We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Cool RP wisdom and elves of Bree - welcoming info for new player on server of Laurelin

When you joined our server, hopefuly before making your first character we hope you will consider few things reagarding RP feature that is strong in this server and beloved dearly.

- When you decide you will try path of RP please consider to learn native customs, lore and rules.
    - LOTRO RP is very limitted, as world is build on dream of one man J.R.R. Tolkien. Please respect that limits if you want to call yourself a roleplayer.

- If you desire to play an elven race, please think twice if that will be your first touch with Laurelin RP Scene... Elven lore is huge and heavy for expert to comprehend, but with some basics it can be done, for that it is better you join one of wonderfull elven kinships that are ready to help out. ((Loth-i-lonnath, Warband of Imladris or Vanimar is one of few.)

- If you will be smart and decide to roll human RP character then you have much more ways to follow, bad, evil or neutral..no limits. Man race and dwarves are well traveled and hobbits were always good with man race and dwarves.

- Dont mind game quests and main story, that is not relevant for rp content. Dont make fool of yourself and claim you are stepson of Arangorn or something silly like that. If you play elven RP character please consider this:

- Elves were never seen in last 500 years in Bree, and every other town of men or hobbits.
    - ELves dont drink and cant be drunk (They taste savoury wines for taste not to get tipsy)
    - Elves dont like other races but they respect them. Well some of them. If i can say they most of them dont even
    think about men, hobbits or dwarves years and years and avoid any contact with them. They are happy or content
    to do their art..lore and defend borders from orcs.
    - There are evil elves well was long time ago.. and they became orcs under black hand of Morgoth, Saurons master.
    So if you play evil elf, criminal or something like that.. reconsider if you treasure art of great Tolkien a tiny bit.
    - So lets sum it.. if you dare to play elf, please dont spoil RP to others and pretend you are half elf or elf with feline blood or something like that. It is time Elves find their own "Prancing Pony" Yes.. quest take you over all eriador.. but that is not RP in its full.

- That is also a plea for developers of game to make elven "tavern" halls of fire like in Rivendel only in Ered Luin. That would help out that elves transfere from Pony to propper setting and so we can all enjoy good time.

- Rping elf is tough bussines so its better done carefuly, but also its so rewarding if we respect qualities of all races and their natural habitat. It is like wolfes living in chicken coop when you see elf in Pony. Or generaly RPing with man race such terrible ideas..and when such terrible ideas people follow.

If this post comes toward any of new or old players and grows we will see more good RP, rp in their natural habitat and with strong foundations.

Forgive me if i sound too..crude toward elves but it is bothering me too long.

Smile Well said

Good ideas and information. Also describes quite well why I don't play elves. Humans I have a grip on. Although if you know of any sites on the web that might assist those who would like to RP elves (anyone not just the OP) please do list them

Yes great suggestion i will expand my post soon with links and general ideas about lack of RP elven comuiting to their "natural habitat" I play both.. and enjoy both so much, why? Becouse every of them need their setting, places, background and people.

Currently i am playing half-orc girl. As a man race i can play such large range of character.. And that is fun!
    Who would think half-orc is so fun to play!!!

While I generally agree with the OP's comments I believe their definition of elven behavior is a little restricting. The first thing I disagree with is the statement that elves cannot get drunk, if you read the hobbit it states that while elves do have a strong resistance to the effects of alcohol they can get drunk. ( see Bilbos escape from the elves in Mirkwood )
    Also while elves are not evil they can behave badly with the full range of vices, greed, jealousy, envy and vanity ( plenty of examples in the Silmarillion.
    Trying to define the behavior of elves to rigidly risks turning them into two dimensional caricatures of what they were originally to be.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernStar View Post
    While I generally agree with the OP's comments I believe their definition of elven behavior is a little restricting. The first thing I disagree with is the statement that elves cannot get drunk, if you read the hobbit it states that while elves do have a strong resistance to the effects of alcohol they can get drunk. ( see Bilbos escape from the elves in Mirkwood )
    Also while elves are not evil they can behave badly with the full range of vices, greed, jealousy, envy and vanity ( plenty of examples in the Silmarillion.
    Trying to define the behavior of elves to rigidly risks turning them into two dimensional caricatures of what they were originally to be.
    I definetly agree on what you said, i know how rich with all its flaws, elven character can be, but i tryed to make it more simple for new players. With hope we wont see many assasin elves or cat-feline-elves cause no one told them it probably made Tolkien turn in his grave.

But generaly players should know why elves are so different and why they dont like lands of others races, except dwarwen forges, they do agree on craftsmanship with them and fine prospects from deeps. But generaly they dont bother with men, dwarves and hobbits, woven into their long lives and memories guarding still from and fearing what will come. Some are so lost in serving to forest that they became nothing more then spirits in forest in end.