We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Bands from Distant Lands - Laurelin Edition

Dateline: Landroval 4 June 2013

Weatherstock 5 Preview

Special Dwarrowdelf Edition

Mark your calendars for July 20th. That’s when this year’s edition of Weatherstock, the massive music festival, will be taking place on Landroval. Eleven bands from many distant lands will be there performing for your enjoyment in what is certainly the most well attended player run event of the year, typically drawing over 500 audience members.

This year Laurelin is represented with a band, and some of the awards are based on popular vote at the event, so stop by Landroval and create a character there to vote for your local musicians. Assistance and security will be provided to help low level adventurers make the trip from the Forsaken Inn to Weathertop to enjoy the show.

Further details can be found in the Lotro Forums “Player Run Events” topic. But here are details on a few of the bands that will be performing there this year, including a Laurelin favorite.

My clansman Nellan was passing through Thorin’s gate and noticed a group playing songs for passers-by. Turns out it was “A Rock and a Hard Place”, a band visiting from the distant land of Dwarrowdelf to perform at Weatherstock V this year. The group comprised of Friewin, Winfrie, Jepster, Bruzo, Suidbert, Swaifro and Lanvoc was joined later in the set by Limonita, and according to Nellan a really nice set was played for a rather small audience. On the plus side it seems the band had not yet become aware of their acceptance to perform at Weatherstock, so Nellan was able to cheer them a bit with the good news.

A quick look at the Press kit for the band reveals the following information.

“Hello everyone! We're "A Rock and A Hard Place," a band on the Landroval server of "The Lord of The Rings Online." We are also known on the server of Dwarrowdelf as "The Lords and Ladies of the Strings." We really enjoy playing music, and for some of us, it's the reason we play the "Lord of The Rings Online." We play all kinds of music we like. We hope we get to meet you all in game one day.”

Their flyers go on to note…

“That's right, ladies and gentlemen, A Rock and A Hard Place(Landroval)/The Lords and Ladies of The Strings(Dwarrowdelf) is going to Weatherstock 2013! We hope to see you all there, and we sure are excited to be there! Thanks a bunch Weatherstock officers, we'll make sure to leave a mark no other band has left before! See you all there, and you better be there(Or else we'll smash you with lutes!) We love you guys, and we hope you'll join us for this huge band milestone! Weatherstock 2013 will be AWESOME!!!!

If what I saw was any indicator, those of us who do get to see them will be glad we did!

I have also had some initial contact with the band Don’t Tempt Me Frodo. It seems they are doing some sort of combined effort show with Flock of Smeagols. I’m not quite sure I have a grip on what this is all about just yet, but for now I have at least gathered the following performer roster for DTMF.

“The lineup of players at this point is as follows:
    - Chastine (bandleader)
    - Mirinaeth (bandperson)
    - Aenrael (or other name TBD on Landroval, bandperson)
    - Some other guy, not Junes”

Somewhat more comprehensive information was available for Flock of Smeagols as follows from their Weatherstock Application.

“Band Name: Flock of Smeagols
    Server: Landroval/Silverlode

Band Leader: Durrann (Dwarven minstrel, of the Iron Hills)

Band Members: Codella Mosstoes (Hobbit hunter)
    Aenrael (on Silverlode, name TBA on Landroval
    That other guy (new to LOTRO, name TBA for Landroval)

Background Information: Flock of Smeagols was originally a Kinship created on Silverlode server by Mirinaeth. The band has been created on Landroval to play at Weatherstock in Don't Tempt Me Frodo's stead, due to unavailability of most of the same members from last year. As mentioned in the band app, Durrann and Codella are the founders of the Flock of Smeagols band, and the circumstances of their meeting was,...er...special, indeed.

FoS has played two independent, one-ish hour concerts on Landroval within the last month and has made an appearance at both Ales & Tales and the EMS Open Mic. Members have performed as part of Don't Tempt Me Frodo for weddings, server events, private parties, Ales & Tales, Open Mic shows, solo shows, and of course, Weatherstock!

Durrann and Codella are getting more involved in .abc creation and are definitely planning to create an original piece for performance at Weatherstock. We will also likely be working with the lyrical system, and have some fun currently in the works with that.

We've been wanting to do more with event design and creation, but that has been a challenge, as over half of our normal members are in the middle of pursuing higher education, which as we all know, tends to monopolize a person's life, at the time. Good news though folks, there is this grand thing called Summer Break!! Huzzah! \o/

Music style: A little of everything. Our original composition will likely be something more serious and lively, but we aren't beyond doing cheap covers and twisting existing popular songs for our own devious purposes (*foreshadows*). For those that have attended our concerts, you'll be aware that our signature song is "I Ran", which we think is both appropriate and particularly amusing.”

A third band accepted for Weatherstock, and already fairly well known to audiences at Ales & Tales Monday evening concerts is the Runic Knights Orchestra. The following information about RKO has been taken from their Weatherstock application.

“Band Name: Runic Knights Orchestra (RKO)
    Home Server: Brandywine
    Band Leader: Steeloak (Also Runic Knights Kinship Leader)

Web Site: http://www.rklotro.com

All band members are members of the Runic Knights kinship on the Brandywine Server.

--------------------

The Runic Knights Orchestra
    The following band members may attend Weatherstock:

Aadran
    Chantillyrose
    Grimbori (Grimbori/Hordmod)
    Khaladreth (Khalawyn/Alyrwen)
    Primrosia (Primrosiah/Hartsing)
    Rathinosk (Rathlaer/Rathlam)
    RunicKid
    Sanforyd (Sanicle)
    Steeloak
    Yarissa (Belathriel)
    Zaxin

Background Information

Founded during beta, the Runic Knights is one of the largest and oldest active kinships on the Brandywine server. The Runic Knights Orchestra was created in 2009 to help make make Runic Knights events more fun for our members, and to serve as ambassadors for Runic Knights to the Brandywine community.

The Runic Knights Orchestra represents the core, the very heart of the Runic Knights kinship.

The Runic Knights Orchestra plays at kinship events, festivals and stages the occasional random concert on the Brandywine server. Over the past couple years, we have also maintained a presence on the Landroval server and members will occasionally stop by to play a random concert or visit at Ales & Tales.

Musical Style

The vast majority of songs in our extensive library (over 800 songs as of this post) were transcribed by RKO members, including Pinoh, Thjalfi, Rathinosk and Khaladreth.

The library covers a wide variety of music ranging from Medieval/Celtic and Classical music to Jazz, Big Band and Modern Rock, Dance and Pop music. We love music, all music.”

Returning after their appearance at Weatherstock IV last year, it pleases me greatly to see the Chosen Few will be with us again this year. Here is some background information about that fine band.

“Bandname: The Chosen Few
    Server: [EN-RP] Laurelin

Bandleader : Grymrock Grey - Order of the Divine Brew

Bandmembers:
    Babushka - Order of the Divine Brew
    Gwestia - Order of the Divine Brew
    Merlas - Order of the Divine Brew (Kinchief)
    Chryssie - The Grand Order of The Lost Mathom
    Tallic - The Grand Order of The Lost Mathom
    Nafing - Order of the Divine Brew
    Gotilia - Order of the Divine Brew
    Uswin - Adventurers of Arda

Background information:
    'The Chosen Few' where formed late in 2010 by the kinships 'Order of the Divine Brew', 'Adventurers of Arda' and 'No Strings Attached'. (Grym, Trotgard, Uswin, Chadwick). We then expanded with two more members from 'Durins Folk' (Norgi) and 'Shire Rose' (Amorey). We kept this lineup until last years Weatherstock, but due to people stop playing the game, and other various reasons, we are now in the 2nd lineup for the band.

We have been transcribing our own tunes almost from the beginning, and have now a quite big collection of tunes for all occasions, and we have done a good deal of concerts through the two years with various public balls, birthday parties, anniversary concerts and stuff like that.

We have even played the music for a dwarven transvestite stripper at one occasion.... 0.o.... (dont ask..)

In 2011 we started up the yearly event 'Archet Aid' at Laurelin with five bands present, and last year we had seven bands present. This year, who knows? :-)

Music style
    The Chosen Few claims to be a 'barn-dance band' with merry / danceable tunes in the genres of bluegrass / blues / Jigs and some irish/keltic tunes mixed in. We are also known to have the occasional slow tunes for those cheek-against-cheek dances. :-)

Links to media content for The Chosen Few

Our page at Laurelinarchives.org: http://laurelinarchives.org/node/7504 (do a search there for us, and you will find some pictures from events)

Our Archet Aid website: http://archetaid.wordpress.com

As you can see from these postings, bands are gathering this year from many distant lands, and it is my honor to introduce them to you and give you all a little information about them.
    Aldekim (95 Landroval) Aldekim (65 Meneldor), Aldekim (13 Arkenstone),Aldekim (33 Laurelin), Aldekim (11 Nimrodel), Aldekim (Crickhollow), Aldekim (Elendilmir)

Bands from Distant Lands part 2

Dateline: Landroval 20 June 2013

Weatherstock 5 Preview

These bands from distant lands are expected to perform on Landroval this year July 20th at the Fifth annual Weatherstock Concert. I’m sure they would appreciate seeing you there as at least some on the concert awards are based on popular vote by the audience. So get on over to Landroval and make yourself a character to attend the concert. Securuity there will assist low level alts with travel to Weathertop and security protection from monsters during the concerts.

Special Laurelin Edition

re: Andúnië for Weatherstock

by Makalaure Canafinwe

What is your role in Weatherstock?:
    Makalaure - Band Leader of Andúnië

Have you performed in public as a band before?
    Yes.
    1. We have performed many times on both Landroval and Laurelin.
    2. We have played for the well-attended Grand Elven Ball for several years on Laurelin.
    3. We test our new songs each week and give impromptu concerts on both Laurelin and Landroval.
    4. We were at Weatherstock last year and won the Light In The Dark award. We pride ourselves on original songs created by our members.

Band Members:
    Andúnië band members are: Ancalimo, Earalenia, Earmoth, Elinnea, Fernith, Fionnuala, Lhasbelin, Makalaure, Miste, Nifferil, Phedelene, Taendis, Tamaren, Tuilieth. There are others but I am afraid I will spell their names wrong. :P Our members are from Russia, Europe, Australia and the USA.

Can you schedule a Weatherstock Concert Series performance on Landroval or your home server?:
    Yes!

Contact information:
    Makalaure on both the Landroval and Laurelin Server

Home Server:
    Landroval and Laurelin (we are a two server band)

Kinship:
    We are an all Elven group from many kinships who are drawn together by our love of music.

Introduce yourself or your band here.:
    I am Makalaure and the band Andúnië is made of Elves who came together two years ago originally on the Laurelin server. I hesitate to say "my" band, even as bandleader, for each one of us is capable of leading and I know some are better than I am at the job so it's not really my band at all. We are a team. We also play in other bands for the enjoyment of it because we like and respect each other.

Each band member is extremely talented. Many of us are real life musicians and we create our own songs for game play with themes of Arda. We LOVE music and we hope it shows! Last year at Weatherstock we were the band that played the drum song written by Phedelene. This year we hope to be back with more original tunes that might wow you!
    ---------------------------------------

Die Meisterbarden von Bree

by Die Meisterbarden von Bree

We play EVERY friday a 2h concert on Vanyar (a german server) since december 2008. Our usual audience is up to 40 people. Since about one year we also play concerts on different other servers (Landroval, Belegaer, Maiar, Laurelin usw. ) at a random basis. Lately we performed at some big community events like the "Bree Dressur Derby" on Vanyar and the "Spring Carnival Racing" on Landroval. Here's a link to our livestreams on Twitch.tv:
    http://twitch.tv/arnhor/videos

Home Server:
    Vanyar

Main Character:
    Arnhor

Kinship:
    Die Meisterbarden von Bree

Bands: Website (if any):
    www.meisterbarden.de

Die Meisterbarden von Bree are a band of currently nine real players. With all our twinks we can play songs with up to 16 instruments. Usually (on fridays) we play with a twelve man band. About 95% of our about 600 songs are made by the members of the Meisterbarden themselves. You're all invited to visit us on Vanyar every friday 8pm-10pm CEST (2pm servertime on Landroval).
    Another link some of our songs on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=Meisterbarden

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    by Daffin

The application submitted by Daffin is as follows:

Bands Leaders: Have you performed in public as a band before? Please supply documentation here.:
    Th' Breakfast Club has appeared at th' Previous two Weatherstock Festivals, (2011 an 2012), PLays a impromptu concert in Bree every Saturday which can be anywhere from 45 minutes t' a hour an a half long on our Home Server o' Crickhollow, went t' Gladden last Fall t' play a concert as a prize fer CSTM's Child's Play Auction, an just last weekend came t' Landroval t' play a bit fer th' Races...

Band Members: What band are you a member of?:
    Th' Breakfast Club

Home Server:
    Crickhollow

Main Character:
    Dallofin Bolderbrook

Kinship:
    Second Breakfast

Th' Breakfast Club is a Band that originated with th' Second Breakfast Kinship on Crickhollow, but which now counts as Band Members folks from 3 or 4 other Kinships as well. Th' thing that binds us t'gether is th' desire t' play GOOD music fer th' Free Peoples, an t' add t' th' repertoire o' music floatin around Arda as many new arrangements, interestin lyrics an yes, even original melodies as we can. Although we have several members that come up with new songs fer th' Band t' play, we ain't above playin other folks' tunes, so long as they are well-built an musically interestin. An we hope that others'll find our contributions t' be worth playin as well. Tho I'm sure this can be said 'bout any o' th' Bands that'll be playin in Weatherstock (an many that won't be as well), we're all just terribly pleased that th' Valar have given us th' ability t' make music in Arda, an we hope t' use that ability help bring harmony, both literally an figuratively, t' lands o' Middle-earth.

------------------------------------------------------

by Simbo Rumblebelly

What is your role in Weatherstock?:
    Band Leader

The Songburrow Strollers have been performing on Laurelin for a number of years now, and have organised a number of successful concerts all over The Shire and Bree land.

http://lostmathom.org/pages/concerts/

Home Server:
    Laurelin

Main Character:
    Simbo

Kinship:
    Grand Order of the Lost Mathom

Bands: Website (if any):
    http://lostmathom.org

Hullo!

I am Simbo Rumblebelly, Band leader of the Songburrow Strollers. Also in the band are the wonderful Lina Willowwood, Sevelda Quickkettle and Rowana Fairborn. Keeping up a grand tradition of playing lively music in the Shire, our mission is to make hobbits dance and have fun with a continuing series of concerts all over The Shire and even into Breeland!

As you can see from these postings, bands are gathering this year from many distant lands, and it is my honor to introduce them to you and give you all a little information about them.

Aldekim Etal, publisher
    Lonely Mountain Free Press
    Aldekim (95 Landroval) Aldekim (65 Meneldor), Aldekim (13 Arkenstone),Aldekim (33 Laurelin), Aldekim (11 Nimrodel), Aldekim (Crickhollow), Aldekim (Elendilmir)

Many good bands here! come support the bands from Laurelin! Doesn't take long to create an alt on Landroval!! Weatherstock is an amazing event and the preconcerts will be lovely as you can hear more from the bands!

I will try to come ofc! Wouldn't miss it!
    *cheers*
    -ACHAZIA-
    Songwriter in The Shades and my music at Soundcloud
    Contributer at Lotro Players
    The Shadows

second edition

Dateline: Landroval 20 June 2013

Weatherstock 5 Preview

These bands from distant lands are expected to perform on Landroval this year July 20th at the Fifth annual Weatherstock Concert. I’m sure they would appreciate seeing you there as at least some on the concert awards are based on popular vote by the audience. So get on over to Landroval and make yourself a character to attend the concert. Securuity there will assist low level alts with travel to Weathertop and security protection from monsters during the concerts.

Special Laurelin Edition

About Mornie Alantie

The history of our community

The following lines will serve to bring a little light into the darkness of our development. Many of us, the following will seem familiar, because they were part of the development process of Mornie Alantie. For all the new companions and friends, which we know not so long, the lines may give a short overview of how our community has emerged.

The elf glanced again the first lines, which decorated the sheet, a smile playing on his lips, and already the spring came again to their determination

The beginning .... it is difficult to determine a beginning, because our clan emerged from a different community. Many of us were part of this community which bears the name Nirnaeth na i Anar. As I said, many of our current members were united under this name some time and went into the land until this condition should change.

There were differences of opinion, which abandon the founder of this clan Gilweneth, rhyme and led me to the shelter in the middle of our beloved friends and their own paths. This step is not easy for us, but it was necessary and as hard as it partly fell, we left three on a cool autumn this year, the home of the clan Nirnaeth na i Anar for the last time and new paths.

Where would lead us the way, we do not know yet and we moved a couple of days lost through the country. A return would not exist and we know the other communities put represents no way to find what we were looking for. We talked about it a long time, searching for solutions to ultimately the only correct result for us to find - Starting Your Own Community.

I took off to get the necessary papers and after a long time finding a suitable name, the Mornie Alantie in the familiar surroundings of Reims house was on 1 Founded Narbeleth day of the month. Mornie Alantie - the darkness has fallen, the name under which we should read together through the country to come against the rise of the Dark Lord and his minions proceed. A small community, but we had to be adamant gone the right way! Some had to be organized to make the decision one way or another. The days went by and many of our former companions at the Nirnaeth na i Anar followed in our ranks, each did so in its own special way and it would more than fill this page if I would write every story. New acquaintances were bringing in new members were fortunately their way to us and confirmed us in to have gone the right way!

So much for the development of our community, we will try our history, which we will keep in the room to capture the most important events that affect our community.

May our journey together be long and not too rocky! But no matter what challenges are also waiting for us, united by our community, we defy them!

Curudirion put the pen to the side, waiting for a moment to the written lines were dried and looked happy to be working. He tied the sheet into a roll and placed it in the still empty space on the bookshelf. His work here was done initially and nimble step he left the study behind to enjoy the last rays of the setting sun on the bench outside his house.

Our band consists of members of all races, even if dwarfs are present only seldom. Our kinship and thus our band exists since 3,5 years and we have some great musicians who mostly write the songs manually. Our music style is mostly lore style based inspired by medieval music. But we also have some modern songs in our repertoir.
    Band information

The nameless Band was formed by Arelas on Belegaer in late 2008, almost a year before our kin was founded.

At first we only played for ourselves. Later, when we startet playing in public, we took over our kin's name for the band.

We created many new songs and more musicians joined us.
    We gained a lot of experience in performances and concerts, and last year we won the people's choice award at Weatherstock.
    Our music style reaches from medieval to modern music. We have re-arranged versions of known titles, but also own composed songs.

For Weatherstock we translatet some of our german lyrics into english.

Band members (different names on Landroval in brackets):

Arelas (Arelias)
    Curudirion
    Gilweneth
    Gvenya
    Cendolgar
    Perinulf
    Marebald
    Ranilia
    Clopin (Myrke)
    Gavi (Gavii)
    Fenjae
    Gwaewyn

Then we offer the following information about The Shades.

The Shades started November 2007. It was right after the book 9 "shores of Evendim" Update, when the multisync music system were introduced. We decided to create a band and we called the band The Shades. The name was more or less based on our Kinship name "The Shadows", we thought it would be fun to have some kind of connection, but also because "The Shadows" band name has been used before of someone less important of course

The founder was myself and Abergar. In 2008: Eovina, Semjase and Kosei joined, and in 2010 our last member Erihael joined. We have had several band members during the years. Eovina, Abergar, Semjase, Kosei, Erihael is the ones I consider as key members, and that have been loyal to the band in thick and thin and that are the present members in The Shades today.

We were first noticed when I manage to transcribe "The Bard song" of Blind Guardian in 2007, it was not so many good transcriber-programs at that time, so I remember I was pulling my hair to get it right in the ABC code, I also had to play the solo-part from scratch on my keyboard, so it was a song I worked on for nearly a week. I did publish the song, besides some Beowulf songs. Suddenly I could hear the songs in every corner's on the server, which for me was quite amazing and flattering.

We suddenly understood that the music-system in Lotro was something quite unique, and it was definitely more people interesting in the music system than ourselves. I took the chance to transcribe some of my original songs: "Storm", "My dream" and "Nightingale". I do think this was quite unique at that time, and we got a lot of attention. There were few bands that did multisynced music with original songs back then.

Massively.com did an article of us explaining the music system and we got interviewed. For us that was kind of surrealistic, as we never thought The Shades not only would be mentioned in-game, but also outside the game. It also came by different podcasts wanting to interview us. One true cast, Lotro Academy

http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/10...of-the-shades/

The Shades have done several concerts. There is one concert we do remember very well, it was in Bree Festival ground June 15, 2008. The Concert format we had was also something new, we had along Mugendo (in-game friend) that told stories between the song. We also worked a lot on details like dance coordination, firebreath in sync and smoke rings in sync.

It was a solemn moment when Satine our Community Manager in Europe dropped by as in-game character and held a speech for us and gave us gift. We all truly felt like rock-stars at that moment.
    From there we got many request playing on birthday, weddings, even funerals, kin events. We even played in Ettenmoors on a wedding and the audience got slayed by a horde of Creeps one hour later. Funny enough The Shades was left alone. So I sort of got a feeling how it must have been to play on a sinking ship

We have had eight concerts all in all. One concert a friend taped in all it's length, unfortunately I am not able to find it anymore. But I have a short version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LxDYNk2gg8

(is funny to hear the effects and the screaming girls he added back then. haha)

We have had one or two concert pr year. This is to make them a little exclusive, and we do not want people to go sick and tired of us

Our last concert we had in our homesteads in Langdell. Our theme was Lady of the Golden wood. It was a musical about Galadriel. We worked on something new again, changing the Garden items outside. To create different backdrops to the Story. So we had Abergar as narrator. Actors. Original Music. + Lyrics to the song. We used months to practice that. So it should explain why our concerts are seldom hosted.

Of course there have been many funny moments during the years. I remember we were at this Battle of Bands event with five other bands. (It was hosted by Dwarven-Kin on Laurelin) They announced "The Shadows" as second runner up. I was happy that we came on second place. When they announced the first place, they announced "The Shades". hehe. So the actually gave us 1st place and 2nd place because they didn't figure out we were the same band. (Some people had written our Kin tag instead of Band name.)

What more to say about The Shades? Well we play original music ONLY, and we write the lyrics ourselves. We are very consistent in what we do, that is why I think people like us still. There will be no surprises from the Shades. The music is more or less the same as I think people appreciate the Ballade/Melancoly apperance around us. But of course we always work on doing things better and more exciting, we won’t stay status quo. The Shades contains of many music-minded people. We have musicians along and composers. So is not all about Achazia. But also about Abergar, Eovina, Erihael, Kosei and Semjase! If it wasn't for them Shades would be history I think.

If you want to hear more Shades music or real audio-versions of Shades music. Visit this page: youtube.com/achazia74

If you want to see pictures or more info: Visit this page: http://laurelinarchives.org/node/597

To end this I will mention that In 2011 we won "People choice awards" at Weatherstock! We were so proud! The excellent organization from LMB (editorial addition: LMB is the Lonely Mountain Band, sponsor of Weatherstock) and all the people that came has really stuck to our minds. This is one of the events that are very close to our heart still.

This year we will join again. We are very proud to be a part of this excellent event. To hear other wonderful bands is a TRUE TRUE privilege! I look forward to it. The awards is one thing, but most important. To meet other bands, see the community and be a part of something as big as this. Is just AMAZING and most important of it all.

Achazia and The Shades

Aldekim Etal, publisher
    Lonely Mountain Free Press