We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Curious - multiple guild affliations

I'm a bit curious about the single guild only rule.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to be 'splitting your interests' while honing/learning your skills in certain trade.

But what is the reasoning after you master a specific skill?

What I mean by this is, what if say, you are a Tinker (Jeweller, Propsector, Cook) and you master the Jewelery trade (cap out Rep in the guild and skill tree), what is the reasoning for not going on to becoming a master cook as well? Shouldn't you be able to then join the Cooks guild and pursue that venue - - WITHOUT losing all the work (Rep) you have put into your Jewelery background?

We are already limited by the 3 skills within our characters chosen profession, so there wouldn't be any 'one guy masters everything' giveaway.

So again, I'm curious, why the limitation on only one guild, if we are already limited in others ways?
    Last edited by Feirlain; May 19 2013 at 03:03 PM.

Like most of the other game design choices it is the way it is because the Turbine employee that had command authority used the "Because I said so" rule.

You will run into millions of such examples all aspects of real life. The "Because I said so rule is invoked". After the fact, if necessary, the decision maker will quote those parts of our collective knowledge that aligns with the decision chosen as justification.

For Exampple, you find a lot of this logic in our legal base. The justification is what has been done by peers and people in the past. You pull on that chain long enough you get to the first such example which is "Because I said so rule" which is usually called the precedent. Another common expression "We have always done it this way.".

The inertia imposed by comfort of "same old" via precedent and "We have always done it this way" makes it very difficult to accomplish change. Often times changes only occurs when into a situation where it is a new organization with a leader. No established rules. The leader uses the "Because I said so" rule to define the policies of the organization.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Don't forget that some vocations only include one guild-able profession. Woodsman is woodworker/forester/farmer and explorer is tailor/forester/prospector - I think those are the only two but I could be forgetting one.

If you could max out multiple skills there would be that much less reason to run alts and less reason to play more often or spend more time/money on it. At least that's what I can come up with.
    When the Rebels become the Tyrants, Revolution takes on a New Meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisli View Post
    Don't forget that some vocations only include one guild-able profession. Woodsman is woodworker/forester/farmer and explorer is tailor/forester/prospector - I think those are the only two but I could be forgetting one.
    Ah, this would make sense. As it would be kind of unfair for these professions to only have access to one guild, as they have two 'gatherer' skills and one 'creating (guild)' skill while others would have access (if multiple guild affillations were allowed) to two guildable skills.

I can see several pro reasons:

PvP: If we would able to join all guilds (...get all available traits, get all available bonuses, put on any armor, use any scroll, etc ...) then the difference between characters would be not as big as it is now. And that would be a pity.

Replayability: If you would be able to join all guild at once (...get all available traits, get all available bonuses, etc ...), then there'll be less reasons to roll your second/third/etc character. Less reasons to replay the game.

In a long run it is a big plus for gamer's community (and for developer) in my opinion. For those who wants to quickly play the game it can be probably seen as a disadvantage I guess, because you can't check all game options with one game walkthrough.

Quote Originally Posted by evguenil View Post
    I can see several pro reasons:

PvP: If we would able to join all guilds (...get all available traits, get all available bonuses, put on any armor, use any scroll, etc ...) then the difference between characters would be not as big as it is now. And that would be a pity.

Replayability: If you would be able to join all guild at once (...get all available traits, get all available bonuses, etc ...), then there'll be less reasons to roll your second/third/etc character. Less reasons to replay the game.

In a long run it is a big plus for gamer's community (and for developer) in my opinion. For those who wants to quickly play the game it can be probably seen as a disadvantage I guess, because you can't check all game options with one game walkthrough.
    Maybe I'm doing my crafting wrong--what are all these bonuses you speak of? Everything craftable is sold on the AH, no. The only real guild bonus is the bound crafted relic, which is the same regardless of vocation, so there would be no benefit to having two different guilded crafts.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...