We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hobbits groups in LOTRO --- thoughts.

I'm currently re-reading LOTR, and when reading the prologue bit which tells the reader about hobbits and their history, I found the following passages.
    1) ""The Stoors lingered long by the banks of the Great River Anduin, and were less shy of Men. They came West after the Harfoots and followed the course of the Loudwater southwards; and there many of them dwelt long between Tharbad and the borders of Dunland before they moved North again." ->LotR:FotR, prologue: concerning hobbits
    Now, I'm pretty confident about this one, that the Devs took this passage and lo and behold; they gave us the Hobbits in Enedwaith! I thought that was rather ingenious.
    2) "The Fallohides, the least numerous, were a northerly branch. They were more friendly with Elves than the other Hobbits were, and had more skill in language and song than in handicrafts; and of old they preferred hunting to tilling.They crossed the mountains North of Rivendell and came down the River Hoarwell." ->LotR:FotR, prologue: concerning hobbits
    This is a bit less obvious, but I'm still inclined to believe that the Devs took this passage and used it as the inspiration for the Hobbit village of Hoarhallow in the Ettenmoors. As the passage shows, the Fallohides came DOWN the river Hoarwell, but it would be entirely plausible that some of them could have given up the journey at some point and settled in what seemed to be a pleasant little isle surrounded by lovely green lands and forests.
    Does this sound plausible to anyone?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240000002126b0/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Geindir View Post
    I'm currently re-reading LOTR, and when reading the prologue bit which tells the reader about hobbits and their history, I found the following passages.
    1) ""The Stoors lingered long by the banks of the Great River Anduin, and were less shy of Men. They came West after the Harfoots and followed the course of the Loudwater southwards; and there many of them dwelt long between Tharbad and the borders of Dunland before they moved North again." ->LotR:FotR, prologue: concerning hobbits
    Now, I'm pretty confident about this one, that the Devs took this passage and lo and behold; they gave us the Hobbits in Enedwaith! I thought that was rather ingenious.
    2) "The Fallohides, the least numerous, were a northerly branch. They were more friendly with Elves than the other Hobbits were, and had more skill in language and song than in handicrafts; and of old they preferred hunting to tilling.They crossed the mountains North of Rivendell and came down the River Hoarwell." ->LotR:FotR, prologue: concerning hobbits
    This is a bit less obvious, but I'm still inclined to believe that the Devs took this passage and used it as the inspiration for the Hobbit village of Hoarhallow in the Ettenmoors. As the passage shows, the Fallohides came DOWN the river Hoarwell, but it would be entirely plausible that some of them could have given up the journey at some point and settled in what seemed to be a pleasant little isle surrounded by lovely green lands and forests.
    Does this sound plausible to anyone?
    I feel that it is plausible. As a fan of those little hobbits I've thought about this before and, ultimately, I like it. Such settlements are rare and hidden. This kind of thing happens in real-world migrations as well. Such long and arduous journeys could certainly make some would decide to put down roots in a seemingly suitable locale. I think it's a clever way to sprinkle some hobbits outside the Shire/Bree and give us something unexpected-which also goes along well with hobbits.
    Jeffaman-Guarding Hobbit Jeffro-Burgling Hobbit Tinulaurien-Elf Lore Master Cephus-Champion of Men Lilnooblet-Hunting Hobbit Jeffrandir-Snooty Elf Rune-keeper- All of Brandywine
    Long live the halflings! Praise them with great praise!
    RIP Nidor - Brandywine's bravest warrior