We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Destiny Point -> Mithril Coin Converter

Non VIPs (and possibly some VIPs) are sitting on a ton of Destiny Points that we're not (can't) use. So my idea is a permanent account-wide converter for that pool, and the ongoing DP we pick up at each level.

Benefit to us: Supply some Mithril Coins reliably over time and a bunch up front. TP grinding players get additional source of MC.

Benefit to Turbine: Big upfront expenditure of TP by players (I don't know if this is the 5000TP item we were asked some time ago to suggest, but I would envision a larger price point than the currently available MC packs). Ongoing "taste of" MC goodness to get us hooked on their use.

As it would permanently convert away DP, perhaps the current DP buffs could be made available for MC, if the converter has been purchased. This would give VIPs who do use DP currently a reason to buy it, too.

The problem with this idea is that Mithril Coins have a Approximate Retail Value in cents - say 10 Mithril Coins = 1 penny. An accountant is going to ask how many destiny points are stored in the database. They are going to get some huge number like 10 billion which converts to 1 billion cents --> 10 million dollars. No way.

This is the same kind calculation Turbine did when F2P arrived. Some accountant asked for how many completed deeds of each type that award Turbine Points in the database. 1 penny per Turbine Point. Came us some crazy number in millions or 10 millions of dollars. There will be no retroactive award of Turbine Points.

A lot of companies do these kind of calculations periodically. If the company has a frequent flier or something program, they will occasionally everybody's wallets to flush the unused money down the toilet. One of the companies I worked at decide that they would not let us carry over vacation. They would no longer pay for unused vacation. At the end of the year - if you couldn't due to business reasons or didn't use your vacation you lost it. They also made a bunch of our vacation as on usable while still at the company. You quit - you lost it. You got laid off - you lost it. You wanted to be safe - You needed to use your vacation in January or February.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; May 22 2013 at 10:58 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    The problem with this idea is that Mithril Coins have a Approximate Retail Value in cents - say 10 Mithril Coins = 1 penny.
    The approximate retail value is closer to 10 pennies = 1 Mithril Coin (MC) given that one of the popular bundles of Mithril Coin runs about 10 Turbine Points (TP) per MC (250 TP for 25 MC - though it can vary from 13 TP to 8.5 TP based on the bundle size). While there are sales and they give bonus TP in bundles of TP lets use the value of 1 penny = 1 TP (see the 5,000 TP bundle in the LOTRO Market Place for $49.99).

There has also been a conversion of items and services available in-game that were purchasable with in-game Silver. Now these conversions have varied widely (and do not take into account any discounts provided by Reputation Faction discounts, the Writ of Customer's Favour, the Favour of the North-downs Pocket item, or Housing Neighborhood Vendor Discounts).

Alternative cost conversions of in-game Silver to usage of MC can run from:
    1 Silver per, for Swift Travel (in Starter Areas)
    6.67 Silver per, for Dye Wash in Lalia's Market (20s = 3 MC)
    14 - 16.5 Silver per, for Weekly Housing Upkeep
    50s per, for Swift Travel in the Eastemnet and beyond

Now that in-game coin 'conversion'/alternative was for a finite and discrete item or service. Destiny Points are not. They were removed as the reward for Ettenmoors achievements in Update 6 and replaced with Commendations (See http://archive.lotro.com/gameinfo/de...eveloper-diary for that change). At the time there was great discussion about what to do with those Destiny Points, some 'professional' PvMPers were sitting literally 300K Destiny Points and more (I have about 50K on my VIP account mostly obtained through leveling 10 Characters but some also from quests before they removed that also in Update 6).

Given reserves in those quantities Turbine is NEVER going to convert them to MC; they would be in the same situation as they were before the release of Update 10 with Seals (people were sitting on reserves of thousands if not tens of thousands of Seals). Because they were afraid that leaving them would provide people with gobs of barter coin to buy the new Erebor Armour sets and Tarnished Symbols of the Elder King pretty much right out of the gate they converted all of those to Medallions to facilitate the next round of grinding.

If they were not going to allow Seals to remain from the past, which only affected in-game barter as those items had no real money value, do you think that they are going to actually reduce the amount of real money transactions (through the surrogate TP) that they could make? Providing MC as Hobbit Present awards is definitely doable as they have calculated the odds of that award vis-a-vis TP>MC expenditures. Providing it for uncontrollable amounts of Destiny Points is, in their calculations, not doable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymore View Post
    The approximate retail value is closer to 10 pennies = 1 Mithril Coin (MC) given that one of the popular bundles of Mithril Coin runs about 10 Turbine Points (TP) per MC (250 TP for 25 MC .
    Warner Brothers set the Approximate Retail Value of a Turbine Point to 1 penny in 1099 Income statement for one thousand dollars when they gave someone 100,000 Turbine Points in a contest. Thanks to this 1099 we have a ARV for a Turbine Point. That way we can calculate an ARV for a Mithril Coin. Everybody like easy numbers.

We go with 10 pennies for a Mithril Coin. It makes it even less likely that there would conversion of Destiny Points to Mithril Coins. I have well over 200,000 Destiny Points. Even at 1,000 Destiny Points per Mithril Coin that works out to be 200 Mithril Coins or 2,000 pennies or 20 dollars. That is not happening. I can't image Turbine would accept 100,000 Destiny Points for a Mithril Coin or even a Turbine Point.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Please, no.

Destiny Points are one of the very few perks that VIPs actually still have. If someone has a bunch of DP and can't spend them because he's not a subscriber, too bad - tell him to subscribe.

Let's not give Turbine ideas about how to further devalue the VIP subscrption.