We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Where Is the Game Client Executable?

First of all let me say, updating this game has always been a painful experience for me compared to any other game I've played, so slow and inefficient, hours upon hours of downtime for every little update/maintenance is simply ridiculous. IMO, I believe this system of updating was deliberately implemented to keep people paying, while not playing.
    People in charge of this task, really need to take a page out of Guild Wars 2 (game I've been playing since release) in the way they update their game. It's so painless compared to Lotro, you cannot even compare them. For eg: in gw2 you get a message: a new build is available, please exit to update your game. So you log out and a few minutes later (depending on the size of the patch) you're back in the game. Most I've waited for game to update has been about 15-20 minutes and this is for their big patches. 99% of the time, the servers do not shut down for maintenance either and if they ever do, it's 1 hour at most.

Now we come back to Lotro, in particular patch 11. The most painful experience ever! I, like many others could not patch the game and after much frustration I, like many others, decided to reinstall the game. However, I did not have to re-download the game (or so I thought), since I had a back up copy that was about a month and half old. I changed my OS at that time from Vista to Win7 and after the changeover, I installed the game, patched it and it all worked fine until patch 11.
    Well, it was the worst decision I made. The patching process was like watching grass grow...it was that slow. It literally took 3 days to finally finish. This is simply absurd in anyone's book. And it seems all that d/loading was a waste of time and my d/load limit. I'm so upset you have no idea.
    After finally getting up the log in screen, I log in, select the world I played on, hit play, but instead of loading me into the game, it opens up my file browser and a message at the top says: Where is the Game Client Executable? I'm like freaking out, wth now!
    And this is where I'm at. I have no idea where the executable is or why it's missing. I used exactly the same backup as I did after upgrading my OS and my backup files haven't been changed.
    Does anyone have any idea what may have happened here? And even more importantly, how do I get the game client exe without having to re-download the entire game again? If I have to d/load the game again, I'm afraid it's goodbye to Lotro. This isn't worth the pain or time and effort. Anyway, any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushbaby View Post
    Does anyone have any idea what may have happened here? And even more importantly, how do I get the game client exe without having to re-download the entire game again? If I have to d/load the game again, I'm afraid it's goodbye to Lotro. This isn't worth the pain or time and effort. Anyway, any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Hi, I'm having a similar problem now and I haven't needed to reinstall for any reason in a while (everything has been fine until today). I think the latest patch that was applied today has messed up how the .exe is launched. I wouldn't redownload the game as I doubt that will fix anything. I'll be trying to fix this myself later today, and hopefully the devs will take a look and fix this for us so I don't have to try to find a workaround. Remain patient! You are not alone!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000be629/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Angry Same.

I just started getting those annoying messages too when I finished updating the game. Plus I JUST got a new OS to avoid a previous CTD issue, now I can't play at all, &&& Turbine?

Here's what someone is saying in another thread that may work:

at the top right on the launcher you will see V VV _ X
    click the V, go to settings at set No Proxy.

I'm not at home right now or I'd check it out myself, you guys should try changing that setting and see if it lets you log in.

Edit: It works. Woo!
    Last edited by Shadowjak101; May 17 2013 at 12:47 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000be629/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowjak101 View Post
    Here's what someone is saying in another thread that may work:

at the top right on the launcher you will see V VV _ X
    click the V, go to settings at set No Proxy.

I'm not at home right now or I'd check it out myself, you guys should try changing that setting and see if it lets you log in.

Edit: It works. Woo!
    Not working for me ((. This is really annoying...and just renew my 3 months suscription...

Quote Originally Posted by titlal View Post
    Not working for me ((. This is really annoying...and just renew my 3 months suscription...
    Are you sure your issue is the same as the OP's, there are multiple issues with different symptoms and different solutions, we need to know the exact problem you have to be able to suggest a fix.

Explain step by step what happens when you try to play the game, it may be a different problem you are having.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

Smile Solution for this problem

Hi

I had same problem driving me mad until some kind person replied to a post I'd made. Follow this link - it solves it.

http://support.turbine.com/ics/suppo...uestionID=3920
    Shadowmike (HNT) - Shadowburg (Burg) - Shadowheal (Min) - Shadowlore (L/M)- Shadowmaul (CH) - Shadowgard (Gard)- Shadowcap (Cap) - Shadowheals (Min) - Shadowrune (R/K) - Shadowward (Ward) - Shadowshreave (HNT)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmikeuk View Post
    Hi

I had same problem driving me mad until some kind person replied to a post I'd made. Follow this link - it solves it.

http://support.turbine.com/ics/suppo...uestionID=3920
    OMG! Ty, i don't even know exactly what happened lol but i d/loaded this when i saw the launcher trying to do it and it worked! Altho i'm confused coz i saw the game d/loading this product way back when it first started patching the game. Has C++ been changed in some way since? That may explain it. anyway, i can't believe i'm finally in the game, tnx.

Great !!! It Works !!! Thank you so much.