We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Questions about how RP works on an MMO

I have RP'd in text for many years but am new to it with regard to MMOs and I have a few questions...

* How closely does the "story" content of the game affect RP? We can't ALL have rescued Lalia from the Barrow Downs, right? Do people just turn a blind eye to supposedly having all the same adventures as someone else?

* How does leveling affect RP? I don't even know how to phrase this question intelligently, other than I think it's strange that one person could be a level 85 saying they're a first age elf, another 85 could say they're a random hobbit, and their skills game-wise are similar.

* How do the limitations of graphics affect RP? This is what has scared me off trying RP on Lotro so far... emotes feel pretty limiting compared to what can be written or imagined in text! Is it necessary to use emotes constantly? Does it feel limiting, or look funny?

* Those of you running around the middle of nowhere with the RP flag on: Did you forget it's on, or are you totally game to stop what you're doing and have some RP far from civilization?

* Is public RP annoying to non-RPers? I'm on Landroval, so I think it might be sort of expected there, but I still wonder!

Thanks!

I'm not even going to pretend to speak for others, but here's my two coppers' worth:

* How closely does the "story" content of the game affect RP? We can't ALL have rescued Lalia from the Barrow Downs, right? Do people just turn a blind eye to supposedly having all the same adventures as someone else?
    Some people choose to RP the quests, others don't. It's really a personal preference. For myself, if I'm with a group of my friends or kinnies, we'll RP the quests and incorporate them into our common storyline. Other times, we'll just leave things general. For instance, instead of saying 'I saved this fool Hobbit lass Lalia in the Barrowdowns the other day,' I may just say 'I can't believe anyone with any sense would wander into those hills, especially with all of the strange tales you can hear nowadays. Why, the Watchers sent me in after some folk who traipsed in there looking for treasure!'

* How does leveling affect RP? I don't even know how to phrase this question intelligently, other than I think it's strange that one person could be a level 85 saying they're a first age elf, another 85 could say they're a random hobbit, and their skills game-wise are similar.
    Personally, level doesn't matter to me as an RP. While I usually do blast through the levels, it's mainly just so I can get to more zones to RP in. However, when I play an Elf, I usually write in to the backstory that he's been away from warfare for some centuries in order to give me a reason why my skills are so awful at the beginning. It just feels better to me.

* How do the limitations of graphics affect RP? This is what has scared me off trying RP on Lotro so far... emotes feel pretty limiting compared to what can be written or imagined in text! Is it necessary to use emotes constantly? Does it feel limiting, or look funny?
    Don't worry about the limitations of the graphics engine. You don't need to just use the provided emotes. By typing '/e [your text here]', you can create your own emote! Some people RP entirely by emote, some just use text, most use some combination of the two. You're not tied down to the offered emotes. Learning that really opened up my RP.

* Those of you running around the middle of nowhere with the RP flag on: Did you forget it's on, or are you totally game to stop what you're doing and have some RP far from civilization?
    I can't speak for others, but for me: yes, I would love to RP in the middle of nowhere! I leave it on all the time because I'm always up for RP.

* Is public RP annoying to non-RPers? I'm on Landroval, so I think it might be sort of expected there, but I still wonder!
    In most cases, no, it's not annoying, especially not on Landroval or Laurelin. However, even on non-RP servers, non-RPers are still gracious (for the most part). The only thing I would recommend you shying away from is erotic RP in public places. If you're going to do that, head into some kind of instance, please.

Hope this helps! Welcome to Landroval, and enjoy the RP!

The Éored of the West-Mark ~ Lore-accurate Rohirric Kinship on Landroval

I've also primarily roleplayed in text, specifically on MUDs, including one very hardcore RP MUD that had hard-coded realism (no character levels, permanent death, inventory based on what a character is holding in right and left hands, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Haruven View Post
    I think LOTRO makes more effort to allow the text in the chat box to represent what is happening the graphically-rendered world than other MMORPGs that I've tried. You can perform a hard-coded emote with a graphical animation but use your own text for the input window. Also, you can insert the name of a player or NPC into your emote by targeting the character on the screen and typing ";target" into the emote.

So, I could type "/kneel drops to one knee before ;target, bringing his fist to his heart in salute." The visual animation would show my character kneeling in the direction that he was facing, and the chat box would output "Fyndril drops to one knee before Gandalf, bringing his fist to his heart in salute." (Assuming I was targetting Gandalf, for example.) That doesn't allow as much control of emoting as MUDs or MUSHs do (for instance, I don't think you can get rid of the space after your character's name in the text of an emote, in order to put an apostrophe -- "Fyndril's hand clenches into a fist"), but it's still not bad.
    Fyndril of Landroval, Band of Hope (Man Hunter)
    Caerlon of Imladris (Elf Guardian)

Many of your questions come down to personal preference, with separation between heavier and lighter RPers. As a self-declared heavy RPer with a background in plain fiction writing and some forum-style RP (LOTRO is my first MMO RP experience), I'll mostly give you my take on the question and let you make up your own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruven View Post
    I have RP'd in text for many years but am new to it with regard to MMOs and I have a few questions...

It has been done both ways. For myself, I find the in-game quest storyline to be awfully limiting when it comes to character backgrounds and occupations. For example, my Bree-land tavern cook wouldn't go into the Barrow-downs alone for any money, much less traipse out in search of random hobbits. As regards background creation, then, I pretty much ignore the quest content. Having said that, RPing through quests with other players can be heaps of fun. Depending on the circumstance, I may not consider all the quest text "canon" - for example, in one kin storyline, our characters killed a wight boss in the Trollshaws whose presence was integrated into our personal plot instead of how it was explained by the quest giver. When I meet a character who recounts doing some quest that my character has done ICly, I try to find a way to make the two stories mesh - sometimes just by imposing temporary amnesia on my own character, or sometimes more creatively ("Indeed? I just last week rescued a hobbit lass by that description! My, but she must be short on brains, to think of going out there again...").

This, I totally disregard when it comes to RP, again because it's really limiting. If I find myself short on time to spend leveling for a few weeks, I don't want my character to have to suddenly stop training with the Bree-land guards or whatever it is they may do to improve their combat skill. Level mostly becomes significant when you're talking about IC player-versus-player combat... which is a whole 'nother question with a billion answers (I disregard level even here). When you're talking about fighting landscape mobs, it just doesn't make sense to me that a wolf off in Rohan should be THAT much scarier than a wolf in Ered Luin, so I just RP fighting it like I would any wolf. The shadow wolves in Enedwaith are another matter. The characters of mine who have ICly encountered them consider them to be much "higher level," as it were, than those in Wildermore.

Hear hear! It's not at all necessary to use the provided emotes ("canned" emotes, a friend of mine calls them) at all, if you don't want to. Again, I disregard graphical limitations when it's inconvenient. I roleplay people - not pixelated beings who aren't even solid all the way through and get up in the middle of laying down to scratch their arms. Having said that, I do think the visual effect of at least some of the emotes is a nice touch. In those instances, I mostly use the emote but provide my own text. For example, if I type "/wave raises a hand in greeting," my avatar will go through the motion without the "canned" text to limit my own description.

Again, there's lots of ways to do this. On one end of the spectrum, some people just like to see their name in pretty white instead of boring beige and could care less about what it means. On the other end, some people diligently switch the flag on and off depending on whether they consider themselves to be in-character. For myself, I'm just about always open for random RP, so I leave the flag on. I also have a note in my bio to that effect.

Thanks!
    I shouldn't think so, at least not to reasonable folks. Of course, there are always people who think RP is just silly, but no one's forcing them to sit and listen. As was mentioned, if you want to RP content that could be offensive, please take it to a private channel or instance. Other than that, I've never met anyone who has a problem with it.

Welcome to LOTRO RP - do jump in!