We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Turgon, Gondolin and Morgoth

A passage from the Silmarillion:

"Now the thought of Morgoth dwelt ever upon Turgon; for Turgon had escaped him, of all his foes that one whom he most desired to take or to destroy. And that thought troubled him, and marred his victory, for Turgon of the mighty house of Fingolfin was now by right King of all the Noldor; and Morgoth feared and hated the house of Fingolfin, because they had the friendship of Ulmo his foe, and because of the wounds that Fingolfin gave him with his sword. And most of all his kin Morgoth feared Turgon; for of old in Valinor his eye had lighted upon him, and whenever he drew near a shadow had fallen on his spirit, foreboding that in some time that yet lay hidden, from Turgon ruin should come to him."
    Now, I don't quite understand why Turgon was so feared by Morgoth, especially when there are other members of the Noldor that are out there to worry about. This just had me thinking, was it actually Turgon or rather Gondolin that Morgoth actually feared?

My theory regarding the foreshadowings, I see it is that Morgoth was a fallen Valar and slowly he was losing his power. I guess this foreshadowing (some sort of sixth sense) was part of his initial power (supposely being the greatest of all the Valar) until it finally disappeared at a later stage.

Thoughts?
    [b]Condall Derimar of Dale,
    Friend of the Eagles[/b]
    [b]Community member since '03[/b]

Its simple, because Turgon was one of those elves that made him realize his eventual defeat (foreboding), in a way Turgon was a Champion of the Valar and an untired warrior against all evil, Morgoth is in essense a cruel and coward Vala
    Last edited by Al.; May 25 2013 at 02:59 PM.

Keep in mind that Gondolin was built in secret and no one knew where it was, not even the other Noldor. Only Hurin and Huor had knowledge where it was and they never revealed it to anyone (although Hurin inadvertanly let out a major clue as to it's general location). That led to the capture of Maeglin, etc.

Morgoth was slowly taking out the Noldor kingdoms. A hidden army, potentially in your backyard, is not good.
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

"And most of all his kin Morgoth feared Turgon; for of old in Valinor his eye had lighted upon him, and whenever he drew near a shadow had fallen on his spirit, foreboding that in some time that yet lay hidden, from Turgon ruin should come to him."

Ruin did come to Morgoth from Turgon, although indirectly. The marriage of his daughter Idril to Tuor produced their son, Turgon's grandson, Earendil. And Earendil's voyage was the catalyst for the War of Wrath which saw Morgoth's defeat.

Ceredig quoted precisely, that's why Morgoth was especially wary of Turgon.

Regarding Morgoth powers, no he did not lose such innate perception abilities, but he was essentially diluting his power all the time. He was investing his power into his works (armies, monsters, strongholds, etc.) thus becoming ever more dependent on them. Quite the same mistake Sauron later made with the One Ring. So compared to his former Ainur abilities he was in fact becoming ever weaker and weaker.
    Last edited by Egorvlad; May 26 2013 at 04:38 PM.

Turgon was also chosen by Melkor´s greatest Enemy, Ulmo. He was everytime against Morgoth and distrusted him everytime.