We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Logo's of the Rangers or Shire?

Did the Rangers of the North or the Shire have a logo, like Gondor has the Tree of Gondor?

Quote Originally Posted by KingHart View Post
    Did the Rangers of the North or the Shire have a logo, like Gondor has the Tree of Gondor?
    They wore grey or dark green cloaks, with no ornament save for a cloak-clasp shaped like a six-pointed star. No logo but the star clasp appears to be some sort of identification symbol.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by tuor66 View Post
    They wore grey or dark green cloaks, with no ornament save for a cloak-clasp shaped like a six-pointed star. No logo but the star clasp appears to be some sort of identification symbol.
    It was the Star of Elendil I believe. Not a big lore "master" , but I think that's what it was anyway. Rangers of the North> Gondor Rangers though, but both are cool as hell! It's easier to RP as a ranger from Gondor though since it's more believable than being one of the few rangers of the North by being from Bree-land.

Star of Elendil technically is Elendilmir. A white radiant jewer in a fillet of silver serving as a symbol of royalty instead of a crown in Arnor.
    Dunedain wore a silver pointed star brooch. Signifying Earendil of course just as the star on the banners of Numenor and originally Elendil.
    Last edited by Egorvlad; Jun 05 2013 at 07:49 AM.

So does anyone have a photo or art of the star? I ask because I would like to use it for a tattoo.

So does anyone have a photo or art of the star? I ask because I would like to use it for a tattoo.
    Only described by Tolkien as "many-rayed pointed silver star". So pointed thus making the rays thin enough and simple silver in colour.
    As far as the number of points, nowhere is there a definitive statement. Theories range from 5 to 8:
    5 - resembling the shape of Numenor
    6 - generally significant and aesthetic design, Earendil's device had a 6-rayed star
    7 - reflecting number of stars on the banner of Arnor (and the number of palantiri)
    8 - another common star design in Tolkien's heraldry, being Feanor's device for one

Other devices of the Northern Kingdom thus connected to later Rangers:
    - A single 5-pointed star representing Elendilmir and thus Earendil was used in Arnor as a device (mirroring Numenorean banners before that)
    - 7 five-pointed stars representing 7 ships with palantiri - official device of Elendil and his heirs (being the banner of Arnor as well)
    Last edited by Egorvlad; Jun 05 2013 at 06:40 PM.

Yes. The Rangers had the Star of the Dunedain as a badge. When Halbarad leads the thirty men of the Grey Company to join up with Aragorn in Rohan, this is mentioned as their only distinguishing insignia. After the war, when Aragorn visits the North Kingdom, he presents Sam Gamgee with the Star of the Dunedain in recognition of his deeds.

The Shire has no official insignia or emblem. Shirrifs are distinguished by a feather worn in their cap.

I think the points were seven, but i'm not sure. However, when you enter the server, if you have a character of the Race of Men, on the floor there is drawn a seven-pointed star.

PS: find a Ranger in the game and look on the cloak... There is a white star. I don't remember if it has seven points, but I think there is the answer.