We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Scholars: Completely screwed over.

The thread title says it all.
    I've been a scholar from day one of playing LOTRO, and it's still my favourite craft.
    However, there seems to be an increasing trend whereby all the other professions get a slew of great recipes with each major update, while scholars just get new battle and warding lore.

In Update 11, every single other craft got new recipes worth talking about, worth crafting, and worth paying gold for. Scholars, however...? We got new battle and warding lore, and had our dyes undercut by the introduction of the market in Bree.

It's so frustrating that every other craft has a way to make income, while scholars are limited to the occasional pocket item (seriously, what's the point in paying gold for a pocket item when the ones that are freely available in Rohan / Wildermore are equal or better?), and previously, dyes.

Ugh.
    Turbine, you make me so mad!

Don't worry about it. The balance between crafts, like the balance between classes, is not a static thing. Whilst you are right about scholars getting beaten down currently. I am not yet sure whether or not that is the whole of the story. If these new single-use recipes have a critical version on them, like the gold recipes, then scholars, in fact, will be everyone's best friend for crafting-boost scrolls and books.

As far as dyes, I wouldn't say that the new market in Bree will make things much worse than before. You could already buy dyes from the LOTRO store; I checked out the new market and it looked like it took mithril coins for all the dyes (and some took a lot more coins than others). There are many players, myself included, who won't want to spend their mithril coins on something they can get elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Awenir24 View Post
    In Update 11, every single other craft got new recipes worth talking about, worth crafting, and worth paying gold for. Scholars, however...? We got new battle and warding lore, and had our dyes undercut by the introduction of the market in Bree.
    You mean guild scholars got new bulk recipes for the Battle and Warding lore scrolls we could already make if we had gotten the rep recipes from Snowbourn.

On the other hand, lowbie crafting alts now have access to Eastemnet-tier Battle & Warding scrolls that they couldn't make before. In my view this is an improvement; they did the same thing in Westfold-tier (made Battle & Warding lore recipes available only from one of the new expansion's rep factions) but never bothered to give the guild bulk recipes. Lowbie crafting alts were entirely unable to make those items.

So thanks, Turbine, for the new bulk scholar's guild recipes in U11. I was expecting new pocket item recipes, but bulk Battle & Warding lore recipes were a nice surprise.
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the bug reporting tool or type /bug in-game!*
    *no rants please

Quote Originally Posted by banjolier View Post
    ...lowbie crafting alts now have access to Eastemnet-tier Battle & Warding scrolls that they couldn't make before. In my view this is an improvement; they did the same thing in Westfold-tier (made Battle & Warding lore recipes available only from one of the new expansion's rep factions) but never bothered to give the guild bulk recipes.
    ...so in other words, you're grateful that they added something that should have been there long before now.
    I agree, and that's nice, but my issue isn't with what scholars have now; it's with the fact that when everybody else has new recipes added, we don't. Plus the pocket item, which is the only piece of gear we can craft, often seems to be the "special drop" in a given area too, which makes us redundant.
    On top of that, not only did Turbine give (as you've mentioned, adding in what should have been in-game earlier), but they took away, making dyes available at Leila's market in Bree. I'm not thrilled.

I couldn't agree with the OP more, of all the crafters the Scholar is the least worthwhile and the most trouble to level skills IMO. I can make more money with a cook or farmer than a scholar! Certainly leveling the skills is a whole lot easier.

Plus the pocket item, which is the only piece of gear we can craft, often seems to be the "special drop" in a given area too, which makes us redundant.
    You're mistaken in assuming crafted pocket items made scholars special. Crafted pocket items didn't exist at all prior to the Isengard expansion (Westfold tier); all pocket items were drops. And while the Westfold crafted pockets were nice, they weren't best-in-slot for many classes, and were obsoleted entirely with Great River's Empowered Anduin sets. (I think I used the Defensive pocket briefly on my Guardian. My other classes never even had a crafted 75 pocket.)

Rohan+U11 follows the exact same pattern: new crafted pockets when the new craft tier comes out, best-in-slot pockets are instance drops, and new barter pockets with the between-expansion update. If your complaint is that scholars' pocket recipes aren't good enough, you could have been writing that back in U9.

On top of that, not only did Turbine give, but they took away, making dyes available at Leila's market in Bree.
    Again, nothing new. Anyone with the mithril coins to buy dyes in Leila's Market could have spent TP on dyes before U11. Anyone who'd rather spend MC/TP on dye was probably not your customer anyway, so what have you lost?
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the bug reporting tool or type /bug in-game!*
    *no rants please

You mean guild scholars got new bulk recipes for the Battle and Warding lore scrolls we could already make if we had gotten the rep recipes from Snowbourn.

On the other hand, lowbie crafting alts now have access to Eastemnet-tier Battle & Warding scrolls that they couldn't make before. In my view this is an improvement; they did the same thing in Westfold-tier (made Battle & Warding lore recipes available only from one of the new expansion's rep factions) but never bothered to give the guild bulk recipes. Lowbie crafting alts were entirely unable to make those items.

So thanks, Turbine, for the new bulk scholar's guild recipes in U11. I was expecting new pocket item recipes, but bulk Battle & Warding lore recipes were a nice surprise.
    They're new recipes. Slightly better bonuses as the old T8 stuff.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

...so in other words, you're grateful that they added something that should have been there long before now.
    I agree, and that's nice, but my issue isn't with what scholars have now; it's with the fact that when everybody else has new recipes added, we don't. Plus the pocket item, which is the only piece of gear we can craft, often seems to be the "special drop" in a given area too, which makes us redundant.
    On top of that, not only did Turbine give (as you've mentioned, adding in what should have been in-game earlier), but they took away, making dyes available at Leila's market in Bree. I'm not thrilled.
    As a person who buys a lot of dyes on the auction hall, I can tell you I will never be buying dyes from the new store. They are too high priced and the Mithril coins have much better uses elsewhere. I just bought a slew of dyes again a few days ago and all came from the auction hall...

As long as prices on Dyes in the AH are within reason then you can expect to see more of them coming from players rather than from the store or Lalia's Market thru the use of Mithril Coins(which have better uses than purchasing cosmetic gear).

I don't charge big prices for Dyes on many of my scholars so as to cater to those people who need a color inexpensively. And sell they do.

Thumbs down Guild Pocket item: Result not selectable anymore

Am I the only one seeing that the Scholar Guild pocket item on Tier 8 got reduced from several selectable options to ONE?
    Or what am I missing?
    L85: Rune-Keeper, Warden, Minstrel, Guardian, Hunter, Captain, Burglar, Lore-Master, Champion

You are thanking Turbine for giving us guild recipes that are not worth being guild recipes? Every 3 days we can craft 10 scrolls of Warding or Battle lore... scrolls that are only slightly better than the ones we can craft en-mass?

Everyone else got new guild recipes worth making. My jeweler got new agility earrings worth making. My scholar got NOTHING. I am not going to wait 3 days of cool down to craft something that is barely 5% better than something I can already craft for far less effort.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

Mats are so easy to get it's not like bulk recs are that great anyway.
    There are scholar chests everywhere in Wildermore, and before that there was the Hytbold crafting instance, so I hardly ever use bulk recs.
    The new Battle and Warding lore scrolls from Wildermore are a slight improvement, but still not great.

Scholars are getting severely screwed.