We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 151
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    mississippi
    Posts
    374
    I'm justing waiting around for Minas Tirith. So I can pitch my toons of the edge of the white trees courtyard. I'm with you john Noble!

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    I feel it's the opposite. They are removing all existing lore and not adding any new. Just generic fantasty &&&& like ice giants and whatnot. Without lore, why should we play this game? It's sub-par for an MMO, the only attractive part was that it used to be Tolkien lore based. Now it is a sub-par game with no lore.
    I started playing when the game went f2p. Moria and mirkwood gave me the best lore chills. One reason i love Moria and cant understand why others hate it. Aside from that the game has felt flavorless. No lore can be seen really.

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by deliguy View Post
    I'm justing waiting around for Minas Tirith. So I can pitch my toons of the edge of the white trees courtyard. I'm with you john Noble!
    As silly and lorebreaking as that scene was... thanks for the laugh. :P

  4. #29
    Thank you for this thread!

    My kin is now totaly dead with 5 active players, i remeber when we used to have atleast 17-20 active raiders on all the time within the space of one update no one logs in anymore.

    Raiding used to be the best part of lotro for me but since the revamps and poor content i just cant see any reason to log on anymore not even for the "free gifts"

    I'm really sad that a game that used to have me addicted has pushed me so far away, if you ask me the raiders are the lifeblood of lotro the most active and the most social with them gone middle earth is going to feel very lonely.

    I'm very sad to see this amazing game die for raiders.

  5. #30
    The expansion has little to offer for level 85 chars. I mean I played after the release until I thought "&&& am I doing here?". I do quests that give nothing more than token (yeah, more tokens plz) and XP for my mount, but there is no real progress of my character. Actually I find it kind of senseless to release level 85 content months after the Rohan expansion.

    Additionally I canceled my VIP membership early last year as there was no need to continue it. I am not a big raider, I explored the world, mastered the crafting skills, so I am more or less done. Farming better gear, for what? There is no need to do so and raiding over and over again to get the item of your desire is not my cup of tea.

    So yes, for me the endgame is missing. So what is the endgame for me? Well you may like it or not, but PvP is what keeps me playing other games. This never ends and in my view this is a very convinient way to keep players in the game with little effort. If you rely on PvM only, you have to release content quickly to keep players happy. Also with PvP it would make sense to farm items, really explore the potential of you character, form a group etc.

    I know this is not a PvP game and it will never be (I don´t count monsterplay as real PvP). I knew this from the beginning. But now I am at the point where there is nothing to do. Oh well, yes, I could visit the spring festival, probably I would see the same content recycled from the previous one.

    I still think this is a good game with a fine community, it has a huge and detailed world worth exploring and I would love to see it being more successful.

    Is this just moaning? Well, no. The thing is you have players leaving games without saying anything and than you have those who complain, but at least they say what they don´t like because they still care about the game and they want to see it improving. But even these players will stop investing time and money at some point and probably this is what is happening at the moment.
    Last edited by Arinala; May 21 2013 at 04:26 PM.

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Arinala View Post
    The expansion has little to offer for level 85 chars. I mean I played after the release until I thought "&&& am I doing here?". I do quests that give nothing more than token (yeah, more tokens plz) and XP for my mount, but there is no real progress of my character. Actually I find it kind of senseless to release level 85 content months after the Rohan expansion.
    Releasing new on-level areas is not a new thing for Turbine (see Great River, Enedwaith for example.) The areas' purposes have generally been to give new content and often some slightly upgraded gear.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    186
    I haven't noticed it on my server. We had so many people on warbands last weekend that the lag was kicking in with all the spinning horses and flying spells. Saw plenty of people in towns as well. Seems like Bree has gotten busier, too. I don't expect a big influx until HD. Until then populations will wax and wane.
    [center][b][color=#33CCFF]Pointy stick flinger of d00m. (tm)[/color]
    [color=#999999])))[/color][color=#cc9966]===========[/color][color=#ccffff]}>[/color][/b][/center]

    [center][color=#ff33cc]Avabella 65 Hobbit Guardian | Avawyn 65 Human Warden | Elenath 65 Elf Hunter | Elnauriel 65 Elf Lore Master | Rosalily 65 Hobbit Warden | Ariabela Hobbit Minstrel | Eluiniel Elf Runekeeper[/color][/center]

  8. #33
    I see a ton of people in the new area, and in Snowbourn, on Brandywine. The kin I'm in is more active than it has been in a long time. We are raiding at least three nights a week and picking up lots of new people recently.

    Some people grow bored of games and move on. Find new friends. This game has been out for what? 7 years? There is no way to stop players from growing tired of it after that long. I honestly can't imagine how any lifer is still here. No game has ever held my attention that long. The thing is, there are tons of new people replacing the old players. Your kin has to do the same or it won't be active.

    Also, I would like to point something out about endgame. It is a great experience for those of us who didn't play when the scaled stuff was done on level. Along with the new instances and raids, there is a LOT to do right now. It is why the kin I'm in is getting a lot of new people. There are a lot of us who still enjoy this game.
    Last edited by Cirgellon; May 21 2013 at 05:38 PM.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirgellon View Post
    I see a ton of people in the new area, and in Snowbourn, on Brandywine. The kin I'm in is more active than it has been in a long time. We are raiding at least three nights a week and picking up lots of new people recently.

    Some people grow bored of games and move on. Find new friends. This game has been out for what? 7 years? There is no way to stop players from growing tired of it after that long. I honestly can't imagine how any lifer is still here. No game has ever held my attention that long. The thing is, there are tons of new people replacing the old players. Your kin has to do the same or it won't be active.

    Also, I would like to point something out about endgame. It is a great experience for those of us who didn't play when the scaled stuff was done on level. Along with the new instances and raids, there is a LOT to do right now. It is why the kin I'm in is getting a lot of new people. There are a lot of us who still enjoy this game.

    maby you're increadibly lucky on your server/kin to be gaining more players than loosing them, but its an undenyable fact that there is constantly less and less threads on forums (bearly any positive ones at all) less items in AH less people raiding, grouping etc etc. And as for the endgame stuff..only because its scalable doesnt mean it drops gears of thesame quality gears as the actuall lvl cap raids do, and its about quality not quantity here, they can scale all instances and people are still going to moan (wit good reason) the only good raids are mirk/some moria ones and other oldies, anything new is just absolutely rubbish, short, pointless and easy

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    333
    I'll admit, the game isn't what it used to be...but hell I'm an optimist! Sooner or later Turbines income will drop to a point where they re-evaluate everything.(hopefully) as for the population problem, 2 words. Helms Deep. All of my in game friends who left recently are still excited about it, HD is one of the 3 big points in the whole lotr storyline. Helms deep *should* attract a ton of new people, and if turbine doesn't butcher it attract old players back and keep them for a while longer.

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliaf View Post
    maby you're increadibly lucky on your server/kin to be gaining more players than loosing them, but its an undenyable fact that there is constantly less and less threads on forums (bearly any positive ones at all) less items in AH less people raiding, grouping etc etc. And as for the endgame stuff..only because its scalable doesnt mean it drops gears of thesame quality gears as the actuall lvl cap raids do, and its about quality not quantity here, they can scale all instances and people are still going to moan (wit good reason) the only good raids are mirk/some moria ones and other oldies, anything new is just absolutely rubbish, short, pointless and easy
    Then find a better server if you want to do this stuff. If not, take a break from the game. It is pretty clear that some of you could use it. Yes, I know people will complain no matter what happens. That is just how some people are.

    Brandywine hasn't had a decline in any of that. The AH has a lot more stuff than pre Wildermore. All of the Wildermore crafted stuff is on there. There are also a lot more FA symbols and horse lords stuff. There are a ton of the barter items that are only gotten from these raids that you claim aren't being run. There is another thread asking about servers. People in there claimed there are recommended servers that are pretty full in new areas. I see lots of new people asking questions on Bramdywine. A few have joined my kin.

    I'm not lucky that my kin is getting people. We were losing people for the same reason your kins are. The guys who put events, instances, and raids together, stopped playing as much. People started leaving because the kin didn't do anything anymore. About two months ago, a few of us decided to change that. I started putting raids together at least three nights a week. Since then, we are getting tons of new people. We are getting a person or two every week just from pugging a couple spots in instances/raids. People leave inactive kins or just reached cap recently without a kin. So I get it. Your kin decided to die because no one is doing anything about it. I see it all the time. This makes the game look dead to you. It won't make this "the game is dying" rant true though. I have been seeing that since I started playing.
    Last edited by Cirgellon; May 22 2013 at 09:24 AM.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,044
    i do notice less and less ppl online... wish our server would become preferred server... might get a bit fuller... or otherwise merge 2 servers...

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirgellon View Post
    Then find a better server if you want to do this stuff. If not, take a break from the game. It is pretty clear that some of you could use it. Yes, I know people will complain no matter what happens. That is just how some people are.

    Brandywine hasn't had a decline in any of that. The AH has a lot more stuff than pre Wildermore. All of the Wildermore crafted stuff is on there. There are also a lot more FA symbols and horse lords stuff. There are a ton of the barter items that are only gotten from these raids that you claim aren't being run. There is another thread asking about servers. People in there claimed there are recommended servers that are pretty full in new areas. I see lots of new people asking questions on Bramdywine. A few have joined my kin.

    I'm not lucky that my kin is getting people. We were losing people for the same reason your kins are. The guys who put events, instances, and raids together, stopped playing as much. People started leaving because the kin didn't do anything anymore. About two months ago, a few of us decided to change that. I started putting raids together at least three nights a week. Since then, we are getting tons of new people. We are getting a person or two every week just from pugging a couple spots in instances/raids. People leave inactive kins or just reached cap recently without a kin. So I get it. Your kin decided to die because no one is doing anything about it. I see it all the time. This makes the game look dead to you. It won't make this "the game is dying" rant true though. I have been seeing that since I started playing.
    Brandywine is certainly suffering a decline in population and activity. Your kin may be doing fine, but that's because it's a good time for casual large kins, since the raids are easy and rewarded well for little effort. Sure, there are more horse-lord's recipes. There are L85 mobs now. And an exploitable public instance with an endless stream of L85 mobs. More recipes doesn't equal more players. I run around in Wildermore during prime time, and I see maybe 30 people, and that includes the 12-man 'moors group that comes to just farm the warbands. There aren't "tons" of people in Wildermore.

    You can blame the "game is dying" talk on other peoples' kinships, but as someone who hasn't been in a kinship for 4 years, it's very obvious to me that game population (at cap, at least) has dropped dramatically. Lower level population may be growing (though I suspect it remains pretty steady), but that is a different story if we're talking about your usual "come back and play at every update/expansion" crowd that until now has been pretty predictable.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Brandywine is certainly suffering a decline in population and activity. Your kin may be doing fine, but that's because it's a good time for casual large kins, since the raids are easy and rewarded well for little effort. Sure, there are more horse-lord's recipes. There are L85 mobs now. And an exploitable public instance with an endless stream of L85 mobs. More recipes doesn't equal more players. I run around in Wildermore during prime time, and I see maybe 30 people, and that includes the 12-man 'moors group that comes to just farm the warbands. There aren't "tons" of people in Wildermore.

    You can blame the "game is dying" talk on other peoples' kinships, but as someone who hasn't been in a kinship for 4 years, it's very obvious to me that game population (at cap, at least) has dropped dramatically. Lower level population may be growing (though I suspect it remains pretty steady), but that is a different story if we're talking about your usual "come back and play at every update/expansion" crowd that until now has been pretty predictable.
    Where do you get this stuff? Glff is just as populated as ever. I saw more than 30 people just in the main hub of Wildermore last night. It was the other posters claim that AH activity showed server activity. As you just stated, AH activity isn't down. The items prove people are playing since this last release and that raids are still being run.

    You can claim the game is dying all you want. It won't make it true. I can link to a lot of threads claiming this the last two years. It is at its worst whenever new games like GW2 or Star Wars come out. This seems to be a pretty prolonged death, or maybe people just like to act like the world is ending. Oh, the drama! lol...

    How about you try this? Type "game dying" in the forum search. Now look at the pages of claimes that just popped up, many from years ago. "My kin has less people, I don't see as much activity, no one is running stuff, etc....". Yeah, not at all original anymore.
    Last edited by Cirgellon; May 22 2013 at 11:10 AM.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2

    If only I could actually log into the game, I might could get excited for awhile more

    Another player from beta - lifetime membership from way back then. I have played this game on all sorts of computers over they years, PCs, BootCamp, Crossover Games, and always managed to get it to run, and have fun.

    I have 3 different machines, all of which used to play the game well unable to launch. Heck running the launcher on one bootcamp Win7 partition causes a blinking window frame which requires a system shut down. CTRL-ALT-DEL does not even stop that one. I have confirmed .NET 3.5 and 4.0 on all machines.

    I would love to be blase about content, I just can't get into the game since the latest patch. The one time I got on, the hobbit presents were about what I expected, sometimes fun, rarely too useful.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirgellon View Post
    Where do you get this stuff? Glff is just as populated as ever. I saw more than 30 people just in the main hub of Wildermore last night. It was the other posters claim that AH activity showed server activity. As you just stated, AH activity isn't down. The items prove people are playing since this last release and that raids are still being run.

    You can claim the game is dying all you want. It won't make it true. I can link to a lot of threads claiming this the last two years. It is at its worst whenever new games like GW2 or Star Wars come out. This seems to be a pretty prolonged death, or maybe people just like to act like the world is ending. Oh, the drama! lol...

    How about you try this? Type "game dying" in the forum search. Now look at the pages of claimes that just popped up, many from years ago. "My kin has less people, I don't see as much activity, no one is running stuff, etc....". Yeah, not at all original anymore.
    I didn't say the game was dying. The end game group game is definitely less populated, and will continue to drop as they devote no resources to it. But festivals and questing will live on, because there will always be Middle Earth fans, and there will always be MMO addicts (not saying that people who group aren't addicts as well).

    30 people in Wildermore is not anything compared even to Stangard a year ago. A year ago, there were lines of 6-man groups waiting to do dailies in LLG, in addition to a bustling town and a region full of questers.

    And AH activity doesn't show more people are playing--it shows that more loot is dropping. 1st Ages drop from lootboxes, are cheaper to get, and many people have them already and are selling their extras. The new crafted jewelry isn't there because more people are playing, it's because it's new and in demand. What else? There are fewer pieces of instance gear, fewer raid barter coins. There are more Horse-Lord's recipes because there are L85 mobs now that aren't in the crafting instances. There are people farming in the Wildermore goblin-rider daily, which is like the old Farms of the Norcrofts with more mobs with lower morale.

    Just because it's not a quick, sudden death doesn't mean the game isn't dying. It was dying near the end of Mirkwood days, and F2P saved it (though F2P was also the cause of the dying in the first place). It remains to be see if the "loot for everyone for no effort, only time" system keeps group content afloat, or if they'll just keep scaling stuff until nobody runs the stuff anymore and they start focusing more on how to get people to spend TP on festivals.

    While there are certainly some people who are exaggerating the degree of the decline of LOTRO, there are also the "head-in-the-sand" people who will deny any sort of decline, based mostly on things like "My kin has plenty of people, I see plenty of activity, everyone is running stuff, etc....". It's not all that original anymore.

    I'm just going on what I see as a player who hasn't been in a kinship since Moria. Fewer people at level cap, and fewer people returning for U11 than in previous updates. Even Enedwaith did a better job bringing old players back, and the game was even more dead in the water than it is now.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

  17. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    I didn't say the game was dying. The end game group game is definitely less populated, and will continue to drop as they devote no resources to it. But festivals and questing will live on, because there will always be Middle Earth fans, and there will always be MMO addicts (not saying that people who group aren't addicts as well).

    30 people in Wildermore is not anything compared even to Stangard a year ago. A year ago, there were lines of 6-man groups waiting to do dailies in LLG, in addition to a bustling town and a region full of questers.

    And AH activity doesn't show more people are playing--it shows that more loot is dropping. 1st Ages drop from lootboxes, are cheaper to get, and many people have them already and are selling their extras. The new crafted jewelry isn't there because more people are playing, it's because it's new and in demand. What else? There are fewer pieces of instance gear, fewer raid barter coins. There are more Horse-Lord's recipes because there are L85 mobs now that aren't in the crafting instances. There are people farming in the Wildermore goblin-rider daily, which is like the old Farms of the Norcrofts with more mobs with lower morale.

    Just because it's not a quick, sudden death doesn't mean the game isn't dying. It was dying near the end of Mirkwood days, and F2P saved it (though F2P was also the cause of the dying in the first place). It remains to be see if the "loot for everyone for no effort, only time" system keeps group content afloat, or if they'll just keep scaling stuff until nobody runs the stuff anymore and they start focusing more on how to get people to spend TP on festivals.

    While there are certainly some people who are exaggerating the degree of the decline of LOTRO, there are also the "head-in-the-sand" people who will deny any sort of decline, based mostly on things like "My kin has plenty of people, I see plenty of activity, everyone is running stuff, etc....". It's not all that original anymore.

    I'm just going on what I see as a player who hasn't been in a kinship since Moria. Fewer people at level cap, and fewer people returning for U11 than in previous updates. Even Enedwaith did a better job bringing old players back, and the game was even more dead in the water than it is now.
    So basically every time you get bored, you think the game is dying out? It just keeps get russurected! Did you ever think you just see less activity around stuff like finals, schools getting out, and the weather getting better?

    There are not fewer 85s running stuff on Brandywine. You just see a few people claim that and run with it. There aren't lines at quests now because of layers. I have had to transfer to my fellowships layer in the middle of nowhere in Wildermore. That means multiple layers are being used. You claimed there weren't even 30 people. I pointed out that more than that were in a single spot. You then claim that means nothing... Just lol.

    If you aren't in a kin, how would you know if old players are returning, or how many are on? You are very wrong about Wildermores population, so why would we trust your judgement? I'm seeing more people there than you claim, and that was the same day a new festival started. You can't even try looking at how many 85s are on through the social panel. It maxes out. So again, this is nothing but the usual drama. Just do that search. Exact same claims, just a different day/year.

    By the way, between releases, many 85s level alts and just jump on their 85s to actually run instances. Some take breaks for finals, moving from college, and summer. Every games population will slump some over the next couple of months. This one is still very active though. I suspect you are seeing these natural dips and confusing them with this theory that the game keeps dying and comming back.


    You should have no problem forming groups right now. I am pugging a ton. I run stuff with my kin a lot. There are tons of people still doing end game content. If your kin is struggling, and you still want to run stuff, take on an active roll. Lead the instances and raids. If you are a nice positive person, your kin will thrive. Again, my kin is picking up lots of new people without even actively recruiting them. This is happening because there are a lot who want to run stuff. That is the reason I keep getting on why they want to join. Maybe a lot of older players are leaving. There are lots of newer(not brand new, but at cap who didn't run this scaled stuff on level before) players who are loving the current end game.
    Last edited by Cirgellon; May 22 2013 at 05:20 PM.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    I'm just going on what I see as a player who hasn't been in a kinship since Moria. Fewer people at level cap, and fewer people returning for U11 than in previous updates. Even Enedwaith did a better job bringing old players back, and the game was even more dead in the water than it is now.
    [Emphasis added above and below]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cirgellon View Post
    If your kin is struggling, and you still want to run stuff, take on an active roll. Lead the instances and raids. If you are a nice positive person, your kin will thrive. Again, my kin is picking up lots of new people without even actively recruiting them. This is happening because there are a lot who want to run stuff. That is the reason I keep getting on why they want to join. Maybe a lot of older players are leaving. There are lots of newer(not brand new, but at cap who didn't run this scaled stuff on level before) players who are loving the current end game.

  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestache View Post
    [Emphasis added above and below]
    That wasn't directed at him. I even left an extra space to seperate it. It was advice for multiple others who claimed their kins were struggling. That guy just makes stuff up. His view doesn't really matter to me. There were, again, over 30 people in just Farlow all of last night. There were many more questing. I got delayed a lot at the pup farm because so many were there. I also joined multiple pugs in glff last night. There were even raids being advertised. One took about 15 minutes to fill after a guy started with 1/12 for t1 FLM.

    So I was reading glff last night as a guy claimed this game has no/a horrible end game. Another guy jumps in and they chat for a minute, comparing it to GW2. They claim this is why the game is dying. About five minutes later, I join a random Fornost run. Guess who is there playing the horrible, and non existent, end game? Yup, the same guy who is in glff every single day and is claiming there is no end game. Those two even refreced the thread on the forum. Then there are the guys who are getting called out on Brandywine for making big deals out of leaving this game, only they never leave. It even happened in a thread on this forum. So these are the people claiming this stuff... None of which is new. It will be 10 times worse in a few months judging by the history of threads. Some new MMOs will be coming out and we will be ready for the next part of Rohan.

    This is probably the most popular end game that LOTRO has ever had. Some claim they hate it as they play every day. Others did stop playing, after running everything a few hundred times since update 10. Is it really surprising that they get burned out? There are tons more taking it beyond the few hundred times mark. The OP is looking for some old players to return who were already in a pattern of only being on after updates. Those guys are gone. Newer players have replaced them. As seen by the years worth of identical threads, some peoples perception is off because of their dying kin.

    This is talking to more than just you Lestache. I wouldn't want to confuse you.
    Last edited by Cirgellon; May 23 2013 at 10:15 AM.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirgellon View Post
    That wasn't directed at him. I even left an extra space to seperate it. It was advice for multiple others who claimed their kins were struggling. That guy just makes stuff up. His view doesn't really matter to me. There were, again, over 30 people in just Farlow all of last night. There were many more questing. I got delayed a lot at the pup farm because so many were there. I also joined multiple pugs in glff last night. There were even raids being advertised. One took about 15 minutes to fill after a guy started with 1/12 for t1 FLM.
    We're both just making things up. Nothing either of us say will make much difference, anyway. You may say the game is packed, but I was in Farlow last night at 6pm EST, and there weren't even layers. I saw a total of 5 people on the landscape in the process of killing all 13 warbands.

    My comments are based on what I see--I'm not just saying things to upset you. The game "dying" doesn't mean that servers are going to be shut down next week. For me, all that's left is addiction. The rest is dead. They aren't creating content to be enjoyable for any reason other than reward. It's much harder to stick around when the hamster wheel isn't even disguised. Hobbit presents to get us to log in and spend Mithril coins. Long rep grinds created so we'll spend Mithril Coins. Gold class items added as loot in quick and laughably easy instances to get us to run them 100+ times.

    People have been saying the game is dying since Mirkwood. They were right in Mirkwood. It was dying for a year. RoI brought population back, but that doesn't mean that it's not dying again. It's not that outlandish a claim. Either the game is gaining population, staying the same, or shrinking. It's most definitely not *gaining* population, so it's either holding steady or dying. Only time will tell if Helm's Deep will help LOTRO hold steady, but if the trends from this expansion hold, it will not. Your opinion may vary. There's a Spring every year. There are natural drops in population around every expansion. I recognize this, as a Founder, but to me, the population lows are lower and the highs are less high. Take that for what you will. If my views don't matter to you, you can always stop replying to them.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by Exion_Blade View Post
    I started playing when the game went f2p. Moria and mirkwood gave me the best lore chills. One reason i love Moria and cant understand why others hate it. Aside from that the game has felt flavorless. No lore can be seen really.
    Me too. First time I entered Moria it had some flavour from the book - a dark place with holes to fall down and goblins suddenly appearing to kill you. I felt getting to Dolven View was a major achievement. Now it's all been lit up like daylight and you're led by the hand through a set of very easy quests. Ok some of the quests were untidy but comparing that to what we have now - 15 quests at every spot which take no time at all then you're led along to the next spot with another 15 quests on the way, I prefer the old system which gave a sense of achievement.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirgellon
    So I was reading glff last night as a guy claimed this game has no/a horrible end game. Another guy jumps in and they chat for a minute, comparing it to GW2. They claim this is why the game is dying. About five minutes later, I join a random Fornost run. Guess who is there playing the horrible, and non existent, end game? Yup, the same guy who is in glff every single day and is claiming there is no end game. Those two even refreced the thread on the forum. Then there are the guys who are getting called out on Brandywine for making big deals out of leaving this game, only they never leave.
    Some folks just keep playing even if they're dissatisfied, because they haven't found a suitable MMO replacement. They don't want to change their leisure time from MMORPG to something else. Also watching the big-mouths in GLFF doesn't alert you to the folks who have actually left.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cirgellon View Post
    The OP is looking for some old players to return who were already in a pattern of only being on after updates. Those guys are gone. Newer players have replaced them. As seen by the years worth of identical threads, some peoples perception is off because of their dying kin.
    See, you are making big assumptions. In saying that the OP is looking for old players to return, you're suggesting that myself, Gelderock, Xerodegreez, Cinderian, Zevus, Dorfortwuf, Thodinski, Viko/Lindendir, and others were players in a "pattern of only being on after updates." Those names are some of the many in Infamy, Wake's kin, that have quit or gone on hiatus from LotRO. That statement of yours reeks of trying to make the OP's comment fit your narrative. Brother, LotRO's been a group activity for each of us for years, with Infamy and other groups. I've never seen dungeons made so boring and faceroll as the result of the great U10 nerf--that's why I and pretty much the others quit (Thod rightly felt abandoned and went to RIFT, call it bandwagon effect). U11 does not sound like an acceptable offering to me; even the GR update offered a neat group questing area and a well-made 6man dungeon.

    So that's simply one kin, and I recognize that and it seems Wake did too with his caveat that he had maybe a small sample size. And Wake knows all about how summer is traditionally a low point in raid group participation, etc. Last I heard before I kinda dropped off the BW grid, though I remain very active on the forums, other raid-focused kinships such as Entropy and Shock & Awe were having folks leaving too, parallel to Infamy's dissection. I'll try and hit up my buddies in those kins to get the post-U11 lowdown. BWRG, well I'll let other folks in this thread tell you there, they know better.

    So a handful of raid kins/groups is still a small sample size. But the major complaint of everyone I've talked to in that collection of raiders, is that we were unhappy with the stupid-easy scaled content and the (as-a-whole) unsatisfying new lair raid cluster. That's reflected all over the forums in statements I see by raiders of big-name kins on other servers, Noldor coming prominently to mind. I won't say the game is dying; however, personally seeing a sizeable segment of BW's raiders quit and reading about other servers' raiders quitting leads me to think at least one part of the game's population is declining. I'm seeing mixed signals from players of other playstyles in this this thread.

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    We're both just making things up. Nothing either of us say will make much difference, anyway. You may say the game is packed, but I was in Farlow last night at 6pm EST, and there weren't even layers. I saw a total of 5 people on the landscape in the process of killing all 13 warbands.

    My comments are based on what I see--I'm not just saying things to upset you. The game "dying" doesn't mean that servers are going to be shut down next week. For me, all that's left is addiction. The rest is dead. They aren't creating content to be enjoyable for any reason other than reward. It's much harder to stick around when the hamster wheel isn't even disguised. Hobbit presents to get us to log in and spend Mithril coins. Long rep grinds created so we'll spend Mithril Coins. Gold class items added as loot in quick and laughably easy instances to get us to run them 100+ times.

    People have been saying the game is dying since Mirkwood. They were right in Mirkwood. It was dying for a year. RoI brought population back, but that doesn't mean that it's not dying again. It's not that outlandish a claim. Either the game is gaining population, staying the same, or shrinking. It's most definitely not *gaining* population, so it's either holding steady or dying. Only time will tell if Helm's Deep will help LOTRO hold steady, but if the trends from this expansion hold, it will not. Your opinion may vary. There's a Spring every year. There are natural drops in population around every expansion. I recognize this, as a Founder, but to me, the population lows are lower and the highs are less high. Take that for what you will. If my views don't matter to you, you can always stop replying to them.
    You said I was wrong and made some very specific statements. Your statements were completely wrong. It isn't opinion. You claimed during peak playing hours... Now you say at 6 est, which clearly aren't peak hours if that is what you saw. I highly doubt it though. I was on at 6:30 eastern to see 38 people just in Farlow. There were layers outside of Farlow and I saw many riding around. So again, your specific statement looks like a lie.

    You guys can spin it all you want. The end game is still active on Brandywine. To that last poster, the BWRG was definately doing raids for a while. I can't really say for sure about right now. I ran with them a few times after update 10 though. Also, you guys claim it is all so easy as no one has completed the challenges. I would bet that very few have completed the OD challenges too. This stuff isn't bad though, most of you just ran them way too much the first month. Of course you will be burned out now. You can't spend that many hours playing something as you say it is bad. It really doesn't make sense. And again, for each person that has left, there are more who are newer and didn't burn themselves out.

    Turbine sees the numbers. You guys can claim the end game sucks all you want. When they see you played every instance a ton of times, do you really think they will take you seriously?

    This "every old player didn't come back, so the OP is right", is just silly. As stated before, a lot of people will quit over a 7 year span. Not all old players will keep returning for updates. As seen in the many identical conclusions over the years, peoples perception is that the game is dying when those who quit are in their kin. Many others still do come back for these updates though, with many new players also replacing those who quit. Again, it is pretty clear that peoples perception isn't reality. Type "game dying" in the search. There are so many identical conclusions, starting years ago. Those threads also show this complaining/conspiracy talk will only get worse over the next few months. It peaks around the time the next update is due.

    Also Omen, some of those who ypu say left are exactly the people who have gotten called out recently for nor leaving. One of the guys even has a thread in the Brandywine section here. That guy didn't leave because one of the kins you talked about is trying to beat the FLM challenge.

    So Frisco, do you mind telling me your in game character names?
    Last edited by Cirgellon; May 23 2013 at 04:12 PM.

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirgellon View Post
    You guys can spin it all you want. The end game is still active on Brandywine. To that last poster, the BWRG was definately doing raids for a while. I can't really say for sure about right now. I ran with them a few times after update 10 though. Also, you guys claim it is all so easy as no one has completed the challenges. I would bet that very few have completed the OD challenges too. This stuff isn't bad though, most of you just ran them way too much the first month. Of course you will be burned out now. You can't spend that many hours playing something as you say it is bad. It really doesn't make sense. And again, for each person that has left, there are more who are newer and didn't burn themselves out.

    Turbine sees the numbers. You guys can claim the end game sucks all you want. When they see you played every instance a ton of times, do you really think they will take you seriously?

    This "every old player didn't come back, so the OP is right", is just silly. As stated before, a lot of people will quit over a 7 year span. Not all old players will keep returning for updates. As seen in the many identical conclusions over the years, peoples perception is that the game is dying when those who quit are in their kin. Many others still do come back for these updates though, with many new players also replacing those who quit. Again, it is pretty clear that peoples perception isn't reality. Type "game dying" in the search. There are so many identical conclusions, starting years ago. Those threads also show this complaining/conspiracy talk will only get worse over the next few months. It peaks around the time the next update is due.
    Judging by your speech pattern and attitude, I don't expect a good answer but I'll just drop it anyway Brandywine is one of the busiest servers. Seeing 38 people at peak time in a new zone 1 week after its launch is not impressive at all. In Great River, there was more than 100 people in less populated servers, chasing trees and trolls

    'You guys can spin it all you want', 'This "every old player didn't come back, so the OP is right", is just silly' these are just means to make your arguments look valid. When you read OP's post without changing it says 'few people came back' not 'every old player'.

    Endgame at lvl 85 sucked, from start to finish. This isn't burning out either. People didn't burn out for 5 years and suddenly they decided it is time after U10? People paid money for this IC so of course they will play for hours. But after getting 1st ager and armours, people didn't want to grind same thing over and over because it wasn't fun and had no replay value. Very bad designed IC.

    People at endgame now are addicted old players who runs same stuff thousands of times and new players who are experiencing endgame for the first time at lvl 85. Everything is new to them so they will play. But most old players have no motivation to come back. Bad written, solo, grindy lackluster zone with no group content is not worth the time.

    Both conspiracy theories and 'game is better than ever' posts are useless, you can't prove either of them...

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,713
    A quick count currently (8:30 EST) shows 67 people in the entire new area. More than half of them are in Forlaw, and I count at least 17 just standing there probably afk. No layers in any zone--the most people in any one area outside Forlaw is 11.

    It's not out of the realm of possibility that one could wander around the whole zone and only see a few active characters. I wonder how many of these 67 people are in the goblin-rider instance farming for recipes.

    But hey, if this is what counts as alive and well 10 days after an update, I say good on you for being an optimist.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

 

 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload