We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Fix Legacy Lotto permanently: Monetize upgrading legacy slots from minor to major

For as long as I've played the game and longer, one of the biggest complaints about LIs has been Legacy Lotto. You get that shiny new Elder King symbol and make an LI with it, and only get 3 majors. Admittedly this was worse with Isengard and before, and Turbine has since taken some steps to address this by making FA symbols easier to get, but the problem persists. The cynic in me says the problem persists because Turbine has yet to figure out a way to fully monetize the solution; the common suggestion of merging all legacies into a single pool won't increase store sales. For example:

I have forged for myself FOUR first age cappy emblems, at a cost of 488 seals and 1600g on AH. In a couple days, I will spend another 366 seals on my FIFTH Legacy Lotto ticket. All four of the FA emblems I've made have identified with only 3 majors.

While the Crystal of Remembrance was a step towards addressing this problem, for some of the classes out there, it still isn't enough. A healing cappy emblem with only 4 majors on it, for example, barely rates a D-minus (unless you want to swap emblems every 2 minutes in the middle of combat--a severe quality of life issue). If a cappy wants to preserve his sanity, he really needs 5 majors...

Turbine could make more money off the LI system (since we know keeping the lights on is what they care about, understandably) if they introduced a scroll to upgrade one minor legacy slot to a major legacy slot, thus giving us a *complete* way around Legacy Lotto through the store. It's not like they haven't already taken a step toward this with the Crystal of Remembrance, though it was an incomplete step. I know I would have gladly paid 995 TP by about my third attempt at an emblem for preserving my sanity, as literally everything i grind out now is with the sole purpose of acquiring an emblem with more majors on it instead of other ways of character/alt progression.

As an aside to those who argue that FA is too easy to get now (a criticism with which I agree somewhat--given that I even CAN grind Legacy Lotto tickets like this--before RoR HA!): if they sold legacy certainty even a single FA symbol could be made into a "dream" LI once you had it. Now, there is nothing more than the crushing feeling of defeat upon getting a losing Legacy Lotto ticket..

I agree
    The way the legacies are now on the captain it PROMOTES a buffstick and switcher emblem.This sucks and i hate it

[Tangaar Captain R 7][Barukhazad Minstrel R 9]

Just get rid of the entire major/minor system...

And btw, if I got a fifth major on my emblem, i wouldn't waste it on SoW anyway, still need that buff emblem anyway...
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8C8nLy2okg[/url] Saruman 6-man
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj4h-CF9log[/url] Warden Survival
    [url]http://tftgb.wordpress.com/[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by vr00mie View Post
    Just get rid of the entire major/minor system...

And btw, if I got a fifth major on my emblem, i wouldn't waste it on SoW anyway, still need that buff emblem anyway...
    Yes I know people have been saying get rid of major/minor since before I even heard of this game. But like I said, the cynic in me says Turbine won't devote dev resources towards it unless they can somehow make money off of it. So rather than adding to the futile pile of complaints about LIs, I figured that suggesting a way to monetize a fix might be more likely to actually see the light of day.

As to what I do with a 5th major--5th healing legacy or SoW--it's a direct trade-off between min-max or quality of life. I view swapping every 2 minutes as a bit excessive, so I'll take the QoL. If playing became more of a swap chore than fun, then the people I run with would have to spam "5/6 or 11/12 need cappy" that much more, in which case a 5th healing legacy might not be that helpful. (Hell with this change I could even see myself going with 6 majors since I really only need the rez minor to fill that role--swapping doesn't seem to reduce the cooldown for me.) :P
    Last edited by Makaryk; Jun 03 2013 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Makaryk View Post
    (Hell with this change I could even see myself going with 6 majors since I really only need the rez minor to fill that role--swapping doesn't seem to reduce the cooldown for me.) :P
    Be sure not to swap back until after the animation is complete and the skill cooldown has started.

And You're probably right that they wont devote the dev-time to remove majors/minors. But going store on yet another LI item... I'm not so sure...

For those that are willing to pay for it (me included) it would be a great boost. But the F2P=P2W crowd would get more fuel for their fire...
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8C8nLy2okg[/url] Saruman 6-man
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj4h-CF9log[/url] Warden Survival
    [url]http://tftgb.wordpress.com/[/url]

NO THANKS.
    I am unlucky with the lotto aspects that are all over the game now as it is, I have NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER to now go and pay in TP or whatever for what is clearly a broken system.

Quote Originally Posted by Makaryk View Post
    I have forged for myself FOUR first age cappy emblems, at a cost of 488 seals and 1600g on AH. In a couple days, I will spend another 366 seals on my FIFTH Legacy Lotto ticket. All four of the FA emblems I've made have identified with only 3 majors.
    I know exactly how that feels, but the solution is to get rid major and minor legacies, not to monetize the bad luck of players.
    BTW, look at what a healing rune-keeper's satchel needs (one, just a SINGLE ONE! major legacy). That's a fine display of how far Turbine's knowledge of what players want or need goes.

SNy
    LotRO on Linux! http://SNy.name/LOTRO/
    Also home to the LI progression diagram.
    Find the new forums unreadable? Try my forum theme.

Well, shortly after I made this complaint (which for some reason got moved here instead of to store suggestions, the latter of which Turbine might actually pay attention to, despite the fact that it *IS* a store suggestion), I got off the grind treadmill, as it's fairly obvious that attempting to grind Legacy Lotto tickets is utterly pointless. I did however wait for the cooldowns on the emblem recipe, as I spent down assets on my last couple of tries before giving up outright and "taking a break" from the game, which means that there is obviously no point in giving Turbine my VIP money until at least Helm's Deep, and that if I even bother to come back. Obviously if I'm not even playing the game, there will be much less rush to preorder, so even if I do come back, I'll probably wait for a sale (unlike with RoR), and even then, the likelihood of me coming back is greatly diminished without a Legacy Lotto fix. Why should my First Age symbol be worthless next to my friend's? Seven times over? He did the same work for the same item that I did. Actually I did the same work he did seven times over, and still could not produce an acceptable result, let alone his. Seven times, 2700g, 854 seals, 7x 3 major legacies IDed. My friend IDed 5 majors on his first try. I have spent down my assets now and now I'm nearly bankrupt in game, having only the remainder from my last symbol purchase. And the class I play is more or less balanced around having all majors on that emblem.

I thought the purpose of making FA symbols bartered was to remove RNG for some unlucky people in raiding...but we still have RNG in whether those FA symbols are actually worth anything or not (and no way to tell in advance what they are really worth, since there's no way to tell "this symbol will ID with 4 majors" on the AH--and I would have paid a premium for a "better" symbol, believe me...

Why is major/minor still in the game after years of complaints? Because Turbine cannot make money off a fix? Very well, then, why does Turbine not sell a fix, like they sell everything else? As uncomfortable as others are with the whole idea of buying the LI fix, I'd much rather pay 995 TP from my VIP allowance than leave the friends I have made here over poor game design over one of the mechanics that allegedly separates this game from others.

I suppose I will have to direct Customer Support here in a few minutes, when they ask why I am cancelling my VIP. There is no hope for Men.

EDIT: Cancelled.
    Last edited by Makaryk; Jun 17 2013 at 02:29 PM.