We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I've just refreshed my fading memory by googling pictures of Arwen (guessing the movies are close to the books). She wears a lot of different clothes, depending on the occasion, but none of them has a turtleneck...

I really don't wanna see chain mail bikinis in lotro. They're not lore and if you wanna go with a realistic looking setting they're plain bs (I admit, I always start laughing when I see any female warriors wearing that kind of stuff, no matter if it's in a game or on a picture or on a market. I think a real warrior wouldn't get very old wearing that kind of stuff - hey, maybe that's the reason we only see young girls in it?).

But there's a lot of moving room between a chainmail bikini and a turtleneck dress.

Personally for my characters I like them to wear proper armour when out in the field. Protective, solid, flexible enough to move in it (especially for my huntress). But that doesn't mean that my girls don't like to dress up a little when they're in town for relaxing. Ya know - getting rid of all that smelly and dirty armour, taking a long, hot bath, getting the mud out of their hair, and afterwards dressing into something comfortable that makes them remember for a change that they're female. That doesn't mean "skimpy" clothing, but a proper neckline on a dress like in the following picture would be totally alright for me.

And I'm not an adolescent young boy, I'm a middle-aged grown woman that could very well have grown-up kids herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dworin View Post
    Which, of course, explains the finery of the female Angmarim robes with the plunging neckline.
    They're EVIL!
    I distinctly remember seeing a dress on someone standing around in forlaw that did show alot of cleavage, i figure it was one of the festival outfits but i have no clue which one.
    Nothing here matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowellan View Post
    I've just refreshed my fading memory by googling pictures of Arwen (guessing the movies are close to the books). She wears a lot of different clothes, depending on the occasion, but none of them has a turtleneck...

I really don't wanna see chain mail bikinis in lotro. They're not lore and if you wanna go with a realistic looking setting they're plain bs (I admit, I always start laughing when I see any female warriors wearing that kind of stuff, no matter if it's in a game or on a picture or on a market. I think a real warrior wouldn't get very old wearing that kind of stuff - hey, maybe that's the reason we only see young girls in it?).

But there's a lot of moving room between a chainmail bikini and a turtleneck dress.

Personally for my characters I like them to wear proper armour when out in the field. Protective, solid, flexible enough to move in it (especially for my huntress). But that doesn't mean that my girls don't like to dress up a little when they're in town for relaxing. Ya know - getting rid of all that smelly and dirty armour, taking a long, hot bath, getting the mud out of their hair, and afterwards dressing into something comfortable that makes them remember for a change that they're female. That doesn't mean "skimpy" clothing, but a proper neckline on a dress like in the following picture would be totally alright for me.

And I'm not an adolescent young boy, I'm a middle-aged grown woman that could very well have grown-up kids herself.

They're out there, dresses with proper necklines, I have a few myself. But none that I saw in the market. I found the market clothing to be a little disappointing in the dress area, and the robes especially. I have a few dresses with necklines like the above, and the tattered dress has a sweetheart neckline. I think most of us reacted to the OP's line "...ok a lot more skin", which sounds like a request for the infamous chainmail bikini and the like.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    I(guessing the movies are close to the books)

What sorcery is this? A movie like a book!?
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

"Boo!" to female elven hunters who enter the combat field in a white dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    "Boo!" to female elven hunters who enter the combat field in a white dress.
    Any character on the combat field in a white dress would be out of place... apart from the fact that said dress wouldn't stay very white for very long.

Actually I still doubt the sense of wearing robes too. All that fabric just gets in the way when you have to move quickly. What the heck is wrong with wearing sturdy pants, even for the light-armour classes?

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Thor View Post
    Can we lower the market appeal to someone in their 30's not 80 pls? Love the look of my grey robe except for the turtle neck. Can we see a bit more skin...ok a lot more skin. Your dresses are HOT but these new items are so prude. Would like to buy more cosmetics but the rest would appeal to my mother more.
    Again, since so many here appear to have not even read the original post...

The OP DID NOT ASK FOR SKIMPY CLOTHES

The op simply asked that the specific NEW clothes items they had seen appeal to someone in their 30s more.
    They did NOT mention any dissatisfaction with the way clothes in LOTRO looked in general.
    They asked for a lot more skin than a turtle neck, which would not necessarily be all that much in total.
    They said they loved the look of their ROBE. That hardly sounds like someone who wants a mini skirt!
    They were happy with the way the current dresses looked.
    They were ONLY commenting on a few specific NEW items that had been introduced at the market at the time. "these new items"
    They were only talking about the neckline, on the specific ROBE THAT THEY BOUGHT.

The op was simply apparently frustrated and had some unfortunate word choices which some of us choose to overreact to and interpret as if he/she wanted something absurd.

Nowhere did op mention any of the following:

"chain mail bikinis"
    "scantily clad " characters
    "skimpy clothing"
    "digital cleavage"
    "naked flesh"
    "skimpy armour"
    the "flying thong sorceress"
    items for women to wear in a Bree "red light district"
    "plunging necklines and showing loads of skin"
    "armor that just barely covers their bodies"

That ALL came from the imagination of the responders here. What on earth are you folks thinking about?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Jeez, man, back in the year 1000 (which would be rather closer to what Tolkien described when asked) they didn't go in for plunging necklines and showing loads of skin. Wise up.
    As far as what people wore in the @500-1300 time period, many people then were lucky to HAVE a set of clothes.
    What clothes they did have were usually passed down to family members, sometimes over and over.

Most were not as worried about how covered or non-covered they were, as they were more worried about having any clothes at all and about having something to eat from one day to the next.

How realistic do you need to be? Shall we all wear horrible smelly drab non-colorful things with threads hanging off because in the reference time period clothing was worn for decades?

Should all hobbits wear predominantly red and green?

You could add realism to the game to the point that it would be completely unenjoyable. Maybe your character shouldn't rez next time you die? Did people come back to life often in the books? In the 1000s?

Op's comments should have been taken within the context of the game and not the context of whatever moral issue some posters have with society in general. Op wanted a change on some specific new items. That is what should have been discussed in this thread - those specific items - instead of the thread being derailed by panic that somehow, some mysterious way, the game would morph into eye candy for the hormonally-challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by EmyrSelyf View Post
    As far as what people wore in the @500-1300 time period, many people then were lucky to HAVE a set of clothes.
    We're not playing peasants, are we? The point was a simple one: no plunging necklines or showing a lot of skin, because people wouldn't. And the OP did ask for 'a lot more skin'. Well sorry, no. What best fits the setting is something attractive but at least halfway believable, semi-realistic rather than the usual outright fantasy outfits.

Ceremonial dress, Elf-queen dress, elegant formal dress, anniversary dress (called revelers something or other), the summer festival dress, and many others, all have what you might consider a 'proper' neckline. Elf-queen probably gets closest to the look in the picture you posted.

I'm not a fan of that turtleneck robe that the OP mentioned for my female characters, but robes are unisex items. Maybe that one looks better on a male character. At any rate, there are lots and lots of cosmetic options in this game, including robes, that offer a wide range of looks that could appeal to any race or gender. A great many of them are obtainable in game for no RL cash at all (including items that are sold at Lalia's Market--research before you spend real money!). The cosmetics section of the forums has some very creative minds who are actively involved in designing outfits and making suggestions, so anyone looking for more traditionally feminine looks in armour, dresses, or robes could probably get some very good advice there. Just because one robe is ugly doesn't mean there aren't other great options out there.

My current cosmetic complaint: I can't have the NPC dresses from Rohan/Wildermore: NOT FAIR!

Again, since so many here appear to have not even read the original post...

The OP DID NOT ASK FOR SKIMPY CLOTHES

The op simply asked that the specific NEW clothes items they had seen appeal to someone in their 30s more.
    They did NOT mention any dissatisfaction with the way clothes in LOTRO looked in general.
    They asked for a lot more skin than a turtle neck, which would not necessarily be all that much in total.
    They said they loved the look of their ROBE. That hardly sounds like someone who wants a mini skirt!
    They were happy with the way the current dresses looked.
    They were ONLY commenting on a few specific NEW items that had been introduced at the market at the time. "these new items"
    They were only talking about the neckline, on the specific ROBE THAT THEY BOUGHT.

The op was simply apparently frustrated and had some unfortunate word choices which some of us choose to overreact to and interpret as if he/she wanted something absurd.

"chain mail bikinis"
    "skimpy clothing"
    "digital cleavage"
    "naked flesh"
    "skimpy armour"

That ALL came from the imagination of the responders here. What on earth are you folks thinking about?!?

What clothes they did have were usually passed down to family members, sometimes over and over.

Most were not as worried about how covered or non-covered they were, as they were more worried about having any clothes at all and about having something to eat from one day to the next.

How realistic do you need to be? Shall we all wear horrible smelly drab non-colorful things with threads hanging off because in the reference time period clothing was worn for decades?

Should all hobbits wear predominantly red and green?

You could add realism to the game to the point that it would be completely unenjoyable. Maybe your character shouldn't rez next time you die? Did people come back to life often in the books? In the 1000s?

Op's comments should have been taken within the context of the game and not the context of whatever moral issue some posters have with society in general. Op wanted a change on some specific new items. That is what should have been discussed in this thread - those specific items - instead of the thread being derailed by panic that somehow, some mysterious way, the game would morph into eye candy for the hormonally-challenged.
    Well said. But as I have said before there is no winning this discussion. There are a significant number of folks playing this game who not only want to control how they dress their character, but also how you dress your character, in spite of the fact that more revealing outfits exist in the game. And it's fine that NPC's wear them but may it never be that players ever wear them. The thought process perplexes me. It's not (so far as I can tell) that people want to replace what's presently available, rather that other outfits be available in addition to what presently exists. But whatever.
    Estellost, loving husband of the wonderful Shinarra

"chain mail bikinis"
    "skimpy clothing"
    "digital cleavage"
    "naked flesh"
    "skimpy armour"

Those are just the stock phrases that come up in topics like this these days. I think they may all be auto generated by an app.

Anyway, it seems kind of silly to me that there's a lack of practical light clothing that shows skin, yet heavy plate for women can have ridiculous, impractical chests on them. Bikinis would be out of place, but so are armors that are apparently made of magical metal latex. Or are they like a one size fits all cod piece fashion?

If we're gonna talk realism, I imagine that if my captain tried to swim somewhere she could wear the default clothing all characters have, sink to the bottom and drown trying to wear a heavy cloth outfit that is afraid of showing too much neck, or die on the way to go swimming because of her nonsensical heavy armor design. Not even from an orc attack or anything, I think tripping on a rock while wearing the chestplate of the gallant commander could be fatal.

Well said. But as I have said before there is no winning this discussion. There are a significant number of folks playing this game who not only want to control how they dress their character, but also how you dress your character,
    In as much as there are apparently plenty of people who don't want the sort of outfits which show 'lots more skin', damn straight. How are they supposed to express a preference? Trying to spin that as 'control' is desperate.

in spite of the fact that more revealing outfits exist in the game. And it's fine that NPC's wear them but may it never be that players ever wear them. The thought process perplexes me. It's not (so far as I can tell) that people want to replace what's presently available, rather that other outfits be available in addition to what presently exists. But whatever.
    What some few NPCs may wear is neither here nor there - there's a hell of a difference between that and such outfits being seen all over the place on player-characters. If that perplexes you, you're really not even trying.

Well said. But as I have said before there is no winning this discussion. There are a significant number of folks playing this game who not only want to control how they dress their character, but also how you dress your character, in spite of the fact that more revealing outfits exist in the game. And it's fine that NPC's wear them but may it never be that players ever wear them. The thought process perplexes me. It's not (so far as I can tell) that people want to replace what's presently available, rather that other outfits be available in addition to what presently exists. But whatever.
    I really don't think the issue is that people want to dictate clothing based on some kind of moral code. Honestly, if somebody wants to RP a brigand, I would have no issue with that player having access to the currently available npc brigand wear. If something exists in the game, I don't really have a problem with it (although once people are allowed to dress like a bat-chick, I'm avoiding Bree for the rest of my days--vampire rp is really not my thing, but to each his own).

What I'm concerned about preserving is a feeling of Middle-earth as Tolkien envisioned it, which is why I play this game. I have a sexy warrior in Guild Wars clad in a metal bikini. I'm a 43-yr-old mom, and I have to admit I like imagining I look like her . But that's not what I want to see here--for me personally, my time in this game is about giving life to Tolkien's amazing female characters, whether described as wearing gowns or armour, always beautiful and strong, not 'sexy' in modern pop culture terms. As long as we stay away from items that would never under any circumstances would have been worn in Tolkien's Middle-earth, I see room for lots of different ideas.

In as much as there are apparently plenty of people who don't want the sort of outfits which show 'lots more skin', damn straight. How are they supposed to express a preference? Trying to spin that as 'control' is desperate.
    It is control. "I don't want to see you dressed like that so I will oppose the clothing being made available to you." Deny all you want, you wish to control the choices of other players

What some few NPCs may wear is neither here nor there - there's a hell of a difference between that and such outfits being seen all over the place on player-characters. If that perplexes you, you're really not even trying.
    So you think if said outfits became available that many, or most, of the women would switch? Even though the present styles are still available? You argue the concept would be so popular as to be seen "all over the place"? I suppose this means you remain in Bree so you don't have to look at the other styles out there?

Quote Originally Posted by ManaBone View Post
    Anyway, it seems kind of silly to me that there's a lack of practical light clothing that shows skin, yet heavy plate for women can have ridiculous, impractical chests on them. Bikinis would be out of place, but so are armors that are apparently made of magical metal latex. Or are they like a one size fits all cod piece fashion?
    Gear looking either sprayed on or overly chunky is typical of MMOs and has nothing to do with whether characters should be showing 'lots more skin' or not.

If we're gonna talk realism, I imagine that if my captain tried to swim somewhere she could wear the default clothing all characters have, sink to the bottom and drown trying to wear a heavy cloth outfit that is afraid of showing too much neck, or die on the way to go swimming because of her nonsensical heavy armor design. Not even from an orc attack or anything, I think tripping on a rock while wearing the chestplate of the gallant commander could be fatal.
    Oddly enough, I'd rather have the default clothing than have Elves dancing in their underwear on top of mailboxes like we had in WoW.

It is control. "I don't want to see you dressed like that so I will oppose the clothing being made available to you." Deny all you want, you wish to control the choices of other players
    No, I'm saying their would-be choices are irrelevant because they have no legitimate reason to expect skimpier outfits in a game based on LOTR.

No, I'm saying their would-be choices are irrelevant because they have no legitimate reason to expect skimpier outfits in a game based on LOTR.
    And yet skimpier outfits exist on NPC's. So folks need to make up their minds, because if skimpier outfits on NPC's do not break the lore, then skimpier outfits on player characters do not break the lore. If skimpier outfits on player characters does break the lore, then skimpier outfits on NPC's also break the lore. Yet folks will make excuses for the NPC's that they will not make for player characters. That's what I find perplexing. It's inconsistent, at a minimum.

And yet skimpier outfits exist on NPC's. So folks need to make up their minds, because if skimpier outfits on NPC's do not break the lore, then skimpier outfits on player characters do not break the lore. If skimpier outfits on player characters does break the lore, then skimpier outfits on NPC's also break the lore. Yet folks will make excuses for the NPC's that they will not make for player characters. That's what I find perplexing. It's inconsistent, at a minimum.
    It's possible that not everyone thinks that the brigand outfits are lore appropriate either. But in terms of the larger question of boundaries between npc and player wear, I think it depends on how the rules are applied. The 'skimpy' outfits on npcs in the game are only seen on human or ancient evil npcs, never on elves, dwarves, or hobbits. While I can see a human character playing someone from an outcast group or primitive culture and wearing the npc clothing items to fit in with that group, I can't see any way that you could justify an elf wearing such things in a lore-appropriate way, can you? Brigands or Dunlendings wearing revealing rags/skins are an idea that most people could see as reasonable in this world. But imagine that outfit on a dwarf that isn't even supposed to reveal gender if female. Isn't it possible that outfits that are lore-appropriate for SOME npcs are lore-appropriate for SOME player characters but not others, and that the reverse would be true as well (I would be unpleasantly surprised to see a Dunlending walking around in an elven gown for example)?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Thor View Post
    Can we lower the market appeal to someone in their 30's not 80 pls? Love the look of my grey robe except for the turtle neck. Can we see a bit more skin...ok a lot more skin. Your dresses are HOT but these new items are so prude. Would like to buy more cosmetics but the rest would appeal to my mother more.
    I play LOTRO because of the lore and the fact that it is fairly true to the time period and Tolkien's concept and am in a kin that has been around since Beta. We are all middle aged in our kin - read that as over 30 and if we wanted to look at "hot" skimpily clad female characters we would be playing EQ2 or Aion or one of the many MMO's that cater to a different mindset. And yes I have played them and am now playing LOTRO because I prefer what is usually a more mature community. The costumes are correct for Middle Earth as Tolkien conceived it and there are lots of us who really do think the "Miley Cyrus look" is pure trash and don't want to have to deal with the atmosphere that female characters being skimpily clad would produce. This is the first MMO that I have played where I don't have to put up with kids with testosterone surges hitting on my female character, and what a relief that is ! And yes I am married and have kids so I know what sex is , I just don't care to deal with it in game.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002a3fe6/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Whart View Post
    It's possible that not everyone thinks that the brigand outfits are lore appropriate either. But in terms of the larger question of boundaries between npc and player wear, I think it depends on how the rules are applied. The 'skimpy' outfits on npcs in the game are only seen on human or ancient evil npcs, never on elves, dwarves, or hobbits. While I can see a human character playing someone from an outcast group or primitive culture and wearing the npc clothing items to fit in with that group, I can't see any way that you could justify an elf wearing such things in a lore-appropriate way, can you? Brigands or Dunlendings wearing revealing rags/skins are an idea that most people could see as reasonable in this world. But imagine that outfit on a dwarf that isn't even supposed to reveal gender if female. Isn't it possible that outfits that are lore-appropriate for SOME npcs are lore-appropriate for SOME player characters but not others, and that the reverse would be true as well (I would be unpleasantly surprised to see a Dunlending walking around in an elven gown for example)?
    I do not disagree, I'm just saying the lore argument is inconsistent. As has been mentioned, even with the clothes available now player characters violate lore on a more-or-less constant basis. Where in LotR do you see women doing battle the same as men? You don't except rarely, and I understand the compromise with lore to allow it in game. It is an appropriate compromise. The best known example of the exception was Eowyn, and she had to dress as a male soldier and sneak to the battlefield. Does it not *break the lore* for women to wear dresses into battle that would be more appropriate to a dance at the Prancing Pony? Yet no one is arguing for a restriction on that. But what a scandal it would be for a lady to take one of her dresses and cut the lower part off and re-hem it so that it is even with her knee. "Oh, no, we can't have that, it would break the lore!"

It's inconsistent.

Gear looking either sprayed on or overly chunky is typical of MMOs and has nothing to do with whether characters should be showing 'lots more skin' or not.
    It has to do with issues brought up in other posts, not just just the first one.

Oddly enough, I'd rather have the default clothing than have Elves dancing in their underwear on top of mailboxes like we had in WoW.
    So when I said "practical light clothing" you thought of Elves dancing in their underwear?

I'm glad that Turbine has taken the time to design tons of outfits. This means that we do not have to choose between extremes in which everyone is covered up like a ninja or wearing a thong. They can add things in the sensible middle ground without it causing some bizarre slippery slope where the designers are possessed by a computer ghost that forces them to also add chainmail bikinis and plate mini skirts.

I do not disagree, I'm just saying the lore argument is inconsistent. As has been mentioned, even with the clothes available now player characters violate lore on a more-or-less constant basis. Where in LotR do you see women doing battle the same as men? You don't except rarely, and I understand the compromise with lore to allow it in game. It is an appropriate compromise. The best known example of the exception was Eowyn, and she had to dress as a male soldier and sneak to the battlefield. Does it not *break the lore* for women to wear dresses into battle that would be more appropriate to a dance at the Prancing Pony? Yet no one is arguing for a restriction on that. But what a scandal it would be for a lady to take one of her dresses and cut the lower part off and re-hem it so that it is even with her knee. "Oh, no, we can't have that, it would break the lore!"

It's inconsistent.
    I am one of those who prefers not to wear a dress into battle (or while farming, fishing, etc.), so I can't really say much on that front. I'm a big fan of wearing clothing that is appropriate to one's current activity.

As far as hemming a dress to the knee, I don't see it as scandalous so much as I don't see certain females of specific races and classes in that time period having the motivation to do so. Where would I get the idea to cut off my dress at the knee? What purpose would that serve, and how would the folks around me react to my choice? Would there be females among the various races who break with tradition and dress or behave in non-stereotypical ways? There always are, but would they approach rebellion in the same way modern-day human females would or do something totally different? So many questions to ponder when we put ourselves in someone else's world--but that's what keeps things interesting, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Whart View Post
    I am one of those who prefers not to wear a dress into battle (or while farming, fishing, etc.), so I can't really say much on that front. I'm a big fan of wearing clothing that is appropriate to one's current activity.

As far as hemming a dress to the knee, I don't see it as scandalous so much as I don't see certain females of specific races and classes in that time period having the motivation to do so. Where would I get the idea to cut off my dress at the knee? What purpose would that serve, and how would the folks around me react to my choice? Would there be females among the various races who break with tradition and dress or behave in non-stereotypical ways? There always are, but would they approach rebellion in the same way modern-day human females would or do something totally different? So many questions to ponder when we put ourselves in someone else's world--but that's what keeps things interesting, no?
    As to where a young lady might get the idea, simply looking at the brigands west of Bree might spark the idea. "Hmm, I wonder if that old dress that's tattered at the hem would look good if I shortened it?" But that really isn't my point. Being a big fan of wearing appropriate clothing on your character is a far cry from opposing *player_X* from wearing what she wants, and it's consistency that I search for here. If folks oppose raised hemlines because it is not lore appropriate (and oppose it to the point of arguing Turbine should exclude it from the game), then opposing ladies wearing fancy dresses on the battlefield because it is not lore appropriate (and opposing it to the point of asking Turbine to not allow it) is the consistent position. As soon as someone suggests showing more skin here comes the brigade; the same brigade that utters hardly a peep about inappropriate battle dress, except a *tsk, tsk* here and there.

That's just an example to illustrate my point. If folks want to argue against something because it's lore inappropriate, they need be consistent. If folks argue against *A*, but give *B* a pass...
    Last edited by Dworin; Sep 19 2013 at 10:16 PM.

im a female player and for me is unfair that dwarf can walk bare chested and female toons have to cover even their hobbit feet ... also lore fanatics need to understand tolkien never wanted his idea to turn in a video game ..so figure out the rest ...also i mostly play on male toons and just to crack everyone expectation my males hobbits go around killing stuff wearing female dresses with flowers in their head
    Ascension-Arkenstone :
    Third Marshal Finarfintook Minstrel
    Fire Rk Finarjul r10 & Finwetook r7 burg
    Creeps: Finsnightmare r8 defiler/ Finscreep r5 rvr

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by MithrilMinded View Post
    also lore fanatics need to understand tolkien never wanted his idea to turn in a video game
    Or movies...
    Or comics...
    Or an E-book...
    Or a flash game...
    Or for his son to edit his books...
    etc, etc, etc, etc.
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast