We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Deciding if Hunter is right for me

Oi there. I've got a serious case of Alt-itus. I'm running out of classes to try. I'm not sure if it's just depression kicking in, I just haven't found a class for me or I just havent raised the right class high enough. I currently have a 67 Loremaster, 60 Captain, 42 Burglar, 40 Minstrel, 30 Runekeeper, 27 Warden and 20 Champion. As you can see I'm running out of options.

I was wondering how well a hunter solos since I mostly play solo?

How well can a hunter solo elites?

How well does a hunter do solo in skirmishes?

How does a hunter do in the moors?

Is the stand still for focus thing permanent or are their abilities to get passed it?

How useful are traps?

How well can a hunter handle multiple monsters?

Whats mounted combat like for hunter?

How different and used are the three trait lines?

End game how well can hunter solo content?

What convincing arguments do you have towards hunter?

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Wow 192 views and 0 replies O.o anyone?

Solo good

Good

Good
    Dies
    Is the stand still for focus thing permanent or are their abilities to get passed it?
    errr.....Lol level 85 and I dont know this one heheh I must be stupidest Hunter ever.

How useful are traps?
    Dont use em much but useful when part of someone's kill plan I guess
    2 or 3 on level are doable higher numbers get dicey
    God mode- 'nuff said
    Im pure solo bow master myself
    Good
    Most played class in the game, must mean something
    No prob
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000001ee3e9/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Kizunas View Post
    Play with a level head and dont bite more than you can chew, and it is mostly fine. Infact, with a fairly decent bow and gear, you will be killing a normal mob before it can even get to you. It is not a class known for its survivalibility, but it is not in a too-bad shape either. The high DPS and range makes up for most of its drawbacks.

If you start from your maximum range, you usually can. It wont exactly be easy though, and you may need to use morale pots.

A hunter does amazingly well, especially when combined with a good skirm soldier. the high dps shreads through normal mobs like a hot knife through butter.

Not really the most survivable classes soloing, but they are amazing in groups for their ability to dps with a lot of range. Basically, if you have something in sight, it usually dies. But soloing however, you probably end up as wargie snack!

At low levels, precision stance helps a bit by returning focus pips every 5 sec and delaying focus loss on movement by 2 sec, but sadly, till you get to level 58 with a legendary trait, improved fleetness, you dont really have many options. even then you definitely get more dps if you stand still, because you need to use induction based skills.

How useful are traps?
    Amazing if you wanna root a mob in its place while you kill something else, or stop something in its tracks while you rain arrows on it. Some mobs are immune to cc however, and there a trap's utility diminishes. you can use snares though, which puts a DoT on the target, to soften up a baddie with lots of morale.

At low levels, the upper limit is usually 3. It also depends on whether you are initiating the fight or not. traps and a limited fear on nature mobs helps keep 1 foe in check while you burn down the others. At higher levels, you get a legendary fear, an aoe trait, and a couple of heals, and even an aoe mez+bubble. Your ability to handle multiple mobs improves a lot then.

We are GODS on mounted combat, if traited and played right. self heal, self power restore, solid dps, dismounting capabilities, and a trap that can fear mobs...pretty handy. (i use a light steed and i change stances in combat)

Yellow is focused on cc, and sadly doesnt do a great job at it, while sacrificing too much dps. not really used. both red and blue are dps based, and offer a lot of flexibility on how you can trait for them. i like how flexible traiting on a hunter is.

Very well. sadly endgame solo content is not really challenging.

Give it a shot, you might just enjoy the relaxing feeling of just dpsing stuff down from afar, both in solo and in groups.

np, hope this helps. give hunter a try, you tried most other classes.

PS. that was my 3rd try typing that.......sigh.
    [IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/2j5ider.jpg[/IMG]

Hello. I will answer the questions I feel adequately confident about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizunas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EBJiLCodpc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2Z6gRYEaM

Some skills which add focus can be used on the move; e.g. Blindside. Nonetheless, hunters lose focus by moving, and cannot use their focus-building inductions whilst moving - always.

How useful are traps?
    It's a trap! Usefulness depends on circumstance. Against multiple landscape mobs, very good CC; this counts for raids and landscape. Exceedingly less so against immune bosses. In Moors, very useful. The largest threat to a hunter's existence -wargs- can be easily nullified with a few traps. It breaks them out of stealth, making them pitiful and short-lived fodder. Most hunters, unfortunately/fortunately, do not realize this. The true limits of a trap's usefulness, however, depends entirely on the extent of your cleverness.

Less well than others, better than some. Also, depends on the type/number of monsters. As single target DPS, a large number of low health, low DPS mobs are vastly more dangerous than two or three solid ones. For generic landscape mobs, and a little preparation, you can engage 5 handily. Yet also depends on gear and trait configurations.

All this said, I do not believe hunters are as soloable as several of the other classes, such as wardens or minstrels, as they lack equivalent self-healing ability. Nonetheless, hunters have their own strengths and weaknesses.
    Last edited by Beast_of_War; May 31 2013 at 07:58 PM.

I'm a little biased against the Hunter. Anyway, here goes:

Oi there. I've got a serious case of Alt-itus. I'm running out of classes to try. I'm not sure if it's just depression kicking in, I just haven't found a class for me or I just havent raised the right class high enough. I currently have a 67 Loremaster, 60 Captain, 42 Burglar, 40 Minstrel, 30 Runekeeper, 27 Warden and 20 Champion. As you can see I'm running out of options.

Not bad. Run speed buff (yeah and they actually pay gold to buy coffee to run faster), ports, good DPS, even the minimal CC that could save your life.

The link above never cease to amaze me. He must have practised a lot (the best I can do is one troll, and that took like 10 minutes). Be sure to use just about every skill you have in your pocketses. And potions.

Rather fast. After all, you're a DPS class.

Having recently taking myself to a trip to the Ettenmoors, here are a few things. 1. You will be incredibly annoying and will occasionally get the killing blow, when you are not being focus-fired (d'oh). 2. When solo/caught unaware, usually you'll be dead. 3. If you're focus-fired, you are going to be dead. Unless you have several healers backing you up/Guardian with Shield Wall/Captain with In Harm's Way, etc.

Traiting 2 blue traits lets you to keep your focus for +2 seconds. Using Improved Fleetness (awesome skill, screws inductions and in return, gives you Derp Spam™) will nullify focus lost on movement. As for building focus, you have focus potions. Other than that, I can't really think of any other way to build focus (except with Precision Stance and Imp. Fleetness of course) without standing still (Intent Concentration roots for you a little, and induction skills... yeah).

How useful are traps?
    I don't really bother with traps in landscape now, unless I'm dealing with some tough mob. On lower levels, if you're going to pull, say, 3 mobs, put down a trap and use your other CC skills and you should be fine. In the Ettenmoors, it's actually useful, especially with the triple traps. As mentioned by the post above, it helps dealing with Wargs (I remember we were all standing within the trap with a campfire in the middle the other day).

A "meh" ranking. As I mentioned above, use your CCs and gun them down one by one. Or on later, you can just burn down mobs so quick that having 3-5 mobs on you isn't that much of a problem (when in doubt, get your CCs ready).

Great! You have DPS, self-heals (morale and power), CC, and no inductions. I was blown away when I first tried it out.

Red: looks something like burst DPS build. Rather power hungry and slow inductions.
    Yellow: a fail attempt at giving us a CC role. Minstrels get a inductionless, non-legendary Bard's Arrow at level 12, just saying. The more you trait in yellow, the less DPS you provide.
    Blue: I have been a blue-line fan for as long as I can remember. Having played a Hunter and a LM - two induction-based classes, Improved Fleetness (the capstone) allows me to deal damage while kiting. I love that so much I'm kiting even when the tank is having aggro. Kiting is a joy (to me anyway).

If by end-game you mean stuff like Wildermore and Rohan (unless you're referring to BfE, and asking how well a Hunter can solo it, well, you're dead), well, they're all solo-based so you should be alright there. Or if you want to know how much are Hunters in demand, at least in my server (and based on what I'm seeing there) it's alright.

Not much. I'm a little biased against Hunters. Play each class and see what you like!
    Yw. Heh heh.
    [COLOR="#669966"][center][size=1]Mildford - R9 Hunter • Support - R7 LM
    The Storm Crusaders • Gladden[/size][/center][/COLOR]