We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 139
  1. #1

    Laila's. market too prude!

    Can we lower the market appeal to someone in their 30's not 80 pls? Love the look of my grey robe except for the turtle neck. Can we see a bit more skin...ok a lot more skin. Your dresses are HOT but these new items are so prude. Would like to buy more cosmetics but the rest would appeal to my mother more.

  2. #2
    Turbine focuses on keeping itself true to lore, for the most par. Skimpy dresses or over-the-top enormous armour is not something they are going to do. Tolkien was very specific on what the people of Middle-Earth wore.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Al-Thor View Post
    Can we lower the market appeal to someone in their 30's not 80 pls? Love the look of my grey robe except for the turtle neck. Can we see a bit more skin...ok a lot more skin. Your dresses are HOT but these new items are so prude. Would like to buy more cosmetics but the rest would appeal to my mother more.
    Well, LotRO's got a T-for-Teen rating. WB/Turbine want to keep that rating. This means no nudity and no near-nudity. Have you ever taken all the equipped clothing/armour off your character and looked at him/her as naked as s/he can be? It's not very. Females wear a bodice and short culottes; males wear shirts with long sleeves and knee-length britches.

    Where in Bree is Lalia's place, anyway? My Elf might like to take a look at that grey robe; she's very modest.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Where in Bree is Lalia's place, anyway? My Elf might like to take a look at that grey robe; she's very modest.
    Across from the Boar Fountain, looking to the north.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Al-Thor View Post
    Can we lower the market appeal to someone in their 30's not 80 pls? Love the look of my grey robe except for the turtle neck. Can we see a bit more skin...ok a lot more skin. Your dresses are HOT but these new items are so prude. Would like to buy more cosmetics but the rest would appeal to my mother more.
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,629
    In LotRO, armor is for protection NOT distraction.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Taravith View Post
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    Depends on your definition of "nice," now, doesn't it?
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto_the_First View Post
    Across from the Boar Fountain, looking to the north.
    Thanks. I'll go take a look.

    Mind you, my Elf is currently wearing Grey Company garb and will go on wearing it till the Ring falls. But it's always pleasant to window-shop.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    unknown
    Posts
    1,475


    Coming up next: The new Loremaster raid gear for Helms deep ..

    But seriously, you can make your character look hot without introducing bikini cosmetics.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombielord View Post
    Gakk.

    Coming up next: The new Loremaster raid gear for Helms deep ..
    We don't even know if there will be any Lore-masters at Helm's Deep. Without having any more data than anybody else who doesn't work for Turbine, I'm sort of expecting generic fighters who can shoot with a bow or hack with a sword, as the occasion demands.

    But I did take a look at the grey, high-collared robe. Not bad, except for the red (!) weskit (!) that you can't dye. I think I'll pass.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    We don't even know if there will be any Lore-masters at Helm's Deep.
    Whooooooosh.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Well, LotRO's got a T-for-Teen rating. WB/Turbine want to keep that rating. This means no nudity and no near-nudity.
    Lineage 2 appears to be rated T as well despite featuring infamously skimpy outfits, so I don't think that signifies. (Not that I'm a fan of such dodgy 'fantasy' outfits, just pointing that out).

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Al-Thor View Post
    Not really into animated soft porn thanks. Just looking for cosmetics that would appeal to a woman.
    I'm a woman, and clothing showing "a lot more skin" doesn't appeal to me at all.

    There was once (many years ago, and I've lost the bookmark) a panel of the webcomic PvP Online in which a group of guys were going to make characters in WoW. So they did that, and met in-game, and to the surprise of the others, the youngest member of the band had made a female character. He said, "If I'm going to look at somebody's [backside] all day, it's going to be a cute one."

    I think skimpy costumes on female characters dates back to the old days, when a large percentage of MMO players were adolescent males who put a high value on being able to look at barely-clad females, even if they knew the "females" were really themselves or their friend Bob.

    These are the new days.

    One of the things I like about Turbine games is that from the beginning they have provided female characters with the ability to wear clothing that didn't turn us into eye candy.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    I'm a woman, and clothing showing "a lot more skin" doesn't appeal to me at all.

    There was once (many years ago, and I've lost the bookmark) a panel of the webcomic PvP Online in which a group of guys were going to make characters in WoW. So they did that, and met in-game, and to the surprise of the others, the youngest member of the band had made a female character. He said, "If I'm going to look at somebody's [backside] all day, it's going to be a cute one."

    I think skimpy costumes on female characters dates back to the old days, when a large percentage of MMO players were adolescent males who put a high value on being able to look at barely-clad females, even if they knew the "females" were really themselves or their friend Bob.

    These are the new days.

    One of the things I like about Turbine games is that from the beginning they have provided female characters with the ability to wear clothing that didn't turn us into eye candy.
    These are the new days for who? I've not seen anything to suggest things have changed generally, just that this particular game is commendably restrained (as it should be). There seems to be plenty of 'eye candy' for adolescent males to be found in other MMOs, including recent ones.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    These are the new days for who? I've not seen anything to suggest things have changed generally, just that this particular game is commendably restrained (as it should be). There seems to be plenty of 'eye candy' for adolescent males to be found in other MMOs, including recent ones.
    True. There are still adolescents, and there are still costumes that appeal to them. But the proportion of older players is a lot higher in Turbine games, raising the average maturity level a bit.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    True. There are still adolescents, and there are still costumes that appeal to them. But the proportion of older players is a lot higher in Turbine games, raising the average maturity level a bit.
    You read the forums, right?
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    True. There are still adolescents, and there are still costumes that appeal to them. But the proportion of older players is a lot higher in Turbine games, raising the average maturity level a bit.
    Tell that to all the Dirty Old Men out there.

    No, I'm glad LOTRO is made by a US company under a T-rating. Because it does mean the graphics of this game are indeed quite prude. As if no teenager or old man alike has never felt testosteron surge through his blood, but heh, I may disdain the sillyness of US prudity, but I wholeheartedly approve the outcome for LOTRO!

    The outcome is a just prudish enough setting to be fit the Middle-Earth setting well. LOTR does not feature e.g. the flying thong sorceress, as much as I like those. And that is a good thing.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Brandywine
    Posts
    1,757
    Hmmm, I actually think the dresses in game are a bit TOO revealing. My Hobbit's bosom almost falls out of hers. I would prefer more high-collar, turtleneck fashions, like what the NPCs wear.
    MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Depends on your definition of "nice," now, doesn't it?
    I know it's silly of me to assume that "safe and respectful" are included in such a definition, by opposition to "exploitative and insulting."

    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    One of the things I like about Turbine games is that from the beginning they have provided female characters with the ability to wear clothing that didn't turn us into eye candy.
    Word.

    Recently one of my (male) kinnies was wondering aloud why there were so many female players on lotro. This is precisely why. Not the clothing itself, but how it's one of the clues of a slightly more mature and respectful environment in which you're less likely to be harassed/insulted/etc.
    It's a nice, refreshing change.

    Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    These are the new days for who? I've not seen anything to suggest things have changed generally, just that this particular game is commendably restrained (as it should be). There seems to be plenty of 'eye candy' for adolescent males to be found in other MMOs, including recent ones.
    Things are changing though. Slowly, painfully, but they are. Video games are starting to be held accountable for sexist discourse. Creators and communities are scrutinized, criticized and little by little awareness is spreading.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainothon View Post
    Tell that to all the Dirty Old Men out there....

    The outcome is a just prudish enough setting to be fit the Middle-Earth setting well. LOTR does not feature e.g. the flying thong sorceress, as much as I like those. And that is a good thing.
    I belong to the Old Man who enjoys women category. For me thongs on characters, online porn, or even a topless club with dancers does not do a lot for me.

    I am only interested in a two some. Me and a one adult woman. in a room. Where I can talk to her and touch her. with no spectators.

    If is a real women our in real life it might result in - You would look really good in that Ms. Yula. At one time I worked with a very hot single female engineer. I would call Ms. Yula. She is driving me nuts again. I can't wait to come home and spend some time with you.

    Game characters do not look enough like real women and the clothing they would wear to create any sort of response. A few games like the new Lara Croft are getting there.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    1,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Frieja View Post
    Hmmm, I actually think the dresses in game are a bit TOO revealing. My Hobbit's bosom almost falls out of hers. I would prefer more high-collar, turtleneck fashions, like what the NPCs wear.
    Thankfully I've not run into that issue with my elves, but I agree with you completely on the necklines. That plunging neckline, which is so narrow and yet somehow plunges all the way down to show a teeny bit of cleavage, seems to be hard-wired into at least half of the armor in the game. It isn't that bad by itself, but it keeps showing up and spoiling armour.

    For instance, was it really necessary to put a plunging neckline on the female version of Cel-crus? Much less tie up the sleeves like a roast, only for the female version? I mean sure, it's better than the travesty that is the Eastemnet Assault Robe, but... seriously? Bound up sleeves?



    And don't even get me started on the fitting of clothing meshes to the female form. The sorrows of the (female) Eldar are neverending.

    "Life is 10% what you make it, and 90% how you take it." - Irving Berlin
    MirkwoodIsengardLOTRO-Wiki

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadzi View Post
    [W]as it really necessary to put a plunging neckline on the female version of Cel-crus? Much less tie up the sleeves like a roast, only for the female version? I mean sure, it's better than the travesty that is the Eastemnet Assault Robe, but... seriously? Bound up sleeves?

    "But I don't wanna be a pirate!"



    As for the OP's plea ... ain't going to happen, and this female gamer is pretty darn happy about it. If you're THAT concerned about not seeing enough skin, Aion Online might be more to your liking.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,429
    Re: "nice"

    Quote Originally Posted by Taravith View Post
    I know it's silly of me to assume that "safe and respectful" are included in such a definition, by opposition to "exploitative and insulting."
    Or available.

    Recently one of my (male) kinnies was wondering aloud why there were so many female players on lotro. This is precisely why. Not the clothing itself, but how it's one of the clues of a slightly more mature and respectful environment in which you're less likely to be harassed/insulted/etc.
    It's a nice, refreshing change.
    Oh, I'm so glad to hear that. I don't play with enough male gamers (well, one, actually) to learn things like that.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadzi View Post
    For instance, was it really necessary to put a plunging neckline on the female version of Cel-crus? Much less tie up the sleeves like a roast, only for the female version? I mean sure, it's better than the travesty that is the Eastemnet Assault Robe, but... seriously? Bound up sleeves?

    Actually, that neckline doesn't plunge too badly, since the V is concealed by that red partlet or whatever the Elf is wearing under it.

    And I think those brown, strapped things are bracers: lightweight (maybe leather) forearm armour.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10,510
    The irony of this thread is that one of the sexiest female outfits, one that was--historically--quite popular (and condemned by the Church) covers everything--starts at the neck, covers arms to the wrist and is floor-length.

    It's called a "sideless surcote" and was worn from the 12th to 14th centuries. The nickname for the garment is "the gates of Hell."

 

 
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload