We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

It's kind of sad that I have to give up my Captain soon

I love the Captain. By far it is my favorite class. But with the cut down limited time to play the game, etc, etc, blah blah... My Champion is going to be way less of a grind keeping geared up. I have 7 legendary items for c***ts sake.

So why the hell are you posting this topic, Ansi? Why in the name of pickles and gravy?

Glad you asked.

I wanted to know if anyone else is feeling this way lately? Any added stress?

Yeah, this is definitely the number one complain everybody has whenever the question of class improvements comes up.

It's disappointing that the problem got so bad for you that you need to leave your alt to languish, though. The Captain community will miss you!
    [b][SIZE=3][COLOR="#FFFFFF"]Cainwen Ciaphas[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b][COLOR="#C3C3C3"], Captain of Crickhollow, [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/CiaphasCain]HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH[/url]!!!
    [i]I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered![/i] My opinions are my own![/color]

Maaaan I thrive on complexity. Love having a class with multiple roles and putting effort into each. Building, assembling the right toolset (set bonuses, traits, legacies), getting down to the nitty-gritty of stats--that's fun to me. If time concerns prevented me from going all out, I'd just quit.

But that ain't the reason I've quit Argendauss and Rechart and Ulxart. I'm on indefinite hiatus 'cause the scaled instance difficulty adjustment (massive nerf, for practical purposes) that happened earlier this year in U9.1 or U10 or whenever just tanked my enjoyment of running instances--which was starting to wear thin as I awaited the new U10 content. And I only enjoyed some of the stuff released in U10. Somehow I still enjoy talking on the forums about LotRO--more specifically about the games classes and combat mechanics and itemization--though I grimace at the thought of playing it in it's current state.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen_Kaizer View Post
    Maaaan I thrive on complexity. Love having a class with multiple roles and putting effort into each. Building, assembling the right toolset (set bonuses, traits, legacies), getting down to the nitty-gritty of stats--that's fun to me. If time concerns prevented me from going all out, I'd just quit.

But that ain't the reason I've quit Argendauss and Rechart and Ulxart. I'm on indefinite hiatus 'cause the scaled instance difficulty adjustment (massive nerf, for practical purposes) that happened earlier this year in U9.1 or U10 or whenever just tanked my enjoyment of running instances--which was starting to wear thin as I awaited the new U10 content. And I only enjoyed some of the stuff released in U10. Somehow I still enjoy talking on the forums about LotRO--more specifically about the games classes and combat mechanics and itemization--though I grimace at the thought of playing it in it's current state.
    What he said (except I still play for PvP). The game is really very simplistic, any extra layer of complexity is good as far as I'm concerned. It's not like IXP/relics/symbols/scrolls are hard to get.

Also, it's no different for champ if you want to min-max. I have 7 LIs that I use regularly (1h, 2h, PvE rune, PvP rune, swap weapon, swap rune, bridle) and would have 2 more if I tanked on my champ regularly.

The bigger thing with me isn't that I need 7 LIs (8 counting the buff stick) to do all of the roles, but that I have to keep hitting the reset button every single level cap. To me, at least, it essentially renders a FA completely and totally pointless, because it nullifies how much effort (or in my case, how much gold I have ground and spent) on the SA, only to have the FA complete garbage by the time the level cap rolls around again.

I mean, if the stupid things didn't take so much grind to make, it wouldn't feel as burned out about the entire system, but after putting my heart and soul into it at 65, then turning around and almost as much zeal at 75, I'm just over it at 85, and not really looking forward to 95 because I have to start it all over for the fourth time =/
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Landroval

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Steam: Almagnus1

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    snip
    Fully agree with you here. The grind to do it all again is horrible. It's made worse by the F2P model which means we have to redo the process every 12 months. If it was an expansion every 24 months, then our FA's may hold value.

I support the f2p model otherwise, but this is a major downside to it. It should of been made so that it levels with you but that would require a massive overhaul which I doubt turbine has the time for.

I mean, if the stupid things didn't take so much grind to make, it wouldn't feel as burned out about the entire system, but after putting my heart and soul into it at 65, then turning around and almost as much zeal at 75, I'm just over it at 85, and not really looking forward to 95 because I have to start it all over for the fourth time =/
    I feel like the grind isn't all that bad IF you have very few alts. If you run some 3/6 mans pretty regularly, the skirmish marks/medallions/LI relics really flow in at a very high rate. If you have a main and one alt, even if they need a bunch of LIs, it (IMHO) isn't so bad. And buff sticks/emblems take less investment anyway, you don't need to use so many SOE to max out say 4 legacies on an item... Not saying it is great, but actually the grind for SOEs/Delvings/relics/shards feels rather less to me than it used to be. If I were trying to keep more than 2 alts at max level with top tier LIs I might feel differently of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Kheldaran View Post
    Fully agree with you here. The grind to do it all again is horrible. It's made worse by the F2P model which means we have to redo the process every 12 months. If it was an expansion every 24 months, then our FA's may hold value.

I support the f2p model otherwise, but this is a major downside to it. It should of been made so that it levels with you but that would require a massive overhaul which I doubt turbine has the time for.
    OBJECTION!
    [b][SIZE=3][COLOR="#FFFFFF"]Cainwen Ciaphas[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b][COLOR="#C3C3C3"], Captain of Crickhollow, [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/CiaphasCain]HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH[/url]!!!
    [i]I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered![/i] My opinions are my own![/color]

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    I feel like the grind isn't all that bad IF you have very few alts. If you run some 3/6 mans pretty regularly, the skirmish marks/medallions/LI relics really flow in at a very high rate. If you have a main and one alt, even if they need a bunch of LIs, it (IMHO) isn't so bad. And buff sticks/emblems take less investment anyway, you don't need to use so many SOE to max out say 4 legacies on an item... Not saying it is great, but actually the grind for SOEs/Delvings/relics/shards feels rather less to me than it used to be. If I were trying to keep more than 2 alts at max level with top tier LIs I might feel differently of course...
    How many times are you going to go through Sambrog and OE before you've just had it?

If there was some variance in the instances being run (such as a rotating set of bonuses) to help guide the herd away from the easy ones, it wouldn't be as bad.

But what we're looking at is the same behavior that make DD a ghost town and everybody, their cat, dog, sister, brother, cousing, uncle, aunt, mom, pop, grandma, grandpa, horse, goat, cow, and zebra go through GS HM - just with a different set of instances.

We really need to have some way to cycle out instances so some of the lesser played ones get some more time, rather than just do the exact same thing we did at each previous level cap. It doesn't feel like progress, it feels like repetition, and there's only so many times you can do repetitive before people get bored and walk away.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Landroval

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Steam: Almagnus1

We really need to have some way to cycle out instances so some of the lesser played ones get some more time, rather than just do the exact same thing we did at each previous level cap. It doesn't feel like progress, it feels like repetition, and there's only so many times you can do repetitive before people get bored and walk away.
    OK, I agree with all this. I thought your complaint was the magnitude of the grind, rather than the nature. I also believe that the game rewards are way out of sync with the time/effort, and that does lead to a limited number of runs for efficiency (sambrog, school, lib), just as the past was GS/SH/HOC...

I agree 100%

I was enjoying this game a lot more before that massive nerf to instance difficulty. I was having a blast in places like Warg Pens and Goblin Town - then suddenly everything got turned into "EZMODER GARBAGE". Now it feels more like WoW - where instances are basically a mindless zergfest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    I agree 100%

I was enjoying this game a lot more before that massive nerf to instance difficulty. I was having a blast in places like Warg Pens and Goblin Town - then suddenly everything got turned into "EZMODER GARBAGE". Now it feels more like WoW - where instances are basically a mindless zergfest.
    Ikr! Warg Pens is the best example, glad you mentioned that. Like, it was a challenge--an accomplishment--to tank or heal that when U9 dropped. I was SO excited to try LM healing that too with my newest toon, and I did... after it got nerfed. Sour grapes.

Anyway, I do hold that things get naturally easier the longer an Update is live, but Turbine suddenly and artificially trivialized most everything we'd had with U9. EZmoder garbage indeed. I'm disappointed but not surprised that you say WoW is like that (jives with the word on the street); any insight on RIFT's instances?

It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't so legacy dependent, just saying. Hope we'll get some relief from Class Revamp and scared to death of it at the same time.

i only play the one character, so i kinda like the extra work.

but i totally understand andhave always throw my support at the death of buffsticks.

if all captains threw all buffsticks into a fire it would summon all of middle earth.

Ikr! Warg Pens is the best example, glad you mentioned that. Like, it was a challenge--an accomplishment--to tank or heal that when U9 dropped. I was SO excited to try LM healing that too with my newest toon, and I did... after it got nerfed. Sour grapes.

Anyway, I do hold that things get naturally easier the longer an Update is live, but Turbine suddenly and artificially trivialized most everything we'd had with U9. EZmoder garbage indeed. I'm disappointed but not surprised that you say WoW is like that (jives with the word on the street); any insight on RIFT's instances?
    Sorry I've never played Rift before

Min/maxing is my way of staying interested in the game and its mechanics. If I can add 5 seconds to invincible with a macro, or drop 1000 crit by swapping 2 erebor storm set when using battle acuity on my champ, I'm going to do what it takes to get those items.

But maaaan, i miss SG at 65. It was so exciting and difficult when it first came out. I'm sure my mind fogs some of my noobish details but I mainly remember 1. it was fun 2. it was challenging and 3. it had one of the only ways you could get a symbol of celebrimbor. These scaled instances wouldn't be so bad if they upped the damage by introducing a t2, and changed one or two things in the boss fights to create a challenge mode, and with the increase in challenge came an increase in gold drop chance.