U11 login commentary
Quoted from another thread, not this one....
Apologies in advance for my stream-of-consciousness method of presentation here.
Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty
It would be a huge shame if Turbine leapt to assume that any recent drops in playership are beyond repair or are not a direct result of its own poor choices lately.... choices that could be un-made and that could be remedied. One of the things that made this game great was that it really encouraged a sense of fellowship. It is based, after all, on a Fellowship of the Ring, not a solo Hobbit doing his own thing.
Two of the main issues with LotRO I think originally drove its popularity and longevity are these:
1. Variety of solo and 3-man, 6-man and 12-man content.
- Sadly, Turbine is making less and less of the 6 and 12-man content these days. And, in this last update, there isn't even any 3-man content! That greatly detracts from the game. Moreover, it completely works against everything on which the game was originally built.
2. Ability to wander the world and pick up quests at nearly any location newly visited. And an ability to revisit old spots and often pick up new quest content. I loved I could run to a new area and help a friend out while possibly grabbing some quests to do while there.
- Sadly again, several of the last few updates require a "railroading" of quest content, very linear, very annoying. I can't run my Guardian from Hytbold to Balewood, for instance, to help out a friend while still gaining some personal benefit or advancing some quest content. If I want to do Balewood quests on my Guardian, she has to go through the entire Wildermore quest content up to that point. Irritating. That detracts from the game.
- Hytbold, frankly, was lame and irritating. I tolerated going through it all once. I'll try just about anything once. And, I was faithful running most of my alts through many of the dailies in the effort to get rep. But, running the same kind of silliness in Wildermore is frankly more than I can take. I have zero interest in running the entire quest content just to gain access to The Survivors of Wildermore, so I can run a bunch of piddly quests for yet another round of rep. I ran it on my warden. I'm halfway through on my LM. And, I have no interest at all in doing anymore. This is supposed to be entertainment, not a job... not redundant and boring like this.
So, lest you think I'm all down on Turbine. Let me state this: I've been playing Neverwinter this past couple weeks at the suggestion of some friends. I still prefer LotRO overall, but I fear my preference is based more on what LotRO used to be, not on what it _is_. Please, developers, the Lord of the Rings content holds too much promise to waste on these inane and linear quest sequences. Many of my friends have dropped their VIP status. Many others have left the game completely, expressing a sincere intent to never come back. They are as upset as I by this last couple updates.
Things I like:
1. Warbands. Love the concept. Enjoy the implementation. Like this last set has been tougher.
2. Graphics. There still isn't a game out there that can hold a candle this this game in terms of how truly beautiful it is. And, allow me to thank you for not oversaturating the color. My eyes hurt after playing WoW and Neverwinter.
3. Whole world. I love that if you see something in the distance in this game, you can go to it. You can ride your horse, run, walk.... physically go there.
4. Camera view. I like the way you can look in all directions, get close-up to see things and inspect them in more detail, be it your character or something else nearby.
5. Mounted combat. I wanted to praise the recent modifications to the mounted combat system. I appreciate you separated the movement skills from the combat skills. And, the new combat options have been useful and class-specific. I think my sole request here is to have still more agro-drawing ability for both the guard and the warden while on horseback.
6. Cosmetic horse and outfit options. Hey, I'm female. I want to look good while I'm fighting the baddies. Thank you! Having said that, though, all the cosmetics in the world mean nothing at all if the content isn't worth the cloth or platemail it is made from....
7. Music. This last set of music has been truly awesome. Keep it up, please! Excellent choice.
8. Support. This game has always been tremendous with its prompt response to help requests. I was saddened to see earlier in this thread this may no longer be the case.
1. Get rid of the notification box in the lower right corner. It used to be nice to be able to just glance down there while fighting and know exactly what was pending. I hate having to click, just to see I got new mail. If I'm out in the field, I can't get the mail anyway. Click. "Oh it's just mail...." Grr. Annoying.
2. Why, oh way, did you get rid of the clicking on dead NPCs and go to an auto-loot system, only to then set up quests, where you now have to click on the dead bodies?!?! What's up with that???! Let's make up your mind, please. I was ok with having to manually look. I am ok with auto-loot. But, doing a mish-mash is frankly irritating.
3. Lag remains a huge issue. This seems such low priority for Turbine/WB, yet it is such a huge issue for players, I don't understand why more noticeable and obvious effort has not been put into finding a solution for it. All the free goodies are great, but I'd gladly get rid of most (maybe all?) of that to have the lag fixed. Bribes to keep people in game are just that: bribes. Classless. Cheap. I've put a lot of real-life money into this game over the years, and the cheap fair trinkets aren't worth that. I don't mind spending my money on quality. And, this game always was quality... until recently.
4. Why the heck do I need to get yet another reason to click on the box in the bottom right corner, just to tell me "Check the store!"?! Tacky. Tawdry. And a DISincentive to wanting to spend money at the store. As I said earlier, I have spent quite a lot of money on this game. I'm willing to spend more, but I prefer to spend my money on quality, not cheap &&&&. The more of this stuff Turbine does, the more I feel I've entered a county fair. Maybe that's cool for kids, but I'm an adult. Treat me like it. As a business model, things are trending to K-Mart and away from Nordstrom. LotRO used to be the Nordstrom of games. And, now, like K-Mart, it is falling apart. I want to roll my eyes and cringe, "Another blue light special!" when the daily hobbit gift pops up.
I seriously think that a revival of many of the things that made this game great would bring back a lot of the people who left and hook even more of the new ones who happen to wander in as F2Pers. It worked previously. There's no reason to think it will not still work. Why change this game to be like others, when those others have been generally inferior to this one?!
Aralhos, L85 Loremaster ~ Noruiluin, L85 Warden ~ Mirangolil, L85 Runekeeper ~ Dewynth, L85 Guardian ~ Faenelleth, L85 Champion ~ Glaurferil, L85 Hunter