We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SPOILER ALERT/BALEWOOD:

Yeah, the Ent killing had me shaken too. I guess the reasoning behind it was that he'd become irredeemably mad, so killing him was kinda like killing Amdir (a human being) once he'd become a Cargûl. But still...

Even leaving the moral issues aside, how can a single Elf/Man/Dwarf, let alone Hobbit, be physically powerful enough to kill an Ent? I mean, we're talking about something that's essentially a walking giant tree, one of the creatures that tore apart Isengard like it was made of so many matchsticks. Why doesn't he just snap our character's bones?
    Last edited by Norliriel; May 21 2013 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin_Eldar View Post
    /shakeshead
    /nods

Since we're already in a fantasy land, I'm going to assume I'm using a poison that kills them painlessly. You can imagine whatever you like.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    This is just some elven propaganda.
    They never had stomach to do what needs to be done.
    My elf is a First Age Noldo, she's absolutely ruthless when she needs to be.

Tolkien's view of wolves reflects a European distrust of wolves, as seen in fairy tales; wargs amplify that view to always be servants of evil. Trapping and poison is what people have done to wolves for hundreds or thousands of years for the simple reason that they're competitors and is very appropriate to the setting we are in.

Modern knowledge tells us that wolves are reticent around humans unless very hungry, but there's no denying that they see farm animals as tasty, easy prey, thus keeping them as an "enemy" to some.

Quote Originally Posted by Namesse View Post
    My elf is a First Age Noldo, she's absolutely ruthless when she needs to be.

Tolkien's view of wolves reflects a European distrust of wolves, as seen in fairy tales; wargs amplify that view to always be servants of evil. Trapping and poison is what people have done to wolves for hundreds or thousands of years for the simple reason that they're competitors and is very appropriate to the setting we are in.

Modern knowledge tells us that wolves are reticent around humans unless very hungry, but there's no denying that they see farm animals as tasty, easy prey, thus keeping them as an "enemy" to some.

That is a completely good point. That is important to keep in mind.

Depends on the poison. Some types just make you fall asleep before you go. In our society we consider euthanasia humane. Wargs and warg pups are most likely suffering, tormented by evil and bound for a life of misery. Much like the dogs our society produces - The ones bred for fighting or trained to be aggressive. It's a life of fear and pain.

I understand the sentiment, though. I hate any quest that requires I kill any healthy feline. Even though it is just a game I don't like participating in it. What can I say? I'm a cat person. My LM is ok with her War Wolf, but I would have rather had a War Cat.

Most of our killing in Middle Earth is done in defense. Aggressive things aren't usually friendly so it's us or them (I also tend to leave any animal in game that simply threatens to attack alone). Or we'll harvest crops and meat for the local town. In Middle Earth it is a different time and a different circumstance, though. Hunting was for survival and they could only store so much meat. They don't have slaughterhouses and chain supermarkets and humane wildlife management policies. In our time we live in a very wasteful society. Meat rots on the store shelves yet people insist on hunting animals. This is disgraceful in my opinion. We hunt deer and elk for fun, starve the area predators who then look to our animals and people for food, then we blame them and see them as "evil". Anthropocentrism at its finest.

/rant
    [center][b][color=#33CCFF]Pointy stick flinger of d00m. (tm)[/color]
    [color=#999999])))[/color][color=#cc9966]===========[/color][color=#ccffff]}>[/color][/b][/center]

[center][color=#ff33cc]Avabella 65 Hobbit Guardian | Avawyn 65 Human Warden | Elenath 65 Elf Hunter | Elnauriel 65 Elf Lore Master | Rosalily 65 Hobbit Warden | Ariabela Hobbit Minstrel | Eluiniel Elf Runekeeper[/color][/center]

Hobbits might get upset. Elves would know that a warg pup is a servant of Sauron and would kill them (they might try to do it painlessly so yeah, a sedative-type poison). The people of Rohan absolutely would, without a seconds thought. Times were tough and dark in Rohan and if you think people would bite their nails in anxiety, I think you would be very mistaken.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001cba22/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Oraekja View Post
    I went back later and they were doing fine. It turns out they were only mostly dead.

Well if they were undead to begin with then obviously poison isn't very effective.

All of you are going to have to go back and cut off the heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    While it's not very heroic, it's much more humane to poison them than to slice them in half.

They may only be puppies, but they're still servants of Sauron.
    The fact that we are arguing the morality of clicking buttons
    in a video game is really sad

I understand that the elves formed a special group for handling this situation. People for Euthanizing Warg Puppies in Ethical Ways. PEWPEW. Membership is all Hunters.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

I was disgusted and spoke up when I found this in beta. even more upset that it went live.

It is optional but even still. Good guys don't do that.

This out-of-the-blue brutality in kind with the out of touch Update 10 and 11, I've almost stopped playing all together. 6 85 toons that have slain balrogs, fought impossible wizrads (The Rook ), and beaten back ringwraiths only to poison puppies? Bio warfare doesn't fit within the lotro universe.
    85 Cappy - 85 Burg - 85 Champ - 85 Hunter - 85 Warden - 0 Life

If you were camping out on the open plains, listening to the howls of wargs under the moonlight, thinking of all the innocent hobbits, humans, dwarves and elves (and little children of said races) who've been brutally massacred by wargs.... you'd poison the little spawns of evil too
    other favorite middle-earth games: The One Ring RPG by Cubicle 7; LotR: The Card Game by FFG; Hobbit/LotR Strategy Battle Game by GW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2