just spamming RtS on myself about 20-30 times and looking at the difference between the highest non-crit and the highest crit.
    Last edited by 00CloughRN; Jul 12 2013 at 06:27 AM.
    “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Quote Originally Posted by EvAmy View Post
    Not saying I know exactly how it works, but keep in mind
    Wardens and Guardians try to get high Incoming healing.
    Add to this certain buffs from several different classes,
    both short buffs and longer ones and that can explain the
    1k difference at times.
    It's more like a 2k+ difference ... regular crits even on well-equiped tanks usually land between roughly 3.5k and just beyond 4k with my current setup, and I've even seen a coda heal of 4.8k on myself (with no incoming healing buff worth speaking of). I've never done any extensive research, but just seeing the numbers float across my screen I am comfortable with saying that there are heals that go beyond "normal crits", and far enough beyond to be out of range of the upper end of the regular crit margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo10 View Post
    When i hover over my crit rating it says: The magnitude of a critical or devastating hit is increased by 23.5%.

What i don't get is;

Does this affect heals ? (i'm guessing it does)

Where does this come from ?

I see in the tooltip that critical rating affects magnitude, so i'm probably answering my own question but 23.5% does seem a lot.

I have 2 settings of the 3 hunters on my lI's but these again according to the wording only affect devastate not crit.

I guess what i am asking indirectly is that "is this a good thing" for a healer.
    Crit rating as of 'recently' affects both magnitude and chance for critical hits/heals.It is possibly the most important stat for a minstrel nowadays, since there is a huge difference in the ammount of heals you do when you crit.
    A good goal is to go above 20% , mostly by raw critical rating stats on gear and not by stacking huge ammounts of fate.
    Heals can devastate ( this started a few months back , most likely when U9 or U10 launched iirc but never made it to the patch notes for some reason ) although it is not mentioned as a 'devastate' in your combat log or in any animations.
    You can prove that only by testing the healing output numbers on the same target , you can notice a significant difference between critical hits which can not be explained by the 'output randomness' of the heal but fits perfectly with the critical magnitude differences between normal crit and devastate crit.
    Just as an addition , the only difference between how damage and heals work , is the fact that critical damage is counted by the MAX ammount of damage your skill can do. On the other hand , heals keep their randomness on critical heals.

For example , if your call to fate does 500-1000 damage , then the critical call to fate , will take the 1000 damage and multiply it with your critical magnitude(crit rating and traits) and the base critical magnitude and apply the damage to the mob.
    On the other hand , if you bolster does 500-1000 heal , then the critical bolster will take a random number from 500-1000 and then multiply with all the crit magnitudes and apply the heal.

The reason this difference exists is most likely the change in development teams we had in the past.

That's all you need to know : D
    Last edited by BotLike; Jul 12 2013 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks for all of your replies.

In the link provided by 00CloughRN is says:

Will my Critical Rating magnitude bonus be applied to my Healing/Damage Effects?

Not at this time. Currently, Critical Rating is only applied to the skill and skill damage, not to associated effects. It’s something we are actively looking into, but we felt this could have a serious impact on heal potency and want more time for analysis.

He defines 'effects' as hots/dots. This implies that magnitude is applied to the initial healing skill but the hots from sos or fs heal from inspire fellows would roll a crit check for each pulse/member without the magnitude bonus.

So Bolster courage would benefit from the magnitude bonus because you are applying the initial skill to one fs member.

In the two skill examples he gives: Coda of Resonance

This is a skill that does damage to a target and heals the caster and their fellowship.
    The skill critical result is passed onto the damage.
    At the same time, it applies a fellowship heal to the caster. Since this is applied to the caster instead of the target, the heal performs a separate critical check from the skill.

Bolster Courage:

This is a standard targeted healing skill.
    The skill critical result is passed onto the effect causing the heal to crit.

This kinda reinforces my view that dev magnitude can apply to single target heals but not to fellowship or hots.

Maybe i'm totally on the wrong train of thought but it explains why Bc sometimes goes uber and why inspire fellows crits on the initial skill before it has actually healed anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo10 View Post
    Thanks for all of your replies.

In the link provided by 00CloughRN is says:

Will my Critical Rating magnitude bonus be applied to my Healing/Damage Effects?

Not at this time. Currently, Critical Rating is only applied to the skill and skill damage, not to associated effects. It’s something we are actively looking into, but we felt this could have a serious impact on heal potency and want more time for analysis.
    Hmm I read it as (Healing)/(Damage effects) rather than (Healing/Damage) effects. I haven't tested it so I'm not to sure which is the right reading. Not that it makes much difference in how I build. I already priorities crit.
    “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”