We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Wildermore is awesome.

Just wanted to give props to all who had a hand in creating it.

Fantastic story, incredible visuals, the returning to the rangers storyline, The impact of Nurzum, all incredible. Excellent work. Heck it's better than some expansions have been. Keep up the good work.

While the delivery of this update has been very poor, I have to agree that the story and background of the new region is one of the better.

More so the climax of searching for Thrymm throughout nearly all of the quest hubs was quite enticing.

I can only agree with the part about the visuals... Those guys I believe are the only ones holding this game together, because without them this ship would of sunk long ago. I was extremely disappointed with this qp. had I known it was going to be mostly session play and hytboltII grind I never would have bought it. It's just not worth it for all the hassels that came with it.

I'm sure some people were overjoyed with this QP. I on the other hand was underwhelmed with it. I log in do my 5 grinds a day then head off and kill me some of the easier warbands because on my server groups don't go out hunting them no matter how many times I try. then log out. no joy in mudville.

It has been pretty good. I held back 4 alts to level from 80 to 85 in this new zone and found it worthwhile.
    Being able to ride my warsteed into orc infested towns was fun and helped make it easier to fight mobs 5 levels higher.
    I was real happy to find that the mounted burg skill Impugn was so much fun too. Being able to incite a sig mob to attack his allies was brilliant.

I think wildermore is a pretty god alternativ area to get twinks up to level 85. Nice landscape, funny quests with a good story.

But there is one thing I've missed a little bit. Turbine should keep the "hytbolt system" alive in wildermore. The Items you can get in wildermore for reputation and killing warbands are nice, but the equipment of my main char is still better so I don't need one of those items. The items would be interesting for my twinks, but I just want to quest this area with my main char. So why couldn't we trade such items with our main chars and send them to our twinks like the sets of hytbolt? That would be really nice in my opinion, because I don't want to quest the are two or three times. Wildermore is a nice area but don't want to play it several times

so far liking the area moderately, i hate the fact that some of the warbands are in areas where you can hardly move around on your warsteed

Quote Originally Posted by Flixxer View Post
    so far liking the area moderately, i hate the fact that some of the warbands are in areas where you can hardly move around on your warsteed
    the warband at the entrance of balewood is quite challenging yes on the warsteed yes.
    it look often like http://www.coolfunpics.com/slides/Dr...h_Accident.jpg

I wasn't impressed. Looks good, but story-wise I think it just might be the weakest region yet.
    Lazy writing and nonsensical physical feats.
    (Punching a guy halfway across the map and he somehow survives the fall? Let alone that he isn't even injured save for minor memory loss? Yeah, sure....and don't get me started on that effing Horn of Winter plot device that's never explained.)

Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
    What might be right for you, may not be right for some.

I've enjoyed the story line, although enjoyed is a poor choice of words, as it is so sad. I like all the visuals, too. I agree with the post stating it is hard to position the steed in some dicey situations. The effects of Nurzam must have been done exceptionally well, because I find myself inadvertently squinting at the screen to try to see through the frost and snow :-)...

I'm also happy with how powerful I feel on my war steed.

In all, I believe the release was very well done. I love Rohan and this is a great side excursion to it, telling a powerful, realistic story, the effects of evil on the average human farmer in a Middle Earth in turmoil.

I really enjoy the visuals and the quests. One thing that might be changed (I will get attacked for this LOL) is the reward for the end game daily grind. Instead of armor that is not a good as Hytbold, what about some other items that are equivalent to Hytbold armor such as: Pocket item, rings, ear rings, bracelets, necklace, off hand weapon. Doesn't have to be all of them -- maybe half?

With a bit of planning turbine could have a schedule for player gear replacement that is spread over a major release and a couple of updates. It would give all players a path to get a good set of gear by working through end game content.

For Example:
    1) Helms Deep. New set of armor to replace Hytbold.
    2) Update # 1 after Helms Deep. New pocket item, rings and off hand weapon.
    3) Update #2. New necklace, bracelets and earrings.

And then repeat with the next major release.

When compared to Great River, I'm going to have to disagree. Last night I rode through over 1000 meters in the south between the farms there and the second giant ice thing. Zero mobs. There are other areas like that in Wildermore. There are overall less quests than GR offered. The story is not well written. On top of all that we are back to the do 5 dailies and log off. Is anyone getting tired of that yet? Yes there are warbands but I think everyone that tried them realized it is easier to farm instances for on par or better jewelry. The area itself is not favorable to doing mounted combat. Rottenheart anyone? No virtue deeds for completing anything.

Great River was easily the better of the 2. You had solo dailies and group dailies. Meaningful quest chains that were much much longer. It kept me busy from day 1 of release until day 1 of ROR. Wildermore will not accomplish this.

On a side note I had a level 70 mini that started Great River recently. Even though it is not a level capped area anymore, it is still really enjoyable. The solo quest rewards are meaningful. You can actually get some nice gear just completing solo quests (not the dailies). Meanwhile of my 5 level capped toons only one has come close to completing Wildermore. After he has I have no intention of returning there on lvl capped toons or even when my Mini hits level 85. That is saying alot since I spent considerable amounts of time in Lothlorien, Enedwaith and Great River.
    Last edited by Minquinn; Jun 04 2013 at 10:41 AM.

I agree, Wildermore is a fun zone. I liked the story, new dailies, and the much more interesting warbands.

I sometimes wonder if we are all playing the same game

I disagree, it's not a good zone at all. It has potential, but it really has some lazy writing, bad rewards and lack of progression.

Waits patiently for Helms Deep although not holding my breath.

I love Wildermore's scenery. Particularly the snowy slopes where the wind whirls up clouds of snow feels like you're high up in the mountains.

Apart from the rocky start at 'Defense of Scylfig', I love Wildermore's story. I still don't 'feel' anything for the Redbeard fellow. But the other characters, most noticably the Thane of Forlaw, more than make up for that. It's in many aspects a sad story. But flowers do grow in Wildermore despite all the cold.

The Epic is strongly entwined with the Wildermore story. So much in fact that to 'get the right experience' I recommend you do these quests parallel to eachother and finish both regular and epic quests for each hub before moving on to the next hub. The stories when melding together are better than the sum of it's parts.

The optional session plays are nice and offer the best rewards this book has to offer: cosmetic ranger outfits.

Wildermore itself offers a few rather nice improvements to gear, I filled 1 armor slot, 1 offhand slot and 5 jewellery slots with Wildermore gear and hope to add a bow slot soon too. Also it has a next tier of relics for those who want those maxed. So that's really none too shabby!

The MC overhaul is a good thing in itself. I traited for max manouverability and now I don't have to anymore. I feel a bit more diversified as a MC champion.

Wildermore warbands are good fun. They're all L85 and quite a few are challenging, whether through combat mechanism, adds and/or geography.

The Wildermore survivor rep grind ain't all that bad if you use reputation tomes from the skirmish camp and make 3 out of your 5 daillies the crafting quests. It's much faster than Hytbold and with the recent seal-> medallion conversion I have medallions pouring out of my ears.

Apart from the issues - and there are some issues (launcher, hobbit presents, alerts icon, gold/horse lord recipe farming in MC instances - MC rubberbanding, just to name some) - once you're questing in Wildermore and taking the time to enjoy the story and the scenery, it is a very enjoyable experience.

All in all, Wildermore is nice.

The expectations of the player base has gone down considerably. Those that have been around for several xpac can clearly conclude that the overall quality and quantity of content is at an all time low. In my last post I eluded to Great River. I am only GUESSING but I think many of the players enjoying Wildermore never experienced Great River at level cap. They are 2 way different animals.

The only thing were Wildermore is good are the graphics and the landscape design, in that aspect it's probably the best QP yet. Quests, story and characters are ok, but far from great. New warbands, not much new there short of broken combat effects and a slight increase in difficulty. Deeds and rewards are a total failure. Dailies are the same boring stuff as Hytbold, just even slower and with lesser rewards.
    To me it feels like they spent 2-3 weeks on the story arcs, then 1-2 months on the landscape design and rushing the last week making the quests and other content (with liberal use of copy+paste).

Quote Originally Posted by Minquinn View Post
    The expectations of the player base has gone down considerably. Those that have been around for several xpac can clearly conclude that the overall quality and quantity of content is at an all time low. In my last post I eluded to Great River. I am only GUESSING but I think many of the players enjoying Wildermore never experienced Great River at level cap. They are 2 way different animals.
    Or maybe there are people who like mounted combat, war bands, and Wildermore? Your opinion is not a fact and clearly isn't shared by everyone. Great River was a very good zone too. I did experience it at cap.

The way I see it is that Turbine is giving far more for players to do at cap. There are some with nestalgia, who have clearly just grown bored after playing for years, continually complain about how bad the game is. Maybe it is time for some of you to take a break and find something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirgellon View Post
    Or maybe there are people who like mounted combat, war bands, and Wildermore? Your opinion is not a fact and clearly isn't shared by everyone. Great River was a very good zone too. I did experience it at cap.

The way I see it is that Turbine is giving far more for players to do at cap. There are some with nestalgia, who have clearly just grown bored after playing for years, continually complain about how bad the game is. Maybe it is time for some of you to take a break and find something else?

Your opinion is not fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Radbug View Post
    Your opinion is not fact.
    Which is why it was presented as an opinion. Thanks for pointing out the obvious?

I cannot fathom how people like the new warband grinding. It's utterly painful. 30 token's is so much. I got survivor rep up but couldn't bring myself to farm the warbands.

New zone is nice, I like the Lornspan but the Grind makes it upsetting. Oh grind how we detest you.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    ....and don't get me started on that effing Horn of Winter plot device that's never explained.)
    It is somewhat explained in the Balewood quests by one of the Ents. Certainly not in detail, and probably not clearly enough for people who don't pay attention to quest text and NPC commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Minquinn View Post
    I agree, Great River was one of the best regions Turbine has every created, I am staggered how poor Wildermore is in comparison and I would even go as far as to say that it is the worst region Turbine has ever designed (by some considerable margin). I have not disliked a single region in the game until U11... All IMO of course

I don't know about anyone else but I really dont think I'll be able to stomach 'more Rohan' in the upcoming expansion... Stangard was amazing and a great first taste of Rohan... RoR was everything I hoped for from the land of the horse lords... By Wildermore the whole Rohirrim settlement/mead hall/thane thing is wearing thin and I am really not looking forward to West Rohan... Damm this dwarf misses the days of Angmar/Moria/Mirkwood
    Last edited by Bhoris_they_spider; Jun 04 2013 at 03:43 PM.