We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Anyone playing on macbook air? Experience?

Hi all,

Planning to start again with lotro. Have a lvl 44 hobbit burglar and since i have a macbook i want to play it again!
    What are you experience with lotro on a macbook air?

Have a:
    Macbook air 13,3''
    i5 1.8Ghz
    4Gb
    128GB ssd
    Intel HD4000 graphics

How will it run? And what about the heat/fan noise?

Greetz

Quote Originally Posted by Roy90 View Post
    Hi all,

Planning to start again with lotro. Have a lvl 44 hobbit burglar and since i have a macbook i want to play it again!
    What are you experience with lotro on a macbook air?

Have a:
    Macbook air 13,3''
    i5 1.8Ghz
    4Gb
    128GB ssd
    Intel HD4000 graphics

How will it run? And what about the heat/fan noise?
    From the thunderous response, it doesn't mean that nobody else is using one... only that people don't necessarily read this forum unless they have a problem.

I used to run on a MacBook Pro via Wine until my son appropriated it for college. I had no problems with it.

15 inch MacBook Pro -- 2008
    Model A1260
    Serial Number (system): W88401K6YJY
    MacBook Pro4.1 Core 2 Duo [2.5GHz - 4GB 667]
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT - 512MB VRAM
    OSX 10.6.5

That said, the "minimal system specs" Turbine posted for the Mac Client are:

Minimum
    Processor: Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel Core i5
    Video: Intel HD Graphics 3000 or better
    Memory: 2 GB

Recommended
    Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel Core i7
    Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M or better
    Memory: 4 GB
    These were based on systems Turbine had in house used for testing ... they did not compare different models.

Your 1.8 GHZ i5 is close enough to 2.0 Ghz i5 so, performance should not be an issue.
    The SSD is a big win compared to a SATA drive. (The installed Mac Client takes roughly 20GB).
    The Intel 4000 is the later version of the 3000.
    And the 4GB of RAM is really the minimum needed.

In my opinion&the only issue would be if that Airbook has a Retina Display.
    The Retina display is NOT supported at native resolutions.
    It's not that it doesn't work, it does, and it is gorgeous --- you just can't read any text!!! No font available at the native
    resolution. I believe you can lower the resolution and get readable text, but I haven't tried it.

I currently run on a 27 inch iMac:

27 inch iMac Intel (mid 2010)
    Model: iMac11,3
    Processor: 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
    Display: 27-inch (2560 x 1440)
    Software: Mac OS X Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.3

Keep in mind -- the Mac Client runs well and has a gorgeous display -- just don't crank up the display settings to Ultra High.
    The Mac and PC clients both still have memory leaks. Ultra High graphics settings do impact that... just run with the defaults.
    The "select optimum" button does not work.

That memory leak issue tends to limit sessions to about 45 minutes in Rohan, but it is an issue related to the Awesomium display client used for all NPC dialogs, Quest dialogs, the store, etc.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I wonder if the Texture Cache Size setting in Advanced Graphics will help any of the clients that are on a computer with plenty of RAM and an Integrated card like the OP. I also wonder if it's even working on the Mac Client.
    [color=red]Mac Player[/color] 15" rMBP - 8GB RAM - 500 GB SSD - 1GB GT 650M - Mac OS X 10.9.3

Thanks for the anwsers i think it will run on my macbook air then. I only afraid for the heat consumption...

Just try and see i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by kripsin View Post
    I wonder if the Texture Cache Size setting in Advanced Graphics will help any of the clients that are on a computer with plenty of RAM and an Integrated card like the OP. I also wonder if it's even working on the Mac Client.
    Most (many?) (almost all?) of the graphics settings in the MacClient do not work. I don't know if Texture Cache is one of the ones which does or doesn't...

"All" Macs have "integrated" graphics. That is to say, Apple buys the chips and software from the OEM then engineers them into their own single-board computers. There is only one Mac model (the high-end Mac Pro) which accepts a "standard" graphics card. However, even with that one, the Graphics Drivers available are those written by Apple and part of OSX. ... which is the primary reason why the various graphics settings do not work.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I downloaded and ran the Mac client fine - no adjustments necessary. (After reading all the horror stories, I was pretty amazed!)

Yes! :)

Just finished installing and updating the native beta Mac client on my CTO Mid-2013 13" MacBook Air. Special ordered the 1.7GHz i7 and max'd RAM to 8GB. Optimal graphic suggestion was VERY HIGH! w00t! Had been playing via Darwine installation on 2009 MacBook at low-medium graphic settings. Don't know for sure but guessing you will be able to play at medium graphics for sure, with maybe some settings at high. I am trying to figure out how to 'count frames' so I can get a little more objective data with this processor since there are relatively few mentions of the i7 upgrade. Although I saw an AnandTech article mentioning that graphic benchmarks with the i7 were similar to the i5...
    **[COLOR=#ff0000][B]Mac player[/B][/COLOR] since January 2012, even after RoR thanks to Gwidhrenwing and Pecio!**

Late post but might still be helpful to someone

I have been playing for 2+ years with a late 2010 MBA, the 1.6ghz/4gb/Nvidia320m model, first under Wine and now with the native client. I have never had any complaints about performance, in my experience most of the graphical glitches have been resolved, and it is far more stable than it ever was for me in Windows.