We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wildermore Weather Disappointment (Potential Spoilers)

Is anyone else bummed that it's STILL winter here, after Nurzum has been killed? It makes no sense. He was what was causing the unseasonable cold, and now he's defeated. Things should return to normal now, but they haven't.

Was anyone else expecting things to go back to normal when Nurzum was eradicated?

I think that would be an amazing transformation. However, I think it would require a degree of phasing that the game simply can't currently support.

There are hints here and there in the game that Turbine had greater ambitions for Wildermore which were never quite realized, either due to time, budget, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    It makes no sense. He was what was causing the unseasonable cold, and now he's defeated.
    Actually, he was carrying something that was causing the unseasonable cold, and it's still there. Seems reasonable to me.

MoL

Plus you cannot change the ambient temperature, accumulated snowfall, Iced over ponds, etc over night. It takes time to reset things to normal.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#00ff00]Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life, but to take what we have and make cat ears for cute girls to wear[/COLOR][/SIZE] [COLOR=#b22222]Toshirat R8 BA, Nerfbatzergrat R7 Reaver, Arliknakh R6warg[/COLOR][COLOR=#add8e6], Mihall 100Captain, Tarhigen 100LM, Kalaeya 95RK,Sume 85Champ, Theophilea 85Warden, Toboe 65Hunter, Cheza 40Burg, Koriana 40Guard, Kumako 16 Beorning
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    Actually, he was carrying something that was causing the unseasonable cold, and it's still there. Seems reasonable to me.
    MoL
    A pity we did not get a fragment of this thing as a reward for final epic quest. Would be cool to have a mini snowstorm everywhere we go...

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    Well then I guess Wildermore hasn't been saved at all. It's doomed to be a frozen wasteland forervermore...

Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    Well then I guess Wildermore hasn't been saved at all.
    I don't know for sure how much of this comes across in the completed region, but during some of our early planning meetings this was sort of the point.

MoL

Besides, unless I TOTALLY misunderstood the Final Stand... Nurzum was frozen in place. If Wildermore went back to normal he would thaw out and start all over. Never-ending cycle of thaw > ice > thaw > ice with a liberal dosing of mega-monster destruction. Talk about instability for the people of Wildermore. At least if it stays cold with Nurzum frozen they can adapt and continue living their lives as best they can.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Most of the towns are wrecked and depopulated - most all of the survivors have moved to Forlaw. And the snow doesn't seem to be effecting the Fallows much, no more than it is the portion of the Wold that borders it. So as long as they leave the far towns to their fate and just live at winter's edge, they should be fine?

"Life is 10% what you make it, and 90% how you take it." - Irving Berlin
    MirkwoodIsengardLOTRO-Wiki

Also, couldn't there be more "shards" like the one that (*SPOILERS*) Saruman placed in Dunfast? I understood that to be connected to Núrzum's artifact in some way. Even if Núrzum were defeated and his artifact destroyed (the latter of which I understand doesn't actually occur during the quest line), any pieces of the artifact left in Wildermore could continue affecting the weather.

The real victory is that Núrzum is prevented from spreading the cold any further into Rohan or other lands.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

You all make good points. I guess I just dislike cold/winter, and had hopes that things would thaw off. The story led me to believe, at least somewhat, that the goal was to save Wildermore not just from Nurzum and his attacks, but also from the cold.

Beautiful region anyway. I absolutely LOVE the High Knolls area in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    I think that would be an amazing transformation. However, I think it would require a degree of phasing that the game simply can't currently support.

Let's talk about world-building for bit, shall we?

When Turbine's coders build zones for LOTRO, they do so in stages. One of the first* stages is the landscape. Someone uses a program to carve valleys, raise hills, and basically shape the ground. Tall cliffs, riverbeds, and most of the basic natural features you see when you're roaming around in Middle-earth are shaped this way. The important thing to remember is that, for the most part, this is 1 object: "solid ground." It is composed of many polygons that are stitched together at the seams, but they create 1 single object. Each polygon has a graphic laid upon it to make it resemble a ground-like surface, and all the polygons are coordinated so that all the features that you see are contiguous. This makes it so that you can see transitions between rocky terrain, grassy knolls, and snowy drifts instead of seeing the sharp creases between polygons.

After the terrain surface is sculpted, other objects are placed upon it. (Technically speaking, they are made to look like they rest "upon" it, but most of these objects do not observe the same "gravity" that our characters do. If the terrain were to suddenly fall away, the objects would remain "floating" where they were placed. This is why you see things like floating ore nodes, berry bushes, etc. Likely, someone placed an object on the terrain, and then someone later moved the terrain.) Some of these objects resemble parts of the landscape, but in reality, they are separate objects. (The bug that was recently fixed where there was a big, invisible object on the landscape? A large rock that was not "colored" correctly.) Big rocks, waterfalls, buildings, etc. fall in this category. These are basically more complex objects that are needed to make the terrain more interesting. The outside of the Wyrmdelf in the Entwash Vale area is a prime example, as is most of Hytbold. Without all the extra boulders placed around the it, the Wyrmdelf would simply be a sheer, flat cliff with a hole in it. And Hytbold would be very boring indeed if there were no, well, Hytbold. All of the buildings and the walls that line the pathways are these kinds of objects.

So, as it relates to this discussion, what's the difference? The latter can be phased. The former cannot. Hytbold was/is actually a massive implementation of the phasing technology. Prior to Hytbold, I think only NPC's were phased in and out. (NPC's are another kind of object, like rocks and houses, but NPC's have special characteristics that allow them to interact with characters and move.) Hytbold was really a major milestone in the development of the phasing technology, taking phasing to the HNL (Ho' nutha' level).

So why can't the terrain be phased? Well... technically speaking, it can be. Financially speaking... well... that's a different story. You see, it takes an incredible amount of electrical power and processing capability to render the world that we do see. It would take a prohibitively-expensive amount more to be able to phase the whole terrain, and the end result would not have the slightest effect on game-play. It would only look pretty; it wouldn't serve any functional purpose. It WOULD be amazing for immersion, but the expense would outweigh any immersive benefits.

But what about layering? Can't that technology be leveraged? Possibly. The problem is phasing itself. Phasing and layering haven't exactly been the best of friends. Remember when you could walk into Hytbold and not see anything of the Mead Hall (except the door)? It's because you were in a layer in which the Mead Hall "forgot" to phase in! The Rescue in Cuthbald's Farm bug? Phasing and Layering. The NPC with the quest ring was in the wrong phase in some layers (or all but one). Phasing and layering just don't play very nice together... yet.

However, I think once the kinks are worked out between phasing and layering, we may soon see a zone in which the entire terrain changes depending on your progress in the epic. And I know a zone in which the whole terrain NEEDS to change depending on your progress in the epic, or perhaps depending on which side you enter it: Isengard.

Oh... have I spoiled something?

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

* = The terrain doesn't necessarily have to be sculpted first, but it does provide a nice way for people to plan out where to place other things like cities, quest hubs, and instance portals. It would be a bit like trying to draw a tree by starting with the leaves. Kinda hard to place them without a trunk and branches. Not impossible, but not easy.
    Last edited by PerfectApproach; May 23 2013 at 08:31 PM.
    [CENTER]While you burn at the stake, I dance with the flames. I take what you love and leave you in tears. I am relentless, unpredictable, and waiting for your last breath.
    [/CENTER]

If we're stuck with bad weather could ya enable ice wine there? I've been carrying some around forever and I was kinda disappointed it didn't work to dispel the chill.
    [I][FONT=Verdana]"[B]The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.[/B]"[/FONT][/I] [SIZE=1]~ Bedouin Proverb[/SIZE]

Unhappy

Yeah, I guess I was expecting a bit more from this area than was delivered. Not that I feel cheated or anything, it is a nice area. Like I said, I just dislike snow/cold regions (I'd hoped this would be a new "hub" region for me, but with the snow that's not likely, I'll probably stick with Snowbourn or Bree), and I was invested in the story of saving a region from the freeze. That instanced quest that showed the area before the snow came really got my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Oraekja View Post
    If we're stuck with bad weather could ya enable ice wine there? I've been carrying some around forever and I was kinda disappointed it didn't work to dispel the chill.
    Yeah, good point.

Frankly, as much as I welcome new content, Wildermore is my least favorite new zones this far. Even though the cold weather is justified by a very well-written story, I just CAN. NOT. GET. OUT. of my head that there's not supposed to be a freezing winter there according to Tolkien lore. From various places in Wildermore you can see Limlight River, Wold, Fangorn Forest and they all look like they SHOULD according to Tolkien's lore. Limlight Glade, Limlight Gorge, the Cuhstan, Stangard, Eaorlsmead, Ost Celebrant, Harwick, Langhold, Norcrofts, Cliving, Entwash Vale are all Turbine-invented names and/or locales, but they fit in established lore very well and there's no shame in showcasing them to non-players as example of LOTRO beauty. Wildermore is... out of place and I just cannot get over it.

We can only hope that after March 25th the force giving power to this relic goes away or something.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000000704a/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Well some folks like the snow and others give it the cold shoulder... but basically during brainstorming sessions, we saw an opportunity to do something different with a chunk of land that was not heavily defined in the lore. This is the wilder, more extreme Wold. This is the highland area that is less travelled and less protected. This is where bad things happen and those below don't even realize because they are so cut off from the rest of Rohirric society. It really gave us a chance to take a break from the many grassy fields of Rohan. You will get more greenery in the West, that is for sure! So fear not.

As for phasing, such tech is not intended for large chunks of landscape and I believe that on the other hand, some players would miss the snowy region of Rohan if it suddenly melted away!

Quote Originally Posted by Drachyn View Post
    Well some folks like the snow and others give it the cold shoulder... but basically during brainstorming sessions, we saw an opportunity to do something different with a chunk of land that was not heavily defined in the lore. This is the wilder, more extreme Wold. This is the highland area that is less travelled and less protected. This is where bad things happen and those below don't even realize because they are so cut off from the rest of Rohirric society. It really gave us a chance to take a break from the many grassy fields of Rohan. You will get more greenery in the West, that is for sure! So fear not.

As for phasing, such tech is not intended for large chunks of landscape and I believe that on the other hand, some players would miss the snowy region of Rohan if it suddenly melted away!
    I don't want to come across as griping, because I don't think you guys get even a sliver of the appreciation and praise you deserve. I think it's cool that you guys came up with a creative story for bringing some terrain variety into the region, and as I said before it beautifully done. I can't say enough about the High Knolls. Whoever did that area in particular has achieved something really stellar.

Also, I like to have a wintry cosmetic outfit for all my characters, and this does give me a higher level region to wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectApproach View Post
    So, as it relates to this discussion, what's the difference? The latter can be phased. The former cannot.
    There are cases where the terrain has been edited and you can see both versions in game. In skirmishes that happen at a place that you can visit in the open world, the terrain is made slightly differently to block routes in and out, or for gameplay purposes. Easy to see in the Bree skirmishes, where the layout is much different now after the latest Bree revamp, while the skirmishes themselves keep the old layout with buildings, hill shapes, etc.
    However, I think once the kinks are worked out between phasing and layering, we may soon see a zone in which the entire terrain changes depending on your progress in the epic. And I know a zone in which the whole terrain NEEDS to change depending on your progress in the epic, or perhaps depending on which side you enter it: Isengard.<br>
    The could perfectly have two versions of Isengard with no new technology needed. We have currently one Isengard in the Eriador "world". They would just need to add the other Isengard to the Rhovanion "world".

The only gripe I have with the LANDSCAPE of Wildermore (as opposed to the bugged quests) is that the short pine trees in the Balewood play hell with camera angles. I don't mind them getting in the way of warsteeds - it's dense forest after all - but I do mind having to switch my camera around all the time and accidentally attack mobs I had no intention of fighting.
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Not really contributing to this thread, but I need to write this

For a person as myself loving Misty Mountains and Forochel, Wildermore is absolutely stunning as it is! I actually feared that that snow would melt once the epic story in the region concluded.

Seeing it didn't I did happy flips in the livingroom and went and got myself a bit tipsy in the local bar with LotRO buddies

Z.
    Lifetime subscriber since 2007

Quote Originally Posted by FromgalTheMinstrel View Post
    There are cases where the terrain has been edited and you can see both versions in game. In skirmishes that happen at a place that you can visit in the open world, the terrain is made slightly differently to block routes in and out, or for gameplay purposes. Easy to see in the Bree skirmishes, where the layout is much different now after the latest Bree revamp, while the skirmishes themselves keep the old layout with buildings, hill shapes, etc.The could perfectly have two versions of Isengard with no new technology needed. We have currently one Isengard in the Eriador "world". They would just need to add the other Isengard to the Rhovanion "world".
    About Isengard, I believe it would be this as well. There probably will be two Isengards next to each other. If you look closely to the lorebook map, you see that Eriador and Rhovanion don't fit well together. The whole of Rhovanion is shifted to the right. Lothlorien doesn't touch Moria and the various pieces of Fangorn in don't match. When the map finally was updated, the Anduin was also shifted on that map, to match the content layed upon it. Also if you look at the Rhovanion map ingame, you will see the arrow much farther to the right it is supposed to.

How far is it shifted? Enough to add another copy of Isengard and Dol Amroth in between. No need to use phasing technology on a whole landscape. And if you want, you can travel back in time, to finish lvl 75 quests inside the old Isengard. The gate at the Eriador Isengard could become a teleport like we currently have between the Shire and Ered Luin.
    Last edited by DobbelB_EU; May 24 2013 at 07:30 AM.
    Dobric 100 guardian Dobs 101 burglar Dorblin 64 runekeeper Dobli 37 minstrel Dimbli 20 champion Dobriel 20 loremaster Dabeldor 23 captain Dobegar 21 hunter Dobebrand 21 warden Dobeorn 23 beorning | Moved from Snowbourn and Gilrain to Laurelin

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi108 View Post
    I just CAN. NOT. GET. OUT. of my head that there's not supposed to be a freezing winter there according to Tolkien lore. [...] Wildermore is... out of place and I just cannot get over it.
    There isn't very much in the Tolkien lore about this area, and as for bad guys that come out and do nasty stuff -- Turbine has made those guys up since this game began. If the whole landscape is peachy and full of nice people, what is the point? We know that Sauron had his fingers in almost everyone's pies, but the lore never went into detail about a LOT of thos, which means that Turbine and others must fill in the blanks as best they can.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    There isn't very much in the Tolkien lore about this area, and as for bad guys that come out and do nasty stuff -- Turbine has made those guys up since this game began. If the whole landscape is peachy and full of nice people, what is the point? We know that Sauron had his fingers in almost everyone's pies, but the lore never went into detail about a LOT of thos, which means that Turbine and others must fill in the blanks as best they can.
    I am very much aware and I'm not whining. Just stating my personal opinion, that's all.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000000704a/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

There are cases where the terrain has been edited and you can see both versions in game.
    This is true. We do make copies of smaller areas (versus a full region) for certain purposes but the extras tend to be out in the middle of nowhere rather than part of a seamless world. The issue with Wildermore would be keeping it seamless. The way the landscape is designed, well there's no single pathway into it, which makes it harder to control access. In other places, this was more possible.

Not to mention, it would take us quite a bit of extra time to create a fully green version, delaying the update significiantly... and um... it took forever to place all those icicles you know! Just one more house... one more house needs icicles no wait there's more over here and that tower and the other thing and the stuff nooooo! O_O I mean... that's cool... if you don't like icicles anymore *tear* I didn't mind when Nurzum knocked my snowman over either... I mean, that's fine... if you feel that way. We're cool.

The could perfectly have two versions of Isengard with no new technology needed.
    We actually have several copies of the Orthanc area already For instance, the lovely green version from the epic books. As for whether maps will mesh up better in the future, I don't personally know yet. I'm not in charge of top level cartography!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast