We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Rain of Arrows

Rain of Arrows

May I ask but how is rain of arrows in a group is only for use when people tell you to, why not whenever?

Quote Originally Posted by LeotheCool View Post
    May I ask but how is rain of arrows in a group is only for use when people tell you to, why not whenever?
    Rain of arrows is area of effect. If a group is trying to focus on a single enemy, rain of arrows often pulls other enemies in.

just 1 reason off the top of my head:

It breaks CC!

On any instance where tactics are used: watch it with RoA!!!
    On farmfest instances with multiple mobs(no CC): spam it

(CC=crowd-control=Stuns, mezzez, roots, fears etc)

Even if no CC is going on, Rain of Arrows is not going to be your go to skill in a rotation for a raid because you are very likely at some point to be pulling too much aggro from it.

With this skill you always crit (back to back even, if traited for it) and the last thing you want to pull multiple mobs down on you and be upsetting aggro management of tank or find yourself overwhelmed and needing heals - in which case good luck getting the mini's help...

Unless specifically directed to do it, which in that case is different. Solo pay skills are NOT going to be the same in a groups setting, so learn to adjust and roll with - you'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Souldan View Post
    Even if no CC is going on, Rain of Arrows is not going to be your go to skill in a rotation for a raid because you are very likely at some point to be pulling too much aggro from it.

With this skill you always crit (back to back even, if traited for it) and the last thing you want to pull multiple mobs down on you and be upsetting aggro management of tank or find yourself overwhelmed and needing heals - in which case good luck getting the mini's help...

Unless specifically directed to do it, which in that case is different. Solo pay skills are NOT going to be the same in a groups setting, so learn to adjust and roll with - you'll be fine
    Sometimes I'll use it situationally in a raid. If the tank goes down or is too far away and adds get on the healer I'll RoA to pull then kite them till the tank can gather them again. I used it as an emergency skill only in raids.

Don't listen to all the po faced "don't use it unless told" brigade!

Basicallly it's like a champ skill - best used in faceroll runs (Sammy/BOD) when your warden has pulled them into a nice group - 2 hunters at this point and it's a mincing machine.

If by any chance you over aggro it run TOWARDS the warden, stun the lot with COTH, wham in another ROA and then do a beneath notice.

Also lots of fun in instance raids especially Pony

Quote Originally Posted by LeotheCool View Post
    What level is your hunter right now? Maybe this is a big factor with low level groups but with high level ones it should not be a big deal in most situations. At lvl 85 my hunter runs tier 2 raids and in many of them, aoe dps is very important. Of course, once in a while when mezzing mobs is key, I make sure to do only single-target dps. But that is the exception rather than the rule. As long as you give a tank 5-10 seconds to get aggro, an average tank should be able to hold aggro through your dps (whether single or aoe) unless you as a hunter are both exceptionally well-geared and highly skilled. Of course, if you are pulling aggro, don't blame your tank and make them feel bad but switch to endurance stance and lay off slightly in the dps.

Rain of Arrows, when combined with the two hunter traits "Arrow Storm" and "Hail of Arrows" make for an extremely effective AoE skill. Even better if you can get the + targets legacy on your melee LI.
    [COLOR=Lime][SIZE=1]other favorite middle-earth related games: The One Ring RPG, published by Cubicle 7; LotR: The Card Game, published by FFG[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Precisely because of Arrow Storm and Hail of Arrows traiting + Legacies, you can literally spam AoE crits almost indefinitely. I have done it. In t2 raids trash that is fine, and yes... IF you need to pull trash off healers - that should go without saying.

To suggest that this is a skill that should be used in "most situations" however (let alone most situations when raiding...) is very misleading - especially so if the hunter is not particularly experienced at recovery, raids, or generally skilled in the class. Misuse leads to more trouble than it's worth. I have seen it happen too many times raiding when on my LM or captain, let alone on my own hunter when I was bringing him up.

The idea for OP is that this is indeed a very, very good skill, especially by higher levels when traited for it, but one which needs to be used with good judgement and timing to the situation.... something more hunters would do well to remember as also being part of the deal with most of their skills when in a group.

Yes we CAN go AoE... but we are NOT champs. Op, if you want to wildly AoE everything hair-on-fire-consequences-be-hanged, roll a champ and get it over with.... (though even for them, death is near if they don't actually know how to manage AoE either as it is an integral part of the class...).

As for the "run to the tank" recommendations from other poster, those are NOT going to resolve aggro pulls if you are using RoA willy-nilly-ad nauseaum. All you will do is cause wipes and earn your "&&&&&&&" title :P

Yes - crit chaining Rain of Arrows can be devastating. But by and large its best used solo and skirmishes like Pony and the Ford where you can stand well back and have the charging mobs drop dead before they reach you.

Unless a raid specifically needs this skill then I find I'm better of respeccing towards single target damage.

RoA should be used in all group content with multiple mobs. It gives much better dps than any single target dps'er could ever achieve. That means you are helping your group more.

The only trick to it is to make sure your tank has aggro on all mobs. If you are going to RoA spam, give the tank a few seconds before starting. When they use aggro skills on a mob, or group of mobs, the aggroed mobs will show red arrows above their heads. Wait until you see an aoe aggro skill, which means all of the mobs will have the red arrows for a second. You won't take aggro from the tank after they have established it. Your RoA just doesn't do enough damage per target.

This is only really true for current level cap content though. If you are doing something like ToO, where your raid will actually have to CC stuff, you won't want to use any aoe skills near the CC'ed mobs.

Edit: There are a few boss fights(OE, Fornost Earth, and Glinghant) where you have to kill the boss before the adds die. You won't want to use RoA in these at certain times. For OE, you can use it in the last fight until one/all the sourceress' are low on health. With Fornost Earth, you don't want to use it at all until the main boss is dead, then use it on the adds. In Glinghant, you want to get the boss really low, then start using RoA so the adds die soon after the boss.
    Last edited by Cirgellon; May 30 2013 at 05:34 PM.