We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Smile Reverse corruption

I've been hanging out at the Tolkien Gateway (http://tolkiengateway.net/) refreshing my lore knowledge I was reading of how Melkor corrupted some of the Children of Iluvatar and realized I've never heard of a reverse case.

So, like, has there been a being of the dark that's been redeemed and chosen to turn to/come back to the light?

If not, does anyone think it's possible?

The thing is, in Tolkien's legendarium nothing is "of the dark" innately, from the beginning. Not even Melkor, who was originally just another Ainu, albeit with more curiosity. So the definition of dark corruption can be quite vague. How much "corruption" would you consider enough for real redemption? One simplistic example I can think of is Osse, who was drawn to Melkor's side during the making of Arda, but afterwards was persuaded by Uinen to renounce Melkor.

I think the case of trying to undue dark corruption that we have the most info about is Frodo’s attempt to rehabilitate Gollum. The results seem to have been mixed, some success was seen but the redemption was not complete before Gollum hatched his little plan of luring them to Shelob, indicating Gollum had reverted back to his old ways. However, it seems the deck was really stacked against Gollum’s transformation in this case – wandering around the outskirts of Mordor, Nazgul flying overhead periodically, and all the corrupting influence of Sauron that emanated there. Also, Frodo himself was ever so slowly being bent towards the will of the Ring, which would obviously impede his ability to lead Gollum back to the good side. And of course it took years for Gollum to become what he was, and he had been that way for a few hundred years, so I would expect the rehabilitation would have required many years, not weeks or months.

If this attempt at redemption for Gollum would have been made somewhere far away from Mordor, with Frodo not inhibited by the Ring himself, and with the proper amount of time and some support from others, who knows if the results could have been different? It is an interesting question.

BTW, I find the Tolkien Gateway to be a very good resource!
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Experiment: place a baby orc in the care of Elves and see how it turns out.

(As I recall, Terry Pratchett did a similar experiment though obviously not with Elves as they're far more evil than Orcs)
    Last edited by BirdofHermes; May 31 2013 at 05:01 PM.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

Let me clear this up a bit.

An orc raised by elves will be a less evil orc, but still pretty evil.(They can't help it, its their nature)
    Last edited by Al.; May 31 2013 at 05:50 PM.

thanks for all the replies

I appreciate all of you taking time to answer.

Egorvlad, I didn't know there was any follower who had renounced Melkor so thanks for the info.

Wilros, it would have been interesting to see your question played out and I love the Tolkien Gateway too. I get my LOTR's geek on each time I go there. :P

BirdofHermes - Which Pratchett book was that?

Al. - I know Tolkien wrote Orcs that way but I can't believe that anything is truly born evil or good. I would like to think the nurture would win out of nature in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by rentavi View Post

Al. - I know Tolkien wrote Orcs that way but I can't believe that anything is truly born evil or good. I would like to think the nurture would win out of nature in this case.
    Its your opinion, I won't try to convince you other wise, just wanted to point it out.

Quote Originally Posted by rentavi View Post
    BirdofHermes - Which Pratchett book was that?
    Unseen Academicals.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]