We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14

    LOTRO Review - talkGEEK

    The talkGEEK community have finished their review on this game. We will be revisiting the game after a few months for an update to see how things are progressing. We do not give scores, just relevant feed back for gamers and developers.


    talkGEEK Review for The Lord of the Rings - http://www.talkgeek.net/reviews/lord...ings-online.6/

    Wish the Devs all the best in the future and good luck.


    Thanks for reading, have fun all :-)

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by blueplain View Post
    The talkGEEK community have finished their review on this game. We will be revisiting the game after a few months for an update to see how things are progressing. We do not give scores, just relevant feed back for gamers and developers.


    talkGEEK Review for The Lord of the Rings - http://www.talkgeek.net/reviews/lord...ings-online.6/

    Wish the Devs all the best in the future and good luck.


    Thanks for reading, have fun all :-)
    Whoever wrote this review could use a couple of english classes. As well as writing classes. That was seriously awful.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Taravith View Post
    Whoever wrote this review could use a couple of english classes. As well as writing classes. That was seriously awful.
    I have dyslexia but I am working at improving my writting skills all the time. I feel that it is not as bad as you make out, perhaps looking for perfection?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    I'm not concerned about the english or after perfection but there are several inaccuracies in your review.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Maendae View Post
    I'm not concerned about the english or after perfection but there are several inaccuracies in your review.
    Reply to the review on this thread with mistakes I have made so I am able to improve the review.
    Last edited by blueplain; May 16 2013 at 09:08 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by blueplain View Post
    Reply to the review with mistakes I have made so I am able to improve the review.
    I'd rather not sign up to do that tbh

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by blueplain View Post
    Reply to the review with mistakes I have made so I am able to improve the review.
    Is this a legitimate website? No offense but it's very unprofessional to have that many errors and to ask for readers to help you fix them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,839
    There's nothing wrong with having dyslexia, it says nothing about your ability to write something good, nor your intellect. But when you are aware you have it, and publish something on the internet without proof reading by someone who hasn't, then do not be surprised to be jumped by... The Spelling Brigaaaaaaade! Frankly I've spotted numerous spelling errors.

    I'm sorry to say, but spelling errors will inevitably cause readers to be negatively biased towards your written piece. It goes so far that just a single spelling error in a resume is enough to be immediately rejected for that job you've just unsuccessfully applied for. Let alone multiple ones.

    I don't mean to sound condescending, and I hope that if this is a lesson learned, it's not a lesson that'll keep you from writing in the future.

    That said, that was one really elaborate review with lots of information and a proper summary. I haven't seen one of these in a while for LOTRO and I salute you for it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainothon View Post
    There's nothing wrong with having dyslexia, it says nothing about your ability to write something good, nor your intellect. But when you are aware you have it, and publish something on the internet without proof reading by someone who hasn't, then do not be surprised to be jumped by... The Spelling Brigaaaaaaade! Frankly I've spotted numerous spelling errors.

    I'm sorry to say, but spelling errors will inevitably cause readers to be negatively biased towards your written piece. It goes so far that just a single spelling error in a resume is enough to be immediately rejected for that job you've just unsuccessfully applied for. Let alone multiple ones.

    I don't mean to sound condescending, and I hope that if this is a lesson learned, it's not a lesson that'll keep you from writing in the future.

    That said, that was one really elaborate review with lots of information and a proper summary. I haven't seen one of these in a while for LOTRO and I salute you for it.
    Thanks, I used a few proof reading programs but it appears that I need to use better softwere. In future I will ask my community to read through my reviews to help with the misteaks that may be present.
    Last edited by blueplain; May 16 2013 at 09:22 AM.

  10. #10
    I have no problems with the language of the review; not everyone is born to be a great writer or an orator. It is a skill to possess.

    Nor can I find inaccuracies in the points you make in general. Fair enough from your point of view. I take it as a compliment on the part of the game that it is engineered for the patient and well disciplined. And no offense to the game I really love but it does feel slow especially in the beginning when you are sent off to kill rats and bugs and wolves at best; not to mention the "youngster" Sarah Oakheart and her springy step In short: Fair enough.

    But I am begging you; change the video you used and put something where you can actually see the game and not actors in a mini-movie.

    Thank you for your review
    [URL="http://www.tinnster.blogspot.com"]www.tinnster.blogspot.com[/URL] for those who enjoy gaming, cinema, literature.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Regensburg, Germany
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by blueplain View Post
    Thanks, I used a few proof reading programs but it appears that I need to use better softwere. In future I will ask my community to read view my reviews to help with the misteaks that may be present.
    I would recommend you really investigate the game before writing a review. Several things you discuss are just wrong, completely wrong, and it destroys any credibility you are looking for. If the reason is because English isn't your first language then I definitely recommend you get an English speaker in the game to help you out (see On Clans below). Here are a couple items just looking over the review:

    On Dungeons in RoR: In these dungeons you can attain star lit crystals and tarnished crests. You use Tarnish crests to craft nice legendary weapons and a horse and you use star lit crystals to upgrade these legendarily. The legendarily can each be upgraded three times and increase the power of the weapons/horse to give you that edge. (A horse? Really? I can craft a horse? If you talk about crests you also have to include symbols since you are referencing the creation of legendary items.)

    On Legendaries: Once your legendary reaches level 60 you then reforge it one last time. At this time you are able to name the weapon. (Unsure what you meant to say but you can name a legendary each time you reforge, and not just weapons but all legendaries. There is more but you need to find that out yourself.)

    On Clan Functionality: The kingship's in LOTRO are quite simple. You are able to create ranks and add people to the kingship and does not evolve much from there. However you are able to own a kingship house in which the clan can meet and store all there wares. (Whoa! They did a kin upgrade and didn't tell us?!? A clan? If I get a kingship house is it a castle? And on the subject, if we have a kingship and a clan, are we Scottish?)

    On Combat: Slow and lackluster. You need a lot of patients when leveling in this game. Not due to the time it takes to get to cap which has been reduced in the period of the games life but the combat can be slow to knock out the skills you cast. (Um, I don't know what you are fighting but I find combat very fast. You want to experience slow combat? Try playing EQ, now that's slow combat! Yes, this one is subjective, but it is general concensus.)

    These are just a few of the many more that exist. I commend you for wanting to get out there and write, but you need to do research for something like this, not base your review on your feelings alone. Sorry if the replies seem brutal but you need to expect it:

    1. You wrote a review on a game many folks are very passionate about.
    2. The review is full of glaring mistakes and false information that make it seem you haven't played or at least have not experienced the things you talk about. I assume you've played a bit and alot of the things you got wrong are common knowledge items.
    3. You posted the review on a site that portrays itself as an "expert" site, thus it seems you are looking to be counted as an authority on the game, its mechanics, audience, story and so on.
    4. You posted a review that is full of grammar and spelling mistakes. As stated, if English is not your main language you need to get with someone who speaks and writes it fluently and plays the games. Then you would know that we are in kins, not kingships, and the group is a kin, not a clan. Little word problems like that will destroy your credibility as a reviewer and a writer.

    When you step off into that role of "I am now an authority" you need to expect the backlash. I am not saying to stop writing, far from it. Just research your material first, proofread and get others to proofread as well, and wear heavy armor when you release the review...
    Last edited by Tarmuar; May 16 2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Am I the only one that can't use the Return key when I type a reply???
    [B]Crafting - Explorer - Tailor/Forestor/Prospector - 9s Across the Board[/B]

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by blueplain View Post
    I have dyslexia but I am working at improving my writting skills all the time.
    Well that explains a lot of the awkwardness of the text.

    However, knowing that you have issues with language and writing, you must realize that publishing works that are supposed to function as a precise and informative analysis and will be subject to public scrutiny might not be the best idea ever.

    Once again, especially considering the issue of dyslexia, your efforts would be better served by training your writing skills in an environment where people can give you informed feedback that's more tailored to your specific needs. There are surely communities on the internet that are aimed at people with dyslexia and would be more helpful in what you're trying to achieve.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

  13. #13
    Or at least start with a bit of proof reading, spellcheck and decent punctuation.

    The "your/you're" thing is always cringe-worthy to me for some reason.

    I couldn't take that review seriously as relevant feedback.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPet View Post
    Or at least start with a bit of proof reading, spellcheck and decent punctuation.

    The "your/you're" thing is always cringe-worthy to me for some reason.

    I couldn't take that review seriously as relevant feedback.
    I will take your critisim on board and work at improving my writting skills. Thank you for your time.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload