We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lightbulb Suggestion for flat rate improvement when using Motivating Speech

Currently the skill, "Motivating Speech" grants a +5% increase in Morale. Personally I think this is wrong. It is wrong because it rewards players who have the best kit more than those who don't. +5% to a player who has 12K Morale grants more to that player than a player who has only 8K Morale.

I think it would be much fairer if Motivating Speech granted a flat rate increase to Morale, maybe something like 500 morale across the board, that everyone would get. No player would get any extra Morale than the other. I've seen some players running around with close to 20K morale, which is insane enough... but with Motivating Speech they get an additional 1,000 Morale! Whereas the player who only has 10K Morale will only be granted 500 extra. Being able to acquire the really good items that give the higher Morale values is enough reward as it is, without the percentage increase that Motivating Speech grants. Fair enough, you may say that some players have spent more time/Turbine Points to get the best stats, but what about those who can't spend the time they would like, due to real life commitments or because they can't afford to buy Turbine Points?

I think there is a good case for flat rate increase to stats across all classes, rather than by a percentage. It would help to even things out and not go towards creating an "élite" class of players who strut around in places as if to say, "Look at the equipment I've got! Aren't I uber?!"

that would only benefit glass-cannon builds, which in my opinion have no real place in group play
    Captains are clearly made of sunshine and rainbows. I thought that much was obvious. - RockX

Essie - Tr.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerr_Avon View Post
    Currently the skill, "Motivating Speech" grants a +5% increase in Morale. Personally I think this is wrong. It is wrong because it rewards players who have the best kit more than those who don't. +5% to a player who has 12K Morale grants more to that player than a player who has only 8K Morale.

I think it would be much fairer if Motivating Speech granted a flat rate increase to Morale, maybe something like 500 morale across the board, that everyone would get. No player would get any extra Morale than the other. I've seen some players running around with close to 20K morale, which is insane enough... but with Motivating Speech they get an additional 1,000 Morale! Whereas the player who only has 10K Morale will only be granted 500 extra. Being able to acquire the really good items that give the higher Morale values is enough reward as it is, without the percentage increase that Motivating Speech grants. Fair enough, you may say that some players have spent more time/Turbine Points to get the best stats, but what about those who can't spend the time they would like, due to real life commitments or because they can't afford to buy Turbine Points?

I think there is a good case for flat rate increase to stats across all classes, rather than by a percentage. It would help to even things out and not go towards creating an "élite" class of players who strut around in places as if to say, "Look at the equipment I've got! Aren't I uber?!"
    Better yet, why should we let people get better gear? We should cap every stat at 100 so someone doesn't feel better than the next person. And if a person is proven to have above average skill, give them a lag debuff. If their character is too attractive, make them wear a sack over their head.

Or we could all just get over it. Most people don't run around bragging about how much morale they have. If you're projecting this attitude on people, it says more about you than it does about them.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Most people don't run around bragging about how much morale they have. If you're projecting this attitude on people, it says more about you than it does about them.
    Come off it... we've all seen those "silent" braggers, who deliberately stand in places where you have to notice them. Wearing their uber armour and doing the /flex emote! ;o)

I personally don't know anyone who stacks morale to show off. In fact, the most compared numbers I've seen are mitigations, BPE, Crit, PhysMastery, and Tac Mastery.
    High Treason

|Cuath-1 R11 Captain|

This is a bad joke, right? You know, the people with the high morale are the tanks, they're supposed to be hit instead of you, so it makes sense for them to have more morale (though only a bad tank would focus on stacking morale).
    Last edited by Grimdi; Jun 05 2013 at 06:10 PM.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Unhappy

Please do not start messing with my buffs!!!! I work very hard to get them as good as they are and i would be very angry if they nerfed Motivating Speech! Make threads on how captains need dps (they dont) make threads on our healing power (its perfectly fine) or make threads on our laughable tanking (this one is a good one to post about) but please, do not even put it into turbine's head in any way that Motivating Speech is OP or we will soon hear of a nerf to one of the most important things a captain has to offer.

"Thinking you can do something is confidence; doing something is competence"
    Bannerman, r11 War-Leader/
    Ryzer, r13 Captain/ Ryzur, Minstrel.
    Skill and Valour/Divide Et Impera, Landroval. .

Maybe if people go back to Captain's gear compendium and analyse the available gear, one would realize that high morale gear is not only easier to obtain but also pretty much &&&& when compared to raw mitigation gear, unless you are a bragging noob.

Last night i was in a quick visit to the Moors when i noticed a R2 Cappy noobing around @ 16k morale. When i tanking RAIDs im at 14k morale, so Intrigued i decided to inspect the fellow cappy, only to discover that the poor noob was full to the brim of these crafted eomer and wildermore gear with +119vit an +300-400 Morale. All that put together wouldn't give the noob the mitigations i had in necklace, cloak and pocket.

Simply put, Morale stacking serves just one purpose- make noobs droll over it. And no amount of Motivating Speech would make that 16k morale cappy withstand the tactical damage punishment a night of moors raiding can dish out.

Once i was trying to pug Sword Halls T2C and got a warden to help. he ( she?) was the lowest morale warden i have ever seen at level cap- 14k Morale. But a quick check on its gear and i knew it was no noob- Norcrofts iron necklace + Sutcrofts silver bauble. A noob champ dropped the group as soon as it saw who was going to tank, so i asked a friend LM to help. 8 minutes later the first run was done, and we took another, finished at 7 minutes. I decided to troll the noob champ in GLFF informing the server that a 14k morale warden had just bested SH T2C in 7 minutes in a group without a pure DPS class. Judging a player prowess for the raw morale is just noob. PERIOD. One of the beauties of LOTRO is that it is free to play and with good thinking a player can be effective even without spending too much money or time in the build- the gear that gave that warden so much mitigation can be bartered for 30 rohan tokens TOTAL, about 20 minutes of in-game time doing warbands.

@OP

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Nascephor View Post
    Last night i was in a quick visit to the Moors...Simply put, Morale stacking serves just one purpose- make noobs droll over it. And no amount of Motivating Speech would make that 16k morale cappy withstand the tactical damage punishment a night of moors raiding can dish out.
    Given that vit gives tactical mit and captains have high physical mit from might and armor, this person's mits were probably a lot higher than you think. Maybe not capped, but probably fairly high. Certainly at least 60% each. I try to run a semi-glass cannon build on my captain, and I have ~60% phys mit, ~40% tact mit and about 10k morale. And that's without even attempting to stack vit/mits/morale.

Quote Originally Posted by Nascephor View Post
    Once i was trying to pug Sword Halls T2C and got a warden to help...much mitigation can be bartered for 30 rohan tokens TOTAL, about 20 minutes of in-game time doing warbands.
    While I see your point, my warden friend has capped mitigations, nearly capped avoidances, nearly capped incoming healing, and 18k morale unbuffed, so this warden you're talking about wasn't exactly wearing amazing gear. Neither is my warden friend for that matter. He has Hytbold armor and a mix of teal crafted and instance jewelry. Not exactly stuff that took a lot of effort to get.
    [color=orange]Vormaerin - "Some day people will stop confusing crit numbers with DPS. And then St. Peter will sound the final trumpet of the Apocalypse."[/color]

As a raid tank I can say that if you make the flat bonus around 500 that would barely be worth the time it took you to apply. And yes that would be counting it as 1/6 of the total time. I have the morale that I do in order to survive. And it is in no way a hugely inflated number. Unbuffed I sit at a whisper over 16k. But in a raid that gets me to 20k easy and in some cases as high as 22k(at least for about 10 minutes).

My morale is much higher than most people because I need it. I take far bigger hits and far more of them than other members of the raid. A percentage buff makes the most sense as it gives more to those that need more and less to those that need less.
    [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/nalv.jpg/][IMG]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7739/nalv.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Really your Motivating Speech should provide a +10% increase to Morale with an LI Legacy. This is pretty standard fare for a Cappy buff item like RC Cooldown or something similar. 500 points would make MS worthless especially when you're taking 5+k crits and whatnot.